Jackson @ North County

Fredericktown @ Kennett

NMCC @ Malden

Sullivan @ Park Hills

Union @ Poplar Bluff

Portageville @ St.Puis X(Festus)

Herculaneum @ Scott City

Valle @ Fr. Tolten Catholic

I think I covered all Semo area teams, if I left one out, feel free to add.

Replies (75)

• WOW. This is difficult.

I think I would feel pretty good about picking Sikeston to beat Charleston.

....but ????? on most of the others!!

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 9:33 AM

I agree! I'd say John Burroughs and Sikeston are locks for me. I'll make my predictions later today.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 9:42 AM

John Burroughs @ Cape Central-John Burroughs

Caruthersville @ Liberty(Mountain View)-Caruthersville

Chaffee @ Grandview(Hillsboro)-Chaffee

Charleston @ Sikeston-Sikeston

Dexter @ St.Gen-St.Gen

East Prarie @ Perryville-Perryville

Farmington @ Festus-Farmington

Hayti @ Thayer-Thayer

Jackson @ North County-North County

Fredericktown @ Kennett-Fredericktown

NMCC @ Malden-NMCC

Sullivan @ Park Hills-Park Hills

Union @ Poplar Bluff-Poplar Bluff

Portageville @ St.Puis X(Festus) Portageville

Herculaneum @ Scott City-Herculaneum

Valle @ Fr. Tolten Catholic-Valle

Didn't know much about some of the teams so a few of the games were just guessing.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 10:13 AM

Lots of interesting games on the schedule. I'd say this is one of the best Week 1 slates we've had in awhile. Game of the week to me would be Caruthersville-Mtn. View. Hayti-Thayer will be a great Class 1 battle and Farmington-Festus could also steal the show. Plus, although I expect JB to win big, their matchup with Cape is also one that interests me. As someone who is out of area right now, I'm excited for Cover-It-Live with Crader next Friday to keep tabs on them all. I'll supply full predictions later.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 10:30 AM

I think Caruthersville vs Mt.View is the best match-up as well. Cville is #5 in Mosports Power Poll and Liberty is #4. Both return a ton of talent from last year. One advantage we have over them is we return our QB and have Darrell at RB. They are replacing both QB and RB from last year. Should be a fun game though, it can go either way imo.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 10:37 AM
  • sideline......what is cover-it-live with Crader?

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 10:38 AM

Zach- Rachel Crader goes to a high school game every friday night and gives us live updates on the game(play by play,stats). Also, other posters update everyone on games they are at and post on Cover it Live. It's a great way to keep up with Semo area schools on friday night. Rachel does an outstanding job!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 10:45 AM
  • Hmm....that is really cool! Where is that found at?

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 11:27 AM

It'll be on the front page of the site. Probably as a banner along the top next Friday.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 11:30 AM
  • Awesome! I'll definitely have to check that out from week to week!

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 11:38 AM
  • I'd include Potosi in the list too. They are playing Confluence Prep out of the city according to MSHSAA.

Here's mine:

John Burroughs @ Cape Central - JBS

Caruthersville @ Liberty(Mountain View) - C'ville

Chaffee @ Grandview(Hillsboro) - Grandview

Charleston @ Sikeston - Sikeston

Dexter @ St.Gen - Ste. Gen

East Prarie @ Perryville - Perryville

Farmington @ Festus - Festus

Hayti @ Thayer - Thayer

Jackson @ North County - NC

Fredericktown @ Kennett - Fredericktown

NMCC @ Malden - Malden

Sullivan @ Park Hills - PHC

Union @ Poplar Bluff - No idea here....

Portageville @ St.Puis X(Festus) Portageville

Herculaneum @ Scott City - Herky

Valle @ Fr. Tolten Catholic - Valle

Confluence Acad. @ Potosi - Potosi.

-- Posted by mojo3 on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 12:12 PM
  • Could not even begin to guess at some of these games. I will stick with the ones i think i know.

John Burroughs

Caruthersville

Sikeston

Dexter

Thayer

Jackson

Kennett (cant help it)

NMCC

Union

Portageville

-- Posted by mule1993 on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 12:42 PM
  • About time for some semo pig skin pick is it not?

-- Posted by mule1993 on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 12:43 PM
  • I am gonna say Cape

They were impressive in Contact camp in June....

they are big, physical,and quick.

Burroughs is a class 3 school yes?

Gonna go with the Tigers....more to come

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 7:02 PM

I hope Sikeston wins by more than 21.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 7:59 PM
  • John Burroughs is the real deal......at least they were last year!

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 8:27 PM

John Burroughs has a running back going to Ohio State. If we are talking about a decent area Class 3 team, I'd agree Cape would win but JB is a top notch, state title contending team in Class 3. They would beat most every team down here if they are close to where they were last year.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 8:37 PM
  • I think a JB - Farmington game would have been entertaining last year!

-- Posted by zachattack on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 9:06 PM

Just got back from the Dyersburg, Fayettware game it was really boring can't wait for some good ole Missouri football to get underway....Best part of the night was watching the 10 old fighter planes fly over during the National Anthem.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 9:09 PM
  • With you bleed green, JB has 3 D1 kids.Take a look at the 6'4 255 kid. Stud...Not to mention the rec. and Elliot...I heard Liberty is real good. Chaffe,Sikeston,SG,EP,Festus,Thayer,NC,Fred,NMCC, Sullivan is loaded as well,PB is at home and gets the nod,Portegville,SC,Valle big...

-- Posted by Horizontal Stretch on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 9:46 PM

Liberty is really good. They played Lamar very tough last season in the quarterfinal game. It will def be a test for both teams friday night!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Aug 17, 2012, at 9:49 PM

If I wasn't going to the Caruthersville game friday, I would most definitely be going to the Cape/JB game. Would anyone happen to know if KFVS12 is doing any games this year?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Aug 18, 2012, at 6:01 PM

John Burroughs

Liberty (Mountain View)-This game was literally a tossup for me

Chaffee

Sikeston

Ste. Genevieve

Perryville

Farmington

Thayer

North County

Fredericktown

NMCC

Park Hills Central

Union

Portageville

Herculaneum

Valle

Top 5 Games of the Week (in my opinion):

1) Caruthersville-Liberty (Mountain View)

2) Dexter-Ste. Genevieve

3) Hayti-Thayer

4) Farmington-Festus

5) Cape Central-John Burroughs

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 12:23 PM

I agree Sideline about the Cville game being a toss up. I think that 3.5 hour drive could take some out of my Tigers but I still say we have a little advantage at the skill positions.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 12:55 PM

You know I'm not rooting against you guys Cheese. I'd love to see you win but that drive is brutal. Sikeston used to have to do a similar one to play West Plains. I also kinda wish it were in a couple weeks after both teams have had some time in real games with their personnel. First week games can sometimes be upsets due to teams not completely gelling yet.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 1:11 PM

Oh I agree with you 100%.. It really is a 50/50 toss up this early in the season. Your right, that drive is brutal, I always hated going on long road games. Either way though, win or lose, Caruthersville will only be a better team after this game. Playing great teams like that makes you see your weaknesses and I think we will have some on the defensive side of the ball, most importantly, the secondary.. We are replacing a few key guys from last year. Should be an exciting game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 1:15 PM
  • sideline starter

I'm not sure Dexter-Ste Genevieve will be one of the Top 5 closest games of the week. We will see.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 1:19 PM

Dustin, district rivals who have made the quarters last year (Ste. Gen) and the year before (Dexter) and have been two of the three best teams in the class in the area the last couple of years starting the season against each other isn't enough for it to warrant it being in the top five? I'm not saying these will be the five closest games. That top five is based on competitiveness of game, quality of teams involved, potential storylines around the game, etc. Sikeston-Charleston would be next on the list what with it being the best rivalry in SEMO but I don't expect that game to be anywhere near close and Charleston is not the most quality team in the area at the moment.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 1:26 PM
  • Hate to rain on anyone's parade but us Farmngton Knights will STEAMROLL Festus on Friday. 3/4 of their offense last year with QB Goodard is gone as he transferred to Kirkwood. Farmington with ar running clock late in 3rd qtr.

-- Posted by blackgold on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 3:44 PM
  • Cape Central looked good at their jamboree on Friday, but I doubt they have a 500 season with that schedule...Not sure what the thinking is but just hope we are healthy come districts..

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 3:56 PM
  • I exect Farmington to be 9-0 or at worst 8-1 after week 9. The only test will be Hillsboro. However, we open lots of eyes week 1 with a lopsided win vs. Festus at Festus. Will not be close.

-- Posted by blackgold on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 4:33 PM

John Burroughs @ Cape Central - Cape Central

Caruthersville @ Liberty(Mountain View) - C'ville

Chaffee @ Grandview(Hillsboro) - Grandview

Charleston @ Sikeston - Sikeston

Dexter @ St.Gen - Ste. Gen

East Prarie @ Perryville - Perryville

Farmington @ Festus - Festus

Hayti @ Thayer - Hayti

Jackson @ North County - NC

Fredericktown @ Kennett - Fredericktown

NMCC @ Malden - Malden

Sullivan @ Park Hills - PHC

Union @ Poplar Bluff - Union

Portageville @ St.Puis X(Festus)- St.Puis

Herculaneum @ Scott City - Herky

Valle @ Fr. Tolten Catholic - Valle

-- Posted by MaldenGreenwaveSports on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 6:08 PM
  • Didn't cape beat Farmington at the jamboree?

I see 5 wins for sure for central. I don't know anything about east and I assume chaminade will be very good. The sikeston game is a toss up for me since I haven't seen either team this year but sikeston lost more than central.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 7:15 PM
  • Not that familiar with that many of these teams, but- East Prairie vs Perryville *Perryville

Dexter vs Ste Genevieve * Ste Genevieve

Dexter has some good up and coming-but at Sikeston Contact Camp- Perryville pretty much dominated against Dexter-so I believe Ste Gen has more experience.....

-- Posted by Guest21 on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 7:31 PM
  • Does anybody know more about Union and North County?

-- Posted by Tigers2638 on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 9:52 PM

Union was pretty darn good last year in Class 4. Had the coach who was hired at Jackson. Gotta believe the players left over have to be at least decent. They'll beat PB.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 9:55 PM
  • Jackson beat North County 14-7 in their house last season and the Indians had a pretty bad season. So I would think Jackson will be the favorite to win the game this season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 10:05 PM
  • You see I heard Union lost 20 of their 22 starters last year

-- Posted by Tigers2638 on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 10:11 PM
  • John Burroughs @ Cape Central: JB

Caruthersville @ Liberty(Mountain View): Liberty (MV)

Chaffee @ Grandview(Hillsboro): Grandview (Hillsboro)

Charleston @ Sikeston: Sikeston

Dexter @ St.Gen: Dexter

East Prarie @ Perryville: Perryville

Farmington @ Festus: Farmington

Hayti @ Thayer: Thayer

Jackson @ North County: Jackson

Fredericktown @ Kennett: Fredericktown

NMCC @ Malden: NMCC

Sullivan @ Park Hills: Park Hills

Union @ Poplar Bluff: Union

Portageville @ St.Pius X (Festus): St. Pius X

Herculaneum @ Scott City: Herculaneum

Valle @ Fr. Tolten Catholic: Valle

Confluence Academy @ Potosi: Potosi

And BTW, Guest21, I know you're a big Perryville fan, but let's try to have some semblance of objectivity here. To say that Perryville dominated Dexter at the Sikeston Contact Camp is just laughable. If anything, it was just the opposite. My son sacked their QB twice.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 10:21 PM
  • Preacher Man-I have quite a bit of inside knowledge about Dexter. Nothing bad-infact You used to have a very good Little league football team. Especially the Black Team.(I believe you all lost a player to Perryville-correct? One of your best players-) Still have the footage of the contact camp between the 2. Perryville had more yards-Dexter did not dominate-I will concede to the idea that they wee pretty equal. Either way-Ste Gen has more experience. Sorry.

-- Posted by Guest21 on Sun, Aug 19, 2012, at 11:52 PM
  • Bluff loses by 30 to Union this week.

-- Posted by BillYung on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 7:03 AM
  • Liberty QB was backup last yr for injury and had 2000 yds passing and 900 rushing, is also best wide reciever. They will put up ton of points with passing game and speed to spare.

-- Posted by cullconley on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 7:32 AM

Well I read on the Mosports Pre-Season Power Poll that he only played QB for 5 games, so to say he passed for 2000 yards and rushed for 900 is Exaggerating it a little bit. No way he average 400 yards in the air, and 180 on the ground per game! I'm sure the guy is very good, don't get me wrong but what type of talent does he have to throw to? Last season HE was the all state wide receiver, can't play both QB and WR at the same time. They do return a lot of talent on both sides of the ball though. They will be very experienced on the defensive side which will be huge against a high scoring offense like Caruthersville. I think this game comes down to who can win the turnover game and get points off of it. This will be a high scoring game. I still pick my Tigers to win, even though that 3.5 hour drive is going to be tough.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 7:47 AM

Just got his stats from last season and he was 47 completions on 87 attempts. He had 11 Td's to 3 Ints. He also had 28 carries for 192 yards with 3 Td's. So I wouldn't say he is this prolific passer and rusher. As sideline said, I wish this could have been a mid-season game so it would give both teams time to gel together. Anything can happen in a week 1 match-up. Either way though, Cville will have to get through Maplewood and Liberty will have to get through Lamar in order to see each other again, and that is a tall order.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 7:54 AM

Sorry I left out his passing yardage, it was 946 on the season

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 7:59 AM

I'm not sure when they are leaving..The game is this friday night so I'm assuming they will leave early that afternoon.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 8:12 AM
  • blackgold...you don't think that Sikeston will a "test" in Week 4 at the Dome? Just curious....

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 8:31 AM

They are a very tough team with good coaching. Even if we lose, as long as we compete well, and put up a good showing, that will go a long way with the confidence this team will have afterwards. It will only make our team stronger and more prepared for the tougher games down the stretch! Caruthersville is moving in the right direction as far as scheduling tougher teams. St.Gen will be a very tough game as well. They will test our rush defense I'm sure. I'm really excited about the game friday night!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 8:35 AM
  • Cheesehead,

were any other SEMO treams in the MoSports poll?

-- Posted by InYourOpinion on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 9:12 AM
  • Class 1: Valle was #3 and Hayti #10, I imagine if Thayer beats Hayti Friday they'll enter the poll

Class 2: Cville was #5 (Liberty 4, Maplewood 3)

Class 3: none

Class 4: none

-- Posted by MU_Tigers on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 9:15 AM
  • You think Thayer is going to beat Hayti? What about Mt. View and C-Ville? Those are long road trips but should be good games.

-- Posted by InYourOpinion on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 12:24 PM
  • Guest21, to my knowledge no Dexter football players moved to Perryville. I will double-check that with my boys. We did have two players move to Malden. As for Ste. Gen, they lost alot of players to graduation just like we did, so I don't know how that equates to them having that much more experience than we do. I will grant you they will be the favorite Friday night as it will be in their house. But we will see how it goes; IMO, the teams that wins the turnover battle will win the game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 12:30 PM
  • In Class 3 & 4 SEMO teams get no look until about week 5...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 12:30 PM
  • BleedGreen, I think that's the first thing we've agreed on! LOL! Dexter has some pretty good players coming back too; see my various comments on this thread for our playmakers. I'll say "hi" on my way to the visitor's side Friday night.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 5:25 PM
  • Guest21, I just re-read your earlier post and you are right about the Black Team being totally dominant in our Little League program a few years back. They went undefeated one season and my youngest son played on that team. One of the best players on that team moved after that school year, a kid named Alex Brown. But I don't think he moved to Perryville, though I could be wrong about that. Is Brown at Perryville now, Guest21?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 5:41 PM
  • Union has only 4 seniors on their roster this season. But they have a young QB that figures to be very good this season. What's Bluff got for this season?

-- Posted by Showstopper on Mon, Aug 20, 2012, at 11:45 PM
  • Bleed Green,

Just a quick FYI. You like to reference SG's head football coach a lot on here. His last name is "Stolzer", not "Stoltzer". Just thought you might want to make that correction in future posts.

-- Posted by kools&oe on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 10:12 AM

Yes, Liberty's qb(Jaelon Acklin) only played 5 games at qb after our starter went down. He is the coach's son and made all state at 3 different sports last year as a sophomore(track,fb,basketball) He passed for 946 yards in 5 games, caught 50 passes for 894 yards, and rushed for 192 yards.Coach Acklin says this team has more depth than any other team Liberty has had. We only lost 4 seniors to graduation. Jaelon also plays CB and PR/KR(not sure about this year since he's the QB starter) I'm glad to see we added Caruthersville to our schedule to give us some very tough competition and prepare us for a tough SCA schedule. I think this game will be a dandy and maybe even a shootout. Will Caruthersville have a big fan base following them to Mtn. View?

-- Posted by libertyeaglefan on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 11:08 AM

I'm not sure about how many Caruthersville fans will travel to that game. If it were a Saturday, I'd say we would have a ton of people go. Seeing it's a friday game, not everyone can get off work early enough to make the 3.5 hour drive. I myself am making the trip!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 2:04 PM

I still feel Dexter will be down a lot this year. Only returning 4 starters? WOW!! May take some bumps the first few weeks but I see them improving as the season goes on. Good Luck to them, although, not against Caruthersville :)

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 2:48 PM
  • Don't crow too soon, Bleed Green, that's typical Coach Pixley. They could win every game by 100 points and he'd still be preaching to his team about how they need to improve. But he's a great coach and the kids love playing for him.

Also, the article is a little misleading when it says we only have four seniors with varsity experience. We only have seven seniors this year, but they all lettered last season, as well as a number of underclassmen who also lettered. According to my oldest son, the OL, while inexperienced, is really coming together in practice and Coach Pixley has been complimentary.

BTW, BleedGreen, I hope the rest of the Dragons are just as overconfident as you are! That'll play right into our hands!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 2:59 PM

One thing that BG did nail is that Dexter always seems to get better as the season progress. I'm glad that Sikeston always plays them early.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 3:04 PM

I need to clarify that. Most all teams get better over the course of the season but Dexter seems to get noticeably better with the 2010 season being a great example. Coach Pixley does a great job at promoting improvement.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 3:05 PM
  • That is certainly true, Sideline. I will give Bleed Green credit for that and he also right that its a testament to our great coaching staff.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 3:08 PM
  • Not to throw a wet blanket on the party, but I think that Coach Gibbs has done a "fair" job as well. I'm not taking anything away from Coach Pixley, however. I, too, think he does a good job.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 3:23 PM
  • The playoff game between Dexter and Central last year was EPIC. That was one of the most tense playoff games I've ever been at.

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 5:11 PM
  • Too true ZACHATTACK. That game-winning QB bootleg by Central was a great call but to me it seemed to go by in slow motion! A gut-wrenching loss we're hoping to avenge later this season! LOL!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 5:32 PM
  • WHAT?

OH.....you mean this.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4UE4arJyAc

:)

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 5:52 PM

Anybody have a word on just how good Fredericktown will be this year? I've heard talk that they could be a sleeper in Class 3.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 5:55 PM
  • sideline, I have actually heard that too.....

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 5:57 PM
  • Bleed Green...pssssshhhh.... I deleted 100% of the footage. It looked like a SG highlight reel.

Central has some extremely talented players and I must stand behind them and their coaching staff. I am pretty excited about this season and I know that they are gonna do everything they can to try to feed SG a big fat, delicious "L" sandwich.

-- Posted by zachattack on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 6:27 PM
  • Ftown should be good enough to beat Kennett. I don't know that they even have a starting QB at this point.

-- Posted by X-Man on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 6:58 PM
  • Who does Dexter Play again?

-- Posted by Tigers2638 on Tue, Aug 21, 2012, at 9:56 PM
  • Sorry, Bleed Green, just thought, with the amount of respect you seem to have for the man, you might want to spell his name correctly. Thought I was doing you a favor by helping you out...evidently you saw otherwise.

-- Posted by kools&oe on Wed, Aug 22, 2012, at 7:45 AM
  • Tigers2638, Dexter plays at Ste. Genevieve on Friday night at 7 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Aug 22, 2012, at 11:58 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: