High School Football Forum: Any word on Fredericktown, North County, Windsor...

Posted by Boogin77 on Wed, Feb 8, 2017, at 7:53 PM:

Head coaching positions? Have any of them been filled?

Replies (50)

• Anyone heard about Pixley coming back to Dexter as athletic director? If so, Kennett will be hiring a new head coach soon too.

-- Posted by bearcatforelife on Thu, Feb 9, 2017, at 11:06 AM
  • That ship has sailed!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Feb 9, 2017, at 2:05 PM
  • If that's true we sure lost a good one! Will they let him coach at Dexter? I can't believe he would give it up!

-- Posted by InjunJoe on Thu, Feb 9, 2017, at 2:52 PM

Who is Mike Maguire? What does he have to do with this thread?

-- Posted by Stuart on Sat, Feb 11, 2017, at 11:00 PM

Word down at the barber shop was Farmington might be looking for a new coach? Is that a rumor?

-- Posted by Stuart on Thu, Feb 16, 2017, at 1:14 PM
  • Of course not.

-- Posted by BobBone on Thu, Feb 16, 2017, at 8:20 PM

Of course it's not a rumor?

-- Posted by CoachKent on Thu, Feb 16, 2017, at 9:11 PM
  • Coach Kent.....who is this imposter?

-- Posted by Coachken on Thu, Feb 16, 2017, at 9:21 PM

I don't think anyone from Freddy knows what to do with a head job.

-- Posted by Golfcart_Lombardi on Fri, Feb 24, 2017, at 11:38 AM
  • flanigan new football coach at chaffee

-- Posted by rockin roy on Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 12:29 PM
  • who is flanigan??

-- Posted by mule4444 on Thu, Mar 9, 2017, at 2:09 PM
  • Just curious - Heard Farmington coach was leaving but didn't get a position he was wanting and is now staying???? is this true or rumor?

-- Posted by thatDude on Mon, Mar 13, 2017, at 10:43 AM
  • Word at the barbershop is that the rumors about the Farmington coach are false. There will be no change.

-- Posted by BobBone on Mon, Mar 13, 2017, at 12:31 PM
  • No change at Farmington but he did inquire (and maybe interviewed) at Neosho. Either they didn't hire him or he didn't like what he heard but he is staying put. Staying at Farmington.

-- Posted by Only facts on Mon, Mar 13, 2017, at 9:22 PM

Stop the silly stuff. He interviewed and didn't get the job. He wanted out.

-- Posted by Golfcart_Lombardi on Mon, Mar 13, 2017, at 10:00 PM

Any word on the Perryville job? Or any openings for assistants in St. Francois county?

-- Posted by Golfcart_Lombardi on Mon, Mar 13, 2017, at 10:07 PM

I'm hearing north county found themselves a keeper.

-- Posted by Stuart on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 6:27 AM
  • A lot of former NC people are popping up in prominent coaching positions.

There may be another one soon.

-- Posted by JoJo Starbuck on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 8:04 AM
  • Neosho- Huh! I know some people down there and they have an outstanding wrestling program. I think their football doesn't get much recognition due to being overshadowed by Webb City.

-- Posted by thatDude on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 9:39 AM
  • Why would Kruppe want to leave Farmington anyway? He has put a lot of time and effort into turning that program around. They had a few rough years but had a pretty good year last year.

-- Posted by CodeRed on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 10:44 AM
  • The pattern I've seen through out the years is outside guys very rarely stay or work out (don't know why), its usually your local guys from around the area that have any longevity. Farmington is a tough gig, the way they are growing every year I wouldn't be surprised to see them in class 5 soon, they have 1000+ more kids than their neighboring class 4 schools.

-- Posted by thatDude on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 11:12 AM
  • My sources tell me that the maximum high school enrollment for class 4 is currently 1314, while the minimum is 732. This is a possible difference of 582. Farmington's enrollment is 1165. North County's is 917. Perryville's is 732. There are no other neighboring class 4 schools. Farmington does have a chance to move to class 5 in a different districting method than currently used, but is solidly in class 4 in the current method.

-- Posted by BobBone on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 12:26 PM
  • What NC people have turned up in prominent coaching positions? Obv Brian Jones now HC, who else popped up?

-- Posted by philobeddoe on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 12:26 PM
  • Steve AuBuchon will be the OC at NC.

-- Posted by cantGETright71 on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 12:28 PM
  • I'm just saying that if you have more kids to pull from then in theory it should make your team that much better, and Farmington is substantially larger than other schools in the area: just to put into perspective total enrollment numbers based on dese: Farm: 4,004, NC: 3,098, Desoto: 3,011, Festus: 2,995, Perryville: 2,313 Central: 2,137, St.Gen: 1,890 WC: 978,

-- Posted by thatDude on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 1:41 PM
  • Farmington is a solid football job. He does a good job with them. It's just tough to win beyond the area, at least the last number of years with the good teams that have been in their path; i.e. Cape Central, Sikeston, Hillsboro, etc.

-- Posted by GottaWorkAt It on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 2:01 PM
  • thatDude which of those schools you listed have they not been better than? NC hasn't beaten them for years, DeSoto maybe never?, Festus about even I would say, Perryville been years, Central and them split recently, don't think Central wanted to play them anymore, Ste. Gen hasn't played them for years, don't know who WC is. Long run on sentence I know.

They are like most teams in that the talent cycles up and down.

-- Posted by philobeddoe on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 2:08 PM
  • Philobeddoe - I think you need to read the posts fully and completely, I simply stated its a tough gig due to the growing size and political atmosphere in Farmington. I don't care who you say they beat or don't beat - in the past 3 seasons I see records for 6-3, 4-5, 2-6 for one of the largest class 4 teams in the area. the enrollment numbers were to reinforce my comment on size compared to other area schools. I guess my question would be who do you think they are better than - schools half their size? hows their record against schools their size are larger? - point made!

-- Posted by thatDude on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 2:32 PM
  • The problem with the current argument about school size is that high school sports are "classed" according to the population of their high school, not the entire district. It doesn't matter what the total school population is, only the high school population matters. The schools you added are classed by these numbers: DeSoto 946, Festus 888, Central 527, Ste. Gen 630, WC 275 and you could add Hillsboro at 1150.

The size of the school district does not matter because only the students in high school play high school sports.

-- Posted by BobBone on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 2:58 PM
  • Specific to Farmington, the only school in a smaller class than their own that they have played in the last three or four years is Park Hills Central. The idea that they loaded up on wins against smaller class schools is not accurate.

-- Posted by BobBone on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 3:02 PM
  • Hey Philo, my words were,

There may be another one soon.

That means it hasn't happened yet.

Thank you for participating.

-- Posted by JoJo Starbuck on Tue, Mar 14, 2017, at 6:45 PM
  • You also have to figure in how many sports for a given season. North County has 3 fall sports for boys.

PH Central has 1 fall sport.

The reality is, the size of the school is often misleading. Potosi, Ste. Genevieve, have no soccer but they do have cross country. Central has neither.

Rather have a few more kids to pick from but have to divide between 3 sports, or have fewer kids and one sport?

-- Posted by BTIndians on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:30 AM
  • Mr Bob - we'll agree to disagree, it sounds like your a Farmington faithful and I don't want to hurt your feelings, I'm not running Farmington down just stating faacts. But enrollment accurately depicts the size of a school district, and everyone knows "High School" enrollments reported to MSHAAA for classification don't always correspond to what is reported to dese for funding - just saying their have been questionable reportings in the past from certain schools.

-- Posted by thatDude on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:50 AM
  • Central (Park Hills) was able to establish itself as a good football program once it got out of the MAAA conference where it could schedule schools nearer their size. They were continually being pounded by schools twice their size back in the 1980's and before to the point where their good athletes would not go out for football. That changed when their schedule changed. Now their good athletes play football and they can compete with any school in the area. Size does make a difference. The large schools had depth charts. The small schools like Central didn't and when someone was injured there was no replacement. That has now changed.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 9:53 AM
  • I don't think that the amount of Fall Sports really play that large of a role in kids not playing football. There aren't many cross country runners that I see and think "Man, our team could use him". Soccer may take a handful of skill type players out of the mix for larger schools but for the most part kids have an idea what sport they are going to favor long before high school.

-- Posted by CodeRed on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 10:03 AM
  • thatdude I think my point was exactly what I said; they are like most school in that their talent level cycles up and down. I don't think it is any tougher of a gig than most. Politics comes into play at all districts, some more than others but every place his issues and drama. You say how Farmington is growing and that makes it a tough gig. Farmington has doubled in size in the last 25 years or so, and they have been a class 4 school for at least that long.

And JoJo thanks for clarifying, we will anxiously await the possible announcement next NC based coach returning to glory. And so you don't think I'm a Raider hater I think coach Jones and Aubuchon are both great coaches.

-- Posted by philobeddoe on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 11:16 AM
  • Check out Farmington's high school population. It is not growing although the city has seen substantial growth. FHS had as many as 1200 students in the 1970's and 1980's.

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 11:43 AM
  • CodeRed, ask perryville if having another fall sport hurts there football team.

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 11:54 AM
  • there are so many factors that affect our schools other than shear population......its pretty well known that some school use fuzzy math to report their population in order to stay small in the eyes of mshsaa....things like not reporting the population of alternative campus at-risk students in their totals (park hills) keep numbers lower that they should be.

-- Posted by nose56 on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:09 PM
  • thatDude, Of course the barbershop is Farmington Faithful, regardless, the problem with your argument is that most of us find it hard to understand how the population of elementary and middle schools affect the success of high school football. It seems to me, and the guys in the barbershop agree, that the high school population is the most important. You started this discussion by saying that one school in our area has 1000 more kids to choose from than others for their football team. Let me be clear, THIS IS NOT TRUE. You then spoke on Farmington specifically, saying "I guess my question would be who do you think they are better than - schools half their size? hows their record against schools their size are larger? - point made!". YOUR POINT WAS NOT MADE. Farmington has had three games against smaller schools in the last three or four years. Their record is representative of them playing teams in their district or higher. Again, the barbershop wholeheartedly agrees with me.

Bottom line is this: mshsaa schools are put into classes based on their HIGH SCHOOL population. They compete against schools in their classes for district and state championships. If you make it into the state tournament, you could play a school that has a slightly larger or slightly smaller high school population than yours. If you have proof that a school is mis-reporting their high school population, you should contact mshsaa immediately.

-- Posted by BobBone on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:36 PM
  • Perryville averages 2.14 wins per season over the last seven years, overall their record is 15-50 thats a 23% win percentage. I said they may miss out on a handful of skill type players but I do not think their overall "slump" is due to soccer. Im sure a few soccer players may make skilled receivers or possibly a quarterback or two. Soccer however does not have anything to do with a lack of big strong lineman that other schools with soccer seem to have. A large win/loss deficit of this caliber is due more to a lack of interest in football period in that community most likely due to a lack of success at young ages. This is brought on by possibly not running offenses or schemes that fit that group of kids the best. So you can sit back and blame soccer all you want but it comes down to the kids choosing other things over football. Soccer players are a small percentage of kids in that school that do not play football.

-- Posted by CodeRed on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 12:55 PM
  • nose56: how do you know this?

-- Posted by taxpayer parent on Wed, Mar 15, 2017, at 1:22 PM
  • Oh good gosh Mr. Bob! Spin it how ever you want and put words in someone's mouth. let me clarify your ramblings with 2 simple questions and then I'm done in this post:

Does Farmington school DISTRICT have 1000 more kids than any neighboring school DISTRICT in their class?

Is Farmington the largest class 4 school (HIGH SCHOOL population) in this area?

That's all it boils down too - that was my point - sorry if you took offense.

-- Posted by thatDude on Thu, Mar 16, 2017, at 11:41 AM
  • No, Cape is the largest Class 4 around here.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 6:48 AM

No, Cape is the largest Class 4 around here.

-- Posted by Boogin77 on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 6:48 AMReport comment

Sorry not true. Farmington is biggest in SEMO area at 1143, Hillsboro 2nd at 1140, Cape 3rd at 1100

-- Posted by NewTigerFan on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 8:19 AM

Feel the burn Boogin. You are a fountain of alternative facts.

-- Posted by CoachKent on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 8:23 AM
  • Windsor has a decent track team

-- Posted by grizzliesfan348 on Mon, Mar 20, 2017, at 10:07 AM
  • Heard Ford is Freddy's new Football Coach!

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Wed, Mar 22, 2017, at 7:32 AM
  • People are saying soccer doesn't take many kids, but it doesn't take many kids to make a difference.

If you lose 2 to 3 skilled kids per class, that is significant for schools like North County.

How many kids start playing soccer down in the first grade, become really good at it, stay with it and never play football?

You are not just losing a couple of kids who have played and choose not to in order to play football, you lose kids who never played because they have an alternative.

I can promise you NC has lost kids over the years and I know Farmington has lost perhaps more.

I am sure the same happens at Cape, Jackson, elsewhere. It doesn't happen at Ste. Gen, PHC, Potosi, and schools that don't have soccer.

Poor Fredericktown has definitely cut their athletes thin and it hurts their football.

Any coincidence that Kennett dropped soccer and football got a little better?

-- Posted by BTIndians on Wed, Mar 22, 2017, at 8:13 AM
  • Hiring Ford isn't gonna help either BT

-- Posted by Bleed Green 2 on Wed, Mar 22, 2017, at 8:25 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: