Replies (31)

• I concur with Pete

1. Gibbs

2. Eckley

3. Naeger

4. Stolzer

5. Henson

-- Posted by Jax12 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:14 PM
  • If you put Stolzer you need to put Weiler next to him because without Coach Weiler SG would have had a new head coach a looooong time ago.

-- Posted by caniplay on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:18 PM
  • In my opinion Naegar has to be the best coach. How many stat titles has he won?

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:24 PM

I'm in agreement with Pete and jaxindians lists.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:25 PM
  • Bleed Green, it was a serious question how many titles has Naeger won?

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:27 PM
  • I agree with redhawk, Naegar and the whole staff make state winning teams after they lose huge senior classes...Don't usually see such well-coached small class teams. Coach Gibbs also has great teams year in and year out, kudos to him and his staff.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:29 PM

I'm not sure how you can win 2-3 state championships and still "have a lot to learn". Granted the best coaches are always learning etc. but to say an accomplished coach has a lot to learn is an overstatement.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:33 PM
  • Wow I didn't know he was only 35 and to have that many state titles already is pretty darn impressive. I've always heard St Gen's coach was a great coach too. There is a lot of great coaches in the area. You can't go wrong with a lot of them such as Naeger, Gibbs, Stoltzer, Eckley, and others.

-- Posted by Gary Pinkel on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:37 PM
  • Stoltzer is definitely a top-tier Missouri coach, but I think things really changed around when Weiler came in as OC. Kids these days like to run an offense that isn't so monotonous (veer read). I think they implemented that spread perfectly and worked well when Faulkner took over as Q. The same could be said for Valle as well.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:44 PM
  • It's true. Valle started a new spread system that was similar to Stg's...But if I am not mistaken, I believe Naegar first went to a Union football camp, at the time when Eckley was coaching. Of course, Naegar has definitely tweaked up the offense according to the talent he is give, hence a spinner series this year.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 7:50 PM
  • Yes Bleed Green, I know 7 1A district 1 coaches that would love to see Judd go into a different class. I don't know how he gets so much out of a high school with 45 sophmore through senior boys.

-- Posted by buyer beware on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:06 PM
  • Be carefull Bleed Green,Jimmy The Greek got thrown out of broadcasting for suggesting that breeding of football players was going on. And I agree with you 100%. Ha. By the way why don't you fellows list the radio stations your teams will be on. Some of them might stream live audio.

-- Posted by buyer beware on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:28 PM
  • Shock, shock! Imagine "3" of the top 5 coaches (according to BleedGreen' list) includes two from the city of Ste. Genevieve, and the 3rd only 45 miles away (F'Town)!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:39 PM
  • Caruthersville coaches Should be on this list easy

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:40 PM
  • I don't take much stock in those opinions which automatically eliminate coaches, based primarily on "championships." Would anyone think if Nick Saban were to accept a job that had little or no chance at a state title, that would make him "any less" a coach?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 8:58 PM

And Jebbie makes his appearance.

Cannot really disagree with Bleed on this one. Maybe switching the spots on a couple, but cannot bleep and moan about the names on the list.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:08 PM
  • Who care dump I wasn't talking to u. So don't reply to any thing I put on here. No respect for u

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:11 PM

Jebbie why did you wake up on the wrong side of Cvilletiger02's bed? Maybe when you and your split personality make better arguments I will stop commenting.

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:19 PM
  • Nick Saban would build a program up extremely quickly win titles...I see your point of Eckley, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson becomes a powerhouse year in and year out. It will be quite awhile though.

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:20 PM
  • What are u talking about punk someone needs to put u to bed.

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:39 PM
  • It means, quite simply, there are excellent coaches at schools which have little or no chance to win state titles. I thought it was pretty self-explanatory.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:50 PM

Is that an offer Jebbie88? We could have a jolly time!

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 9:57 PM
  • Really hate u so u need to stop. I'm

Not a kid so go play somewhere else

-- Posted by Jebbie88 on Tue, Oct 30, 2012, at 10:00 PM
  • This thread kind of seems to be a double edged sword to me. If you don't recognize a few coaches around the area that has turned programs around, it seems a slam to me. Take a look at Caruthersville, they've been contenders for state champs for the last few years and how about the turn around at Portageville (sorry don't know the coach's name there)? And don't forget Coach Schweiss, his rebels have been as consistent a winning program since he's been there as any other in the area. And add the NC coach (again can't remember his name), they have re-built a winning program after YEARS of interference from parents and the school board, a couple years ago NC looked like Perryville.

If I was naming a Coach of the Year, I'd think Coach Eckley gets it with the turn around he's done, with the P'ville coach a close second.

I think another point to look at is legacy. How many head coaches in the area have mentored other good coaches? Coach Henson worked under Coach Gibbs for several years at FredMo while that program was developing into a winning program and took over when Gibbs left to re-build Sikeston. And just from longevity, I'm sure Bleed could name some kids that went through the SG program in the last thirty or so years who are now coaching somewhere, I think Coach Schweiss the prime example.

Someone asked before if coaching or talent made the player. The same argument could be made for a Coach too.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 8:52 AM
  • Cant really comment on some of these coaches since i dont know them personally but can give my 2 cents worth on Coach Naeger, Stolzer, Weiler and Gegg who is Judds asst. I have known these gentleman my whole life and can attest that they are some of the finest coaches in the area if not the state. Not only have they won but for me these guys have not always had the best talent but they get the most out of what they have. Most anyone can win when u have all the talent but when u dont it takes great coaching. Above all the wins, district titles and state championships these guys have been apart of the leadership that they bring to these kids is amazing and i have seen it first hand. Both my boys have had the privilege to play for Judd in either football or baseball and i know they have the utmost respect for what he taught them not only about the game but prparing them for their future. You know its not always about wins and losses that makes a great coach but also what kind of person these coaches are and for me Coach Naeger, Gegg, Stolzer and Weiler are at the very top.

-- Posted by Dragon & Warrior Fan on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 9:33 AM
  • There is a first for everything BG. LOL

-- Posted by Dragon & Warrior Fan on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 9:54 AM
  • Where's Paul Sauer from St. Vincent on your guy's list?

-- Posted by RustyHook on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 11:15 AM
  • It ain't about the X's and the O's, but the Johnny's and the Joe's!

-- Posted by herbsmith on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 12:42 PM
  • I agree with mojo on the fact of turning around a program, but for a couple years could be a good class of kids. We will have to see with portageville. IMO the line play needs to improve a ton for them, but they are going in the right direction...

An argument could be made that the two Ste Genevieve county coaches are trophied because they have better talent, but then you have to question why larger, yet similar towns (Perryville, Festus) don't have that same success.

Would love to see Coach Eckley keep improving a storied Jackson program back to life too!

-- Posted by blackNgold007 on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 2:58 PM
  • Warrior Pride that was the point I was trying to make in another thread. It's not hard to coach a team full of talent. The real coaching begins when that high level of talent isn't there and you find a way to win. I hate when I hear people say [THEY] have no talent. It might not be top rated talent or it my be young talent but most kids have talent. It takes a coach that knows how to use that talent in a way that helps the team best. That's not a talent every coach has.

-- Posted by oldschoolbballer on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 4:11 PM
  • Sikeston's

Jackson's

Valle's

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Oct 31, 2012, at 6:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: