Semoball

High School Football Forum: Sikeston Football Contact Camp this Thursday and Friday

Posted by Headhunt on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 8:13 AM:

I am hearing there will be 8 teams, 425 athletes.

It's gonna be warm, and there will most likely be lots of breaks, but it is always great to scout some early football.

Nothing like a little Football......

Replies (23)

Would you happen to know any of the teams going to participate in this?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 8:38 AM
  • Sikeston.

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 12:07 PM
  • But in all seriousness I know that Sikeston Perryville Farmington I believe for sure then going off past years I know East Prarie Charleston Grandview have been down there so I would think they are involved. Cape Central maybe there as well

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 12:09 PM
  • Caruthersville will be there.

-- Posted by Matt Duckworth on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 12:23 PM
  • Dexter was there last year,not sure about this year

-- Posted by X-coach on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 12:31 PM
  • Cape Central is there

-- Posted by crackerjack on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 12:38 PM
  • What has impressed me in the last few years, is the initial look , and the presence of size, versus no size.....When Sikeston came out in 2009 and 2010, they were big and very fast. Cape Central was very big in 2010 and last season as well..Bluff was huge in 2009..Caruthersville , size and speed on top of speed....2009, 2010, and 2011..Jackson looked much better in 2011 versus 2009 or 2010...Charleston, moving in the right direction in a hurry ....

I know....a LONG time till late August....but a good first glimpse at returners, speed, and especially QB Skills......

I smell pigskin.....

-- Posted by Headhunt on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 1:20 PM
  • the 7 teams participating are sikeston, cape central, perryville, dexter, charleston, caruthersville, and east prairie. games are at 4, 5, and 6 thur and fri

-- Posted by myershallred on Mon, Jun 18, 2012, at 1:47 PM
  • Hmm...no Jackson??

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 8:11 AM

Normally, they've put the big schools against each other and the small schools against each other but I'd really like to see Sikeston and Caruthersville have a scrimmage.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 8:23 AM

I'd like to see Caruthersville line up against the bigger schools as well Sideline. Although Caruthersville is a smaller school, they are on par with the bigger schools in Semo as far as play on the field.

This year at the Contact Camp, Cville will probably throw the ball a little more to see where they are in that aspect of their game. We are great at running back so we know where we are in that area. That's why I love this event, it helps you know what you need to work on a little more at camp and at practice. I'm going one of the days, just not sure which yet.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 9:32 AM

Headhunt,

I was talking to someone just the other day about if Jackson was going to be down in Sikeston. I remember he said they wouldn't, there going up North to one of the schools in STL, but I can't remember where he said.

-- Posted by gregbrown80 on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 10:18 AM
  • Heard that as well.....I guess they want to get hit up north, versus getting hit down here.....

I thought getting reps , meant getting reps...

Maybe Jackson wants to unleash a secret squirrel offense that they want no local teams to see??

Oh heck....I couldn't resist.....I spent so many years watching Jackson kick Sikeston butt.....I had to jabb em a little....haha

Glad my Bulldog got the W his Jr and Sr years....

-- Posted by Headhunt on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 11:18 AM
  • Sikeston and Caruthersville will scrimmage Friday, June 24, 6 pm. The information I saw says the scrimmage will be on the game field north.

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Jun 19, 2012, at 4:06 PM
  • Sikeston's defense looked pretty good today. The offense had their way with Perryville and Dexter, but not as successful against Cape Central. Any commentary from some of the other spectators?

-- Posted by Jason Porter on Thu, Jun 21, 2012, at 11:10 PM

Sorry don't have info about Sikeston but I can give some insight on Caruthersville.

They handled East Prairie and Charleston with ease. Caruthersville and Cape Central played pretty even with each other. Cville's passing game has improved from last year and the running game is still stout as usual. Overall, I think Cville had a good first day. Was informed that the coach for Cville and a few players won't be participating today so the other guys can get some reps against other teams so they can see what they have as far as depth goes. By the time the season comes around, this Cville will be tough to handle for sure.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 8:02 AM

I will say though, all teams involved will be a lot better when the season starts. Hard to gauge where a team is based just off this camp. They have had a handful of practices and are playing people to see what the depth chart will look like. I'm sure Sikeston will be much better come week one. I think the Sikeston/Cape game this year will be a very good game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 8:39 AM
  • One word for Dexter---young.Three returning offensive players from last years team and none of them played.I thought the bearcats played Cape Central tough.A dropped touchdown pass or two and we're in the game.Defense played well at times.we looked pretty solid against Perryville on both sides of the ball.Sikeston totally dominated from the first snap.All in all not to bad. Go Bearcats

-- Posted by X-coach on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 9:07 AM
  • Was a good day for many of the participating teams.

CVille looked good, -fast-athletic

Cape- BIG. Line play for Cape was dominant I thought on some series. There were some holes on some sets, but as others have mentioned, all teams will improve as the summer becomes fall. Dexter did look younger, but so did lots of teams...( maybe I am getting older)?

Sikeston has backs and more backs....as it is always, and not only with the Bulldogs but with LOTS of teams that run "stretch" type offenses, QB play is imperative. Reaction time, read, and making good decisions based on the reads, are the difference between a big play, or a busted play.

The weather was forgiving.....it could have been LOTS hotter....

Look forward to seeing more today

-- Posted by Headhunt on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 9:17 AM

Who is taking the early snaps for Sikeston?

How do the lineman look this early?

I know we are having to replace some talented lineman over the last two seasons and feel if we can mold a "STRONG" sold offensive line we will be a very skilled offense. "ONE TO WATCH"

I think this will be a much better D this season if the line comes to play hard off the ball each snap.(LINE PLAY IS THE KEY) Linebackers and D-Backs are all above average!

Could be fun to watch!!!

-- Posted by Haterade on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 5:03 PM
  • Caruthersville was the team to beat at the camp. They beat Dexter, Charleston, and SIKESTON today. Today's win against Sikeston was the biggest though. The first few plays for C'ville were a little bit shaky, but everything changed when C'ville's Jay Stricklin blocked a Sikeston defender ALL THE WAY to the running track and pancaked him. I thought I was watching Michael Oher in the Blind Side for a second!! Darrell Monroe was a beast like usual. C'villes passing game will gradually get better. These next two seasons for C'ville will be VERY special.

-- Posted by Tigersfan on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 10:30 PM

I agree! Caruthersville has a lot to look forward to the next couple years with the team being fairly young again. However, it was just a contact camp and all teams haven't had the number of reps needed to really see how good they can/can't be. I think Caruthersville was the more impressive team at the camp though. They still have work to do this summer in the weight room and need to keep improving. This team could make it far again if they put in the work necessary to make it that far. These kids want to win, they want to keep getting better, that is what makes them compete well year in and year out.

Sikeston and Cape will improve a lot by the time the season kicks off. Sikeston always has the athletes to be a top team in Semo on a yearly basis. I look for them to have a great year again. Cape will be a tough out for anyone this year. I Dexter will take a HUGE step back compared to what they are accustomed to. They lost a lot from last year, esp their QB. Charleston and East Prairie will be about where they normally are. As a whole, Semo will be down but I think everyone will compete well with each other (within Semo), other than maybe Caruthersville, Sikeston, Cape Central, who will be most Semo teams pretty handily. Season can't come soon enough

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 10:52 PM
  • Well said!

-- Posted by Tigersfan on Fri, Jun 22, 2012, at 11:49 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: