High School Football Forum: Semoball Touchdown Top 10 #3

Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 12:25 PM:

Another great week of games last week! A lot teams with big wins or loses, some surprising even, which caused quite a bit of movement in this week’s poll. Top 2 are pretty firm it seems from the consensus. And have by far the game of the week and one of the best of the season so far when they face each other Friday. And some other good games as well. Bottom teams need a little more work. Some good wins, and some suspect losses. But lots of opportunity to prove they belong in a higher spot. The middle is tough. You have some teams who are not going to play each other, and did crazy things against common opponents. I think you could have a few different orders of those teams, this is the one I decided to go with. Poplar Bluff, PHC, Valle, and Hayti are your only remaining undefeated teams (in the poll).

1. Jackson

2. Poplar Bluff

3. Park Hills Central

4. Valle

5. Sikeston

6. Kennett

7. Cape Central

8. Hayti

9. Caruthersville

10. Malden

On the bubble: Dexter

Replies (68)

I imagine Park Hills and Kennett will probably meet in the Class 3, D1 district championship game.

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 12:38 PM
  • Sikeston struggles with Charleston and Hayti blows out Charleston. You must havent seen them boys play!

-- Posted by Indian4ever on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 12:53 PM
  • Don't leave Dexter out of that equation just yet, Lunch Lady.

I don't know if I would've moved Kennett from un-ranked to No. 6 even with the huge win over Caruthersville. Maybe No. 8, but I see your reasoning as they did take Sikeston to overtime.

Great job as always Buck!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 12:53 PM

You guys are right, any combination of a Dexter/Kennett/Park Hills game would be really fun! I'm also looking forward to Dexter vs. Sikeston.

Yeah the Kennett area was tough, there could be a fun combos through that area. Very interchangeable.

I've actually seen them Hayti boys play 6 times this season so far!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 1:21 PM

You guys are right. I definitely think it is reasonable to include Dexter (and maybe Potosi) in the conversation.

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 1:25 PM
  • So you are saying Sikeston and Kennett can beat Hayti in a game this year at a neutral site? Size of school doesnt matter.

-- Posted by Indian4ever on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 1:36 PM

I definitely think they could. It would certainly be a good game, but yeah I think both would have legitimate shots at winning that game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 2:04 PM
  • Why no love for Farmington??? #107 on maxpreps and only 4.1 seconds from beating Cape Central #7. Lost to #2 Poplar Bluff. Farmington could beat 6 or 7 of the top ten in my humble opinion. Probably go 4-3.

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 2:05 PM
  • Sorry Prof. You lost me at "probably" and "could ". Lost to Cape. Sikeston beat Cape. Sikeston OT over Charleston. Hayti thumped Charleston. I'm thinking 1-6, 2-5 tops. But good luck. Heart of the season will reveal each team's worthiness.

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 3:35 PM
  • Hayti could give Jackson a game, let alone Sikeston....

-- Posted by Bigdaddy34 on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 3:51 PM
  • I want whatever bigdaddy's smoking...

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 4:05 PM
  • Good list.

Buck please reiterate that it's not solely based on who would beat who. I will admit I should've put Hayti higher on the list I made as well as bluff. My only thing is how is Kennett losing in OT against a 4A and beating a very good 2A worse than a 4A squeaking by a 2a and a 3a in OT?

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 4:50 PM
  • This weeks game should show if Dexter deserves a mention. In my humble opinion Hayti could hang with Sikeston and possibly beat them. However, Jackson would thrash the Indians. The line play at a Class 5 school like Jackson is just too strong. I've been fortunate to see them up close and personal and it's no contest for anyone else in the SEMO area. With that being said I root for all SEMO teams come playoff time.

-- Posted by lonesomedavepeverett on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 5:09 PM
  • Like I said, there's never a perfect list especially because (like you mentioned) not all these teams play each other. My question is what did cape ever do to deserve #1 overall. Making the top 10 is one thing but #1 from the beginning of the year until now (regardless of criteria) has never been cape. Not even close.

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 6:33 PM

I believe Hayti and Kennett are the type of team that will stun somebody.....

I am the textbook definition of a hardcore PHC fan, but I have really been watching Kennett and Hayti over the past few years. Very proud of them!

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 6:47 PM
  • @PimpDaddyT, Where in this thread are you referring to, and by who, that believes Cape deserves the #1 overall ranking? I can't find it.

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 7:25 PM
  • @ ForrestGump, you are right heart of season will reveal each teams worthiness. My point was why did Farmington drop off the poll when they only lost to #2 Poplar Bluff and played an even game with Cape Central. Cape winning score came at 4.1 seconds remaining. Seems like bottom 6 or 7 teams pretty evenly matched. Farmington already has wins over Fox and North County, teams similar to #9 Caruthrsville.

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 7:38 PM
  • @Indian4ever: Hayti hasn't played anyone in the top 100 yet. They will get their one chance when they play Valle. Valle will get their two chances vs. Hayti and Lamar. Park Hills only tough game is against Sikeston, and Poll is not called the pound for pound poll based on enrollment. Who cares what class they're in until district play.

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 8:08 PM
  • @Bigdaddy34: Now That's Funny. You do realize Jackson's starters had Sikeston down 49-0 before halftime. Jackson's entire second string on both offence and deffence played entire second half in an even 8-6 game against mostly Sikeston's starters. Is Hayti really 80 to 90 points better than Sikeston?

-- Posted by theprof on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 8:19 PM
  • Are we talking about the same Hayti team that struggled for a half vs. East Prairie? Don't get me wrong...Hayti pulled away in the 2nd half. However, if they are a team that can play with Jackson and Sikeston, shouldn't they have thumped a weak Class 2 team like EP?

-- Posted by alum3221 on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 9:15 PM

Some of you guys are hilarious.

Just tell BuckMajor thanks for writing the poll and go enjoy the rest of your team's regular season!

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Mon, Sep 11, 2017, at 11:36 PM

Great list Buck!! My Cville Tigers have shown flashes of how good they are. But like there record shows you have to play with everything you have for 4 quarters not 2. Gonna be a great Battle of the Bootheel this year against Cville and Hayti! I guarantee the house will be packed for that one!

-- Posted by JustLoveTheGame on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 7:14 AM
  • SEMO area doesn't pay proper respect to Valle (and other MAAA teams, watch out for Potosi this year) year in and year out, yet when the dust settles, Valle is at the top. Class size don't matter - have any of you seen the size of Valle's line? And I guarantee they are not only big but strong. OK - let the spin begin how Valle can't compete with Jackson and Bluff. But you are wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 9:28 AM

Don't jump the gun there Bogey Kennett has a much Bigger line than Valle. Not gonna take anything away from Valle the are a great program!! They are well coached but class makes a huge difference!

-- Posted by JustLoveTheGame on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 9:44 AM
  • Have you looked at the size of Valle's starting line?? And Kennett has not seen anything like Valle's precision passing game. Guess we will never know. No question Lamar will beat Valle, Lamar would give Jackson and Bluff all they can handle. And this isn't one of Valle's strongest teams. However, most years Valle can play with anyone in SEMO area. They have proved it over the years when they would win the MAAA against big schools like Farmington, North County, SG, and PHC. Class size doesn't seem to matter when you talk about some of the great Scott County Central teams is basketball, yet SEMO area fans have a double standard for football. I'm not sure almighty Jackson would beat Park Hills this year if they had not lost their best running back to knee injury. MAAA is the better area for football, SEMO for basketball, regardless of class size.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 10:03 AM

I didn't say Kennett would beat them just that they have a bigger line. Valle is a hell of a team I wish them the best this season! Hoping to see a Hayti Valley rematch I will be attending if and when it happens!

-- Posted by JustLoveTheGame on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 10:14 AM
  • Obviously bogey is a homer. That's ok. I think when most people see MAAA vs Semo matchups we all see Semo conf win most of these. That's prob why. Guess we'll see this wkend when Farmington and Jackson play.

-- Posted by Richard Simmons on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 10:48 AM
  • Farmington is pretty average this year. Jackson should handle them easily. I don't see almighty Jackson in the state rankings, though. And not sure of what matchups you are referring to, but I haven't seen anyone from SEMO do much come playoff time.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 11:16 AM
  • Bogey, if you think Valle could even come close to playing with Jackson you are delusional! They do have a huge line but playing both ways just wouldn't cut it. It would be a severe beating, good passing attack or not. Lamar will beat them too, bad!

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 11:29 AM

Same conversation.....every year.

Like the movie Groundhog Day.

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 11:38 AM
  • Basketball and football are two different animals. Only takes 4-5 good players in basketball. In football you better have 15-20 in a small school. You better have 30-40 in a large school (both ways won't cut it, even though a few individuals are so good they can). Valle would get pummeled by Jackson or Bluff. Lamar is just as strong as Valle but deeper due to school size, thus the thumping (middle of second quarter and beginning of fourth quarter is when the onslaught usually occurs).

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 11:50 AM
  • Easy for your to say but no way to prove.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 11:55 AM
  • Let's be honest, the top four are the cream of the crop teams right now. Any other way of ranking them other than straight by class until they (if ever) play each other is only wishful thinking. The Lunch Lady is right, it's Groundhog Day 2017...

-- Posted by mojo3 on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 11:58 AM
  • Class5 media state rank, and maxpreps computer all classes combined ranking in () : 1(1)Vianny, 2(12}Staley, 3(9)Ft.Zumwalt N., 4(15)Liberty, 5(20)Ft. Osage, 6(36)Battle, 7(79)william chrisman, 8(32)Pattonville, 9(16)Chaminade, 10(47)Webster Groves, 11(55)Nixa, 12(46)Raytown, 13(66)Cathtage. Not Ranked (27)Jackson. NR(39)Poplar Bluff. BogeyMan, Bluff and Jackson were Both knocked out of the playoffs to state champ Vianny last year. Just for grins, Which of the above teams who does "almighty" Valle(76) knock off?

-- Posted by theprof on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 12:20 PM
  • @BogeyMan I beg to diffarrr, there is an easy way to prove it...Beat Lamar.

-- Posted by theprof on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 12:25 PM
  • The valle vs lamar game may open some eyes this year!

-- Posted by kirbyman on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 12:54 PM
  • Man they struggled with cville how you think they gone beat Lamar?

-- Posted by Indian4ever on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 12:59 PM

Everybody knows Lamar will be a very steep, uphill battle. Valle could compete with Jackson and lamar, but only for a quarter, maybe a half. As good as valle is, they would be 100x better if they had the depth of a big class 2 (like Lamar) or even a class 3 like PHC.

-- Posted by BlueNote on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 1:15 PM
  • BlueNote, you speak of depth, what is the line looking like next year for Valle? I haven't made a game yet, but sources say after this year they look pretty little?

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 1:43 PM
  • They will recruit new players. They always are "looking small/weak next year". Next year never comes though.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 2:13 PM
  • shouldn't you be on the soccer forum dawg?

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 2:26 PM
  • Watch out guys we have a real intellectual. Pville dawg not pirate.

-- Posted by Pville.dawg on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 2:48 PM
  • same difference

-- Posted by BBUBET on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 2:54 PM

The line for next year has the biggest room for improvement than the previous 6-7 years. The line this year is 100% seniors. Normally there are a few subs who can come in for a play or 2 a drive and have nearly the same impact on the defensive side of the ball, this year however those subs are very small and would get manhandled by those Lamar boys. The coming years will be a big test for valle, as the talent level is dropping.

-- Posted by BlueNote on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 2:57 PM

The only reason class size has began to matter is because MSHSAA says it does. Large schools get no incentive for playing good to great small schools and are frowned upon for doing so. Ya know I think the feeling is like this in the entire state besides southwest. Everyone will play anyone over there. Lamar will go and compete with the Joplins, Rollas, Webbs and nobody will bat an eye that the big boys are playing a small school.

-- Posted by WWE Guru on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 5:27 PM
  • As I stated, this isn't Valle's strongest team, and never said they would beat Jackson or Bluff, or probably PHC. Just don't think it would be as one sided as most think on here, Valle is solid every year and don't make many mistakes. And MAAA biggest schools, Farmington and North County, would have trouble with Valle right now. I can't figure out why Valle and Park Hills don't play each other.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 6:23 PM
  • You're right Bogey. I didn't see the Lamar/Valle game last year. At what point in the game did the onslaught start?

-- Posted by Forrest Gump on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 7:01 PM
  • @Prof I'm probably referring to the earlier Touchdown Top #10 that had cape central at number one. That's why I was questioning "what did cape ever do to deserve #1 overall. Making the top 10 is one thing but #1 from the beginning of the year until now (regardless of criteria) has never been cape. Not even close."

-- Posted by PimpDaddyTaddy on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 7:45 PM
  • @PimpDaddyT I would agree with you, #1 was a little too high.

-- Posted by theprof on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 7:52 PM
  • @ForrestGump Valle scored first against Lamar last year with 8:41 remaining in the 1st quarter. Score was 28-7 Lamar at halftime.

-- Posted by theprof on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 7:57 PM
  • Charleston took Sikeston to overtime and hayti just barley beat c=town 62=15. there is no way hayti could compete against a bigger school like sikeston

-- Posted by semoindian15 on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 8:42 PM

Valle asked PHC when the new cycle started 2 years ago. Not sure what went on, but valle plays cville and Lamar instead.

-- Posted by BlueNote on Tue, Sep 12, 2017, at 10:12 PM

PHC picked up MICDS and Sikeston.

Class 4 teams that are usually pretty good.

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 6:46 AM

BTW, Valle's entire visitor bleacher section needs a tune-up. It's pretty ragged.

(Somebody mentioned that in another thread earlier this year.)

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 6:53 AM
  • Need to sell some more pork burgers so they can buy new bleachers

-- Posted by hb1025 on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 8:28 AM
  • PHC would play Valle but Valle dropped them.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 6:15 PM

Ha.

-- Posted by BlueNote on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 6:51 PM
  • Next season, after the Lamar series is over, Valle should try to schedule PHC.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 7:14 PM

Valle tried with the current cycle. I'm sure they'll try again.

-- Posted by BlueNote on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 7:36 PM

Does anybody know anything about Sumner? Valle picked them up after Grandview dropped their program. I know they combined with Transportation and Law this year, but other than that I've got no idea what to expect Friday night.

-- Posted by BlueNote on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 8:41 PM

Valle Catholic @ Park Hills Central would have been a very good "business" move for both schools over the past few years.

Valle/PHC would be a 50-50 matchup this year. There would be no clear favorite going into the game. People would show up.

PHC could play some 0-6 scrub team from STL and the place would be packed. Imagine what would happen if a team like Valle rolled into town. WHY ARE THESE LOCAL TEAMS NOT PLAYING EACH OTHER?

Athletic directors....ditch the politics and do what works financially! It is absolutely ridiculous for these good teams to drive several hours away to play some BS team in a meaningless game.

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Wed, Sep 13, 2017, at 9:15 PM
  • When the A.D. is also the football coach you know who to ask.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Thu, Sep 14, 2017, at 7:48 AM
  • Valle did not ask phc this cycle, I know for a fact. They had talk about playing with Judd and Korey being very good friends but could not find a open week that both could play. They do play freshman. Neither turned down each other it just didn't work out. Central does play Farmington and North county in the next cycle.

-- Posted by pj1972 on Thu, Sep 14, 2017, at 1:23 PM
  • And I'm not sure what meaningless game you are mentioning. MICDS and sikeston are two very good opponents for PHC as is Lamar for Valle, and Valle will always p!ay St. Gen. That's two open weeks taken and then add your district opponents.

-- Posted by pj1972 on Thu, Sep 14, 2017, at 1:26 PM
  • Some Valle folks have forgotten how fortunate they were to get past Caruthersville, going scoreless in the 2nd half, I believe.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Sep 14, 2017, at 2:00 PM

What Central are you talking about PJ?

-- Posted by Stuart on Fri, Sep 15, 2017, at 4:43 AM

PJ, I made it a point to mention how MICDS and Sikeston are generally perceived as quality opponents.

I think you may have misunderstood my point about "meaningless games" it was purely hypothetical.

-- Posted by zachattack V2.0 on Fri, Sep 15, 2017, at 7:35 AM
  • Good job Buck! Now it gets interesting

-- Posted by PBMuleFan on Fri, Sep 15, 2017, at 11:43 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: