Semoball

High School Football Forum: Heard today the Kennett Fball Coach resigned.

Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 8:49 PM:

Is this true? I thought they was looking to have a good year this coming up year. Hope they find a good replacement. They deserve to have a coach that is going to stick around. I think Kennett pretty much dominates most teams in all sports but football. Maybe a coach who is willing to stay and work with these kids can turn it around. Good Luck Kennett!

Replies (24)

• David Gilmore left Hayti to go to Kennett as an administrator. He was the coach at Hayti. Maybe he is going to do both.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 9:00 PM

He is a great coach but he don't stick around to long either. Been back and forth from Cville to Hayti over the past few years. He will make them a better team that is for sure!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Mar 11, 2011, at 9:05 PM
  • Kennett has been down for awhile in football. Lots of real good players just never a real good team. They don't have any problem beating the small school's most of the time but when it comes time to count they just don't have the answer.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Sat, Mar 12, 2011, at 7:36 AM
  • Kennett has not had a legit football team since 1987, that just does not make since. We have the talent every so many years but it never plays out on the football field.

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:42 AM
  • It's just not a football school. Check the size of the kids. They may be a little fast, but that does you nothing when the line is too small to give that speed some room to run. Currently not sure who will take over as coach. Gilmore doesn't look to be it IMO. Too much to do starting as administrator. On the upside though, they have girls bball, baseball, golf, and track going for them.

-- Posted by Tell 'em on Mon, Mar 14, 2011, at 10:55 PM
  • The deal at Kennet is the coaches are just good enough to be bad (think about it) and the kids just don't have the physical toughness and mental displine it takes to be good in football. The parents spoil their kids just enough that they don't demand it out of their kids or they are not involved at all. Much easier to blame the coaches. With saying that, do they have the talent to win if things could change? I think so. But they will have to do it out of hard work, not by merely lining up 11 athletes on the field like some other schools can do. My opinion and $1.00 will get you a soda. Where is the Kennett Coach going by the way?

-- Posted by Mr. E on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 9:20 AM
  • wow lots of experts on football, parenting, etc. I never knew it was so simple to build a dynasty where have you guys been all these years? help us please.

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 10:26 PM
  • When is the last time Kennett won a district football game? Not a game District title, A game. When was the last time they won two district games in one season? You can't blame it on one person or thing. it has been a combination of all. The stands have been full for every home game for the last six or seven years. The support has been there from the community. With that said I still don't have a answer, you can't be that bad this long. And yes it has been that bad. I can remember sitting in the stands a few years back wanting a first year coach to kick a field goal with .10 left so we could tie a district game. He didn't , we lost, help.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Tue, Mar 15, 2011, at 11:40 PM

Caruthersville was in the same position as Kennett is now in the early 2000's. They made the right coaching change and it turned everything around for them. Sure you will still have your ups and downs but they really built a great program. Kennett can do the same thing if they find the right person. They have the athletes and the talent to put a good squad out there. I think one problem is that the football program has been down for so long, no one really wants to play and look bad. With the talent Kennett has at that school there is no way they can't win 5-6 games a year or even more. Wish the student body was into football like they are baseball and basketball bc if they was they would be a force. Anyway, good luck over there in kennett. Hopefully things will turn around for you guys soon.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Mar 16, 2011, at 12:01 AM
  • Well put Cheesehead. You are exactly right.

-- Posted by Mr. E on Wed, Mar 16, 2011, at 7:48 AM
  • So its been a coaching problem? Jones, Welch Redlinger all came holding a good resume.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Wed, Mar 16, 2011, at 9:43 AM

Never said it was just a coaching problem. Its a mixture of everything. It starts with the coaching though. Its kind of hard to get the kids to buy in to a system if they change coaches all the time. Why would a kid want to play football if the coaches don't even stick around very long? They need someone who is going to stick around and someone who is going try and change these kids mentality about the program. The reason I say this is that I have seen this first hand, at least at Caruthersville. I went to school at Caruthersville when the football team was 0-10. All my classmates were saying they are not going to play and look bad. When they made the right coaching change, everything seemed to turn around. He went around talking to all the kids about playing football and got everyone to trust in him that things was going to change. They did! All kids started to come out for the team and the rest is history. Cville have put a good team out there almost every year since. I am in no way trying to compare the two schools but just trying to say, it starts with the head coach. They really need someone to trust, someone who won't just stick around for a year and leave.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Mar 16, 2011, at 11:44 AM
  • I have watched a lot of good HS football over the years. Mostly in C'ville or New Madrid. I've been told that Kennett's problem lies in its system. In middle school they always win a lot then they get to high school and there is a different system. They are then in the first year of learning a new system while other schools are in the fourth year of a single system. It makes sense that a coach would want his own system in place and not a jr. high system but to me it would make sense if they would get one program for them all the way through and if a coach leaves, get a coach to continue on with what is in place. It would also make it easier to promote from within.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Tue, Mar 29, 2011, at 5:41 AM

Not sure any self-respecting coach would run a "system" that is dictated to him by those that hire him. Not sure what the point in having a coach would be. Just let the people that choose the system call the plays, if it's that simple.

-- Posted by Rufus R. Jones on Tue, Mar 29, 2011, at 9:56 AM
  • True. I just can't think of a way to right a ship like Kennett's. If a new coach were to come in and for some reason stay, it would take seven years to fully realize his system. That is, if they went to his system all the way down to middle school or little league.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Tue, Mar 29, 2011, at 10:45 AM
  • I am been told Kennett has a new head coach. Don't know name. Said he was an assistant at Scott City last year?

-- Posted by mule1993 on Thu, May 12, 2011, at 11:45 AM
  • Anybody...anybody?

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Thu, May 12, 2011, at 11:02 PM

Former Coach at East Prairie and Scott City....

Cory Adkinsson

-- Posted by Haterade on Thu, May 12, 2011, at 11:34 PM
  • Thanks Hoops. Anybody got the goods on this guy. Tell me about him.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 5:08 AM
  • Cory is a great guy. He was an outstanding football player himself and was well thought of at his previous stops. IIRC, he got out of coaching and went into administration, but I'm not completely sure. He will do a good job at Kennett.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 5:59 AM
  • Let's hope he does a good job. Bad thing is that if he don't win after 2 years. The Kennett boys will turn against him and the Kennett Supt. will find a reason to get rid of him. They are always a great coach until they come to Kennett then reality sets in. Just ask the previous coaches.

-- Posted by Mr. E on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 8:46 AM
  • They have not all been great coaches they just thought they were. When they got to Kennett and seen all the work that needed to be done they either failed or give up from a lack of support. I am just glad to get to talk some football.I known its early but still can't wait.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Fri, May 13, 2011, at 11:34 AM
  • The former Kennett coach will be beginning the football program at Kelly HS in rural Benton. Two years of JV in '12 and '13 and will begin varsity play in '14.

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Aug 30, 2011, at 11:39 AM
  • Are you referiing to coach Redlinger.

-- Posted by mule1993 on Tue, Aug 30, 2011, at 1:03 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: