Semoball

High School Football Forum: Cville vs. Charleston moved to 5 p.m.

Posted by Matt Duckworth on Sat, Sep 8, 2012, at 10:45 AM:

Due to a shortage of refs, the Caruthersville vs. Charleston game will be played at 5 p.m. today in Charleston. The game was slated for 4 p.m.

Replies (15)

That's a good thing with all that running up and down that field Darrell is going to be doing that extra hours dry time will help.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Sep 8, 2012, at 12:57 PM

It's ok since your players are taught to put helmets on knees you did what you wanted and took him out of the game. He limped in a 50yarder on ya and that's all we needed if they would work more on watching the snap on defense and a little less on dirty tackling they would have done better tonight.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Sep 8, 2012, at 7:26 PM

I know kids get hurt playing the game, you guys came on here and said we were nothing without Monroe...well if we are nothing without Monroe what does that make Charleston?

I just hope we get the chance to play again with Monroe healthy. I will give credit to our defense though other than a few long plays we controlled the line of scrimmage for the most part.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Sat, Sep 8, 2012, at 9:57 PM

Your point is what? It's no surprise Caruthersville used to be the doormat in Semo. I'm not saying we are the best team around or we are unbeatable because that's far from the case. I am a realist when it comes to my Tigers. You can't show me where I've ever talked them up. When it comes to Charleston and Caruthersville, it seems a few of you guys from Charleston always has something negative to say about us. Not saying you, but last year was really bad. A few of them guys are nowhere to be found this year, as I predicted.

This has gotten a little out of control. I understand where your coming from He Hate Me. You also have to understand where we are coming from.We all are very passionate about our teams and we all will defend them. You think I have something personally against Charleston when I actually don't. I was rooting for them last year in the state title game in basketball. We just get tired of hearing people question Monroe's status as a player and his grades. That's why we get defensive in that aspect. And no, I'm not talking about anyone inparticular but generalizing it. Does he have weaknesses? Yes! He's not the perfect player. Is he the best in the state? No! Why not let us be proud to have him on our team just like Charleston was proud to have Greg Tucker on their basketball team. We never talked down about Tucker when that's all we heard about last two years. He was the best in Semo, there was no arguing that.

We all just need to take a deep breathe, think before we type, and everything will be better! All this arguing over the same things get's old.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 11:19 AM

That wasn't me talking him up, that was Beef. I can't speak for anyone other than myself. I was trying to end all the bickering back and forth because it's all pointless. Let's just be glad we have great athletes on the field and court!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 2:06 PM
  • Amen! Great game C'ville!!! Blue Jays moving forward to the next opponent. Go Blue Jays!!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 4:05 PM
  • Charleston better enjoy basketball this year, next few years won't be so fun.

-- Posted by BIG G on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 4:46 PM

Serious question He Hate Me. Greg Tucker wasn't from Charleston was he? I thought he moved in from somewhere else? I don't remember if it was Cape or somewhere in Ill. Charleston has a dynasty in bball, that's for sure.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Sep 9, 2012, at 7:04 PM
  • He hate me...1st, I love the screen name! Your post forced me to do a little research on the C'ville v. C'town football rivalry. C'town does hold a commanding edge in the overall record, 42-32 and 4 ties.

Interestingly, the two teams 1st met in 1916, and they played twice that year with Charleston winning both games. Charleston also won in 1917.

Here are the records by decade (C'ville-C'town):

1910s: 0-3

1920s: 1-3

1930s: 1-7-2

1940s: 1-2

1950s: 5-4-1

1960s: 2-7-1

1970s: 0-1

1980s: 6-4

1990s: 4-8

2000s: 8-3

2010s: 4-0

As you can see, Charleston jumped out to an early lead in early 1900s. From the 1940s to the present, it has been a pretty even series, with the Tigers holding a one win edge, (30-29-2).

Also, C'ville has actually won the 5 last games (counting Saturday), last losing to Charleston in 2007.

I don't keep up with the basketball records, but no doubt Charleston has dominated the Tigers (and most every other school)!

Best of luck to the Blue Jays for the rest of the season. I think your football program seems to be headed onward and upward.

-- Posted by Judgedog on Mon, Sep 10, 2012, at 1:32 AM

It was actually a serious question. Funny how you get ticked on that question but we are not suppose to get upset when someone questions Monroe's status. To answer your question, I was born and raised in Caruthersville. I never said it was a bad thing to have a move in, you interpreted it that way.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Sep 10, 2012, at 8:57 PM
  • I've seen Charleston plenty, young and old and if you think you have the best juniors or sophs your going to be disapointed.

-- Posted by BIG G on Mon, Sep 10, 2012, at 9:36 PM

Elbie will be playing football at Semo next year. Also, former Tiger Peter Loydd plays WR for Semo also. So don't try and hate before you know the story. I've never said I hated Charleston. I admire their basketball program. I wish Caruthersville could have a program like that year after year, but everyone in Caruthersville focus's on football more. Me personally, I love basketball just as much as football. I hope our new coach can get the talent we have at Cville ready to play this year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 8:04 AM

Hey, Cheese....in basketball, all it takes is one good run to the final four (state championship sure helps) and it seems to transform the community. Charleston was a football town until 1975 when the Jays won their first state championship in basketball; football has been in the background since. Even with the Jays' run to the semifinals in football on two occasions, it just couldn't restore the program to its former status. The football program is on an upswing, right now, but whether it lasts remains to be seen.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 8:24 AM
  • birdfan....I agree totally with your comment. Sikeston was a football town for MANY years! It started to change under Fred Johnson when we went to Columbia in 1995, but it became the reality when we went back in 2006 and won state in 2011 (including the deep playoff runs in between those). Coach Holifield has transformed this town into a basketball town. The recent success of the football team has been great as well. It has given the town something to cheer for rather than "waiting on basketball season." All of the players and coaches are to be commended! Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 9:05 AM
  • He hate me, Rome was once the greatest empire in the world. What are they know? Your empire ends after this year.

-- Posted by BIG G on Tue, Sep 11, 2012, at 1:34 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: