Semoball

High School Football Forum: Playoff/District Proposal

Posted by Boogin77 on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 6:17 PM:

I am a fan of the new district and seeding format, however, why does it have to be an 8 team district?

Why not have 16 four team districts? Keep everything else the same, seeding the teams 1 through 4 and then letting 1 play 4, 2 play 3, and reward twice as many teams with district championships. And likely cut travel expenses.

Class 3 for example:

C3, D1

1. Dexter

2. Kennett

3. Fredericktown

4. NMCC

C3, D1

1. PHC

2. Potosi

3. Ste Genevieve

4. St. Pius

That would have cut down on a LOT of travel last night and the end result will likely remain the same, only difference is 2 teams could be District Champions instead of 1.

Who's against this and why?

Replies (125)

• Makes really good sense. More competive games and less travel. I agree one hundred percent

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 8:17 PM
  • I don't like the travel, but I think it's important to not go back to the old format that allowed 25 percent of the football teams in Missouri to win district titles with four-team district tournaments.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 8:41 PM
  • We don't let 25 percent of teams in any other sport win district championships.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 8:42 PM
  • Yeah but you dont let 50% of the teams play in the first playoff game in any other sport Dustin so whats your next bit of wisdom

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 9:03 PM
  • Ok Dustin, you think it's really important not to go back to a 4 team district...

Why?

Every other aspect remains the same, points, seeding, starting week 10, what specifically are you opposed to?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 9:22 PM
  • I don't see the reasoning. The FB playoff system is nothing more than a "district" tournament, same as in basketball, baseball, etc. In basketball and the other sports, "every" team plays in a district tournament, with the possibility of advancing to the state championship.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 9:24 PM
  • This idea sounds like Pre K soccer where everyone gets a snack after the game and a medal at the end of the season.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 9:32 PM
  • No you eliminate the 1-8 game where one team is going to get blown up 77-0. You wind up with ultimately better games and sooner.

Has nothing to do with everyone getting a trophy and everything to do with decreased travel, better games, increased ticket sales due to more regional interest. What game do you think would sell more tickets; Dexter vs. St. Pius, or Dexter vs. NMCC? Being able to reward more kids for a good season with a district championship is really only a fringe benefit, and only for the kids, school, and community. And what's wrong with that really?

As for, every other sport has 8 team seeded districts, other sports also don't take near the physical toll of football. You could play basketball every night of the week if you wanted to, baseball too. It doesn't take the toll and there isn't nearly the amount of preparation needed for those sports. Comparing football to basketball or baseball is simply foolish.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sat, Oct 25, 2014, at 10:38 PM
  • I'm ok with putting the teams in two divisions. But I say one district championship for every eight teams.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 12:09 AM
  • I'm not a huge fan of the four-team softball districts in the spring. I think they should be eight-team districts as well.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 12:10 AM
  • Ok Dustin, WHY? You aren't a fan of it, fine.

Why?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 12:32 AM
  • If you go to four team districts you will still get beat downs

-- Posted by footballfanatic#1 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 6:57 AM
  • It doesn't matter because as long as all 64 teams from a class make it, they all still have to play each other. And the top #10 teams in the class would still have to play someone in the 1st round -- and they'd play the poor teams because when everyone gets in, the only way to reward a team for a great regular season is with seeding.

If only 32 of 64 made it to the postseason, would there be a few teams left out who could potentially win a game or 2? Of course, but very, very few who could conceivably go to the Final Four. And making it to the postseason would mean something, so when a weaker team managed to scrape in it would be a successful season even if they lost the first playoff game.

-- Posted by Thegridirongeek on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 11:41 AM
  • Ok then don't treat week 10 as "the playoffs". Week 10 is the play-in based on your seeding. Playoffs don't actually start until this week.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 11:58 AM
  • I love your idea Boogin.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 12:32 PM
  • I agree that what Boogin said about week 10. Playoffs starts this week. Kennett folk saying we have won 1st playoff game since 1985. Completely different format. If format was same as 1985, Kennett would not be in playoffs and season would be over. We won week 10, so we get to extend season. Huge win but that's the way I look at it. Now lets get this week 11 win and then try our luck with PHC!!

-- Posted by bball79 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 1:02 PM
  • Last week was the FIRST round of the the district playoffs.

The former football coach at DeSoto, presented a proposal to the MSHSAA football advisory committee a couple of years ago, to try and get the 8-team districts removed and go back to the 16 districts with 4 teams each. It was rejected by the advisory committee.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 2:11 PM
  • -- Posted by Pete Czeria on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 2:15 PM
  • Pete,

This is a different proposal altogether, keep the 9 game season, keep the point system, seed the 4 team district, just do it with 4 teams instead of 8. Reduce the ridiculous amount of travel, likely keep the same ultimate result, and reduction the amount of pointless 1 vs. 8 matchups.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 3:33 PM
  • Here's my proposal (which will be torn apart by you all), but I think it's solid. 7 and 8 seeds do not make the playoffs. 1 and 2 seeds get byes. 3 v. 6 and 4 v. 5. Sure, there are instances when 7 will beat 2, but that's not going to happen too often. Teams need to earn the right to play in the postseason, and by getting the 7 or 8 seed, a team didn't earn that. By not making the 7, 8 seeds travel to get beaten (more times than not), mshsaa will also allow these teams to possibly end their season with a win (week 9), which would not happen if they make the playoffs. Just an idea, I'm sure very few will agree.

-- Posted by kools&oe on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 6:14 PM
  • Kools. Now that's an idea that makes sense.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 6:30 PM
  • I think top two teams play and the rest go home. Like it was back in the 80s

-- Posted by agflyer on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 6:51 PM
  • Pete,

This is a different proposal altogether, keep the 9 game season, keep the point system, seed the 4 team district, just do it with 4 teams instead of 8. Reduce the ridiculous amount of travel, likely keep the same ultimate result, and reduction the amount of pointless 1 vs. 8 matchups.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 6:57 PM
  • Sorry for the double post, phone froze.

Kool,

While that's a solid proposal, MSHSAA still wants to make $5 per head, you're proposing getting rid of 2 games per district, per class. They'd never go for that, too much money lost.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 7:01 PM
  • My idea would stop it

-- Posted by agflyer on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 7:02 PM
  • Kool, that would be my solution as well.

Boogin, I never realized that MSHSAA keeps 100% of the gate money from playoff games.

-- Posted by Thegridirongeek on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 9:34 PM
  • How much does the host school get to keep?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 9:59 PM
  • Pretty good idea, Boogy! The class 4 dist one and two wooda been cape vs perry and sikes vs farm, hills vs desoto and festus vs ncounty. A game or two wooda saved a bit of travel expense.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Oct 26, 2014, at 11:12 PM
  • Yeah would have saved Desoto 160 miles round trip.

Would have saved Dexter 200+ miles round trip.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 1:19 AM
  • With the money football generates and the fact the games are on Friday night I would think travel shouldn't be much of an issue for school districts.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 1:25 AM
  • Dustin,

I've asked you multiple questions, you gonna answer them or just keep making ill informed posts?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 2:19 AM
  • Fredericktown would still have a long drive wouldn't it?

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 5:33 AM
  • I think the reason for the current format was to give strong teams an opportunity to play more games. In the old format from the 90s and 00s, you'd have two or three state caliber teams in the same district. They wanted a system where those teams would have a better chance to advance. You basically end up with the same deal, but those teams would have a couple extra games to play. And I think the reason for the 8 team district is the same. If you went to this 4 team district proposal, what if you have three of the best teams in the state in the same district? Your 2 vs. 3 matchup is in the first round and a great team stays home in week 10. No obviously in an 8 team district the same thing basically happens, but at least they get the "feeling" that they made it farther by playing an extra week. Just my two cents. Personally I don't mind the current format. It's the best we've ever had in my opinion.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 8:12 AM
  • I doesn't matter how they find the best team...All you have to do is WIN BABY WIN!!!

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 8:16 AM
  • Sorry Kools, but the 5th best team in an 8 team district doesn't deserve to make the so called "playoffs". But neither does the 3rd or 4th place team in an 8 team district, for that matter. Only the 2nd place team in a district has a legitimate argument that they could have faced the eventual state champion in district play, and therefore, could be the 2nd best team in their classification. Any other format is to make everyone "feel good about themselves" for making the playoffs. And, of course, to make more money.

I just glad basketball coaches aren't such babies. Win your district or go home!!

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 9:59 AM
  • The football format is exactly like basketball. Only difference is the points system instead of the coaches having a seed meeting

-- Posted by footballfanatic#1 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 10:02 AM
  • How many times have a lower seed beat a high or top seed on basketball? I don't recall any calls to change the format when that happens. There's drawbacks to everything, but starting the season and making all playoffs on Friday is the best improvement MSHSAA has made recently.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 10:30 AM
  • Yah i like the current format cuz it allows u to possibly play someone not on ur current schedule rite off the bat.

Not about fredtown mrs T but boogy's proposal would most likely save them some travel also.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 10:58 AM
  • Oops just looked at freds district, ur rite it woodnt save them much travel

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 11:00 AM
  • I like that all the games are on Friday, just wish the season started last week of August, miss some oppressive heat. It wouldn't kill anyone to have football season end the 2nd week of December. Other states do it.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 11:25 AM

Yeah but then football would fall into the basketball season and alot of schools have players of both sports. The last thing we wouldn't want to do is to make kids choose one specific sport.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 11:55 AM
  • Other states have players that play basketball, too. It works out for them.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 12:16 PM
  • Yeah, almost every state that borders us has a football season that ends later than thanksgiving and somehow they manage to have kids play both football and basketball. It CAN be done.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 1:36 PM
  • Arkansas finishes their football season in December I wish Missouri had the same type of schedule It wouldn't interfere with basketball. Rivercrest won a state title in football and basketball a couple of years ago

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 8:29 PM
  • All I know is that at the Riverbend Classic some of the teams from other states doesn't have their whole team there because some are still playing football. So therefore they can still do both but have to wait for one to be done before they can play the other all the way.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 8:36 PM
  • Ok and what's wrong with waiting a week or two? They get the opportunity to play basketball all summer at camps taking kids away from football for weeks at a time, what's the difference?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Oct 27, 2014, at 11:24 PM
  • Because everyone knows basketball is way more important than football. 😀

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 8:14 AM

Ah the gold standard of trolling.....Dustin Ward lol

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 8:27 AM
  • TFA I think you're joking, but I agree. People get all worked up about football but the truth is this. After a few teams in our area, football isn't played at a very high level.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 9:25 AM
  • Kennett got routed this year by Greene County Tech and I'm not sure they have won another game in arkansas. Friends of mine in Paragould say Tech is terrible this year. Agree with jwhitlock. After a few teams, very few, football in SEMO isn't good. SEMO known for basketball.

-- Posted by bball79 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 1:03 PM
  • Not too fond of Greene County. They weren't the nicest people to our guys in summer ball.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 1:20 PM
  • So, a team with 2,3 or 4 losses early in the season, that might have 3 or 4 key players recover from injuries just in time for the district, "shouldn't" have an opportunity to advance?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 1:25 PM
  • You're aware there's more to Missouri High School football than the SEMO area. Not every region cares about basketball.

That's part of the reason teams in this area rarely compete into November.

Basketball would thrive just fine if football was played into the 2nd week of December. By the time kids hit the varsity level, basketball coaches already know who will make the team and who won't. So the kids will miss the first 2-5 games, there are 30 played, they aren't missing much.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 1:26 PM
  • Lamar or webb city would get turboed by half the semo area hoops teams the same way as they would turbo us on the gridiron. A lotta times in life u just cant have it both ways. If ya love football way more than hoops, semo is just not the place to be. Its still fun to watch the regional rivalries but we pale in comparison to the west. We are spoiled though by the level of hoops played in this area.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 2:51 PM
  • Boogin u want me to freeze to death? I'm sensitive to cold I'm old!

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • Boogin, awareness on my part is insignificant. I don't care about football, whether it be inside or outside the SEMO region. I understand that you do and I even understand why you're saying what you're saying. I just don't care much about football.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 3:40 PM

Not a bad idea but honestly a lot if not all SEMO area fans are ready for basketball and don't care much about football once December hits. I think it's still best for Missouri to stick what we have and not try to extend the season into December

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 4:48 PM
  • SHS BUM21,

The same old, same old mentality is what is wrong with this state. It won't kill anyone to end the season in December. It MIGHT kill someone if football continues to start in the middle of August in 100+ degree temperatures, or if someone is ill prepared from having only 5 days to get ready for a game because we just HAVE to get done by Thanksgiving. It's so backwards.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 10:06 PM
  • Jwhitlock,

I don't care about basketball, so we can agree to disagree, you'll also notice since I don't care about basketball, I don't participate in their forum. Since you don't care, why post here? Not 100% sure what you made that post at all since it contributed nothing to this conversation, except to tell me you don't care about football.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 10:09 PM
  • why boogin I wasnt aware that I was obligated to answer To you. I commented because I felt like it. And I didn't tell you anything. I referenced TFA in my comment.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 10:22 PM
  • The 5 day argument has no merit. Every game is on a Friday. Pretty simple

-- Posted by footballfanatic#1 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 10:42 PM
  • Only playing every Friday because the season started 2 weeks early. That doesn't happen every year.

Options in the past have either been

A. Start playing mid August in oppressive/dangerous heat.

B. Play every 5 days to appease basketball coaches.

Both of those options are terrible. Start last Friday of August, first Friday of September, and play through the 2nd week of December. Every game on a Friday (or Saturday depending on your lighting situation).

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 11:18 PM
  • Oh and jwhitlock, you addressed me in your comment, thus the response. You do get how that works right?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Tue, Oct 28, 2014, at 11:20 PM
  • You are a complete joke Boogin77.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:27 AM
  • You are one of those guys that has no respect for that athlete that won the boys state tennis title next spring just because more people showed up to watch the state baseball championship. The tennis athlete worked just as hard as the baseball pitcher that threw the no-hitter regardless of who attended.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:39 AM
  • Boogin that is the format from here on out. So it will be every year

-- Posted by footballfanatic#1 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:42 AM
  • Initial post, my friend. Initial post. You spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time trying to convince the world you're the smartest guy out there. It seems you get offended if someone disagrees with you or doesn't endorse exactly what you say.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:34 AM
  • Jwhitlock,

Whatever, you addressed me and got a response, not sure how you're even arguing it. I don't care if you agree with me, but at least have a good reason to disagree, not just "I don't care for football" that's not a reason, or an argument.

Dustin,

You're a troll. I've asked you multiple questions, trying to get you to explain your unfounded assertions, you choose to post RANDOM quips that have little to no bearing on the post at hand, and then disappear, or choose not to respond, or like I said are just a troll with no real opinion on the subject. So either answer the questions I've asked, or don't bother responding to this post.

I don't care about ticket sales or who showed up to the event. The accomplishment DOES matter regardless of sport, don't try to tell me what I think when you can just barely verbalize what you think.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 1:25 PM
  • Footballfanatic#1,

So you're fine with kids in full pads playing (up to) 3 games in 100+ degree temperatures? Just so basketball isn't inconvenienced...

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 1:47 PM
  • I think anyone that wants to play football two weeks into December has zero consideration for the impact this would have on winter and spring sports and the harsh weather conditions football season would end in some years.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 1:59 PM
  • It won't ever happen

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:02 PM
  • Unless you want to push the ending of high school baseball season to the last week of June and play basketball into April.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:05 PM
  • Dustin,

Basketball could play 3 days a week instead of 2 and end at the exact same time they do now.

Or just do without a few players who also play football for a few weeks. No one complains when football players have to miss the first game or 2 because Legion baseball season went long and that's not even a school sponsored sport! Why does basketball get special treatment?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:24 PM
  • I want you to consider this from a statewide perspective and not a regional one.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:27 PM
  • As usual Ward takes what could be a legitimate debate, and argues his side with the dumbest point possible. If you don't think you could fit 30 game(which is about the most you will see a team play in a year) from the 3rd week in December to March and continue baseball right down its current path, you're an idiot.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 2:43 PM

I thought this was a Football discussion board.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • Boogin,

Bless your heart. You do care deeply about wanting everyone to agree with you. Otherwise you would not get so upset when someone disagrees with you.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 3:14 PM
  • Again this is why I have said in the past if you read wards comments you realize he doesn't know much. I wouldn't get all bent out of shape over his opinion!

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 3:27 PM
  • Delaying the football season until December runs the risk of games having to be rescheduled because of snow and ice, esp. in the northern part of the state. Playoff games can't be cancelled like regular season games. The schedule would quickly become a nightmare. You also have health risks of kids playing in sub-zero temperatures and wind-chill factors. Personally I like the current schedule.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 3:58 PM
  • I agree with Preacher.

What do they do when it snows in December if you can only play once every seven days?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:07 PM
  • Bill Shakespeare

The dumbest thing possible is playing football two weeks into December.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:08 PM
  • Boogin77

The reason Legion gets to go that long is because MSHSAA has nothing to do with it. If they were over it they would make sure it ended by the start of football season.

I don't think basketball should be allowed to start until the Monday after Thanksgiving, but the smaller schools that don't have football like their Thanksgiving tournaments. Keep in mind not every school has football. Every school has basketball.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:15 PM
  • Dustin, it still irks me that the Little League World Series bleeds over into the beginning of the school year and football season. I can't blame the kids who play for the Squirrels, but it cost us two starters in the first game against Ste. Gen. They could have made all the difference in the world in that game and in our season. As I said, I don't blame the kids or their families because its a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I just think it should be re-scheduled so it doesn't conflict with school or football.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:30 PM
  • Thank you D Ward.....until now I was only wondering if you were really that clueless.....now you've put the matter to rest.

Whit please do us, and yourself, a favor and find a basketball forum to express yourself since you ..."don't care about football, whether it be inside or outside the SEMO region". (Your words not mine). Or did you forget you said that too? You're only making an *** of yourself here.

-- Posted by QuitCryin&PlayBall on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:36 PM
  • You are going to worry about the kids health in the show but not in the 100 degree heat index in August? Genius. In the mid 80s the state championships were played in the snow, kids were just fine. NFL plays into January, don't see why high school couldn't play into December.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:39 PM
  • Because they aren't going to let the buses travel hundreds of miles for state quarterfinal and semifinal games in heavy snow Squeak.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 5:56 PM
  • Oh but they will travel to Kansas City for the state championship in 82 or 83 in heavy snow? They've done it before, Dustin. That's what you forget. Or maybe just don't know they have before.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:00 PM
  • Preacher Man Fan

Every state is different. Keep in mind this is a national event.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:15 PM
  • i'm 400 percent against it.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:16 PM
  • Squeak, I never said I wasn't worried about the heat, but you have to pick your poison here so to speak. I would be much more worried about teams travelling in the ice and snow than in the heat. MSHAA mandates numerous water breaks to help manage the heat and games can be played later in the evening too. But what do you do with sub-zero temperatures and wind-chills and several inches or feet of ice and snow? School get cancelled, then games have to be re-scheduled and it might take several days to get it all done state-wide, esp. in northern Missouri. By the time it's all said and done, you might be to the end of December playing the championship games, then you run into Christmas, etc. No, I think the current schedule is much more feasible.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:25 PM
  • Dustin,

Since you're a meteorologist...how much heavy (more than 3 inches accumulating) snow has fallen in Missouri before December 15th in any given year for the last decade?

I'll go ahead and tell you...not much.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:31 PM
  • Preach,

This is Missouri, not North Dakota. Yes you'll get the occasional terrible early winter, but by and large the BAD weather doesn't hit til January or later. Again, not saying there is NEVER bad weather in early December, but don't act like there is a blizzard EVERY December 5, 6, and 7th because that's not reality.

Will it be 100+ with high humidity in mid-August? Yes, almost without fail.

So you'd rather play in almost certain dangerously high temperature because of the POSSIBLITY of the rare early December blizzard? Makes sense...

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:43 PM
  • There is snow in November. Terrible idea.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 6:58 PM
  • Rarely, and not enough to cancel anything.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:00 PM
  • Dustin,

I asked a specific question and want a specific answer. How often has there been more than 3 inches of snow on the ground before December 15?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:02 PM
  • I like how all you clowns take up for each other. I don't think I'm making an bleep of myself at all. You guys don't like Dustin and others because they challenge your thinking. So you gang up because you're under the false pretense that intelligence is derived from a strength in numbers. I think it's more along the lines of you guys think everyone should just bow down and kiss your butts.

The bottom line is your idea is not as feasible as the current systems. However I vote that we all say aye in favor,of your idea so you can put down the tissue.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:10 PM
  • It depends on what part of the state you live in. Probably last year in most locations was the last time it happened.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:19 PM
  • Haha ok, Dustin...way to show some actual facts and figures.

Whitlock, go to the basketball board, maybe they'll appreciate your "intellect".

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:26 PM
  • Jwhitlock,

Since you're so "intellectually superior" can you go ahead and actually present a counter argument, something besides "I don't care about football"?

Or you can just keep attacking me and postponing the revelation that you don't actually have an argument against the proposal, you just prefer basketball and don't want basketball coaches inconvenienced in any way.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:32 PM
  • So basically if it went into December that would be state and in November it would be districts right? So since most of us in this part of the state really doesn't go that far so we'd be done and still in basketball in November, except for the select few that goes a little farther. Since none of us has any say on the seasons beginning and ending this is just a discussion so why get mad? No one can be right or wrong. Do I like football starting in August heat? No Do I care if it goes into December? I'm thinking I don't have to worry about that. So there that's my input on this.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:46 PM
  • Can't you read? I already said the current system is more feasible.

Crap, in my first post I even admitted to you that I understood where you were coming from. Cry me a river with the intellectual superiority fodder.

As far as the snow aspect goes. Virtually every school in Wayne, Ripley, stoddard, amd Bollinger county missed the entire week of school, the second week of December last year. Now that's an anomaly, but it did happen.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:50 PM
  • December or January? I remember them missing the week of school, but pretty sure that was January.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:53 PM
  • It actually occurred three different times in these parts. 5 days in early December, 4-8 days in early January and another 4-8 in early February.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 7:56 PM
  • Yep it did in December because our tourney was cancelled some days because of it.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 8:00 PM
  • How far did those teams in those counties go last year?

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 8:22 PM
  • Haha

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 9:08 PM
  • If it only happens once every 10 years it's a problem. What do you do when there is 12 inches of snow on the ground and you need to drive up to Moberly to play a state semifinal the first week of December?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 9:28 PM

Yeah lol people act like we live in Green Bay Wisconsin lol. We don't play In snow lol!

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 9:35 PM
  • From St. Louis north, you get a lot of snow in December. I lived in the St. Louis area for 10 years, so I know what I'm talking about there.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 10:26 PM
  • I've lived in St. Louis now for the past 5 years, so I know what I'm talking about as well. Hasn't been bad in early December at all. Actually, last year at the dome it was warm. I know it's a week earlier than what we are talking about. But it wasn't cold at all.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 10:40 PM
  • You lived in Pacific, there's not a ton of snow in December. That is reality.

There is EXTREME heat in August. That is reality.

So Preach I'll ask again. You're ok with the CERTAIN exposure to dangerous heat, because you're worried about the RARE CHANCE of snow.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 10:41 PM
  • Yes, Boogin, I lived in Pacific (which is about 30 minutes from St. Louis), but you're wrong about the weather. I lived there (and in Warrenton) and there is often a lot of snow in December in the St. Louis area. Tons of snow? Of course not. Enough that school gets called off? Yes. The further north you go, the more snow they get. Even in Semo, where the winters are more temperate, just last winter, think how much havoc the weather would have played with your proposed schedule.

Boogin, I've already answered your question. Yes, I'm more comfortable with the kids travelling and playing in the heat than the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures of December. Roads covered in snow and ice are more dangerous than clear roads in August. In my opinion, the heat is more manageable than the cold. Also, don't forget that football season begins long before the middle of August. The boys are out there practicing in the oppressive heat all summer long.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:00 PM
  • But those refs aren't use to that heat! Lol

-- Posted by woodsy owl on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:07 PM
  • If your son had died because of the heat? I ask because someone will.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:13 PM
  • What if a whole bus load of kids died riding on a snowy/icy road in December? What about the kids that may die practicing in June, July, and early August?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:16 PM
  • You're ridiculous, and your going to have to make me get into an almanac to show you the weather isn't half as bad as you're suggesting in December.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:21 PM
  • http://average-snowfall.findthebest.com/d/a/Missouri

Highest snowfall average in all of Missouri for the month of December... half an inch.

Terrifying...

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:32 PM
  • No need for an almanac, just go back to last winter. And what about the oppressive heat in June, July, and early August the boys are practicing in?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:34 PM
  • Most schools nowadays will not let their teams travel in inclement weather and if school is called off all sporting events are canceled as well. Last year Jackson wrestlers couldn't go to Parkway South the first weekend in December due to ice and snow!

-- Posted by woodsy owl on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:36 PM
  • Boogin, I do believe you looked at the wrong column on the web-page you linked to. It looks to me like you were looking at November, not December. The very first example it gives for December is Powersville, MO, with an average snowfall of 7.9 inches.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:45 PM
  • Never mind, wouldn't want to upset basketball coaches. Never mind that every state that borders us goes into December, you guys are right, Missouri could never do it...*sarcasm off*

Explain that to me, why is it EVERY other state around us goes into December, but it is just INCONCEIVABLE/IMPOSSIBLE for Missouri to do it. Why is that?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Oct 29, 2014, at 11:46 PM
  • Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois all follow the same playoff schedule that Missouri does and football wraps up by the end of November. Why would that be? Could it have anything to do with harsher winters in those states?

Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee all wrap up football in the first week of December. So far as I can tell, no one goes into the second week of December or further. Again, could that have anything to do with the weather?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 12:40 AM
  • Illinois has gone into December in years past, calendar may be different for them this year idk.

I'll amend my proposal then, end the 1st week of December. Look at that, compromise.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 5:29 AM
  • Well, we're making progress then Boogin. I could live with the first week of December too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 9:52 AM
  • Remember to take facility availability into account. As it is now, there's nothing that happens at the Jones Dome the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. The Rams may have an occasional Sunday game that weekend, but it doesn't interfere with MSHSAA games. Same could be said for Arrowhead in KC, but that's outdoor, early December could be VERY cold in KC. Mizzou may have scheduling conflicts for Faurot Field. But how about some of the smaller colleges around? Again outdoor stadia is only other option than the Dome.

I think the biggest drawback would be what days would you play the championship games on a first weekend in December schedule? Friday & Saturday as it is now or Sat & Sun? The present schedule is already holidays so no school would be missed, Anything else would affect school schedule too. I would think the schools would adjust if their teams were going to State if December games were played.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 10:18 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: