Semoball

High School Football Forum: Interesting observation from "another blogspot" about a couple local teams

Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:09 AM:

Join us as we bring you quick news stories at 10:00 a.m. from around the world of Show-Me Prep Sports. Today let's take a look at 10 teams flying "under the radar" this Missouri prep football season.

No. 1

In his first season head coach Jeff Bullock has guided the Portageville Bulldogs to a 5-0 start with victories over St. Pius X, Kennett, Malden, Chaffee, and Hayti. The Bulldogs have yet to crack the Missouri top ten rankings and are currently leading the Class 1, District 1 standings.

No. 2

The Milan Wildcats have opened the season with a 4-0 start, outscoring foes 193-39, yet they are still awaiting their first appearance in the Power Poll. Don't be shocked if the Wildcats enter district play with a perfect mark, their upcoming four opponents sport a combined 4-16 record.

No. 3

Moving up to Class 3 this season the Hogan Prep Rams haven't missed a beat starting with a 5-0 record, including a 46-0 victory over University Academy this week. The Rams have moved up to No. 7 in the most recent Power Poll, but still may not be getting their due.

No. 4

Larry Laubenstein's St. Paul Lutheran Saints are thriving in the 2012 season, starting with a 5-0 record, 4-0 in the I-70 Conference. The Saints have been so dominant, they have defeated foes by a combined score of 230-23. Dominating a Class 1 league the Saints will be challenged by Wellington Napoleon, but must prove their stuff in the upcoming Class 2 playoffs.

No. 5

The Orchard Farm Eagles have improved to 5-0 this season, all the while flying under the radar and missing the Class 3 rankings. The Eagles have allowed just 13 points this year and have posted three shutout victories. Sophomore running back Armand Keely has led the way for the Eagles rushing for 623 yards and 10 touchdowns. Sophomore QB Tyler Westerfeld has completed 59% of his passes for 472 yards and 6 touchdowns.

No. 6

A 27-14 victory over the previously ranked Borgia Knights might have let the St. Dominic secret out of the back. The Crusaders are very talented. This season they have built a 5-0 record, outscoring foes 40 to 15 while building a perfect AAA league mark. Dominic can pound the ball on the ground and junior running back Jake Wilmes leads the team in carries, yards with 556 and touchdowns with 8.

No. 7

8-3 a season ago the Sikeston Bulldogs started the 2012 season with little fanfare. Through five weeks and five victories the Bulldogs have moved all the way to No. 4 in the Power Poll rankings after opening out of the list. Senior quarterback Kyland Gross has been outstanding for the Bulldogs passing for 370-yards, rushing for 672-yards and figuring into 11 Sikeston touchdowns.

No. 8

In his inaugural season leading the Jackson Indians head coach Brent Eckley is enjoying the success he helped develop at Montgomery County and Union. The Indians have rebounded from a 2-8 club a season ago to a 5-0 group that has now entered the Class 5 rankings. The Indians averaged 463 yards of offense each week and QB Ty Selsor (196 yards) and running back Colten Proffer (116 yards) have been steady performers. This week the undefeated clash with Sikeston will place the spotlight clearly on two programs that might have been "under the radar".

No. 9

The Hickman Kewpies entered their week 5 showdown with their cross town rivals with a 4-0 record, but without a state ranking. The Kewpies emerged with a 22-21 victory and a new spot ranked at No. 9 in the Class 6 Power Poll. Kewpie QB Mason Murray completed 5-of-8 passes and passed for three touchdowns in the victory. This week the Kewps take on another rival in undefeated Jefferson City.

No. 10

3-7 a season ago, it wasn't so long ago the Parkview Vikings had one of the state's longest streaks of futility. Head coach Anthony Hays has guided the 2012 Vikings to a 5-0 start with five Ozarks Conference wins including victories over Waynesville and Camdenton. Senior QB Lance Ruff earned top academic all-state honors a season ago, this year Ruff is playing like an all-state leader. Ruff has completed nearly 70% of his passes for 657 yards and 7 touchdown passes. Senior running back Cole Jenkins is backing up his fine 2011 season, he has opened with 534 yards and 6 touchdowns this season.

Replies (15)

Great read Rocket! That Sikseton/Jackson game is going to be a classic.

I'd like to throw a team in there as well. In Class 2, I think Mountain Grove is the darkhorse of the class. Here's why I say that. They beat last year's class 3 state champs, Logan-Rogersville 39-21, also beat Ava, a team that beat (at the time #1 ranked team in Class 2) Liberty Eagles, 36-12. This team could very well be the team to beat in Class 2. They've played a pretty tough schedule as well. I guess we will see how it all plays out.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:23 AM
  • Interesting! My cousin played for Orchard Farm way back when!

-- Posted by mojo3 on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:28 AM
  • The Hickman Kewpies? Isn't a kewpie a doll? What kind of mascot name is that?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:40 AM

I thought this was a interesting read. I think I would have stuck with the trojans!

The Kewpie doll has been the mascot of the school for the last 97 years. Hickman is the only known school in the world with a Kewpie as its mascot. The name dates back to the basketball season of 1913 -1914 at what was known then as Columbia High School. Apparently, the school secretary owned a Kewpie doll, as they were popular figurines then, and she kept it on her desk. At one of the first basketball games in December 1913 she placed her Kewpie doll in the center of the court, and the entire game was played around it without it being broken. This was somewhat remarkable since the dolls were very fragile. Because it survived the game and brought a victory, it was thereafter considered the good luck mascot. You can see a picture of that Kewpie doll beneath Sam Church in the team photograph in the 1914 school annual. That team had a straight claim to the state championship of Missouri for 1914 as they had an undefeated season. Coincidentally Sam Church was the Captain of the 1914 Kewpie basketball team and was the first Kewpie to letter in four sports. The school annual, the Cresset of 1914 was the first annual to display a Kewpie. In addition to the doll between Sam's feet in the team picture a drawing of a Kewpie appeared as a dedication to the team. The dedication said, "To the Basket Ball Team of 1914, whose loyalty to the school and to the Kewpie motto, 'Keep Smiling', has won the State Championship, this volume of the Cresset is dedicated." The only previous known mascot for Columbia High School, which became David Henry Hickman High School in 1927, was the Trojans. It is referenced in the first school annual, the Cresset of 1912. Columbia/Hickman High School has graduated over 35,000 "Kewpies" in its history and they are still honored to be called "Kewpies!"

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 11:52 AM
  • Well that's interesting, Buck, but I'm like you, I would've stuck with the Trojans. Why in the world would the secretary have put her kewpie doll in the center of the court? Why was that allowed? Truth is always stranger than fiction.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 12:28 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking! What was the point of that in the first place haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 12:36 PM
  • Wouldn't it have been funny to watch the jump-ball at the beginning of that game? With both guys and the ref trying to avoid the Kewpie doll? LOL.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 12:41 PM
  • the trojans lost the war. and they're kind of fragile in a sense...

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 1:02 PM
  • If I recall correctly it was a Raging debate between the Kewpies and the Trojans. However, at the end the trojans just had to pull out.

-- Posted by NeverWasBeen on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 1:04 PM
  • What site is that?

-- Posted by zachattack on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 4:35 PM
  • Go kewpies!!!! (im married to one) my kids will be a kewpie or a caruthersville tiger ! Cnt wait till kewpie jays game!

-- Posted by cvilletger on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 8:29 PM
  • you shouldn't have to pull out with trojans...

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 8:35 PM
  • Trojans should not always be trusted!

-- Posted by Horizontal Stretch on Wed, Sep 26, 2012, at 8:49 PM
  • We ( Liberty Eagles ) were #2 at the time and Ava beat us 27-26

-- Posted by screech on Thu, Sep 27, 2012, at 10:25 PM

I was wrong on the ranking of MVL at the time but the score I posted was the Mountain Grove/Ava game final. I could have worded it different but that's what I meant.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Sep 28, 2012, at 10:28 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: