Semoball

High School Football Forum: Fredericktown at Potosi

Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:07 PM:

Fredericktown wins 43-22. Game closer than score shows.

Basic synopsis:

You know how a cat plays with a mouse for awhile before they pounce for the kill? These'Cats played with trojan mice for about 2 1/2 quarters then pounced for the win!

More later except has anyone ever seen an unsportsmanlike penalty on the stadium announcer?

Replies (8)

• Lol, what did he say? I've never seen that before.

-- Posted by Shortbus on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:15 PM
  • Well, FredMo had the ball at about their 40, ran a running play on 3rd and fairly long and was flagged for a hold. While the refs were sorting it out and the crowd was quiet, the announcer goes "There's a flag on the play and we don't know why". Right then White Hat pulls out his rag and calls 15 unsportsman against Potosi. They marked off the ten for the hold then the fifteen giving us a third and short that we converted for a first down and got a TD later in the drive. Kept the drive alive. I don't think the announcer said anything else for several minutes and probably getting an earful from the coach.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:22 PM
  • That's a new one to me too! I guess the Potosi people didn't find it too funny. Tonight at Dexter one of the officials got into it with some guy in the press box below us but no flag was thrown. The ref told this guy to let us call the game and you just run the scoreboard so I guess it was a Dexter guy he was beefing with. Sounds like a strange night all over Semo with the officiating.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Sep 21, 2012, at 11:41 PM
  • i just loved how 2 years ago potosi fans went NUTS about sikeston's announcer saying "Rogers ran 75 yards for a 2 yard gain." and then the trojan announcer pulls this? i really don't think it was WHAT he said, it was HOW he said it. i have never seen coach casey show any anger before last night and he looked like he was about to stroke out! i'm surprised they aren't on here pulling a bleed green and crying about the reffs! in my opinion both teams got screwed on A LOT of calls.

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Sat, Sep 22, 2012, at 4:51 PM
  • MO's Game analysis:

After watching the replay of the game off Ch 18's website, here are my feelings. It is kind of disconcerting to see yourself in stands on the TV since the cameras were on the Potosi side!

This past game was another classic Trojan vs Blackcat slugfest. For the first half, it was pretty much a defensive battle. I remember both sides having a couple series before the Blackcats scored first. They failed to convert the PAT, couldn't tell if the kick was tipped or the kicker just miffed the kick, which ended up not mattering in the end. Potosi scored not long later with a good mix of running and passing on their drive and kicked it for the PAT, something I haven't seen the Trojans do in quite awhile. For the rest of the half, both sides would move the ball but the defenses would toughen forcing turnovers on downs or punts. Potosi was probably doing a better job moving the ball in the first half and controlling the time of possession, similar to the Central game. Potosi's QB, Aaron Vinson was fun to watch and has a good strong arm, but the 'Cats secondary held his receivers pretty much in check. He still completed 10 of 19 for 89 yards. Dusty Wideman as RB did yeoman duty during the game, gaining 118 yards on 23 carries according to the Daily Journal. Wideman's a big kid, reminds me a lot of G'Darius Stevenson from NMCC. His defensive skills are great too, I lost count how many times he blew through the 'Cats O-line and chased the ball around in the back-field. During the first half, the 'Cats offense, except for the first TD seemed to be sputtering a bit. A long pass the Korokis for about 45 yards was negated on a holding penalty would have been the highlight of the half.

Coming out of half-time you had the feeling both sides were making adjustments, the tempo of the game picked up. The 'Cats struck first making it 14-7. Four or five minutes later Potosi struck making it 15-14. The Blackcats then turned it on and began to dominate both offense and defense. They made a blocking adjustment and kept Wideman out of the back field better and moved the ball with several deep strikes with the score 28-15 by the end of the third. The 'Cats had Potosi deep in their own territory.

Somewhere in the third, I think it was on the drive when the 'Cats made the score 28 was when the unsportsmanlike call was made I described on an earlier post. I had the sequence wrong there. Here's how it went based on the video re-play: The 'Cats had a third and ten on about their own 35. On that play a flag was thrown against Potosi for a blow to the head of the Fredericktown runner giving them a first and 10 near the 50. On the next play, the 'Cats were flagged for a hold by the side judge and it was while the White Hat was in the motion of signaling the penalty the stadium announcer made the "Flag on the play and we don't know why" statement, but you can't hear it on the video feed. Daddy will verify the announcer did say that. White Hat pulls out his rag and calls the deadball unsportsmanlike on Potosi. Coach Casey comes out LIVID. I wish I could read lips; the whole thing is on a close-up on the video. The booth team for the TV made comment that they thought it was on the Potosi coaching staff and would find out, but never did say anything except a passing comment in the post-game show. You could tell Coach Casey didn't want to talk about it. So we still don't know for sure, except the circumstances support it was on the stadium announcer, he was OUIET for some time after that.

The 'Cats tacked on another after a Korokis interception making it 35-15 at the start of the fourth Potosi made it 35-22 with three minutes left but the 'Cats nailed the coffin late making it a final of 43-22. Justin Sawyer had one spectacular touchdown reception somewhere in this game but not taking notes, I don't remember exactly when now. I think it was the TD giving the 'Cats the lead for good. And for most of the second half, only two starting receivers were playing, Korokis and Sawyer. James Royer was the only starting RB. Reide Roberts was hurt in the first half with a helmet under his shoulder and Zach Proffer did not start. The 'Cat defensive secondary also missed those guys. The fill ins did a GREAT job!

Potosi's defense is good, some big boys on the line a speedy LB corps (with Wideman being the stand out there) and an ok secondary. Going into the fourth, FredMo's O-line was handling them VERY well and wearing them out. Potos''s offense has a lot of potential and could give lesser defenses fits. I do think if it wasn't for FredMo's great secondary, the score would be quite a bit different. Didn't look like many seniors were in the skill positions for Potosi. Vinson will only get better. I do think they are a legit #3 or 4 seed for the District rounds and if they get lucky, could win a district banner. Could they beat a JBS? I don't think any team in District 1 can right now, but they'd have just as good a shot as PHC, Ste Gen or FredMo. That Wideman kid better get some college looks!

Some Stats:

Gremminger: 10 for 19, 134 yards (100 -- 110 were in second half) 2 TD passes

Vinson: 10 for 19, 89 yards, 2 TD passes

Gremminger 122 yards rushing on 22 carries, 3 TD's

Wideman: 118 yards on 23 carries, one TD

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 11:13 AM
  • yea mojo, that's the ONLY thing i could think of. it was really quiet when the announcer said it and i didn't hear ANYTHING from the potosi sideline... i know the guy and he's not the type of guy to do that on purpose. i think his tone came out wrong. regardless of how it was said, the announcer's job is to state the facts, not say some smart a** commment. the game WAS better than the score indicated. but, i'm gonna pull a Bleed Green and say that if freddy was at full health, it would have been a different game. reide roberts is probably the second best defender on the team next to korokis and proffer is a HUGE weapon on offense. my surprise of the game was how WELL nick oertel did on defense! that kid came out to play friday!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 4:13 PM
  • About the only thing that could get you a flag from the sideline like that is usually a loud F- or S-bomb. If something like that was said loud enough for the White Hat to hear, we would have heard it too. White Hat must have been in a foul mood, because as you say, the comment itself wasn't really sarcastic or hateful. Just a lesson learned to watch what you say over the loudspeaker! If you get anymore info from your spies, let me know.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 7:16 PM
  • yea coach ford was really good about getting threatened with a flag! and i'll see what i can find out from my sources in potosi on what was said to the announcer after that!

-- Posted by Perrywinkle on Mon, Sep 24, 2012, at 8:30 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: