Semoball

High School Football Forum: Coach of the Year

Posted by haytiroyalty on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 7:32 AM:

How a coach gonna go 15-0 and win a schools first ever state football title and NOT win coach of the year? Scott City's coach shouldn't have even accepted the award. Completely embarrassing and disgusting!! Someone please explain all this to us Hayti fans so we can understand

Replies (46)

• I'm shocked it went to Scott City's coach.. however it shouldn't have gone to any Class 1 coach as weak as that Class was this year

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 8:22 AM
  • based upon that statement fauxeinstein, you had to be one of the voters lol

-- Posted by haytiroyalty on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 8:59 AM

It should have went to they Hayti coach. Heck it should have went to the Charleston coach before Scott City.

-- Posted by mz259 on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 9:04 AM
  • Don't knock the Scott City coach. He did a great job this year. The blame should be on the coaches who voted. Haters gonna hate.........

-- Posted by indianchief on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 9:41 AM

Voted on by the coaches is my guess, seemed like a no brainer tho.

If you want to read some salty tweets about the situation go check out Coach Rob’s Twitter exchanges with Coach Trey Porter.

Porter is as baffled with this situation as he was watching Jefferson pile up points on his Roosevelt squad.

Rings are the only thing that matters. Learned that back in ‘89

-- Posted by Coach Gaines on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 1:35 PM

You do realize that the reigning coaches of the year's in the 3 major sports didn't win a championship right? Sean McVay for the Rams, Dwanye Casey for the Raptors, and Brian Snitker for the Braves??

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 1:53 PM

Not trying to say the choices were right or wrong, just bringing some perspective to the table

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 2:00 PM
  • i cant believe Coach Jim May even accepted it, knowing the whole time he was giving his acceptance speech EVERYONE was stunned. Thats like giving bologna the "meat of the year" award over a ribeye steak. Give me a break!!

-- Posted by haytiroyalty on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 2:47 PM
  • Stunned? Hardly.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 3:27 PM
  • Glad to see Porter is as humble as ever

-- Posted by caniplay on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 3:40 PM
  • When you blame The Man, you ain’t gonna’ be the man.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 4:05 PM
  • Doesnt take a brain surgeon to know who the coach of the year actually was. It is what it is. He has the ultimate award and title, State Champ. I'm sure he'd rather have that any day of the week. We in the bootheel are proud of him and the Indians.Saying that, my Tigers going to dominate them next season. Losing 19 seniors is going to be tough to replace. The Tigers coming for you Dom!!!

-- Posted by _Cheesehead_ on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 9:02 PM
  • It makes no sense. Hayti killed Scott City. Charleston beat SC as did Valle. It makes the voters seem like idiots.

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 10:31 PM
  • You do realize that the reigning coaches of the year's in the 3 major sports didn't win a championship right? Sean McVay for the Rams, Dwanye Casey for the Raptors, and Brian Snitker for the Braves??

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 1:53 PMReport comment

-- Posted by Run the Race on Thu, Dec 6, 2018, at 10:37 PM
  • just ruined the award for past and future coaches.

my choice

#1 hayti coach

#2 charleston coach

#3 kelly coach

#4 jackson coach

#5 any other coach other than scott city coach

-- Posted by chsfan185 on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 2:54 AM
  • I believe coaches are broke into conferences for consideration, so pull up your big boy britches and give us another list.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 7:16 AM

“Ruined the award for past and future coaches”

That one got me lol Like anyone before or after cares about what happened in 2018.

FWIW, Scott City improved its win total 4 games in the regular szn, Hayti 2. There have been seasons where Judd Naeger didn’t get the COY award, but he always had the best team.

At the end of the day, Hayti has been carrying the ‘Hayti vs the world’ attitude, this will only drove that home in their minds. So watch out next year, merch it

-- Posted by Coach Gaines on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 9:14 AM
  • Where can we find the twitter exchange?

-- Posted by Coach_D1204 on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 10:59 AM

Brian Kelly, Coach of the Year in College Football, can't wait to see Nick Saban and Dabo Sweeney's twitter rants over that

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 11:01 AM
  • 6432 ... those two guys led their respective teams to the playoff last year, whereas Kelly’s team didn’t make it. Now this season they go undefeated. That a drastic improvement. I’m not taking one side or the other in the high school debate. I just think you’re example is apples to oranges. Just my opinion.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 12:54 PM
  • 6432 ... btw, I love the photo with your posts.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 12:55 PM

Who knew a selfie could look so good?

-- Posted by larry doby 14 on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 3:00 PM
  • Lol, Larry!

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 3:03 PM

I know it's not the best comparison, but wanted to provide perspective from the other major sports. My take is this, the 2018 Hayti Football team will be remembered forever, nobody outside of a few people will ever remember who was the conference coach of the year.

And thanks for the compliments fellas, I do clean up pretty good for an old crusty news anchor

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 4:28 PM
  • 6432 ... I understand where you’re coming from. The best team did not always need the best coaching job. Although, all coaching is tough no mater how good or not so good your team may be.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Dec 7, 2018, at 5:11 PM
  • SEMO is gonna SEMO sometimes.

This one should have been really easy. The first coach to bring a football state title to the area since 1983 is the Coach of the Year.

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 7:48 AM
  • The fact that this guy is on twitter expressing his displeasure over not winning this award, kind of validates the other coaches not naming him the coach of the year. I highly doubt you'd ever find the likes of Roderique or Bailey on twitter complaining about not winning a relatively meaningless award after winning a state title--a very meaningful award which was earned by players and coaches.

-- Posted by notgood on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 11:03 AM
  • ^^^ what he/she said ^^^

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 11:15 AM
  • keep the meaningless conference coach of the year award, he got the class 1 coach of the year

-- Posted by haytiroyalty on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 11:47 AM
  • Not good- Hayti coach never said anything about not winning coach of the year. He had to have known about it for a month now so it was no surprise to him. I think that showed how much it meant to him. Other ppl are the ones who have been hyping this thing up. He could care less.

-- Posted by Indian4ever on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 12:04 PM
  • Indian, if you read his comments on twitter, which appear to have been deleted, you would have seen that he appeared to care a little.

-- Posted by notgood on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 12:37 PM
  • Actually, comments are not deleted. Do a little digging and you'll see that it meant enough to him to mention it in some twitter posts.

-- Posted by notgood on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 12:49 PM
  • The fact that he didn't win is an absolute travesty. You can make all the excuses you want. It is appalling that you all are defending this position. But, it seems pretty typical for this area. Black athletes at a mostly white school are lauded. A black guy coaching black kids, not so much.

-- Posted by Charlie Tweeter on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 1:00 PM
  • Wonder if Valle, Webb City, Lamar or any other program with great history had a coach crying when he wasn't the coach of the year?

-- Posted by caniplay on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 2:12 PM

Great, now ESPN Outside the Lines is going to come interview all of us for potential racism. Bob Lee has already left me a voicemail.

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 2:37 PM
  • Double play, anyone insinuating racism here seems to be lacking in integrity.

-- Posted by notgood on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 2:42 PM
  • Just my two cents....I'm sure Coach Robinson was probably thinking WTH when he heard then shrugged it off. He did what no other Hayti coach could do. He instilled respect and discipline and NO Hayti coach before him including Gilmore, Cruce, etc did it. You get a 15 yard penalty for stupidity or lack of discipline, you pay the price. Nothing but respect for the man and could not be more proud for him and his team.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 2:46 PM

I totally agree, I thought it was a good discussion from both sides and then Charlie Tweeter has to come in and insult the Semo area

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 2:46 PM

I had never followed Coach Porter closely but this guy’s rhetoric is killing me on Twitter and don’t get me wrong he’s doing as good as you can with PHL(Those teams will rarely be good OOC). For a guy trying to promote and elevate minority coaches he has to know he can’t be helping his case saying some of this stuff. Especially if he’s trying to climb the coaching ranks himself. Most programs won’t want a guy who comes across as hot headed/pops off on social medial, and I think that’s some of what Coach Rob is tip toeing on with some of this COY reaction. As a coach your individual recognition should never matter.

-- Posted by Coach Gaines on Mon, Dec 10, 2018, at 11:53 PM
  • My favorite line from Ole Porter is claiming he couldn't get interviews because of his race. He couldn't get interviews because he was throwing parties and putting it all over social media/running his mouth about area coaches.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Tue, Dec 11, 2018, at 10:42 AM
  • Guess I'm late to the dance; "who" is Coach Porter, and for what school?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Dec 13, 2018, at 10:47 AM
  • Porter seems a little over the top but a lot of what he posts is just the truth. People sometimes don't like hearing the truth.

-- Posted by Missco1203 on Fri, Dec 14, 2018, at 1:37 AM
  • He’s a self imagined martyr whose perception of the truth is blurred by self imagined injustice.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Fri, Dec 14, 2018, at 7:32 AM
  • You should have had to have him as a student. Insufferable.

-- Posted by Slim shady on Fri, Dec 14, 2018, at 2:55 PM

What's his Twitter handle?

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Sat, Dec 15, 2018, at 2:28 PM
  • Porter describes himself as an educator, but he communicates like a box of rocks. I believe his heart might be in the right spot.

-- Posted by Run the Race on Mon, Dec 24, 2018, at 8:00 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: