Semoball

High School Football Forum: ITS TIME TO TALK ABOUT NMCC!!!

Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 8:38 AM:

The Eagles are now 1-4 on the year and so far their only win has been against Charleston very decisively. What is the problem? How is this team different from the past 3 State Quarterfinalist teams? How far will they advance in the playoffs this year?? HELP!!!

Replies (32)

• I haven't been able to see NMCC yet this year, but judging from last season and considering all they lost to graduation, it would seem to me that G'Darius is truly a one man show. It really isn't too difficult for a defense to try and stop a single threat, particularly if the line play is poor, which I assume is the case for NMCC. Do you have any thoughts about the line play?

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 9:04 AM

To me it seems as though the line is scared to get down and dirty. They dont really block and when they dont block that's when the defense gets in the backfield after the quarterback. G'Darius is basically NMCC football and without him who knows what would happen. Any thoughts on their playoff hopes this year?

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 9:35 AM
  • Right now, I would predict Dexter and Fredericktown would be the representatives from that district. Kennett has really surprised a lot of people with their unimpressive showing thus far. Fredericktown seems to be the class of the district. I wouldn't completely rule out an NMCC upset of Dexter, but it seems a bit of a stretch right now.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 9:47 AM
  • Well i look at it as NMCC is going to be at the right spot when its time to come. Its very hard to count a NMCC team out when you are working with a few new people that have never played the game and i see the team getting better each and every week so i think they are going to be right where they need to be.

-- Posted by MrFaithful on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 10:17 AM

So if they do happen to make it out of districts this year, how far will they advance after that?

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 8:17 PM
  • Who is the other player that gets quite a few touches for NMCC? I think he was #1 when they played Cape. It seems like he can contribute, he hit the holes hard and had good speed.

-- Posted by BB-BORE on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 8:35 PM

That was Jamareia Jones who is a senior this year.

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 8:47 PM

I think right now they need to just focus on getting out of districts. There's still plenty of time in the year and New Madrid always seems like a team that starts off slow and then gets going. Will that happen this year? who knows. I guess time will tell. Good luck to them along the way and good luck against Caruthersville this week!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 8:52 PM
  • NMCC has nothing wrong this year other than the fact that like every team, talent levels run in cycles and their experiencing that problem now. Same coaching staff that has been winning, but is now struggling to find wins. NMCC always plays up in schedule at the beginning of the year and it usually gets them battle ready for District time. ALL teams go through down cycles in talent, no teams in our area escape that fact. Not excuses, just a reason. Ask Jackson, or Cape, or Sikeston, or Dexter, or C'Ville or anybody for that matter. Down years happen to everyone. NMCC will be back you can bank on that.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Sep 22, 2010, at 9:21 PM
  • Well it has always worked out for us. We play a tough schedule early on, and it pays off later in the year. One big advantage we have is we play very good teams early on. I would much rather be beaten by Cape, Bluff and Farmington than some of the schools I have seen beating other district teams. Your schedule means a lot!!! These weak schedules get you nowhere, especially when you are getting beat by them. Watch and see. This tough scheduling will pay off again. DON'T EVER COUNT NEW MADRID OUT!!!

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Thu, Sep 23, 2010, at 6:02 AM
  • NMCC is just down this year........

-- Posted by DonaldTrump on Thu, Sep 23, 2010, at 8:42 AM
  • There is nothing wrong with NMCC. They are going through a down cycle like all high school teams go through. NMCC was 1-9 in '91, 2-8 in '02, 1-9 in '04. They bounced back before. They will do it again. It happens to everybody.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Sep 23, 2010, at 9:35 AM
  • It is unfortante to hear, but about 3-5 years ago their eighth and ninth grade teams were unbeaten for a few years if i remember correctly(which doesnt mean a lot in highschool) but most of them are in highschool right now, it just shows how much changes in a few years.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Thu, Sep 23, 2010, at 10:14 AM

Actually inspectorgadget the main teams that were undefeated were the 09 and 10 graduating class and G'darius's 2010 senior class.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Sep 23, 2010, at 7:34 PM
  • What do undefeated teams at a JH level mean? I don't know what their schedule is, but I bet they aren't/weren't playing the Bluff's, Potosi's, etc. at that age or were they? BuckMajor and EagleMayor, are you two silly duck's brother's or something??!!

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 8:56 AM

I don't even know who he is. Im major hes mayor. And there JH does play bluff.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 12:41 PM
  • You might need to check that schedule out, it says here on PB's website that the Mule's JH team did not play New Madrid this year. You sure you don't know who he is? It could be a she, couldn't it?

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 1:11 PM

I ment they played bluff when those teams were undefeated. I have no idea who they play now. I do know they beat sikeston last week :). I don't know who he, she, or it is.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 1:26 PM
  • I remember Sikeston playing NMCC when Kony was in the eighth grade. My son played for Sikeston and graduated last year. They lost to NMCC every time they played until last season.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 1:29 PM
  • I remember that game. Juqualin Wiggins broke his hand or wrist that game and missed most of the rest of the season. The next year when those guys were freshmen, they didn't play because NMCC doesn't have a freshman team. Plus Kony was down at Portageville starting varsity on both the football and the basketball teams.

I know NMCC's 8th grade had an undefeated run but they didn't play Bluff and Jackson and Cape. Only Sikeston.

NMCC's 7th grade team has never defeated Sikeston's 7th graders. I think Sikeston is 4-0 since they started the program.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 1:38 PM
  • Buckmajor, is that right? Did NMCC not play PB, Jackson and Cape in JH? I think Cape has been playing them for quite a while now.

-- Posted by Hemingway on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 1:52 PM

Your right Hemingway NMCC played cape in JH. They've have been playing them for awhile.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • Thanks for telling me which class it was buck, i was just curious because i know they beat us pretty bad when we played, i know it doesnt mean anything now but i was just curious

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 4:01 PM

No problem. And yes I agree it means nothing now. I know in NMCC's case most of those students that were undefeated in 8th grade never stepped foot on the field in high school.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 4:08 PM
  • BuckMajor,

Why didn't they step on the field? Did they quit, or did they simply not make 1st string later on? One of the main reasons for Sikeston's success recently has been so few kids quitting. Last year's senior class, though they lost to Bluff, NMCC and Jackson during the junior high and freshman campaigns, beat all of those teams as seniors. Interestingly, essentially all of the kids who played in junior high never quit. Having experienced seniors who play throughout school really pays dividends later.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 4:13 PM

Football monkey, they all quit. Numerous kids would have made the team they just all quit. Normally in the O and D line positions and defensive But over the past several years there's been a horrible transition of 8th graders going on to play in high school. Espicially with those undefeated teams, but as I stated most of those classes are gone, and I think more 8th graders are starting to play when they get to high school. Although this years 8th grade team only has like 19 members. They lost to Jackson this week.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 4:41 PM
  • Yes, that is what made last year's senior class at Sikeston different than in previous years. There were a few that quit but for the most part, the main core of them of stuck around. One of them transferred to NMCC (Deadrean Grissom). A good kid and a good player. Hated to lose him. I wonder if he wished he was a part of that great team last year with his old classmates? His younger brother is now one of their better basketball players at NMCC.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 4:44 PM
  • Its a shame, why do you think this is? Maybe not having a ninth grade team some kids wouldnt want to practice for not a lot of pt IMO, its unfortante pixleys a great guy

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 5:00 PM

They have a 9th grade team when they can. They played 9th grade games this year. I really think it's a mix of lazyness and as I said it's a lot of positions that don't get to handle the ball that quit. They can't all be G'darius's and I think sometimes they don't understand how vital there line position can be.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Sep 24, 2010, at 10:04 PM

I guess this is one of them years for NMCC, specially losing to Caruthersville 41-14 on their homecoming. Im scared for them nxt week wen they play sikeston.

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Sat, Sep 25, 2010, at 12:38 PM
  • Well actually the current 10th, 11th and 12th graders were all undefeated in Jr. High. As also mentioned before alot of those kids didn't stick it out, and it was Jr. High, not high school, big difference. One thing that doesn't change from Jr. High to High School is the schedule. Our current 8th grade schedule is Cape, Jackson, Sikeston, Charleston, Kennett and Dexter. We don't play Bluff, nor to my knowledge have we ever played Bluff in Jr. High. Speaking of transfers, we have had a few ourselves:

The Maltbia kid (which started for Sikeston as a sophomore)

Strickland kid (which started for Sikeston for 3 years)

And if I am not mistaken it was years when we beat Sikeston. Bet those kids would have like to rode with us to consecutive Quarter Final games as well.

-- Posted by MayorEagle on Sat, Sep 25, 2010, at 1:44 PM
  • But you could also say bet grissom would have liked to ride with us to the SEMI-FINALS, can't blame the kids for their parents movements.

-- Posted by Dustin Ruby on Sun, Sep 26, 2010, at 4:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: