Semoball

High School Football Forum: So you want to Be A football Official?

Posted by SCCowboys on Fri, Oct 23, 2009, at 5:21 AM:

Suspicious Clock/Timing Error

Here's a what do you do?

The Clock is showing (21.0 seconds) at the snap 4th Quarter. The home team is losing 8-6. It is 2nd Down after A1 Spiked the Ball. Team A has NO TIMEOUTS. A1 is sacked for a loss.

And then it happens The oh Suspicious Clock/Timing Error. The clock operator stops the clock with 7.2 seconds for some reason. (the clock would stop if it was the NFL on a QB sack but this is MSHSAA Rules). And of course the Visiting team Coaches are going crazy about the clock being stopped.

No big deal, this happens some times. So I give the wind the clock three times and he doesn't start it, so I gave the signal a second time. I am guessing the 7.2 would have ran off if he hadn't stopped the clock to begin with.

So here's the Oh What do you?

This is what I did..... I grabbed the ball and spotted it. Looked at the QB and said, here's the 25 and blew my whistle. And started counting the 7.2 myself! Giving the arm movement, as the Back judge does when the 25 second clock goes under 5 seconds. When I got to the 8 count, (giving Team A, a little break), they hadn't snapped the ball yet. So I blew my whistle, and raised the ball declaring the game over!!!

NOTE: Right are Wrong, I gave Team A 8 seconds. When they never should have gotten any, with no timeouts had the Suspicious Clock/Timing Error not have happened. The visiting coach thanked me and said. "that took over 20 seconds", which I agreed with.

Let me know what you think.

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: