Semoball

High School Football Forum: Who is Lamar

Posted by Eaglesview86 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 8:51 AM:

So much talk about this Lamar team on other threads. I thought I'd do this instead of adding to dozens of other posts on an older thread. It won't sum things up. A fella could post stats on a team like them all day long. Just a fairly quick look at why most of us say.....they are the 2014 Class 2 champs again.

46 and 7 since 2010. Playoffs every year. Ranked in top 10 and usually top 5 since the 2010 season. Averaging about 50 points a game last 5 seasons. Last year they scored 659 points and gave up 173 ending with a 50.7 for and 16 against on the season.SCA champs in 2009, 10,11,and 13. District champs in 10,11,12,13. Anyone confused yet? Competely overtook the 2012 and 2013 Caruthersville teams that dominated most of SEMO scoring over 100 points against them and only giving up around 35. THIS IS NOT LAMAR! Their numbers are even better. This is Liberty Mountain Views stats. And 4 of our 7 losses the past 5 years have come to the hands of Lamar. We played them very close in 2010. Should have won. Had them tied at half time 7 to 7 in 2011. But since the second half of that game, it's never even been close. Our offense has been amazing the past several years. Lamar has shut us out the past 2 years!! I have not seen Malden play. All I'm going to say is this...unless you are a much much better team than Liberty has been the past 5 years, it's an uphill battle. If you beat them it will be a game for the ages and one that will be considered one of the greats. IMO. And one more quick side note. This year through 6 games, they have given up 6 points. One touchdown. Good Luck Green Wave. If you win out, there is a monster from the West headed your way.

Replies (56)

As of the 2010 census, the city population was 4,532 in Lamar. Only question I have is where are they getting players from, teams in Southeast Missouri happy with a 40 man roster. Some how Western Missouri teams that are Class 2 are able to get 50+ kids out. Portageville and East Prairie in SEMO has about 30, Hayti 22, Charleston 27. I don't know if anyone else have compared this.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:29 AM
  • They've built a great program at Lamar that the kids are excited to be part of. But you also have to consider socio-economic conditions here in Semo too. The counties in the Bootheel are among the poorest in the state and football is an expensive sport.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:35 AM

Lamar ended up having around 70 kids on the roster last season I believe. That's insane for a Class 2 team.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:36 AM

Crystal City always seemed to dress around 60-70 when we played against them. They were class 2 at the time.

-- Posted by OldManFootball on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 9:52 AM

Mountain View is a city in Howell County, Missouri, United States. The population was 2,719 at the 2010 census.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:00 AM

Class 2 has 64 schools Student enrollment breaks are 235-419.

Class 2 District 1 Schools

East Prairie - 318

Caruthersville - 317

Kelly - 306

Malden - 271

Charleston - 269

Scott City - 258

Hayti - 253

Portageville - 241

___

Lamar - 404

Mountain View- 353

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:00 AM

How are cities that are smaller than Caruthersville and Malden population wise, having bigger student populations ?

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:02 AM
  • Hey Eagle, lets play basketball!! Haha just teasin, ur assessment is spot-on. Semo is hoops heavy whilst the wild west is gridiron strong. Im not from semo originally so i cant really comment on the huge chasm caused by geographics but i would guess the west just starts the kids out earlier in a football mentality and grinds out powerhouses year in year out. Here in sikestown, most of the hoopsters can be found atta gym somewhere 365 days a year, regardless of age. I dont think football is really serious til hischool, and even then its just a seasonal sport.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:02 AM

Souteast Missouri is Basketball Country for Missouri. The round ball dominates. The state championships back it up.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 10:12 AM

I think if you include girls b-ball it is definitly in the west again IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 11:05 AM
  • My question to everyone would be just how committed are your kids to training? Weight lifting, speed training, aerobic training, resistance training.....anything that would involve after school, over the summer, or even weekend sessions? Those of you that think your kids do a lot, would probably be amazed at the elite programs' workouts AND, more importantly, the overall attendance at each. Wanna be superior, sweat, blood, and tears baby.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 11:45 AM
  • That's how phc has got better. Over 90% participants in the off season.

-- Posted by pj1972 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 11:52 AM
  • The 8 months between the dome and the first week of camp is undoubtably the deciding factor on a teams success. Not wins and losses per say, but getting noticeably better.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:02 PM
  • Yes and those 8 months are where most semo schools are lacking. Its just not an offseason concern in this area.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 12:06 PM

90% ? Wow, that is unreal! I guess valle puts in some time too.

-- Posted by BIZ MARKIE on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 1:57 PM

More students, more possible football players with 70 players Cheesehead, 17% of their students played football.

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 2:37 PM

ThadCastle are these Powerhouse schools sharing players with other sports ? I know in Southeast Missouri you lose players in June to team Basketball camps and Shootouts

-- Posted by bootheelsports on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 2:39 PM
  • Ive watched part of lamar vs blairs oaks 2012 championship game and lamar is very impressive. They are a 3 peat state champs and im sure a favorite for their fourth. With 404 kids enrolled and the class 2 enrollment cap is 419( mshsaa site) leaving them 15 students away from class 3 why not take the plunge and move up to class 3 since they are already playing and beating higher class levels? No disrespect meant towards lamar just curious to why they dont move up and dominate another class?

-- Posted by line buster on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:44 PM
  • I'm not sure MSHAA just allows a team to move up on their own. But if it happened there's a school called Maryville that has dominated Class 3 the last few years like Lamar has dominated Class 2. Maryville hasn't lost a game in three years. It would be a fun match-up that's for sure!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:47 PM
  • Most likely, but the weight room doesn't discriminate sports. This goes for any position: a kid with average technique that is a gym rat can over power a kid with above average technique that doesnt lift over the summer. I've know guys from Festus/North County who were playing summer baseball/basketball who still lifted every chance they got and were standouts at 2 or even 3 sports. Nowadays all kids do in the summer is sit on playstation before their baseball games. Playing summer ball is a great thing. But it's no excuse to not lift.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 3:57 PM
  • Theres more sports in high school than football...Im sure in other sports lamar prolly would want to stay right at class 2. I understand this is a football forum but schools have more than football to offer.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 4:24 PM
  • Classification is determined by the sport. Lamar is 3a in baseball. Just figured it would be more challanging moving up if they could. Build their program even stronger.

-- Posted by line buster on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 4:40 PM
  • That would take a few teams dropping football or a big jump in enrollment for them to bump up to class 3 in football.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Fri, Oct 3, 2014, at 11:29 PM
  • I love the lack of basic knowledge as to how classification works.

You don't get to "pick" your class, enrollment determines it. Period.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 1:25 AM
  • Is it true, Lamar has not won their conference even though they have won state multiple times.

-- Posted by Kzar on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 7:27 PM
  • Guys, as you know I only post only when Lamar is mentioned. My disclaimer is I am from Lamar and know little about your area of the state other than Scott County always laying it on the SWMO team of choice in the final four in basketball. I live in Lamar and my kids went to school there.

It is really simple. Coach Bailey is local, the kids are local (no imports) and he is a motivator that has the kids buying into his program. The weight room is religious and he found a unique offense that works.

Lamar pop. 4,500 is 40 Miles north of Joplin and since the shutdown in Lamar of the areas largest factory in four counties shut down about 8 years ago it has turned into a bedroom commute to JOMO / farming community. We are one of the smallest if not the smallest school in the Big 8. Lamar did three way shared a piece of the conference title in early 2000s. Other than that you have to look back to I believe 1931 for a football conference championship. But we have had 3 state football titles, 2 state track and one state cross country in the last three years.

I do not want to come across as bragging because I often wonder how they do it and this year was a "reload" year. All of their games will be a little tougher from here on out. Aurora, CJ then districts.

-- Posted by Arcola on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • I forgot to mention we played Maryville in 2009 semis and lost 21 to 7. The next year they went 3A and the rest is history.

-- Posted by Arcola on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 9:11 PM
  • That's a hell of a conference. To win multiple championships and fall shy of winning your conference. Truly better football played down there, than this side of the state.

-- Posted by Kzar on Sat, Oct 4, 2014, at 9:23 PM
  • Lamar's tenure over the past few years has been unbelievable. Their Coach has got his program running in top shape; something every coach longs for. Has anyone actually seen/watched Lamar play this season? I understand they've graduated quite a few Seniors from the past couple seasons, including some Mizzou, Arkansas, & SIU recruits. Just see a lot of people on here talking about how they're an improved team, just wondering who has actually witnessed them play this season?

-- Posted by JustTalkinSEMO on Sun, Oct 5, 2014, at 12:31 PM

In my opinion, football is a much bigger deal on the western side of the state than on our side. The community support and participation rates are considerably higher over there. That's true not just for SWMO vs. SEMO but also for KC vs. StL and NWMO vs. NEMO.

These things have impacts in various ways. The two I notice the most are depth and the level of play along the line of scrimmage. Big kids on the west side of the state grow up dreaming of seeing action as linemen for their high school team from the time they are in elementary school. And they start working hard to attain that goal starting with their youth football programs. You have some kids like that on the east side but not nearly so many. As a result, the playoff contenders from the west will generally feature a bunch of big, athletic, physical well-coached linemen, often playing just one way. That makes a big difference.

It's not that the west has more elite athletes who play football. Nearly every year the east side produces more NFL draft picks than the west side. It's the participation and dedication that give the west side the edge.

As many on this board know, MRH (along with Caruthersville) has been the east power in Class 2 for the last several years. They were the last team to beat Lamar in the playoffs when they got them in the 2010 semis. (Lamar dressed about 80 for that game and had many, many more fans even though the game was played on Webster Groves' home field.) This year MRH had to forfeit a game (against Borgia) because it didn't have enough healthy players. I doubt that happens much on the other side of the state.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 9:28 AM
  • Basketball will always be bigger in SEMO area than football. It is all about tradition. No need for apologies, that's just the way it is and it's never going to change. And basketball is a cheaper sport, don't take much equipment, and every kid can practice if they have a ball and a hoop.

I should add for this comment is for the boys. I think SWMO has the edge on the girls side with basketball.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 11:29 AM
  • You can listen to Lamar games or even live streaming when it works at this site,

http://mycountry1017.com/

-- Posted by Arcola on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 12:40 PM
  • Eaglesview,

Is Mtn View playing better lately or did they just stumble a bit against Thayer? I kind of figured judging by previous scores, Mtn Grove would have defeated you guys. Looks like you shut down Grove's rushing attack and forced a few TO's. Also looks like you two and Ava will end in a 3-way tie for 1st in conf., barring any upsets. I know Thayer has some big boys but looks like you still ran the ball on them pretty well.

-- Posted by Simpleminds on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 2:17 PM
  • Simpleminds. To make a long story short, it has been a pretty wierd year in the SCA. Our loss to class 3 AVA was a hard fought game that went into overtime. The game against Thayer was close. It usually is though. Coach Webber and Coach Acklin have been hammering on each other for years and they know each other well. Thayer played hard that night and we had a few turnovers. Heres what I mean by weird. We barley beat Thayer. Cabool beat thayer. Then we dominated Cabool 68 to 7! Alot of this is our sophmore qb has grown leaps and bounds!! And our defense is playing as good as ever. IMO, we are getting better every week. I'm anxious to see how things pan out. Alot of folks over this way are giving our district to Strafford already. I think it could be very close if we show up and play like we have been.

-- Posted by Eaglesview86 on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 3:17 PM
  • I am looking forward to the Strafford , Mtn View Liberty game and I agree with Eaglesview in thinking that they have the edge over Strafford. Do you both have a common opponent so far to gauge off? I may be totally wrong but it looks to me that if you stop the passing game with Strafford they can be beat. Plus I think the SCA is a more physical conference. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by Arcola on Mon, Oct 6, 2014, at 4:16 PM
  • As an avid Lamar fan, I have spent the last several years either hosting or travelling to MVL.

A game against Strafford would be a great opportunity to play the media darling of the Springfield area, and would probably send us on a long road trip to Malden ?

But after hearing the same scenarios every year, I dont think Stafford makes it through Mountain View.

The Lamar / MVL game over the years, in looking back has been the real State Championship. (Only my opinion of course)

Good luck, safe travels and an injury free season to all the rest of the season.

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 2:16 PM
  • I hope that game, if it happens, is in Malden. I would love to see Lamar play in person. Does anybody know for sure yet where that semi-final game will be?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:14 PM

Same here.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:18 PM

If the Tigers end up traveling to the nest, and win, Malden would travel to Lamar. If Strafford makes it out of the nest, they would travel to Lamar and with a win, the Tigers would travel to Malden.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 3:59 PM

By the way, Eagle's lay their eggs in an Aerie. An Eagle's nest is the definition of lining a gross toilet lid with toilet paper. Just for the record

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:03 PM
  • Haters gotta Hate.

-- Posted by Mithrandir on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:21 PM

Not meant as hatin' just clarification. It really should be the Eagle's Aerie..just sayin.

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:25 PM
  • LHS is right.....its an aerie.....dont wanna offend any endangered species in these days of Obamamamacare

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:48 PM
  • I'm offended that you don't want to offend anyone.

-- Posted by ThadCastle on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 4:54 PM

An aerie is a nest. An Eagle still lives in a nest. It's like saying a rich person's mansion or rich person's house, just a more specific way of saying something.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 5:34 PM
  • I would like to see lamar play. Maybe they will get to travel to the bootheel and play Malden or cville would have to beat more than likely cardinal Ritter or Brentwood I'm assuming the qtr final would be in St. Louis area. I'm not for sure

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Wed, Oct 15, 2014, at 6:03 PM

I sincerely apologize for the brief detour of football related conversation to that which involves the definition of a particular bird's nest. Now, back to Football!! Big game for Lamar, tomorrow night!

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 9:45 AM
  • Okay, now that we have settled the nest problem, who wants to explain the blue lines in hockey?

-- Posted by Pigeon Toe on Thu, Oct 16, 2014, at 10:54 AM
  • Here would be the hosting rundown as I see it if Malden wins out and if Lamar wins out to the Semis:

Malden has no chance of hosting the quarters.

Lamar will travel in the quarters if the 2nd seeded team in the Strafford/MV Liberty district wins.

Lamar will host the quarters if the 1st place team in the Strafford/MV Liberty district wins.

If Lamar hosts the quarterfinals they will travel to Malden in the Semis and if Lamar travels in the quarters they will host the Semifinals.

-- Posted by l_Pete_l on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 1:32 PM

That looks to be correct, 1_Pete_1

-- Posted by LHSTiger81 on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 1:45 PM
  • Lamar loses a battle 28 to 29 to 3rd ranked 4A Carl Junction. CJ blocks a FG as time expires. The Big 8 title remains elusive. Good luck in districts CJ as you are in with Webb City's district.

-- Posted by Arcola on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 9:48 PM
  • i went to watch the liberty/lamar game last year and lamar was absolutely loaded and on a completely different level. i thought that the 03 centralia team was the best class 2 team that i'd seen in person but after watching lamar, i think they would have beaten that centralia team by two td's. lamar was loaded with senior talent last year so i'm a bit surprised they have not seemed to miss a beat this year but i suppose that's what happens when you build a program by building depth.

-- Posted by myershallred on Fri, Oct 17, 2014, at 10:50 PM

Who wins this week between Liberty Mountain View and Stratford??

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 8:38 AM
  • The Eagles!

-- Posted by eagletimer on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 10:02 AM
  • Who is the number one seed Stratford or liberty

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Mon, Nov 3, 2014, at 7:05 PM
  • Strafford is the top seed.

-- Posted by Lifelong Tiger on Mon, Nov 3, 2014, at 7:39 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: