Semoball

High School Football Forum: Jackson vs Webster Groves

Posted by TheProsperer on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 9:51 AM:

Pretty much everyone counted Jackson out of the Vianney game. So i would like to see what every thinks Jackson's chances are against Webster Groves.

Since its at The Pit and we are healthy im picking Jackson to win.

Replies (30)

• Jackson shut out Vianney, so I would say you got a good chance.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:19 AM
  • As a Jackson alum I nver counted us out @ Vianney because I knew they were one dimensional..

I was trying to find Webster Groves stats last night and like Jackson they don't post it.. However I did find on Stltoday.com that WG didn't lead in any category out of St. Louis as far as Passing, running, touchdowns scored e.t.c.. they did have one player that had 7 interceptions.

Being thst this game is @ "The Pit" I say Jackson wins 28-17.

I also believe Cape Central and Cville will win too! Making three teams in the Semi-Finals out of SEMO!

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:19 AM
  • Found their stats.. took a minute but I found them.. looks like they are a pretty balanced team offensively..

http://stats.stlhighschoolsports.com/sports/football/stats/overall290.php

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:24 AM

Here is the thing Jackson got a good draw on their side of the bracket. I'm totally familiar with the other three teams in their side so I will just its anyone's bracket to win. The finals will be a massacre for whoever gets there. That side to the bracket is a nightmare

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:30 AM
  • Jackson can beat webster groves just like they beat vianney, even though vianney was favored. Webster is no Webb City or Blue springs. I agree that this side lf the bracket is just a contest to see who will be the sacrificial lamb for the finals opponent.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 10:49 AM
  • Why is that? Why is the East side of the state so behind in football?

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 8:32 AM
  • Most schools(not all) in this side of the state have basketball as their primary focus or at least on par with football. The local culture with some exceptions just does not emphasize football as much as the West side. Our facilities and size of coaching staffs are generally(not all) are not equal to the other side. Administration don't support football totally like a Webb City or Jeff City or Blue Springs. We have obvious exceptions(Valle, Sikeston, C'Ville, SG.,Parkhills, Jackson,etc). IMO

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 9:07 AM

There is talent discrepancy. I can name between 1-5 recruits for each of the 4 teams on the west bracket. A lot of them are high ranked BCS headed players. Add that to all the very good factors semo ref mentioned. I don't think k it's the emphasis on sport or the other but the shared emphasis on the type of athlete required and style of play. Watching schools like Liberty North and Republic play basketball at last years final was revealing. They are all big kids and play slow grinder type Wisconsin basketball. That translates real well to football. The east and south almost always have smaller kids who play and spread styles in basketball and football. That transistions well but only to a point. You can't have track star OL and DL against the west teams especially considering their talent these last few years in the skill position department.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 9:27 AM
  • Ive heard webb city has had a youth program in place for years that gears the youth to succeed in the system that the high school football program runs. In comparison, sikeston boys dont have organized teams til fifth grade and i think they play only five or six games. So i think the west for some reason may have more opportunities for kids to start younger or play more competetive football at a younger age. Of course Valle is the exception, i wonder if they have sone sort of similar system in place?

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 10:00 AM
  • You're seriously trying to say the talent doesn't exist in St. Louis? Look at CBC, half of their team has a D1 offer.

I don't think there is a huge talent discrepency, I think it comes down to the emphasis placed upon the sports. East side doesn't care as much, east side can't compete. (Consistently that is.)

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 10:01 AM
  • I also think hockey has taken a lot of kids away from football in Stl area and is getting bigger every year.I'm sure some of these boys would make very good football players

-- Posted by hb1025 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 10:17 AM
  • Valle has 7th & 8th grade football. They practice for 2 months a couple nights a week then play 1 game at the end of Nov. agaisnt each other. Teams are split up so its not really 7th vs 8th. Typiclly ran by parents.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 10:57 AM
  • Valle and SG have the youth "impact" league which in my opinion sucks. Valle has a Junior High football program with great coaches that teaches the kids what they will be using in highschool. To my knowledge Valle doesnt play any 7th and 8th grade games, they just practice 2X a week for 2-3 hours a practice. Like i said, the coaches are very knowledgable and work well with the kids. They will be that much more ready by the time there freshman year comes around. This group of kids are gonna be tough to beat when they hit the high school level.

-- Posted by BBUBET on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 11:03 AM
  • Considering the topic of this post, a little puzzled the last 6 comments make no mention of either Jackson or Webster Groves!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 12:01 PM

Look at the level of talent and where it is. Fort Qsage and Lee Summit West have D1 QBs. Of course there is talent in STL and especially in the metro catholic league but it's not as widespread across those that are not the high points. Basically sure CBC has some high level guys like Brian Wallace but LSW has Drew Lock at QB who takes the players that on average are as good if not a little more talented or in a better suited system and makes them all even better.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 12:14 PM
  • Semo7178, we're trying to figure out why jax will get smoked in the state finals if they beat webster and the next opponent, thats all.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 12:42 PM
  • But surely, bunk, why would plain geography be responsible for the difference in talent between east and west? Ive often wondered that and i have no answer. Are there just better coaches out west? I havnt a clue.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 12:46 PM
  • Jackson can beat WG. WG was the underdog against Kirkwood. Kirkwood is a great team and when rivals play each other anything can happen. WG plays a tough schedule that gets them ready for the playoffs and games like this one in Jackson. It will be a good game.

-- Posted by Tim Riggins on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 1:37 PM
  • The question isn't can Jackson beat Webster Groves, they can, the question is, can Jackson (or any other East side representative) beat the best of the West, Lee's Summit West, Kearney, Kickapoo, Fort Osage, heck even Camdenton is West.

What are the odds of Jackson, Webster Groves, or Parkway Central of beating Lee's Summit West, Fort Osage, or Kearney?

I think Camdenton probably wins this side of the bracket regardless so it's probably a moot point. The only reason I say that is because Camdenton has a West-side mentality. Football matters there.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 1:51 PM

I think it has to do some with geographic location. Big tall parents have big tall strong boys. Some of it is definitely the coaches and their systems and how they tailor it to type of kids they have. You can't pin it on any one factor that would be silly. But if their football culture promotes weight lifting and early system installation than that is a definite contribution.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Nov 14, 2013, at 1:59 PM
  • Are you guys forgetting that Kirkwood is an east side team that won going away last year! If I recall correctly they won 31-7 over Fort Osage! All teams have a chance! Wish Jackson the best of Luck as well as Cape and C'Ville.

-- Posted by localfan on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 8:05 AM

Kirkwood is really good though. I'm surprised that Webster-Grove beat them. I think this game at the pit will be a big test for Jackson. It seems like Webster-Grove is a pretty balanced offense and maybe the best passing team they have seen all year( correct me if I'm wrong I can't recall all of Jackson's early games). I think Jackson can beat them if the secondary holds up. I would be surprised if anyone beats LSW in this 8 team bracket.

-- Posted by Bunk on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 9:45 AM
  • I know WG vs Kirkwood was a very physical game and could work to Jackson's advantage. Both great teams and programs with two of the better coaches in MO.

-- Posted by Tim Riggins on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 12:23 PM
  • Love to see all the support and optimism for Jackson, but have to call Webster Groves in this one. Webster Groves plays in what is probably the toughest conference in St. Louis, the suburban south. The difference in schedule strength should be the difference in this one. No disrespect intended. Just a big difference in playing against North County and Battle vs. playing Kirkwood, Parkway Central, Hazelwood Central, etc.

-- Posted by outside coach on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 12:23 PM
  • Yes on two great coaches, Cliff Ice of WG is one of the pioneers of the spread offense in St. Louis. Of course, Jackson's coach knows a thing or two about the spread himself.

-- Posted by outside coach on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 12:25 PM

Boogin, look at it this way St. Louis, Kansas City, Jeff City, Columbia area have schools that are just blocks away from other schools..Say little Johnny's father catches wind that so and so will be good next year or they have a strong class of Fresh and Soph. and they are plated to have a good next couple of years Johnny's dad is going to say hey son why don't we move 2 blocks down the road and you go to so and so school so you can play for a better team it happens all of the time...I bet you that NO teams in the bigger cities have a core of kids that have been in school together since grade school.

When we went to Maplewood last year I talked to a woman she was some faculty member and I talked to her for about 15 minutes about transferring issues between inner city schools...she said yes we have new kids come in and leave all of the time from schools just up the road and other areas in STL and its so frequent that it is rarely looked at as far as moving for athletic reasons..she said kids chose Maplewood because of the academics.

Small town teams down here in the Bootheel and other small towns across the state mostly deal with homegrown talent, kids that have been in school together since elementary and have been a unit since pee-wee and grade school football. These teams have to wait for certain talent pools to come through. I can assure you all of the Seniors on the Tiger team have went to and lived in Caruthersville since they were old enough to walk.

Teams like Webb City are just really well coached..they are running the veer option in diapers over there and are taught fundamentals from an early age they are what every other team wants to be, coaches want to be able to develop players like their coaches do and they continue their success until that one team (a cycle or just a run of good talent) comes through to beat them which is few and far between.

Winning a state championship is nice, hard to do and you have 60+ other teams (in class 2) that are playing for that title and with a small school that is not private its hard to do unless that special class comes along. A season where you lose 1-3 games all year is a success to me and most other fans but once you start comparing yourself with the elite teams or private schools you are just taking away from the greatness of the year. Thats why Caruthersville's run of 10 district titles in 11 years is something unheard of in small town football it is something special and something these young men work for starting with pee wee football. If we could pull talent from Hayti, Steele, and other area schools without it being pretty dang obvious they are moving for athletic reasons we could have some special teams..

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 1:28 PM

*So don't take away from these Bootheel teams just because they can't beat the big city teams where there are schools within a rocks throwing distance to another school these kids and coaches work hard for any success that they have.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Nov 15, 2013, at 1:30 PM

Does anyone know if the cape game is being webcasted

-- Posted by B&RBasketball on Sat, Nov 16, 2013, at 1:04 PM
  • Not sure about webcast but you can listen online at 1220 am in cape.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sat, Nov 16, 2013, at 1:07 PM

Ok thank you I was looking for that to

-- Posted by B&RBasketball on Sat, Nov 16, 2013, at 1:14 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: