Semoball

High School Football Forum: What happens to all the money?

Posted by 4REAL on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 9:44 AM:

Where is all the money going from High School playoff's and Championship games MSHSAA is raking it in and now charging to watch it on TV. How much money is MSHSAA worth? Do they help out with struggling schools athletically, schools needing new lights or bleachers maybe a scoreboard, Do we need MSHSAA? Could all that they do be done through elected officials. Who selects the people that make up MSHSAA? Shouldn't voters through out the state vote for these people? MSHSAA is making bank! do they have a scholarship they award each year do they help needed students? Is their salaries public?

Replies (20)

Lot of good questions but they are the government of high school sports in Missouri. That's like asking college sports to get rid of NCAA or asking the Catholic Church to overthrow the Pope and Vatican City.

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 9:56 AM

They are not part of the state government. MSHSAA is made up of, and operates with the consent of, its member schools. There is a full-time Board of Directors, approved by the member schools. There are numerous advisory committees, made up of members representing various regions of the state, and consisting of Principals, Athletic Directors, and Head Coaches, from member schools.

Any and all revenue collected by MSHSAA is, ostensibly, used to pay for the event sites, game officials, etc. for the state tournaments to function. The Board of Directors are well compensated for their roles.

Long story short, MSHSAA IS the member schools, not a sovereign body governing high school athletics. Anything the member schools want to change, they can. There are Area Meetings and elections on a regular basis, as well as annual Advisory Committee meetings for each sport. If there are issues that you have a strong opinion on, or have specific concerns, I would encourage you to approach your school's Athletic Director, Principals, and Superintendant. I have also both called and emailed the MSHSAA Board of Directors directly on many occassions, and received prompt, direct answers.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:10 AM

Lippy!! READ!! Please at least make a descent attempt to comprehend before you shoot down what you THOUGHT I wrote. The government "of high school sports in Missouri" is what I said. I never said they were part of the state. A governing body isn't always part of the state or national government. I even gave examples!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:22 AM

I was in no attempt trying to shoot down what you wrote. I was attempting to add to the explanation, since, in your all-knowing reply, said, essentially, nothing. Big shocker there.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:25 AM
  • lippy is correct. When it comes to rules and regs the member schools really are in charge.

Jstt-could we possibly have a slight problem with the ego?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:30 AM

Nope! God bless you guys and Happy Thanksgiving to your families!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:35 AM

Go Green Wave!

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:39 AM
  • MSHSAA is a non-profit organization. Fox Sports decided to not renew its agreement with MSHSAA.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 1:07 PM

But they still air state title games in Iowa and Wisconsin, both of which I think have been on this season?

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 2:16 PM
  • MSHSAA had nothing to do with it. Pete is correct. Fox did not renew. Most of the money goes to the NFHS Network, who is showing the game.

You guys and your reactive rants that you know nothing about. Just fire from the hip.

-- Posted by justafan51 on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 2:40 PM

He said, she said: Fox Sports Midwest media relations officer Geoff Goldman provided a statement on the network's involvement with televising high school football.

"We enjoyed bringing the football and basketball championships throughout the state for many years. However, the MSHSAA has decided to go in a different direction with their media rights. We wish MSHSAA and the Show-Me Bowl participants the best," the statement reads.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 3:08 PM
  • Saying HS athletics could handle everything themselves is comparable to many "fans" thinking athletic contests could take place without game officials!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 6:00 PM
  • I know Kerwin Urhahn (MSHSAA director) personally... I talked to him regarding this exact subject a few years back. He said when he became director, MSHSAA was actually PAYING Fox Sports Midwest to televise the event. Upon the next contract negotiation, MSHSAA was able to get rid of the payment to FSMW. Now, evidently, FSMW didn't like the new arrangement...probably not making enough money.

Also, at the same time, Kerwin told me that the gate was down, across the state, and MSHSAA did not reimburse the participating schools at the Show-Me Bowl, Final Four, etc....in all sports. I confirmed that with our AD. Our AD told me that we (Sikeston) did not receive any money from MSHSAA to pay for hotels, food, etc.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 8:22 PM

They got money to feed the players last I knew. Must've stopped fairly recently. Justafan, what's your problem with us discussing these issues? Are you saying that the above quote from Fox Sports is not factual? You just came on pretty strong for someone that may not be accurate in what he is saying. Do you have someone you personally don't want criticized or questioned?

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 8:30 PM
  • Lippy...that was part of it at one point, but according to Kerwin that was halted due to slow ticket sales across the state. MSHSAA could have reinstated it recently, for all I know. I hope Sikeston gets the chance to find out in March. Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 9:50 PM

Well I would think the athletes that make the events possible would be worth a fraction of what the new MSHSAA Headquarters building in Columbia. Place is a mansion.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Thu, Nov 26, 2015, at 10:48 PM
  • This is a direct quote from the USA Today story, Lippy. I am not making it up.

The Missouri State High School Activities Association's agreement with Fox Sports Midwest for broadcast of the state football and basketball championship games expired at the end of the 2014-2015 academic year.

An old production rights agreement with Atlanta-based PlayOn Sports kept MSHSAA in an agreement with the NFHS network, which offers streaming video of high school sports events. MSHSAA Communications Director Jason West explained the expiration of Fox Sports Midwest's distribution agreement.

"When we went to talk with Fox Sports about renewing that agreement, they chose not to," West said. "Without that distribution system, we fell back to NFHS network."

-- Posted by justafan51 on Fri, Nov 27, 2015, at 12:36 AM
  • I wonder how many administrator's salaries there are at MSHSAA, like communication's director. My guess is like any bureaucratic organization, there are many directors and assistants of something. Just saying...

Wish the games were on TV!!

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Nov 27, 2015, at 7:08 AM
  • Are the championship games today on the MSHSAA website ?

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Fri, Nov 27, 2015, at 11:40 AM
  • Yah ya gotta pay ten bux to see it though

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Nov 27, 2015, at 12:03 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: