Semoball

High School Football Forum: Top HS football Backfields in last 10 years in SEMO

Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 12:52 PM:

Replies (48)

• 2007-Fredericktown

David Penwell and Ryan Sawyer-over 3000 yards rushing.

-- Posted by ALL MADISON COUNTY MVP on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 1:02 PM

Sikeston 2010 is pretty solid: Darryl Howard, Trey Lewis, Ray Clark, and Kyland Gross.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 1:04 PM
  • Bluff had Zach Ferguson, Eljie Johnson and Pete Bryant

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 1:20 PM

2011- Caruthersville had Elbie Fonda and Darrell Monroe along with Tyler Grissom. Rushed for over 5,100 yards that year with over 80 touchdowns.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 1:23 PM
  • 2010 Park Hills

Lonnie Nations, Tanner Skaggs, Bryan Greer

All had over 1100 yards.

Agree with Sawyer/Penwell Backfield

-- Posted by Kzar on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 1:34 PM

We'll my pick is going to have to be Mario Whitney and crew for Jackson!

-- Posted by TheProsperer on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 1:35 PM
  • 2012 Valle. Believe Fallert had over 3,000 yards himself with 45 TDs.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:11 PM
  • Stg also had a good year with Schwent a few years ago.

-- Posted by Squeak on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:12 PM
  • yah yah, don't forget James Watson that year too. He was the 3rd leading rusher behind Howard and Lewis.

Sikeston's 2009 team had Juqualin Wiggins, Eli Jackson, and Jarian Wims. Both Wiggins and Jackson were over 1,000 rushing. Wims came up just shy with 800 something.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:15 PM

Cheese- How much did Jimmy Jackson end up with? Was he a 4 year starter? What about Kendrickus Reid? I watched him play against Hermann one year. Phenomenal runners. Jackson's Mario Whitney was absolutely amazing as well. Scott City had a Schaefer kid back in early 2000's that was pretty impressive too. Don't know how many yards or touches he had to get those yards. Malden had a state track championship backfield back to back years in 06' and 07' with Trey Porter, Criggler and company. I like this thread!

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:39 PM

Oh how could I forget Waylon Richardet from SV. I'm getting a little off topic. Just realized I'm doing more individual running backs than "backfields." My bad.

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:40 PM
  • i believe jimmy had in the neighborhood of just over 2,600 yds his senior year. he also had 90 in the tiger's semifinal loss to centralia, who was one of the best class 2 teams to ever take the field in mo history. he and reed both won the carr trophy as well.

-- Posted by myershallred on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:42 PM
  • Mario Whitney is as good as anybody, but he wasn't in the last 10 years as this thread calls for. Whitney graduated in '01 I believe.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:46 PM
  • Joe "lighting" Bolt and Thomas "the train" Wilson both had upwards of 1500 yards and each had over 18 touchdowns in 04 for Cairo.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 2:59 PM
  • Torey Nelson and Jason Covington in 2003 in from hayti's 2nd place team

malden in 06 had porter, reid, and criglar

east prarie had dez johnson paris tipler and mc williams at the same time

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 3:11 PM
  • 2003 Cape Centrals Mitch Craft and Brandon Twiggs

2006-07 Blake Slattery and Hykeem Hammonds

-- Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 3:21 PM
  • Centrals Christian Caveness and Keilon Moore

-- Posted by CapeTiger20 on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 3:23 PM

NMCC's G'darius Stevenson, Rodney Anderson, and Bryan Waters.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 4:01 PM
  • I go with Bucks.. what happened to Stevenson?

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 4:04 PM

He recently got married and joined the military I believe. I'm thinking Air Force.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 5:38 PM

The teams back in Jimmy Jackson's day were tough outings, just about every team was somewhat competitive. That's why it's so hard to compare which runner would be better compared to the other. Caruthersville seems to always have a good running back cycling through their system and I hope it continues.

One guy that was fun to watch from Kennett was Tyree Golsby (sp)....I have no idea if that's how you spell his name or not but he was probably the last stud RB Kennett had.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 7:39 PM
  • Way too many exclamation points.

-- Posted by Kzar on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Malden in 2006 was very impressive.

-- Posted by OldManFootball on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 8:34 PM
  • Tyree goosby was tough beef i played against him wat about larry green

-- Posted by cvillecomo on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 8:37 PM

I think we should put some of these backs you all talk about in Class 4 or Class 5 and see what they could handle. Not downing anyone just saying The smaller classes couldn't handle the bigger ones

-- Posted by TheProsperer on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 10:21 PM
  • Norman Deck from SG would have been a pretty good back if he had a little ball security.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 10:21 PM
  • put these class 1 and 2 backs behind a class 4 and 5 line n see what they could do.. how bout putting that twist on it.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Wed, Oct 16, 2013, at 10:44 PM
  • Fallsohard. Great point! Put Monroe or Fallert in Jackson and watch out! Im a huge Proffer fan and think he is the key to our team but you have given a great perspective to jax2010's point. Go Indians!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 12:03 AM
  • Private schools and bigger classes. Never fails. Leave it to a Jackson fan for that

-- Posted by caniplay on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 4:48 AM
  • Here you guy Valle guys:

Siebert, Boyer, Schwent-1989

-- Posted by ALL MADISON COUNTY MVP on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 8:14 AM
  • Not in the last 10 years but the best ever is Mario Whitney. 2700 yds and 43 touchdowns in one season. Mostly done in the 1st half. Single game state rushing record 463 mostly in the 1st half. Large school 100 and 200 meter champion(state record)in track. No one and I mean no one could even come close. Amazing.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 9:15 AM
  • Jimmy Jackson was a small school kid and played at Mizzou. I assume the Big 12 was slightly tougher than class 4 and 5 SEMO football, so I'd say he would have held up just fine.

-- Posted by kools&oe on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 10:14 AM
  • Yeah that's a silly comment by jaxindians2010. Some of the best players to come out of this area were small school guys. William Moore, Jimmy Jackson, Charles Gaines (another Hayti guy at Mizzou). Put Jimmy Jackson on that Jackson team with that Jackson offensive line and he may rush for 2,700 yards and 43 touchdowns too. Who's to say he wouldn't? And I'm a Mario fan. The guy was awesome. I never got a chance to see how good a true running back he was because he had canyons to run through and he never got caught lol. The one thing he possessed that was unrivaled was his speed.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 10:24 AM
  • Lewandowski, Ellis, and Farmer were fun to watch in 2010. Faulkner and whoever happen to be in the back-field for SG until 2009(?) were pretty great too.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 10:59 AM
  • Lewandoski was ready for the NFL as a junior. Just ask him. You get bleed and perrywinkle I mean jlew together and you got the two best high school players to ever suit up. But I would have like to seen Lewandoski in a Ste gen uniform.

-- Posted by caniplay on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 12:09 PM
  • semohoops---You are absolutely right. Jax comment is way off base. That Jackson line made Mario look better than he was. Would have been just the opposite for those guys that went to small schools and had no offensive line. Nathan Norman is the last big school running back I remember going to a major D1 school as a running back. Whitney ended up quitting.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 12:15 PM

Guys, don't forget Jackson had another good Mizzou athlete of their own not too long ago. I can't for the life of me remember his name but he was a really good kicker. He won them the Eureka game if I remember correctly.

However, best kicker I ever saw or played against was Derek Kutz from SV.

Back to the topic...didn't Farmington have a phenomenal running back a couple years back with offers from Stanford and Kansas?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 12:44 PM
  • Brandon Bourbon from Potosi

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 12:51 PM

I believe that's the guy. Not sure why I thought Farmington. Where's Bourbon at these days?

-- Posted by TheWarriorz on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 1:01 PM
  • Kansas as of last year but I don't know anymore.

-- Posted by Coach Horrell on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 1:03 PM
  • TheWarriorz lol , you remembered us old guys sheesh.

As for backs on one team, that 06 Malden team, I don't think that's been done in the area since. Kaleum Reid, Ryan Criglar, and myself. Teams new we were going to run the ball 50+ times a night.

Check this old article out good names to put together in one backfield.

http://www.standard-democrat.com/story/1346714.html

-- Posted by coachporterjp3 on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 1:07 PM

I have agree 100% with bleed green...Adam Schwent hands down the best highschool running back I've ever witnessed....He sat out the second half of 2 games due to injury or easily he would have broken the record that year... add that to the fact countless runs of his were called back due to a boneheaded block in the back penalties 30 yards away from the play.... and I watch Brock Oliva of Borgia and Jerry Terry from Luthern North and Brad Hocker of archie all play the game

-- Posted by Brother Vito on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 1:32 PM
  • Bourbon has been getting a few carries at KU. Would like to see more of him though. He's got a lot of speed. And I'm probably close to being old enough to being jlew's dad. First mojo is jlew and now I am. Sheesh, do I have to bring out my résumé too?...

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 2:08 PM
  • Thansk Jlew

-- Posted by caniplay on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 2:32 PM
  • coach porter yall were good but there are no comparisons to torey nelson and jason covington in 2002

they didnt have the stats becuz the ball had to be spreaded out to those receivers if they got the ball 20+ times a game like those cville backs did their numbers would have been madden like

-- Posted by SouthEspn on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 2:38 PM
  • Farmington had a kid named Travis Ribbing that was phenomenal. '05-'06-ish. Him and Bryan Krause were dangerous. The last time I saw them play was during the state semifinals vs Hannibal. They lost.....unfortunately.

I'm not sure where they ended up after graduating. Anybody know?

-- Posted by zachattack on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 6:48 PM
  • Ribbing went to Southwest and then to Central Missouri. Last thing I saw on Krause is that he is playing baseball at Lindenwood.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Thu, Oct 17, 2013, at 7:35 PM

Brad Hocker had 9193 career rushing yard still ranks number 11 in the nation... saw him play against Valle in the quarter finals.

-- Posted by Brother Vito on Fri, Oct 18, 2013, at 2:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: