Semoball

High School Football Forum: District Races - Week 5

Posted by mojo3 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 10:00 AM:

Looks like to me some of the District seeding races are heating up with several games this week having seeding implications. Here's some random thoughts:

Let's start in Class 1: Valle is cruising to the No 1 seed as usual. I don't see much in their schedule that'll derail a home game Week 10 for the Warriors.

For Class 2, Malden has a commanding lead over East Prairie at this time. This week's match between them could have later seeding issues should East Prairie pull out the win - doubtful. This is the game of the week in Class 2 to me. In other action, a Caruthersville win over Dexter should move them up, if Hayti loses to Portageville. I'm somewhat surprised the Tigers are 5th place right now. Speaking of Hayti & Portageville, looks like a good match-up for the fans there.

Class 3 looks REAL interesting, PHC has the top spot, but a 4&0 Potosi team is nipping at the heels. The game Friday between them should be a dandy. PHC will put a hurt on the Trojans, I don't think Potosi is quite as good as their record indicates.

Elsewhere, St Pius' cupcake schedule has them at #3, but Herky coming up may be a challenge for the Lancers. Dexter and Kennett at 4 & 5 are separated by less than 6 points right now. A big Dexter win over C'ville would help their point total more than Kennett beating Paragould, AR.

Surprising to me is Ste Gen being 2&2 and at #6 just 3 and a couple tenths above my #7 Blackcats. Injury bugs have hit both teams. However, the big win the 'Cats had last week over the hapless Pirates of Perryville have spirits high. I'm not counting the Dragons out in their lair this week, but I'd be one happy fan if the 'Cats take it to the Dragons Friday. NMCC is tail-end Charlie, but should improve their point total at Charleston this week.

In Class 4, Cape is in the driver's seat, but watch out for Hillsboro should the Tigers lose to Ladue. Sikeston at Farmington and Festus at Hillsboro will be games to watch. The 2 through 5 standings will most likely change after Friday. I don't think things get better for Perryville or North County this week. Is DeSoto even more hapless than Perryville?

Depending on what the result is from the Jackson -- Cape game next week, looks to me the Indians cruise into a #1 seed in Class 5.

Good luck to all the teams this week!

Replies (17)

• I really like this playoff format. It is confusion and I don't try to figure the points out but to watch the seeds change each week is a lot of fun. It will be interesting to see if Jackson can get the #1 seed in their district. That would give them a bye and home field advantage. Tough place to come play for any of the STL schools in their district.

-- Posted by Tim Riggins on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 10:30 AM
  • Ste. Gen is in 6th place after a head-to-head victory over Dexter who is in 4th? Has playing Bluff and beating Sikeston helped Dexter that much?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 3:11 PM
  • Im not sure about the whole process but preacher with how it looks i would say playing valle hurts ste gen.If ur going to lose like dexter did to bluff lose to someone bigger even if valle would beat poplar bluff.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 3:44 PM
  • Looking at changes week-to-week, the best way to gain lots of points is to win by a WIDE margin.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 4:04 PM
  • Where did you get this info from mojo3? MSHAA's web-site perhaps? Just curious.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 4:29 PM
  • whats the change Bleed

-- Posted by hb1025 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 5:22 PM
  • Pius loses maximum one more game. Pius does not lose to Perryville if healthy. They finish 7-2 and are the 3 seed unless SG's 6-3 is worth more points than Pius 7-2. Just sayin.

-- Posted by SGCOUNTY on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 5:49 PM
  • I do hope that Cape winning at Bluff was a wake up call to the offense to look at different d lines and adjust quicker. Oh and by the way Cape over Jackson by 1 td.

-- Posted by Tigerdad86 on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:09 PM
  • St. Pius could very well lose at Herky this week and will definitely lost against Valle. If Dexter, Ste. Gen, Pius, and Potosi all finish 6-3 it will be very interesting how it turns out in the seeding.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Sep 16, 2014, at 9:36 PM
  • Preach, just from watching week-to-week changes in the point total. Teams seem to take the biggest jumps after they have won big the previous week.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 5:57 AM

Preach, the district standings are available at MOsports.com.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 7:14 AM
  • based on the fact that R7 vs. Herky was a dog fight and Pius scored at will vs R7. Pius looks to be an odds on favorite in the herky game. My only dog in the fight is SG and I hope they get 3 and get another shot at Potosi.

-- Posted by SGCOUNTY on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 7:54 AM
  • Pius should finish 6-3 as long as they remain focused. Still not sure how they lost to Perryville, but that's over.

They won't beat Valle (but who will?) but back to back winning seasons is huge for them.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 11:15 AM
  • Thanks Larry!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 11:46 AM
  • If Fred could find a way to upset SG Friday night (I know Bleed, no way this could happen right?)then I think they could possible win out the rest of the regular season, with the exception of PHC. They have NMCC, Desoto, North Co and PHC left. They could find themselves around the 5 or 6 spot. Problem is their week 1 loss to Kennett in which they really played bad. But, with the return of Reed Roberts they could end up being a team that could serve as a dark horse. He really is an impact player.

-- Posted by ALL MADISON COUNTY MVP on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 1:59 PM
  • Haven't seen the youngest Roe play Bleed. Good football family though, the youngest usually is the best after big brothers beat on him and show him how to play.

Not sure on St. Pius's back, do you have a #?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 2:20 PM
  • I really doubt the younger brother is going to hop in the SG line-up next year. He has some promise, but I doubt he's going to be at that level as a sophomore. He is much smaller than big brother was at the same age.

-- Posted by fo_real on Wed, Sep 17, 2014, at 2:35 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: