Semoball

High School Football Forum: Semoball Touchdown Top 10 #6

Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 12:16 PM:

We’ve been certainly blessed with a great football season this year. District time is going to be fun. I haven’t seen any standings, but some of these teams have to be really close point wise. Wherever they land in the rankings for their first round matchups could prove to be vital this year. A little more shifting around as we had some ranked teams face against each other, and some suffer some pretty bad losses. You may have noticed that I decided to add Farmington in. Just to be noted, Farmington was not being overlooked, they were being left off on propose. As stated in years past I really only like to rank teams within Semoball’s coverage area. The exceptions of Park Hills, Ste. Gen, and Valle have been made overtime due to request and the amount of posters supporting those teams despite not being in the website’s coverage area. Getting out much further the information is harder to gather, as articles for those teams are not posted unless they play an area team. We have virtually no Farmington presence on the message boards, and any that we do have that post are normally only discussing why Farmington isn’t being talked about or ranked. I don’t know how to fix that issue haha. Due to a lack of teams deserving spots toward the bottom, and the discussion surrounding Farmington, they are being added into the 10th spot. I sure this will once again cause an outrage, so have fun everyone lol. BUNCH of great games this week, I wish on the pick’em I could have 3 Games of the Week. Everyone have a great week and stay safe out there! Thoughts and prayers with those in Las Vegas, NV.

Here are this week’s results.

1. Poplar Bluff

2. Jackson

3. Park Hills Central

4. Valle

5. Caruthersville

6. Malden

7. Hayti

8. Kennett

9. Cape Central

10. Farmington

On the bubble: Dexter

Replies (76)

Good top 10. Agree with it.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 12:26 PM

Thanks WWE! Could be shaken up a bit with some big games this week. (#6/#8, #5/#7, PB big game).

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 12:34 PM

Nice work Buck!

-- Posted by JustLoveTheGame on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 1:15 PM
  • Looks fair and accurate. Good job.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 1:26 PM
  • Nice work as always!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Oct 2, 2017, at 1:33 PM

Thank you all!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 8:09 AM
  • Class 5 Bluff MUST win vs. Class 4 Hillsboro to hold on to #1 spot, or else you must throw the bigger class argument out the window if Bluff loses. If Hillsboro wins, Park Hills Central must go to #1.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 9:59 AM
  • Good job as always Buck!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 11:20 AM
  • Spot on👍

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 11:45 AM
  • Ya' know that Bluff wins out including a 17 point win over Hillsboro and then loses to Jax by 3 scores in the rematch.

-- Posted by Nada on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 12:47 PM

Thanks fellas!

Yes I agree Bogey, Poplar Bluff will need that win to hang on to the top spot. Not saying I disagree at all, just want you to elaborate some more, why PHC over Jackson if Hillsboro wins? Better record? Think they would win head to head? Better schedule?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 3:36 PM

I would say Bluff would drop to 2 and Jackson to 3 with a Mules loss and PHC win. Bluff still has the head to head W over Jackson. That puts them over Jackson in any top 10 the rest of the year. And yeah Hillsboro may be Class 4 but they're one of the largest schools in the class pretty close in size to Bluff and they're a good football team. Drop shouldn't be too far with a loss. Don't think this is an issue though. I think the Mules win over Hillsboro and more handily than what a lot of folks think.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 4:06 PM
  • Assuming they beat Dexter, PHC would then be the only remaining undefeated team.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 4:07 PM
  • I guess WWE is assuming PB will beat Jackson in a rematch for them to be "ranked ahead for the rest of the year" ...or is that regardless of rematch?

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 4:12 PM

Ranked ahead until they face off again certainly. If Jackson wins the rematch then definitely they go ahead.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 4:18 PM

Ya know if Jackson were to win the rematch you could maie a case for the teams to share a spot as A-B.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 4:19 PM
  • Bluff might as well got to Class 4. Hell there schedule is a Class 4 schedule besides Jackson.

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 5:33 PM

Not like the class 4 schools they play are on the small end though. Riverview Gardens, Farmington, Cape, Hillsboro all have enrollments over 1,000. It's apparently hard for PB to schedule larger schools because of where Poplar Bluff is. Not a lot of city schools want to drive two hours down 67 or three accross 60. That's why it's so easy for Cape and Jackson to schedule larger teams, they're off I-55, should be a lot easier for Sikeston but they don't even bother to attempt getting bigger schools on their schedule. Would rather play Charleston, NMCC, and Kennett rather than test themselves against real competition. At least Bluff has Ritenour scheduled next year.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 5:51 PM
  • Jackson and pb. If both are at full strength I think our Indians are better.

But my thoughts don't matter much I guess.

We shall find out soon enough!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:14 PM
  • Ya' know Jax drives 4 hrs to play Hickman 3 hrs to play Marion and 2 hrs to play St Louis Un, and Desmet.Jax beats P Bluff by 3 scores.

-- Posted by Nada on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:16 PM
  • CB with a good point!! Scheduling teams like that have helped us become better prepared later in the season.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:32 PM

PB used to be able to do it. Seemed to drop off when Kent Keith became AD. Either schools don't wanna come or our open dates are when everyone else is full. I heard AD on the radio last week and they're looking to fill week 8. He said everyone he's talked to is full that week. Looked to some out of state schools mentioned Marion, IL and some big private school powerhouse in Arkansas but the date "doesn't jive" with either was them.

As recent as 2013 though Bluff didn"t have trouble scheduling. 2012-13 they had Chaminade, Union, Northwest on the schedule. Cycle before that had Gosnell, AR, Seckman, Rockwood Summit (though Rockwood and Seckman were scheduled for us as district games), and Savannah they met in Webb City. Cycle before that had Hannibal. Cycle before that Parkway West and Blytheville, AR. Cycle before that Blytheville, Jonesboro, Forrest City, AR, and Jeff City, cycle before that Francis Howell North, Ozark, Kansas City schools (I think West in 2002 and East in 2003), Sedalia, Blytheville. I remember one year Hickman was on the schedule so was Jackson, TN-Northside. Had Belleville Althoff on it once and I remember their band coming. Played against Kickapoo at one point I think it was 1999 they made a huge comeback gainst them and won 51-50 I believe that was a 35 point halftime deficit too. I need to get ahold of some old newspapers...

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 6:55 PM
  • I would probably put Valle 3 and Park Hills 4.. Other than that, it looks spot on to me..

-- Posted by ChiefsKingdom on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 7:08 PM
  • Thanks for the props IP.Schools that don't schedule competition aren't trying.P Bluff could play 6 or 7 teams in the Memphis area alone but then they ain't gonna be full strength for their one big game a year.

Jax beats P Bluff by 3 scores in the rematch.Still don't know if Vianney can be beat but we'll get to find out on the field.

-- Posted by Nada on Tue, Oct 3, 2017, at 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for throwing Farmington in there, we appreciate it. We are stuck between STL and Cape so sometimes get lost. Thanks again.

-- Posted by SportsAreFun on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 3:32 PM

Yeah no problem at all, you are welcome! Farmington does indeed often get lost from a regional aspect. What news paper covers Farmington?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 3:39 PM

Farmington is sort of stuck on an island. They're a mineral area team but play with the big SEMO North schools. Not surprised they're overlooked a lot of the time.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 4:54 PM
  • Farm has a nice football facility but they are going to struggle to beat teams this year and for the next 4 to 5 years.Good fans and respectful athletes though

-- Posted by Nada on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 5:29 PM

I hated Farmington when Vaughn was head coach. Lacked a lot of class then. Were always a good team but they were cheap shot artists. Since Kruppe became head coach though have had a different vibe off Farmington.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Wed, Oct 4, 2017, at 6:26 PM
  • Farmington is better than several of the teams rated above them. Of course, we'll never know unless/until they play each other. Also, Valle is not as good as past years. PHC is definitely better.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Thu, Oct 5, 2017, at 8:05 AM
  • I think valle would beat park hills this year, imo

-- Posted by Blitz on Thu, Oct 5, 2017, at 12:33 PM
  • The Daily Journal paper would be The outlet thy covers Farmington.

I think we will have some decent teams in the next 3 years. We have a lot of good freshman coming up.

-- Posted by SportsAreFun on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 3:19 PM

The Cville/Hayti game was another classic. Good job Tigers!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 10:05 PM

Hell of a Battle if the Bootheel!!!

-- Posted by JustLoveTheGame on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 10:06 PM
  • Hayti/Cville score?

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 10:08 PM

39-32 Cville

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 10:16 PM
  • Thx. That would have been fun to watch.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 10:23 PM

Won't be a lot of movement in next weeks poll

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Oct 6, 2017, at 10:25 PM
  • Based on Bluff's 1 point victory over a slightly above average Class 4 Hillsboro team, my suspicions are confirmed. Bluff and Jackson are mediocre Class 5 teams. If they played a Class 5-6 St. Louis schedule, they would be .500 teams. Big fish, small SEMO pond. Park Hills Central is the best team in SEMO area.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 11:23 AM
  • Look at Jackson's schedule bogey

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 11:26 AM
  • PHC would get crushed by Hickman Lindbergh Marion and Saint Louis University.Jax goes 3 n 1 vs them.

PHC couldn't find the field vs Jax.

-- Posted by Nada on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 11:32 AM
  • Bogey, you actually think PHC would beat Jackson?

-- Posted by blue recruiter on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 12:47 PM
  • I agree with CB, also Bogey, PB had to play a QB that has never thrown a football in a HS game until he threw 2 passes in mop up duty against Dexter. And he went 13-16 and brought Bluff back from down 14. Not to mention Bluff's best WR has been out the last two weeks. Very good game by Hillsboro but there was certain reasons it was closer than it should have been.

-- Posted by PBMuleFan on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 12:48 PM
  • @Bogey Man.. Jackson and Bluff both for sure would win by 3+ touchdowns against PHC. Jackson plays a tough schedule too just take a look. Mostly Stl teams

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 1:12 PM
  • @Bogey Man: Outside of conference games, Jax has played 5A Columbia Hickman, 6A Lindbergh, Arkansas 6A Marion, 6A Desmet, and 6A St. Louis Univ. That schedule does not look to me like they played down. How do you see that Jax did???

-- Posted by theprof on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 2:52 PM

PB is the best team in the area. Those three one point ballgames are very telling of effort and character. There is no other team who will fight to the final whistle quite like these Mules. Good football teams find a way to win even when down by two scores and Bluff has done that not once, not twice, but thrice.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 3:03 PM
  • P Bluff loses to Jax not by one, not by two but by 3 scores.It ain't gonna even be a ballgame but it's gonna be fun to watch it

-- Posted by Nada on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 3:28 PM
  • Faux Einstein, your 3+ TD estimate is a good estimate. calpreps has it Jax 46, PHC 26. Maxpreps #29 Jax beat #83 63-33. #70 PHC beat #85 MICDS 22-20 in PHC only game this season against a top 100 team. Jax should be tested on the road against #52 SLUH this Friday. Also, Farmington should be considered SEMO as long as they are in the "SEMO" North Confrence. Farmington has only lost to Jax, Bluff, and Cape with 4 seconds left in the game. I would rank Farmington as a 7 way tie for 4th as all could and/or have beaten each other.

-- Posted by theprof on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 3:54 PM
  • Poplar Bluff should be ranked 1 but unfortunately for them the injuries are adding up. That will be the difference in the rematch with Jackson

-- Posted by LeBum on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 8:47 PM
  • P Bluff was lucky that Jax played down.Jax wins by 3 scores.

-- Posted by Nada on Tue, Oct 10, 2017, at 8:58 PM
  • I agree theprof

Good points.

-- Posted by SportsAreFun on Wed, Oct 11, 2017, at 4:25 PM
  • I find it humorous that CB keeps posting, ad nauseam, that Jackson wins by 3 scores. Using the ambiguous term "scores", he leaves a pretty wide margin of error for himself....

-- Posted by marcus aurelius on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 6:35 AM
  • Ya' gotta be able to read.The score and game prediction has already been explained, Lucius.Jax doesnt play down and P Bluff loses by 3 scores

-- Posted by Nada on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 8:32 AM
  • Slu played down. If they played Jackson again Slu wins by 3 scores.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Fri, Oct 13, 2017, at 10:05 PM
  • @BogeyMan and others that think Park Hills Central could play with Jackson. PHC's close game with Sikeston this Friday confirmed that PHC is not the same leval as Jax or Bluff. Halftime score PHC 6-0 over Sikeston. Halftime score Jax 49-0 over Sikeston.

-- Posted by theprof on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 2:53 PM

Jackson and Poplar Bluff are on another level than everyone else in SEMO, as they should be. Should be am exciting rematch. Hope it's broadcasted on the web.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 3:58 PM
  • It ain't gonna b much of a game.P Bluff loses by 3 scores to Jax

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 4:47 PM
  • I have noticed in the past few years that not as many district or playoff games are broadcasted on the web. Is this due to control/ approval over games by MSHSAA or the lead time to prepare for the broadcast? Game should be standing room only if it is not raining.

-- Posted by theprof on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 4:49 PM
  • It would be standing room only at Jax but P Bluff won't have 10000 people in their stands.Jax will travel with a bigger crowd but not like it would be at The Pit

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 5:52 PM
  • Last time I heard of 10,000 in attendance was around 1976-1977 when both undefeated at the time Cape and Jackson had the overflowing crowd at Houck stadium played in a steady drizzle the entire game. Cape won the game 7-6 as Jax didn't want the tie and kick the extra point. Note there was no overtime then. Jax went for 2 and came up a foot short. How many seats does Poplar Bluffs new stadium have? Some have commented that there were not nearly enough on the visitors side.

-- Posted by theprof on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 7:12 PM
  • I meant 1000 not 10000.Semoball said 6 or 7000 at the C Central v Jax game this year.

Look at the semoball pictures of the home side at every P Bluff game and it looks half empty.No matter since P Bluff is gonna lose to Jax by 3 scores

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 7:37 PM
  • @ the prof.. let's put it this way.. half of the visitors side at Bluff is Bluffs band and high school kids.

-- Posted by Ohweeohahaha on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 7:59 PM
  • And half their home side is empty

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 8:10 PM
  • I believe PHC could surprise Jackson who doesn’t appear to be very physical. Not saying they could beat them but would make an interesting game.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 8:42 PM
  • PHC couldn't take the field vs Jax.The most interesting thing about that matchup would be what songs the band would play at the half

-- Posted by Nada on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 9:01 PM
  • @CBinParadise: The songs would have to be "Rebels without a clue" by the Bellamy Brothers or "The Dying Rebel" by YES. LOL

-- Posted by theprof on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 9:16 PM
  • taxpayer parent, did you see the Halftime scores??? PHC 6-0 over Sikeston. Jax 49-0 over sikeston before halftime. That is a 43 point gap to make up to make it interesting. NOTE: Jax played even with Sikeston the second half using entirely second string on both sides of the ball against mostly Sikeston's starters.

-- Posted by theprof on Sat, Oct 14, 2017, at 9:23 PM
  • Jackson probably intimidated Sikeston. Not sure Rebs would be. But you make a convincing argument.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 3:40 AM
  • I totally agree about the intimidation part every year they clobber us and I think it's in our players head.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 5:51 AM
  • To theprof

First, let me say, that Jackson would highly likely beat PHC, there is no doubt about that. Cal Preps has it Jackson 48, PHC 24, which sounds about right.

However, comparing scores in high school football is a bad way to prove your point. If you want to compare scores among good high school football teams. Bluff BEAT Jackson. Bluff barely squeaked by Hillsboro (very fortunate to win that game). MICDS also barely squeaked by Hillsboro. PHC beat MICDS in a very close game (also very fortunate to win). My point is, when you look at these scores, Jackson doesn't look so dominate over PHC with these comparisons.

That being said, even despite Bluff beating Jackson, Jackson likely wins the rematch. Jackson is the best team around here from Festus south. But this year, it seems that anyone in this top 10 COULD surprise people on any given night. Injuries and matchups always play a roll.

-- Posted by Only facts on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 8:00 AM
  • Everyone who is someone knows Jax is a better team at this point in da' season.Calpreps has a Lindbergh and Jax matchup as a 9 pt game at this point.Jax got better as the season progressed and teams like P Bluff just hung on.Jax beats P Bluff by 3 scores.

-- Posted by Nada on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 8:55 AM
  • Only Facts: You're a wise dude. You make more sense than any post I've seen this football season.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 10:23 AM
  • @Only facts: my post was in response to Taxpayer parent who posted " I believe PHC could surprise Jackson, who doesn't appear to be very physical". I posted sources from calpreps, Maxpreps, and of a common opponent Sikeston, that 49-0 is better than 6-0, but it is your choice to think otherwise. Whether it is 24, 28, or 80 points, that is quite a gap to make up. We agree that on any given night injuries, turnovers, etc. could change the result of a game. Jackson had injuries and their best athelete was gimpy against Bluff, Poplar Bluff played with injuries against Hillsboro and even had to throw in their inexperienced QB early on. Hillsboro and PHC might, or more probable, have players out too. I am not trying to "prove" anything, but just suggest that the gap is large. The gap between PHC or Hillsboro against Jackson is as large as Jackson against Vianny, but anything can happen. Here is a fun fact...Just this past Friday, Maxpreps #25 Jax was up 28-0 after first quarter against #61 SLU. How would #67 fare?

-- Posted by theprof on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 1:53 PM
  • @TaxpayerParent: How could have Jax intimidated Sikeston? if, by your quote, "Jackson who doesn't appear to be very physical" LOL

-- Posted by theprof on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 1:57 PM
  • The prof

Good point but I was thinking about the history between two teams. Sometimes one team is intimidated by the other uniform.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 6:38 PM
  • Hey anyone want to talk about any team other than jax or pb ?there is a thread just for them.

-- Posted by Ramfanman on Sun, Oct 15, 2017, at 6:56 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: