spring softball

Posted by waterbottle21 on Tue, Mar 7, 2017, at 8:52 PM:

Have any of the larger schools in the bootheel, who now play their softball season in the fall, considering switching their season to spring?

Replies

• Depends on your definition of the Bootheel.

If by Bootheel you mean Dunklin/Pemiscot/New Madrid counties, then no. Kennett is the largest school in the "Bootheel" (those three counties) and they've played spring since it first began. I think Portageville was the only other "larger" school to switch from fall to spring at the end of the last school year.

If by Bootheel you mean Southeast Missouri/Semoball schools/Parkland/Lead Belt, none of the bigger ones have switched to spring this season. Can't speak to whether or not any of them are "considering," which was the basis of your question, but it looks like all the big schools in the area (Cape Central, Jackson, Notre Dame, Perryville, Sikeston, Poplar Bluff, Farmington) are sticking with fall.

I think the bigger schools will stick with fall since their numbers to field a team won't nearly be as impacted as they are in smaller schools when volleyball season is going on. More girls to choose from who choose to play softball over volleyball during the fall. If you look at it, basically the only small schools in the area who are still competing during the fall (Naylor, Neelyville, Chaffee, Van Buren) are schools that do not have volleyball. If any other bigger schools do switch from fall to spring for the next school year, I'd say Saxony Lutheran and Twin Rivers are probably the most likely.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Mar 7, 2017, at 11:20 PM
  • sorry I was vague, I meant the schools like Cape, Jackson, Sikeston, PB etc..

In the lead belt MAAA, I know for a fact that Ste Gen is going to switch to spring starting the 17-18 school year.

I've also heard the Park Hills Central is strongly considering it and prety much a done deal, along with Fredericktown and Potosi..

Not sure about NC and Farmington. But if 2 or more schools switch, that would leave no conference for them to play in thus be forced to move to pring.

One interesting fact, of the MAAA teams considering moving, none have girls soccer teams..

Thanks for your insight Legend..

-- Posted by waterbottle21 on Wed, Mar 8, 2017, at 6:49 AM
  • Per KFMO Sports, all the schools in the Parkland have switched over to spring softball now with the exception of Farmington, Fredericktown, and North County which, as waterbottle21 correctly points out, are the only schools in that area that have girls soccer during the spring season. This means that Park Hills Central, Potosi, and Ste. Genevieve are now joining the slate of teams that will be competing for a district title during the spring season.

Any softball fanatics out there have any insight into what's going to become of fall softball now that so many teams are switching over to spring? Could fall softball now just be a thing for the (mostly) bigger schools whereas spring softball is for the (mostly) smaller schools? Seems like softball is always going to have to draw from other sports regardless of the season (volleyball during the fall, soccer during the spring).

Interesting discussion.

-- Posted by The Legend on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 1:07 AM
  • Those switching, like PHC, just want an easier path to hopefully get to a state championship. Getting away from the competition.

-- Posted by BTIndians on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 3:09 AM
  • Park hills will beat every time in spring by 10 plus runs. It's a shame. I don't see what the big schools get out of beating everyone by 10-20+ runs.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 7:42 AM
  • Spring Softball is a joke. Compete in the fall when everyone else does or your state title means nothing. Come on MSHSAA open your eyes. One sport played twice a year with two different state champions? If we are doing to do that, then lets have a spring football season.

-- Posted by cardinalnation on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 12:12 PM
  • Another 10 years there will be more teams in the spring than fall. Softball should be in the spring with baseball it's a shame years ago the big fall push happened.

-- Posted by Bootheelbball on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 12:22 PM

Curious as to why it's a shame.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Sat, Mar 25, 2017, at 3:02 PM
  • 128 is the magic number for MSHSAA. Once that number of teams is reached in the spring--there will be two classes. 128 will give them enough schools for 16 districts in two classes. Each district would have four teams.

-- Posted by mosoftballfan on Sun, Mar 26, 2017, at 1:23 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: