Semoball

High School Football Forum: Oct. 9 Football

Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 12:08 PM:

I am planning on checking out an exciting football game somewhere tonight. I am considering heading to New Madrid to watch New Madrid and Park Hills Central. Central is currently ranked 3rd in 5A. We seldom have the opportunity to watch a team ranked this high in 5A. However, I am still debating. What is the game to see this Friday night. I do not have a complete list of games. Here are a few, however. I hope I didn't post this too late to get some feedback. Let's get some debates going about all of the games scheduled for tonight.

Park Hills Central at NMCC

Chaffee at Malden

Caruthersville at Dexter

Kennett at Sikeston

Scott City at Hayti

East Prairie at Portageville

Poplar Bluff at Jackson

Charleston at Fredricktown

Perryville at Herculaneum

Cape Central at Seckman

Saturday

Westminster Christian Academy at St. Genevieve

Replies (41)

• I'll play! I think NMCC is overrated and was exposed a bit by Sikeston last week. Park Hills, on the other hand, is underrated and has a solid Massey Rating. I predict Park Hills surprises the locals. To me, the only other interesting match-ups are C'ville vs Dexter and Poplar Bluff vs Jackson. In my opinion, Dexter has been overrated for two years now (if it's possible to over rate a team that only wins 3 or 4 games a year). Dexter's passing game has been praised far too much over the past few years. Dexter is generally capable of beating the local class 2 schools, but when they encounter a group of athletes, the games tend to get ugly. I believe C'ville has the athletes and once more, Dexter will be victimized in a multi-interception contest. The Class 2 team gets the win in a mild upset. I like the Poplar Bluff contest simply because it will give us a little more insight into whether: a) Poplar Bluff is as good as they seem. and b) whether or not Jackson's good showing against Farmington last week was a fluke.

-- Posted by pigdog on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 12:53 PM
  • pigdog

What about Sikeston and Kennett? After reading your report, if I was searching for a close game I think I would attend the Dexter/Caruthersville game. However, I really want to watch Park Hills. I thought about watching the first half of the Park Hills/New Madrid game and then driving to Sikeston to watch the second half of the Sikeston/Kennett game if it is close at halftime.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 1:27 PM
  • Kennet lost to East Prairie. Fredericktown beat East Praire 40-3. Sikeston beat Fredericktown 42-20 despite playing no starters for the entire fourth quarter and committing 6 turnovers. Last year, Sikeston beat Kennett by forty. This year, Sikeston is better than last year and Kennett is weaker than last year. Sikeston could probably win by a score of somewhere around 89-0, but Coach Gibbs won't run up the score. Sikeston has a few players banged up and a few ill and they will sit out this game. Nevertheless, I expect the mercy clock to run in the second half and the fans will be glad to get in out of the rain. Barring multiple ankle sprains suffered as Sikeston's players jog onto the field before kickoff, I'll predict Sikeston wins it 48-0.

-- Posted by pigdog on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 1:36 PM
  • Well then maybe I'll drive south to Portageville and watch the second half of Portageville and East Prairie. I might even drive west and watch the second half of Malden and Chaffee.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 1:48 PM
  • I believe the P-ville game or the dexter game will be the two to watch.

-- Posted by buck on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 2:04 PM
  • Budget and time restraints will prevent me from driving to Herculaneum. But I will keep a close eye on the game. Someone please post information about the Perryville/Herculaneum game online tonight.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 2:13 PM
  • Well Park Hills Central is a 3A team not a 5A team and they aren't ranked. Anyway I don't know where you get New Madrid is overrated because:

#1 Our starting QB hasn't played this year, which

#2 Puts our #1 RB out of position and must play the vacant QB spot

#3 We will still win our district, and host a couple of playoff games.

When your team can do that year in and year out, please come back on here and make an educated comment. Until then, talk all you want to about overrated, but at the end we will see who is hosting playoff games and who is at home once again licking their wounds.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:10 PM
  • Who is the Park Hill team that is ranked in the state rankings? I was unaware there was more than one Park Hill team in the state of Missouri.

See state rankings.

http://semoball.com/story/1576766.html

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:24 PM
  • I just discovered there are several Park Hill teams in Missouri. Now I want more information about Park Hills Central. Does anybody have their record?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:29 PM
  • MayorEagle,

...scoreboard

-- Posted by pigdog on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:41 PM
  • I just received the results of Park Hills Central for the entire season. Wow this is definitely the game I am attending tonight. Here are the scores of all Park Hills Central games for this season.

Park Hills Central defeated Mapplewood 22-8

Park Hills Central defeated St. Vincent 27-20

Park Hills Central defeated Windsor 42-6

Park Hills Central defeated 29-6

Sullivan defeated Park Hills Central 25-15

Park Hills Central defeated Herculaneum 20-0

There is not a better place to be this Friday night. I am off to the Freeze Queen to enjoy a tasty dinner before the game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:42 PM
  • The 29-6 game was the Perryville game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 4:43 PM
  • Yeah that ...scoreboard ought to get you a long way in the playoffs..Let's finish this conversation in let's say about 4 weeks..How bout ya now mouth?

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 5:28 PM
  • I am in nmcc ready for a classic tonight. Two quick observations. The drainage system on this field is one of the best I have seen on a high school field. With this being said puddles are all over the field. Just way too much rain last night I guess. Observation number two. It is really lonely out here. Where are all the fans? It's not raining that hard. Come and join me people. I am in the Park Hill section with my back against the wind.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 6:26 PM
  • The Perryville-Herculaneum game has been moved to tommorow night at Crystal City. Blog here in case you missed it: http://semoball.com/blogs/1429/entry/30605/

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 6:45 PM
  • Fumble in the endzone by Park Hills recovered by Park Hills. Two point conversion is good . 8-0 Park Hill with 9:18 left in 1st.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 7:06 PM
  • Touchdown NMCC with 10:59 remaining in 2nd. Two point conversion good. Tie game 8-8.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 7:30 PM
  • 84 yard touchdown run by NMCC at 6:48 mark in 2nd. Two point conversion good. 16-8 NMCC.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 7:41 PM
  • Touchdown Park Hills with 0:25 left in the 2nd. Two point conversion good. Tie game 16-16. My hands are so cold I can barely feel my phone.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 7:56 PM
  • Park Hills attempts onside kick to start 3rd and recovers ball.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 8:23 PM
  • Park Hills attempts onside kick to start 3rd and recovers ball.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 8:24 PM
  • Touchdown Park Hills. Two point conversion good. 24-16 Park Hills with 4:15 remaining in 3rd.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 8:39 PM
  • Touchdown Park Hills at 1:52 mark in 3rd . Two point conversion no good. 30-16 Park Hills.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 8:49 PM
  • Touchdown NMCC with 0:25 left in 3rd. Holding penalty takes two point conversion off scoreboard 30-22 Park Hills.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 8:55 PM
  • NMCC has the ball back with 10:49 remaining they need a 40 yard drive and a two point conversion to tie.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 9:02 PM
  • Touchdown NMCC. Two point conversion no good. 30-28 Park Hills with 9:33 remaining.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 9:06 PM
  • Touchdown Park Hills with 6:43 left. Two point conversion good. 38-28 Park Hills.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 9:16 PM
  • Park Hills defeats NMCC 38-28. I'm headed somewhere warmer.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 9:31 PM
  • Some interesting results this week. I was impressed with Dexter beating an athletic C'ville team - even though they are a class 2 school. Sikeston struggled early with Kennett before blowing open the second half - scoring 32 points and winning 39-0. Sikeston was playing without starting tailback, Eli Jackson; starting fullback, Jarian Wims; Starting guard Bryan Armstrong; starting guard Ben Burton and starting defensive end Odell Thompson (out for season). Park Hills picked up an impressive win at NMCC. As I stated earlier, in my opinion, NMCC is a bit overrated. They have two OUTSTANDING players in Ealy and Stevenson, but as a whole, I just don't think their TEAM is terribly impressive. Will they win their district? Judging from the extremely weak district they play in, it would be an absolute stunner if they don't. The Poplar Bluff vs Jackson game was a little closer than I thought it would be. Is PB not quite as strong as previously thought, or did the elements and playing at Jackson play a role in the final score? Also, I heard some player from either Jackson or P.B. suffered a concussion. Any details? Certainly hope it is not serious.

Here are my district predictions:

Class 2 district 1

Champ - East Prairie

Runner up - C'ville

Class 3 district 1

Champ - NMCC

runner up - the other teams are really weak. I won't even comment.

Class 4 district 1

Champ - Poplar Bluff

Runner up - Sikeston

I'd love to hear any colorful comments you may have.

-- Posted by pigdog on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 10:53 PM
  • MayorEagle,

Will the score from the NMCC vs Sikeston game change in four weeks?

-- Posted by pigdog on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 10:57 PM
  • Pigdog

As you probably already know, I am not an expert when it comes to high school football. However, I find your prediction in Class 4 District 1 extremely interesting. I have not seen Poplar Bluff play. Therefore, I can't say they won't win it. But I was very impressed with Sikeston. I think NMCC will win their district. What about Hayti in 1A? Who is their competition? St. Vincent?

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 10:58 PM
  • Dear MayorEagle and pigdog,

I have found your banter in this thread amusing, but let's do stop while it's still been fun.

Sincerely,

Let's-all-just-get-along

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 11:12 PM
  • LOL wait till basketball season starts.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 11:24 PM
  • drawmules,

I don't know a thing about Class 1, so I won't even try to predict it. I think PB beats Sikeston for a few reasons: 1) They definitely have the talent to win. 2) The game is at Poplar Bluff. 3) The manner in which Sikeston beat Poplar Bluff last year must have given PB fits the entire off season. I believe they will be a very motivated team when they take the field against Sikeston. 4) PB will be the first team Sikeston will fact that has multiple weapons on offense.

Rachel, I will indeed refrain from any further exchanges with MayorEagle. I certainly hope all was taken in the sense of harmless humor with which it was intended. If the truth were known, I sincerely hope NMCC wins it all.

-- Posted by pigdog on Fri, Oct 9, 2009, at 11:57 PM
  • Sounds like tonight was a game that turnovers, injury and weather played a part in. Wow, Jackson turned it over 6 times? That had to make a difference. Sikeston was slow to start. But had no one in their starting backfield playing. Also had a couple of two way players out.

Bluff seems to not have suffered any loss to injury or illness. Lucky Bluff.

The real stuff starts on Friday ....I hope everyone heals , and gets back in it. Now is the time to see what individuals that make up a team , are made of. Good luck to all .

-- Posted by Headhunt on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 12:42 AM
  • She is new and hasn't read basketball threads yet. Heck if you can't have fun on here, take me off!! I can go on mosports and have just much as fun anyway..LOL

Unfortunately I agree about our district. It is sad to say, but unfortunately true. I actually expected to win the district, the first round of the playoffs and just have to hope after that. That has been my prediction all year anyway. The only (2) problems I didn't expect New Madrid to encounter this year was/is Sikeston and Park Hills. I really hope Sikeston wins the district. I now also hope Potosi wins district 2, and Park Hills get 2nd. That will give us a chance to play both of them again. We historically are a much better second half team, but I just don't know this year. The kids just have no respect for themselves or the game. There is no way I would let a team go to the middle of the field and stomp on my mascot. I am sorry, but that just isn't me.

As far as your comment about the score changing: I won't change the score in 4 weeks if you won't start remembering how Sikeston has OWNED us the last few years..LOL, just joking.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 6:04 AM
  • Its a toss up in the 4a district with sike,farm,pb,wp.I know earlier I picked sike to be champ and pb to advance,but it will be difficult to beat pb there and farm works up a scheme to win,I dont know anything about wp,just that they were below .500 and put up 50 points last year.I like the poplar bluff tylers!

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 6:30 AM
  • Then I can see farm making plays to stun sike.I just can't wait,it may be sike,then again,don't forget the darkhorse-wp.Will sike end there season 7-3?

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 6:34 AM
  • Then I can see farm making plays to stun sike.I just can't wait,it may be sike,then again,don't forget the darkhorse-wp.Will sike end there season 7-3?

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 6:34 AM
  • I would really like to see the Farmington/Poplar Bluff game. But it's a long drive. I will definitely check out the Sikeston/Poplar Bluff game if it has meaning. I can't wait until bracket play begins.

I think 3A will be very exciting. St. Genevieve is very talented. I watched them play earlier this season. I was also impressed by Park Hills. Fredricktown is also decent. The district with Fredricktown, Potosi, St. Gen, and Park Hills is loaded. When two of these teams advance to bracket play things could get really exciting.

In 4A I would like to learn more about DeSoto, Festus, North County, and Windsor. How will Sikeston handle these teams if they play them in bracket play?

-- Posted by drawmules on Sat, Oct 10, 2009, at 12:42 PM
  • Well it is hard for me to bring myself to say it, but the District 2 winner will be the team to beat.

District 1 - New Madrid (I agree with everyone about the district. There are only 4 teams in Southeast Missouri that couldn't be district #1 winner in: Malden and Caruthersville. The 2 teams Dexter beat; Portageville and Charleston, the 2 teams Kennett beat. Kennett also beat Malden.) The only difference between the 2 teams is Dexter beat Caruthersville, and Kennett lost to them. I only wander if Dexter could have beaten them on a dry field.

As much as everyone may not agree, I think one of the best games of the season will be the last week when Dexter plays Kennett. It should be for the #2 seed and a playoff bid.

District #2 - Potosi win this, and I actually think Park Hills Central takes #2. I saw St. Gen play early in the year and they didn't impress me very much at all. I don't think they can handle the pressure Park Hills will put on them.

Playoff - Dexter will travel to Potosi. (I think we can all agree on the outcome.)

Park Hills Central will travel to New Madrid. I think this game may have a different outcome if the field is dry. I do think they are a good team, just think the game will be a little closer on a dry field. (We may also have out QB back by then.)

Round 2 - Potosi will travel to New Madrid or Park Hills. Either way I think enough said about that.

Round 3 - Potosi will host or travel to Cardinal Ritter. This will be a very exciting game. DON'T MISS IT!!!!

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Sun, Oct 11, 2009, at 6:08 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: