Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: SCAA Tournament Seeding

Posted by Semoball68 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 6:20 AM:

In order Woodland, Dexter,Bloomfield, Advance, Bell City, Puxico, Bernie and Richland

Replies (70)

• Is the seeding meeting today?

As of now, the overall/conference records are:

Advance (12-2, 4-1)

Bell City (11-5, 3-1)

Bernie (2-11, 0-4)

Bloomfield (12-3, 2-1)

Dexter (6-8, 3-1)

Puxico (5-10, 0-2)

Richland (0-12, 0-5)

Woodland (12-3, 3-0)

-- Posted by The Legend on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 6:58 AM

There has already been another thread started about it but it was bumped off the main page. The meeting was yesterday. The official seeds are correct above.

1. Woodland

2. Dexter

3. Bloomfield

4. Advance

5. Bell City

6. Puxico

7. Bernie

8. Richland

The seed meeting was yesterday.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 7:49 AM
  • Anywhere to see a bracket, cker23?

-- Posted by The Legend on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 7:51 AM

I haven't seen one yet. I'll try to dig one up.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 8:04 AM
  • Thanks, friend! The tournament is at Dexter this year, too, right?

-- Posted by The Legend on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 8:12 AM

Yes it is. Kind of stinks because the statesmen usually has a pretty good write up on it as well as the bracket. See where the statesmen shutting down puts a damper on SCAA teams? Mostly Bloomfield, Puxico, Richland, Dexter and Bernie. Woodland Advance Bell City get most of their coverage from the Semissourian.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 8:20 AM

Legend I couldn't find an actual bracket but if you go to showmetimes.com, you will see a small story on it but it does include the game times and who is playing who. I hope this helps. I tried posting the link but it wouldn't let me.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 8:41 AM
  • -- Posted by SportsFan1001 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 10:10 AM
  • Here is the Varsity Bracket from showmetimes.com.

http://showmetimes.com/Blogpost/v3d2

-- Posted by SportsFan1001 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 10:45 AM

Thanks sportsfan1001!

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 10:52 AM
  • Wow! Never thought Advance to be a 4 seed in this trny! Any thoughts? Something I'm missing?

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 2:43 PM
  • What teams gave Advance their 2 loses?

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 2:45 PM

woodland alumni 1979,I believe Bloomfield pretty easy and christmas tourney close!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 3:21 PM
  • Bloomfield beat them at home. Bloomfield wanted that one more. Then advance lost by a few points to Charelston at the cmas tourney. I'm surprised Bloomfield got ahead of them since they have lost a couple in a row. The seeds play in bloomfields favor. It will be tough to beat them 3 times

-- Posted by Basketballjunkie on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 3:54 PM

It will be an exciting tourney. Bell City could be a sleeper in this honestly. Advance beat them by 12 in the Christmas tourney. Never know what will happen!

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 3:58 PM

I would say that this conference is one of the toughest this year in southeast mo. Along with the SEMO conference and probably the MAAA.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 4:03 PM
  • If you want a bracket for the varsity go to the showmetimes.com website. They have it up today. They also have text alerts now for sports and you can sign up on their website.

-- Posted by SportsFan1001 on Sun, Jan 17, 2016, at 4:28 PM
  • Advance lost a regular-season conference match to Bloomfield 59-42 on December 18 and then fell to Charleston 72-68 in the quarterfinals of the Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament.

Thanks for the bracket, cker23 and SportsFan1001!

-- Posted by The Legend on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 1:33 AM

Any key conference matchup's this week?? Woodland has gamea @ Bell City Tuesday and @ Bloomfield Friday.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 9:39 AM
  • Dexter JV should win their respective bracket. Bloomfield will have it hands full with Dexter the second round being at the BEC. Dexter has proven it can beat Bloomfield twice on Bloomfields court. I think Dexter will make sure it doesn't happen on their court. That being said, the winner of the Dexter/Bloomfield matchup is fighting for 2nd as I see woodland taking this tournament by 15+

-- Posted by semolian on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 10:49 AM

It's hard to beat the same team three times in a row when the teams are evenly matched. It's debatable whether or not Dexter and Bloomfield are evenly matched but in my opinion they are for the most part. Bloomfield has not played to it's potential while competing against Dexter. For some reason it appears the Bloomfield players are intimidated by Dexter, they shouldn't be.

-- Posted by hookshot62 on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 1:51 PM
  • Thanks for the info on Advance Legend.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Mon, Jan 18, 2016, at 5:43 PM
  • Assuming the games aren't postponed due to the winter weather we are predicted to get tomorrow, other SCAA Conference games tonight:

Bernie at Bloomfield

Dexter at Puxico

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 19, 2016, at 4:24 AM

Tourney starts tomorrow. Varsity and JV. Woodland JV plays at 4, Woodland varsity plays Richland at 5:30. A JV game at 7PM and then Dexter Varsity plays Bernie at 8:30 PM.

-- Posted by cker23 on Sun, Jan 24, 2016, at 10:47 PM

Tonight games:

JV: #4 Advance Vs. #5 Puxico 5 PM

V : #3 Bloomfield Vs. #6 Puxico 6:30

V : #4 Advance Vs. #5 Bell City 8 PM

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 9:17 AM
  • Advance Puxico score?

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 9:00 PM

Advance won the JV game. Idk the score.

Bloomfield beats Puxico 71-51

Advance beats Bell City 96-82. Bell city led 48-42 at the half.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 26, 2016, at 10:54 PM
  • Will be a good rest of the week in Dexter, for the SCAA crown.

Thursday Night :

Bloomfield vs Dexter

Advance vs Woodland

Then Friday night losers play for 3rd, Winners for championship. 2 fun nights, no matter what the outcome is.

-- Posted by Hightops on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 8:55 AM

Those 4 teams have a combined record of 50-17. That says a lot about this conference this year.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 9:19 AM
  • I didnt realize that cker23, but that is impressive. And some of those losses have been to each other.

-- Posted by Hightops on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 9:30 AM

Yeah six of them actually and 7 of the 11 remaining losses come from one team. The SCAA is as tough as any conference in SEMO this year.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 10:55 AM
  • The SCAA is where it usually is with regards to conference rankings. The SEMO and Bootheel are usually the top two conferences with the SCAA right behind. There have been years where the SCAA and Bootheel were basically a wash. I'd say this year you'd still have to give the edge to the Bootheel. If you take Caruthersville, South Pem, Kennett and Malden I think most would agree that foursome is better than Woodland, Dexter, Bloomfield and Advance. Although it's pretty dang close really.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 1:03 PM
  • Bloomfield and Dexter are evenly matched, and even Puxico held Bloomfields biggest scorer to nearly nothing. He had like 1 or 2 fgs in the whole game, and Puxico is super weak this year. Neither Bloomfield or Dexter should finish high, but if either do it will be dexter because their sophomore saved the upperclassmen who have failed to put up anything impressive in the last 4 years. Puxico couldn't be more weak and had bloomfield within 5 points a few minutes before halftime. Bloomfield won't be able to hang with good teams, and unless dexters underclassmen step up they'll have the same 4 they've had for years, barely beating and sometimes losing to teams 1/8 their size.

-- Posted by SCAAfan on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 7:10 PM
  • Puxico just got stomped by Bernie

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 8:07 PM
  • SCAAfan, sounds like you're fishing for debate so I'll cast my line in the water-Bloomfield has 3 losses. They have wins over Advance(who has 2 wins over SCC), Woodland(who won AT Jackson), and South Pemiscot(who recently beat NMCC) among others. It's not that Bloomfield, or any team for that matter, has to hang with good teams. It's their defense, and long possessions that slows fast teams down. Dexter has beaten them twice, so I think that says a lot about Dexter as well. Bloomfield gets intimidated or some mental block when it comes to playing Dexter. Not sure why, they look even to me, but Bloomfield's team seems to get outplayed against Dexter.

-- Posted by semolian on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 9:29 PM
  • SCAAfan, might want to rethink your fractions.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Wed, Jan 27, 2016, at 10:38 PM

What's with all the B-field hate?? 16-3 with wins over all top seeds and playing in the county championship... Every loss there's something on here saying they're all hype and when they win there's nothing... hmm...

-- Posted by mistermiyagi on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 7:49 AM
  • I was there last night, the 2 varsity games were as good a games as you will ever want to see. Bloomfield and Dexter both played hard. Woodland and Advance went into OT, some fantastic games. Now tonight it all starts over again. Advance and Dexter for 3rd. Bloomfield and Woodland for Championship. Should be another great night, cant wait.

-- Posted by Hightops on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 8:11 AM
  • We need video of that JV game debacle!!!!!!!

-- Posted by Classof93 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 8:36 AM
  • Speaking of that fight. Since the players got thrown out for throwing ounches, do they have to set tonight ? We have been discussing this , I think they do , anyone know for sure?

-- Posted by Hightops on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 8:42 AM

Um I think they might have to. I know the one that got ejected from dexter will for sure! Was he the only player ejected?

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 8:53 AM
  • No the boy from Advance was also, I saw them both being excorted to the locker room.

-- Posted by Hightops on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 8:58 AM

OK then I think neither can play the next game. Generally, in my days coaches would add another game or two to their suspension back in my day. I think Mshsaa hands out a one game suspension if a player or coach is ejected if I'm not mistaken. Honestly, regardless of who's fault it was/is, I would tact on another game at least and run them in practice. It was uncalled for by both kids. 40 seconds left in the game and a team was up by 14. Its pitiful and uncalled for.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:03 AM

You see, these are JV kids. So you teach them while they are young. Throw the book at them now and more than likely it won't happen again. Just my opinion guys.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:05 AM

You see, these are JV kids. So you teach them while they are young. Throw the book at them now and more than likely it won't happen again. Just my opinion guys.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:05 AM

Tough night for Advance. They did not play well at all. Give credit to Woodland. Their length really helped them over Advance. Credit to the Long kid to really winning the battle on the boards.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 10:50 AM
  • I didn't think either one of those teams played well (Advance/Woodland). Woodland doesn't know how to play with a lead and Advance didn't get good looks late.

-- Posted by Classof93 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 11:00 AM
  • Any player or coach who is ejected from a game, per MSHSAA rules will have to sit out the next contest. Been that way for a long time. Some schools will go further if they choose. Usually emabarassing to coaches or players involved, or it should be. IMO

-- Posted by semo ref on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 11:11 AM
  • Agree with classof98. Woodland looked timid with the ball at times. Woodland also shot a season low of 38%. Long is a beast rebounding for his size. Beel had a slow game for him, credit Advance.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 12:57 PM
  • Long is very active around the basket, he has to because the 6-7 and 6-6 guys hang around the 3 point line to much. What a waste of post players especially in Stoddard county competition.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 3:49 PM
  • I too wonder why the two big men are outside of the lanes. But I guess Woodland thinks that Long 6'2 and Young 6'4 can handle smaller teams bigs. Plus both Woodland bigs are 50% plus 3 shooters. It is very debatable.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 4:36 PM
  • Any predictions or comments about the two varsity games tonight?

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 4:39 PM

SEMO's Rick Ray in attendance tonight to watch Zach Beel. Third time this year SEMO has been out to watch him. 2nd time by Rick Ray himself.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 8:01 PM
  • Sadly, Coach Ray is seeing Vandiver take Beel to school tonight. But hopefully he'll recruit them both. Bloomfield leads Woodland 41-30 with 4:34 left in the 3rd.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:23 PM
  • The JV Championship Game was one of the best games of the season. Dexter beat Bernie in OT with a buzzer beater from half-court!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:25 PM
  • Bloomfield 50, Woodland 32, end of 3.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:32 PM
  • Bloomfield opens up a 20 point lead over Woodland 56-36 with 6:23 left to play.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:39 PM
  • Nice alley oop dunk by Beel. But the lone highlight of the game for Woodland.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:44 PM
  • Bloomfield 71, Woodland 50 with :40 to play. Great game tonight by the Wildcats!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:52 PM
  • Bloomfield 73, Woodland 58, final score. Congrats to the Wildcats!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 9:56 PM
  • All-Tournament Team:

1. Noah Vandiver, Bloomfield

2. Zachary Beel, Woodland

3. Dawson Mayo, Advance

4. Ethan Flowers, Dexter

5. Michael McCormick, Woodland

6. Gabe Jackson, Dexter

7. Tim Hector, Bloomfield

8. Cole Nichols, Bell City

9. Nathan Newell, Bloomfield

10. Preston Woebker, Advance

11. Jake Long, Woodland

12. Jason Jarrell, Dexter

Team Cheerleading Award went to Dexter. Congrats to all these outstanding athletes.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 10:03 PM
  • Thanks PMF, for the updates. Wish I could have seen the shot to win the JV title. Heard it was a good one. If I'm not mistaken Bell City won the JV crown like that in regulation a couple years ago. That just goes to show ya that SCAA conference is tough and on any night it's who wants it more. Now Advance, Woodland, and Bloomfield need to start thinking about that next tournament. High hopes for hoops in this conference.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 10:16 PM
  • If vandiver and beel play for Semo hopefully its a preferred walk on position, like Kyle stroder, Jacob tolbert, type of deal. Just not sold on a scholly spot

-- Posted by superunbiased on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 10:47 PM

Have to give credit to Bloomfield. They outplayed woodland on every level. They will do well in Class 2.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 10:51 PM

Also, had Vandiver down for 23 and Beel for 31 points.

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 29, 2016, at 10:52 PM
  • If Beel and Vandiver are at Semo I hope it's as a walk-on.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 10:48 AM
  • BIGLEW and superunbiased, just curious, what are your issues with schollys.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 11:25 AM
  • Mines because they aren't good enough to help Semo get better so why would you waste a scolly on them.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 7:33 PM
  • Im not knocking their talent at all, its the same as you thinking they are worth scholarships when strode and tolbert werent. And they were both pretty dominant hs players for our area. And some could argue that they were better. But they werent going to be the stars on semos team, and neither of them panned out. Which unfortunately has happened with most of our areas talent lately that ends up at semo. We have a freshman at semo who is giving significant minutes from oak hill academy, making an instant impact, which they need right now and who we should be using scholarships for and on. If they are going to be on the team, have them walk on and improve to be a role player later in their career. But why do that when you could go juco, start, then just come back? But that's just my two cents, and they are talented. Still have to finish this season and after a big game im sure that's not what they are worried about

-- Posted by superunbiased on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 7:59 PM
  • Thanks for clearing that up, guess I have to agree.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sat, Jan 30, 2016, at 10:05 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: