Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: BRL Tourney....

Posted by Sportsnut75 on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 12:29 PM:

Anyone catch the Ellington Whippets blow through the Black River League Tourney last week to take first place over South Iron??

Replies (15)

• It's a good year to move to Ellington.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 1:03 PM
  • what were the scores?

-- Posted by lhs06 on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 1:40 PM
  • They smoked Clearwater, don't remember the score. Then beat SI 75-50 to win the championship.

-- Posted by Sportsnut75 on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 2:06 PM
  • Is South Iron very good?

-- Posted by lhs06 on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 4:11 PM

I took in the semi-finals and finals of that tournament.South Iron had a buzzer beater over Van buren in the semi-finals fun game to watch.But South Iron is totally rebuilding this year so they are not what you would call a good team!With that being said Ellington is those who think Ellington isn't going to be a tough out in class 2 is not paying attention.I have seen all the contenders to get to columbia and they fit right in with all of them could beat all of them on a given night!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Jan 25, 2016, at 8:59 PM
  • What does South Iron have this year porchswing?

-- Posted by lhs06 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 7:08 AM
  • Ellington has trouble playing teams out the the area. They played Hartville and Iberia earlier this season and the final scores wasn't pretty. They may have trouble after districts.

-- Posted by Sportsnut75 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 7:16 AM
  • They may have troubles in Districts. I don't think Valle is going to go easy for them.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 7:53 AM
  • Valle is well coached but they don't have the weapons this year they did last. The Basler kid is very good, the thing that will help Valle is that they can physically match up against the size of Ellington. They have a few kids fairly tall but with their football background they are strong.

-- Posted by lhs06 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 9:04 AM
  • In my years of watching the BRL Tourney, this must be to worst year as far as talent is concerned. I truly believe that Ellington is a really good group, but the over talent from teams 2-7 were Awful!!!

-- Posted by zebra.stripe on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 10:39 AM
  • That is part of being in a small school conference. Some years are down and some are up just how it goes.

-- Posted by lhs06 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 10:47 AM

Zebra stripe,I agree that the brl is way down this year compared to years past after ellington.That's why you saw a totally rebuilding team in South iron make it to the finals made it based off of program tradition alone IMO!For those who think Ellington isn't any good because they lost big to Iberia and Hartville better re-think that position IMO Iberia has a very big team like 6'7 and 6'10 and very skilled and Hartville if you have watched that bunch play think right with Sikeston.I don't believe SCC,Bloomfield,South Pem,Thayer and Valle are as good as those teams!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 10:55 AM

Ihs06,South Iron is way down from the last 5 years but they have a couple of sophmores and a couple of freshman that may in time make some quality players.Several Juniors that are decent but not where upper classmen for south iron would normally be IMO!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 10:58 AM
  • Porchswing, i agree with you completely on all levels..

-- Posted by zebra.stripe on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 11:02 AM
  • i think the only thing that could hurt Ellington, is their strength of schedule... outside of the two teams that beat them 30, they really play nobody!

-- Posted by zebra.stripe on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 11:03 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: