Semoball

High School Football Forum: Sikeston vs Charleston (Time to say goodbye)

Posted by PapaJohns on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 12:51 PM:

I am all for rivalries and the impact they have on local communities but when one game becomes so lop sided it's time for it to go away. This rivalry game only benefits the Sikeston JV players they have since they end up playing the majority of the game. Let's look at the attendance, the home team (Charleston) had half the fans that Sikeston brought....Keep the basketball going but it's time to bury the oldest "rivalry".

Replies (18)

• Agreed, the game benefits no one

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 12:59 PM

Yeah something has to be done. Charleston, unfortunately is going to be way down for a good long while

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 1:12 PM

As much as I love having the rivalry due to historic reasons, I do agree it has to end. It's not as fun as it use to be and definitely not worth watching when Sikeston puts their JV squad in the majority of the game. Also, this is Sikeston's 8th or 9th (something like that) win in a row over them in football. So it's not like it's been back in forth in the win column.

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Mon, Aug 24, 2015, at 1:52 PM

Unfortunately, this game has not been competitive in the last several years. Charleston is close to becoming a Class 1 school in football and the football team's success will go in cycles; with the current schedule, many more down years than up. When the school was larger, at least they could field a competitive team in at least 90% of their games.

I've held on to this rivalry for a long time and I'd like to see it continue, but......It's very frustrating for a fan and former player to see the lack of effort put forth by the players on the field. Winning breeds success and losing breeds hopelessness; that may very well be the prevailing attitude of the Charleston players and it makes it doubly difficult on the coaches to change the attitude......getting drubbed in the first game doesn't help; makes them think, "well, here we go again" ..... they desperately need a win against Hayti!!

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 2:48 PM
  • U have a young team still bird fan. Lots of freshmen and sophomores. I seen a team that didn't quit Friday night even tho they were losing by that much I have faith in them. As long as they keep playing every year and doesn't lose interest.,

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 3:44 PM
  • Agreed mrs T!! I thawt the Jays kept battling til the end!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 3:53 PM

Heard, today, that they've had good practices, this week, and they fully expect to beat Hayti. Got my fingers crossed!!

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 4:29 PM
  • The last two games have been blow-outs, but wasn't the game just three seasons ago a close one? Sikeston won, but Charleston was at least competitive. Unless the Jays drop to Class 1 in football, I would hate to see this historic match-up come to an end.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 5:07 PM

Yeah in 2012 it was 27-14 Sikeston

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 8:59 PM
  • Class 4 schools shouldn't be playing class 2 schools.

-- Posted by jayrod on Tue, Aug 25, 2015, at 9:07 PM
  • I agree that the rivalry has lost it's appeal but it's got nothing to do with a large school playing a smaller school. That's always been the case. I know Charleston was a larger school 20 and 30s years ago but Sikeston was always quite a bit bigger. The problem is Charleston, unfortunately, has not been up to put out a competitive product on a consistent basis. Sikeston has blown them out, yes, but so has everybody else. So should Charleston drop everybody? But I totally agree that this game has not done much good for either side the last several years.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 8:13 AM

semohoops-

It absolutely has everything to do with a larger school playing a smaller school. There are not many examples in the state of teams being competitive with teams two classes larger. Webb City, yes. Valle, maybe. Those are the drastic exceptions. The only reason this game has been out of hand for 8-10 years and not 30 is that Sikeston under-achieved for a couple of decades. Yes, the Charleston program has been in the doldrums for the better part of 15 years. Yes, the Sikeston program has spent the last 8-10 in much better shape than it was for a long time. But a decent Class 4 is going to pound a struggling to average Class 2 every time. And the only reason this game is still scheduled is to placate the 40+ year olds that still want to re-live the old days. It's pointless, and counter-productive to what the Charleston coaches are trying to get done. Also pointless for the Sikeston players- they didn't exactly find out anything useful about themselves last week, or get much better. Just my two cents. I understand everybody has an opinion.

-- Posted by Lippy Radeck on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 8:35 AM
  • If that's the case then these two should have never been playing since Sikeston's always been significantly larger.

But I think the main reason it's out of hand is not that Sikeston is Class 4 and Charleston is Class 2. It's because Charleston has been bad. It's simple as that. Schools Charleston's size are beating them as bad or worse than Sikeston is. The only exception was two years ago when Charleston fielded a competitive team and it was only 27-14. If Charleston could somehow get back on the map and be competitive, not just with Sikeston, but with ANYBODY, then this could be an appealing game again.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 8:47 AM
  • I agree, It's time to say its been great, but time to go. Surely there's Ill or KY teams we could take there place.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 8:57 AM
  • Sikeston plays Cardinal Ritter a class 2 school also. Why is a class 4 school playing class 2 schools.

-- Posted by jayrod on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 10:04 AM
  • It is sad to see Charleston's football program sink so low. Back in the 1980's when I was in high school, the Blue Jays always fielded a good team. I realize Charleston was a bigger school back then. Maybe when this young group matures into upperclassmen, they'll have a good team again.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 1:25 PM

The problem is they are trending more towards a class 1 school not a top class 2 with their enrollment. Too many kids are transferring out of the district.

-- Posted by PapaJohns on Wed, Aug 26, 2015, at 2:48 PM

Yeah I think Sikeston should switch Charleston (and might as well ditch NMCC too) out for one of the teams in their district next year or maybe get a class 5 or 6 team like Fox, Seckman, or Northwest on their schedule. More higher class teams than the two they have to play due to them being conference rivals (Bluff, Jackson) would earn some extra district seed points just for playing them alone.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Thu, Aug 27, 2015, at 4:42 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: