Semoball

High School Football Forum: D Monroe

Posted by BRAGGCITY BALLER on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 11:30 AM:

Great job on his first college game. 92 yards on eight carries with two touchdowns and one 15 yard catch for another touchdown. That's very good for a freshman, regardless of what size the college is.

Replies (29)

• Arizona western matadors

-- Posted by BRAGGCITY BALLER on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 11:44 AM
  • It's just a shame it didn't work out for Darrell at SEMO. Maybe in couple of years.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 12:00 PM

Preacher I'm afraid if he continues to play well and have good grades, he'll be playing for an SEC school.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 12:11 PM

Darrell would have also been riding the bench at SEMO Coach Tuke is not going to let a freshman carry the ball when he has 2 other guys in line. Kind of like Jimmy when he was at Mizzou. Arizona Western's run game was really hurting last year, so they picked up a transfer from Illinois and Darrell is his 2nd in line. Like Cheese said if he stays focused on his academics and another year in the weight room he will be a top JUCO prospect.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 12:17 PM
  • Cheese, you and Beef are probably right. He has the talent, no doubt about it. Hopefully, his academics will pan out too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 12:30 PM

Bleed Green....you an Irish fan???

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 2:19 PM

Pobst biggest flaw is he's an Irish fan..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 2:35 PM

Nice! I'm going to the ND-Michigan game Week 2. Very, VERY excited about this one. Went to my first Irish game last season and it was spectacular, despite the embarrassment against Oklahoma.

Flaw and Irish/Notre Dame can't go in the same sentence Cheese.

-- Posted by Chris Pobst on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 5:17 PM
  • I think since he's in AZ, someone on the west coast will try to get him. He has the talent to play at oregon, USC or any of them. Just depends on his grades

-- Posted by BRAGGCITY BALLER on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 5:45 PM
  • Gee, SEC, USC, Oregon!! Why not just give him the Heisman now? What wishful thinking.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 7:47 PM

What makes you qualified to say he can't play in the SEC or any of those schools? No one is talking about him winning a Heisman or being the best player in the nation. Anyone who has actually seen this kid play, knows what kind of talent he has. If he can keep his grades good, the sky's the limit for him. The college he attends now has sent many of players to the NFL and top D-1 schools. Who's to say Darrell can't be one of those?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 24, 2014, at 8:04 PM
  • Cheese,

We know you're a Cville diehard but come on now let the guy give his opinion. While I do believe Monroe was a very good running back I also don't see him good enough to play in the SEC or Pac 10. Unfortunately he has yet to play a full high school season due to injuries which is not good. Injuries tend to follow people throughout their careers. I do wish him the best and would love for him to prove me wrong! Let SEMO region be shown throughout the country!

-- Posted by AthleticProwl on Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 5:18 AM

He's free to give his opinion, just as you did, and nothing was said too much about it. Him giving his opinion and being a jerk, telling everyone their opinion is wishing thinking and go ahead and give him the Heisman isn't what I call giving an actual opinion. That's just being a smart ***. Darrell did play his first two years injury free if I'm not mistaken. I do agree with you, injuries do tend to keep nagging at players, which could be a concern for him the longer the season goes. I'm just not quick to discredit him as some seem to do on here. Maybe that's just the diehard fan in me lol.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 8:14 AM
  • if you telling me monroe can't play at ole miss or miss st or kentucky or mizzou or about 5 or sec schools is crazy now I didnt see alabama when he played in high school but with PROPER and Consistent weight training the sky is the limit for this guy IMO

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 8:27 AM
  • I def agree, he said it in a very negative manner. I hope that he does prove me wrong and continues to become a better player along with student. Obviously lots of people want to see someone fail so they can say I told you so. Any adult should never wish that though.

-- Posted by AthleticProwl on Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 8:51 AM
  • He'll need to develop more discipline (I don't mean the misbehaving kind, I mean the discipline to stay focused) and a better work ethic...had he had those things already, he wouldn't have to worry about junior college. Maybe AZ Western will be that motivator. Hope he does well.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 12:43 PM

I don't think ppl realize how many nfl draft pics now a days have played juco. Hard to tell a hs kid to have D1 discipline from the get go. Look at Sheldon Richardson, Bo wallace, cam newton, why go to a D1 school ride the bench for 2 years when you could go to a juco play a year or 2 raise your stock value a lot then go to a bigger school that needs and wants you NOW. People just instantly start discrediting them because it's no D1 when in realty he's raising his value a whole lot more than he ever could at semo.

Obviously you want the local talent to stay local but for his own personal journey I'm glad he didn't stay. If he maxes out his potential he can play at 90

-- Posted by formerposterchild on Mon, Aug 25, 2014, at 6:52 PM
  • I have only seen Darrell play a couple times. But I have always thought that he would be better at the college level as a Safety. He is tall for a RB and may have a longer career on the defensive side of the ball. He has great close out speed.

I would like to hear the C'ville fans opinion on this, as they are definitely more familiar with Darrell.

-- Posted by doubleplay on Tue, Aug 26, 2014, at 11:07 AM
  • Hey, President Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize about a week into his presidency, so that is the context I am taking. If Mr. Monroe makes it to the NFL I'll be very happy for him. But a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step, and that is about where he is.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Tue, Aug 26, 2014, at 7:29 PM
  • As I said to start with, great job on his first collegiate game. REGARDLESS of what level it was on. With his size and speed he can play with the best of them

-- Posted by BRAGGCITY BALLER on Tue, Aug 26, 2014, at 8:20 PM
  • I feel he could be the next Jacobs, he should have been able to pick his school (could have in the 80's) but you gotta have decent grades! Study skills start early, I wish him the best but college coach's want today and worry about next yr when they can start recruiting!

-- Posted by Hatershate on Tue, Aug 26, 2014, at 8:22 PM
  • chris pobst,

i'm not a big notre dame fan by any means, but i've attended a couple of games at south bend and it definitely should be on every college football fan's bucket list. touchdown jesus, first down moses, the grotto, the golden dome......it's goosebump stuff for sure! i'm sure you'll have a great time.

-- Posted by myershallred on Tue, Aug 26, 2014, at 10:03 PM
  • The thing is that all you have to do in high school to be eligible is have 6 d minuses. Pretty hard to not accomplish that so when one cannot finish a school year eligible that raises many red flags

-- Posted by Semoespn on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 6:41 AM
  • Semoespn, I agree, that was what I was also trying to convey. And we aren't talking about not being eligible for Ole Miss, we're talking about SEMO.

-- Posted by mobrigade on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 8:03 AM
  • mobrigade, sorry but you have to meet the same standards at SEMO as for Ole Miss!

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 8:08 AM
  • 6 D minuses do you know good if u don't hav the SAT or ACT score

-- Posted by gettinweird on Wed, Aug 27, 2014, at 6:19 PM
  • Great great high school player but he couldn't play running back in the SEC. That's a whole different level. That's not bashing him at all, it's just the truth. I hope he performs very well where he's at and then transfers to a bigger school.

-- Posted by Steve Frey on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 1:57 PM

He needs to be playing on the defensive side of the ball but the JUCO he is at now had a dry spell at RB last year so I guess that is why the are using him on offense. He bulk up he would be a good linebacker or put on about 40lbs of muscle and play DE. I agree with you Steve, Darrell would not be a very good D1 RB simply because he lacks the quick burst at the line. He is a great goal line and short yardage back because he is so hard to bring down.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 6:45 PM
  • Gettinweird and that's how you end up at JUCO with supreme talent

-- Posted by Semoespn on Thu, Aug 28, 2014, at 9:30 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: