Semoball

High School Football Forum: Official Sideline Starter Football Five--10/15/12

Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 3:37 AM:

Sorry this week's list is coming late. Been a busy day but I guess late is better than never. As always, welcome back to Semoball's longest running and most trusted forum poll ranking the area's best in football. Let's get straight into the list.

1) Sikeston-The Bulldogs (8-0) notched another victory in a closer than expected game with Jennings. Sikeston was missing starting running back Chris Word who was out with injury and backup Marquez Newman played through a nagging injury of his own. That wasn't enough to keep the Bulldogs from winning and being one step away from their third undefeated regular season in four years. A good Cardinal Ritter team looms in their season finale. (Last week: 1)

2) Caruthersville-The Tigers (6-1) were another team bit by the injury bug as they pulled a close win out against Hayti on Friday. Caruthersville is the favorite for the #1 seed in their district but doesn't seem to have it completely wrapped up just yet. They complete their season with one of their tougher opponents in Ste. Genevieve. (Last week: 2)

3) Jackson-The Indians (5-2) hold on to the third spot this week after a tough loss to undefeated Class 6 Hickman. Jackson put up quite the fight staying even through the first half but finally wearing down in the third quarter. However, all reports say the Indians put up a good fight and they look to finish the season strong against Francis Howell Central. (Last week: 3)

4) Poplar Bluff-The Mules (5-3) continue to win the close games by getting a one point victory over Normandy. Poplar Bluff is competing for seeding in a good Class 5 district and closes their regular season out against Chaminade. (Last week: 4)

5) Portageville-Despite having the varsity week off, the Bulldogs (7-0) have earned the five spot to themselves after Cape fell in yet another close game. Portageville plays in one of their biggest tests of the season against New Madrid in their season finale which will be a very good barometer into how strong they will look in Class 1 District 1. (Last week: T-5)

Small School Football Five:

1) Caruthersville (6-1)-Tigers have earned this spot through great regular season despite injury woes. (Last week: 1)

2) Portageville (7-0)-Unbeaten Bulldogs complete turnaround regular season against nearby New Madrid County Central. (Last week: 2)

3) Malden (6-2)-Green Wave look to end season on high note against rival Dexter. (Last week: 3)

4) Charleston (6-2)-Bluejays are fighting Malden for second seed in district and finish season against Chaffee. (Last week: 4)

5) Hayti (3-5)-Though Indians drop game to Caruthersville, they seem to be on decent track heading towards the playoffs. (Last week: 5)

Next, let's take a look once again at who seems to be competing for spots in the district finals in each class in this area of Missouri.

Class 5: Jackson vs Rockwood Summit

Class 4: Sikeston vs Hillsboro

Class 3: Ste. Genevieve vs Park Hills Central or Fredericktown

Class 2: Caruthersville vs Malden or Charleston

Class 1: Portageville vs Valle

As always, I want to thank everyone who takes the time to take a glance at the Football Five each week. Please tell me what you think below. I'll see you next week for the regular season finale rankings.

Replies (17)

I think as far as C2D1 is concerned, Caruthersville has the 1 spot locked up. Regardless if they lose against SG, they beat both Charleston and Malden and if both Malden and Charleston win their last two games, all three teams will be tied at 6-2. I know it goes by points but Cville should get the vote for the 1 spot.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 9:44 AM
  • Its amazing sikeston keeps winning given the offense cant put together more than 2 quarters of consistency per game. Obviously the defense is carrying them. The offense issues may haunt them in later district rounds or especially sullivan. Unfortunately webbs gonna prevent any team from making the domegame.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 11:32 AM
  • Sideline this is a great job you do with this and i agree with you on all of this 100%

-- Posted by Semopost13 on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 11:38 AM
  • Sideline, I agree completely with your rankings this week. Gonna be interesting to see how the Cape folks react to them dropping out of the Top 5, but really they don't have a case IMO since they are 2-5 and have lost four in a row.

On the small schools Top 5, one team to keep an eye on is St. Vincent. They have very quietly improved to 5-3 and should finish 6-3. Any chance of them making the Top 5 next week Sideline? Esp. with Hayti being idle this week?

Another great column. Always look forward to reading it.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 11:55 AM

I appreciate the support everybody. Cheese, I thought Caruthersville was a little closer in points to the others than they were. Thought there was an outside possibility Charleston and Malden could both jump them this week but SG has a great strength of schedule to add and you get the bonus points for playing up so I believe you all, Sikeston, and Portageville have all clinched one seeds. Sorry about the confusion. Preach, St. Vincent has snuck up on everybody (except Bill Shakespeare) a bit and I like their team. They are definitely vieing for that five spot. I hadn't realized they had pulled off as many wins as they had.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 2:11 PM
  • The Cape fans are surprisingly silent so far.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 4:49 PM

They don't have much to talk about. This season has been a trainwreck of close losses. Not much to really dissect there.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 4:51 PM
  • Ya pretty much what sideline said. It's tough when one possession could add 4 wins to your record. I was surprised you kept cape in that long anyway, but I wasn't going to complain. It must have been tough since the losses were by a touchdown or less to teams ranked ahead of them.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:32 PM
  • i'm wondering what will happen if sikeston has a bad season? not pulling a BG, but what will there be to talk about if sikeston is getting manhandled? :-/

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:34 PM
  • It will be the refs fault. We have this covered

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:36 PM

TFA, you are cracking me up tonight.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:39 PM
  • That's an easy question to answer. Most fans will disappear. If the team is not winning, there is nothing to talk about. That goes for any school and Sikeston will not be immune to it. I've seen it time and time again from Mosports to semoball to semosportsweb.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:41 PM
  • Tonight I'm on a roll!! Thanks

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:46 PM
  • i only see sideline and rocket staying... and it will always be the refs' fault!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 6:59 PM

Yeah, I'd stick around I would think. I like discussing other teams too. It would be a dark day for SEMO sports though. I feel like the number of daily clicks on Semoball would drop dramatically. Hah.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 7:01 PM
  • I have a son coming up the years in football so I would be around for a while if we started losing and I'm sure it will happen some day but seriously I like reading all this (does that mean I have no life?)

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 7:07 PM
  • As a cape fan I have no problem with the rankings. Why would we comment unless we disagree. Like SEMO said, we are 4 plays away from being 6 and 2 instead of 2 and 6. I think we all know that Cape could beat Portageville but I have no problem with them being there. It's been a tough year but hopefully we will adjust our schedule next year.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Oct 15, 2012, at 8:14 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: