Semoball

High School Football Forum: Caruthersville 62 Kennett 25 ---biased summary---

Posted by Judgedog on Sat, Oct 12, 2013, at 12:10 AM:

October 11, 2013 TIGERS 62 Kennett 25

A beautiful fall night for CHS Homecoming 2013, and the Tigers jumped out to a huge 1st half lead and coasted to an easy 62-25 win over the Kennett Indians.

I always love Homecoming...it is great to see so many former CHS students back in Caruthersville. It is especially fun to see the various class years gathering together to root on their Tigers. Even more fun for me this year, as many of my Class of 1983 classmates are home for our 30th reunion!

I have typed a summary of almost every Tiger game since 2003, and I try to put a "biased summary" disclaimer on my summaries. This one is especially biased, as my daughter, Anne Marie was one of the Homecoming Queen candidates tonight! Sireka Brock, Anne Marie, Logan Darnell, Laiken Duncan and Mason Mansfield were the 5 Queen candidates. They are all lovely girls, each deserving to be crowned Queen. We were pleasantly stunned when Anne Marie was crowned the 2013 CHS Homecoming Queen prior to the game. We are so very proud of Anne Marie!

On to the game...the Indians, sporting new white helmets and white jerseys with black pants would receive the kick from the Tigers clad in their all red unis. The Indians would not gain a 1st down, and would turn the ball over to the Tigers on the Indians 31. A Tiger holding penalty negated an 18 yard Darrell Monroe run, moving the ball back to the Indians 41. On 1st and 20, Tiger QB Tyler Grissom hit Jamal Johnson with a perfect 41 yard TD pass. Colt Callens added the PAT. TIGERS 7 Kennett 0

The Tigers would force a fumble, stifling the Indians next possession. Monroe and Grissom moved the ball with runs of 13, 8, 8, and 8, before Monroe scored from 3 yards out. Callens added the PAT. TIGERS 14 Kennett 0

The Indians would answer the Tigers on their next drive as they moved the ball downfield, mainly on Treyvon Bradford runs, and a nice Akeem Nelson pass to Antavies Drake covering 31 yards. Bradford would get the Indians on the board with a 7 yard TD run. The 2point play failed. TIGERS 14 Kennett 6

The Tigers would strike back quickly. Grissom carried for 6 yards. Then, on a beautiful run/pass option play, Grissom passed to Hunter Trevathan who raced into the endzone for the 43 yard TD reception. Callens added the PAT. TIGERS 21 Kennett 6

The Tigers forced the Indians to punt on their next series, and the Tigers would start from their own 16. Grissom ran for 9 yards. Monroe had a simply amazing 60 yard run to the Indians 15, and an Indian penalty moved the ball to the 10. Grissom passed to Jamal Johnson for an 8 yard gain to the 2, and then Grissom took it in from there on the next play, ending the 1st quarter. Callens added the PAT. TIGERS 28 Kennett 6

The Tigers again forced the Indians to punt after 3 plays, and the Tiger took over from their own 32. Rodrick Jones had runs of 14, 1, and 17 yards, to the Indians 36. A false start penalty moved the ball back to the 41. Grissom passed to Peyton Faulkner for 5 yards. Jones had a great run of 26 yards to the 10. Grissom took it in from there. Callens added the PAT. TIGERS 35 Kennett 6

The Tiger defense would again not allow a first down, and Kennett punted to the Tigers 30. The Tigers then used an unusual formation, with Monroe alone in the backfield receiving the snap...it certainly worked as Darrell raced to his left and then outran every Indian defender 70 yards to the house. The PAT failed. TIGERS 41 Kennett 6

The Indians next drive would end when the Indians failed to convert on 4th and 2 from the Indians' 43. Rodrick Jones raced 35 yards to the Indians 8 on 1st down. Grissom would score from 8 yards out on the next play. The PAT failed. TIGERS 47 Kennett 6

The Indians moved the ball well on Bradford and Drake runs. Bradford would score on a 5 yard run. The 2point play failed. TIGERS 47 Kennett 12

The Indians executed a perfect deep onside kick, catching the Tigers napping and would take over at the Tigers' 26. Bradford ran for 11 to the Tigers' 15. A couple of plays later, Nelson would pass to Edward Wilson for the 13 yard TD. 2point conversion failed. TIGERS 47 Kennett 18

The Tigers would recover an onside attempt at midfield. Grissom dumped a short pass to Monroe, who raced in for the 50 yard TD reception. The Tigers converted the 2point play. TIGERS 55 Kennett 18

The Indians would run 3 plays before the 1st half would come to an end.

At halftime, the new Tiger mascot would receive her/his name...."Big Red"!

The 2nd half would fly by, as the clock would run continuously. The Tigers added their final score on a scintillating 60 yard Jamal Johnson punt return. Callens added the PAT. TIGERS 62 Kennett 18

Kennett's lone second half score came with just 10 seconds left in the game when Bradford raced in from 16 yards out. Bron McPherson added the PAT. TIGERS 62 Kennett 25

FINAL: TIGERS 62 Kennett 25

The Tigers move to 5-1 on the season. Kennett falls to 1-6.

The Tigers will face cross-county rival, the Hayti Indians next Friday at Hopke Field in the annual Battle of the Bootheel! Hope to see the Hopke Field stands packed with loud Tigers fans next week!

GO TIGERS GO!!

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: