Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: FINAL....67-3 !!!

Posted by indian73 on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 8:01 PM:

Oran defeated Delta 67-3 today in semo Christmas tournament. Something bout this just doesn't seem right. Understand that Delta is on something like a 53 game losing streak. Obviously the program is struggling. I mean..could this total humiliation of a high school opponent been avoided. Any thoughts or facts from the game.

Replies (58)

• Yes. It could have been avoided!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 8:13 PM
  • How many shots did Delta take?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 8:17 PM
  • Sure it could have been avoided. Oran could have stood at the half line, played no defense, and let them score each possession. Truth is Oran has 8 players and he rotated in the first quarter, didn't keep pressing. Maybe the committee will give each player on each team a trophy for being a hero. They don't have a 50+ game losing streak for nothing.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 9:05 PM
  • 3 pts thats crazy. I mean cone on. I didnt see game but oran must of kept heat on all game.

-- Posted by Murphdogg on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 9:09 PM
  • I watched the first half of this game and Oran stopped pressing after they got up by 30 and delta just couldn't score

-- Posted by Tigerforlife on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 9:45 PM
  • As a coach, what do you tell your players?

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 10:19 PM

They should replace delta in this tourney

-- Posted by gunn1217 on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 10:39 PM
  • The teams in the Southeast Missourian Christmas Tournament all own a piece of it. It's not an invitational. Delta can't be kicked out by the other teams.

But something is seriously wrong with Delta's basketball program. I understand they're a very small school. Still, for a varsity team to only score 3 points against the 9th seeded team is mind-boggling. Are these boys being taught the basics of the game? Are they coming in to shoot before school? Are they playing summer ball? Can anyone from Delta give us any insights?

I don't mean any of this to be interpreted as a criticism of the Delta players or coaches. I'm positive they're all doing the best they can. I'm just asking some questions and trying to understand what's going on in Delta.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 10:52 PM
  • Delta scored 27 on Jackson in the first round. How did that happen versus what happened today?

Hint! It has nothing to do with the press!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 10:53 PM
  • Let's use some common sense people.

Delta is really bad.

Oran kept the heat on all game? Come on. Seriously? Surely you understand that had Oran kept the heat on all game they would have scored close to 100.

I get sick of people using words like humiliation. The kids from Delta certainly know that they wil likely lose most of their games. They obviously have not invested much time in trying to improve their skills outside of basketball season. The opponent isn't responsible for the other teams feelings when it comes to competition. I don't condone full court pressing in this situation, but the kids on the bench have a right to compete as hard as possible when given opportunities in games like this.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 10:56 PM

Delta has a very good 8th grade team that will be moving up next year. But, then they will only be freshmen.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:03 PM
  • Delta may not expect to win, but that doesn't mean they can't be humiliated.

My honest question is how hard did Oran guard in the half court and how many threes did they take/make??

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:07 PM
  • I can answer part of my own question.

Oran made 8 threes in the Delta game......

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:18 PM
  • It's just lost with so many people today.

It's obvious by the point total that Oran did nothing to humiliate Delta. 67 points, for crying out loud. That's not terribly high considering how bad Delta is.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:19 PM
  • +64 with 8 made three pointers.

Im not lost!!

But I hope you can find your way!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:32 PM
  • This is so stupid. I guess Oran should have told there kids to not play defense and just stand there and let them score. I believe Oran has a very young team anyways, not exactly what you should tell a young group that shoemaker is trying to make better.

-- Posted by Sports guy on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:40 PM
  • This is hilarious. A team scores 67 when they obviously could've scored whatever they wanted. They call the press off after they get up 30. What do you people want them to do? Stand at halfcourt with their hands tied behind their backs?

-- Posted by Gimme a bag of corn on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:44 PM
  • I agree, Hoopster. Some people are just clueless. 67 points divide by 4 quarters is roughly 16.5 points per quarter. Whoa nilly. That's a high powered attack right there. Oran could've easily scored 85.

Indianpride, your logic is flawed. Who cares how many 3s Oran made?

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:46 PM
  • Tell them that there is a bigger picture than winning a HS basketball game 67-3!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:47 PM
  • No flawed logic here!

Jackson beat Delta 82-27.

Oran beat Delta 67-3.

Are you seriously going to say Oran's defense is better than Jackson's?

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:52 PM
  • here we go with the whole "you're scarring them for life because they lost by 60.

Of course there is a bigger picture. All the more reason to not be concerned with this. The kids from Delta, if nothing else, will be toughened up some for dealing with adversity. Besides, they don't much care, I promise, because if they did, they would spend more time trying to improve themselves.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:53 PM
  • Your ridiculous! So when Jackson beats somebody 35-0 in football they should let the other team score so they feel better about themselves.

-- Posted by Sports guy on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:54 PM
  • I believe you can offensively embarrass somebody but on the defense side that's a new one for me in any sport.

-- Posted by Sports guy on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:56 PM
  • The comparison of the two scores is ridiculous because you don't know the particulars.

Maybe Delta was hot that night and made a few shots?

Maybe they missed many open shots against Oran?

It has nothing to do with which team plays better defense. You simply don't understand what you're talking about.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:57 PM
  • Jackson football and Jackson Basketball are completely different entities!

Im sure Oran's confidence to win the rest of their games was boosted, and the Delta kids will all be better for the experience!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 28, 2015, at 11:59 PM
  • Actually, Im just gonna throw in the towel on this one!

This whole HS basketball thing is new to me so I don't think I can win this argument!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 12:08 AM
  • ^^^^^^^^^^^

It shows

-- Posted by Gimme a bag of corn on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 12:31 AM
  • This may not be the positive reinforcement these kiddos are looking for, but I'm 100% sure I could've scored more than 3 points by myself. If the kids can't knock down shots, then my view is sorry pal, sucks to suck. Take the ball and go practice, maybe next year!

-- Posted by Bill Shakespeare on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 12:31 AM
  • Oran obviously played better defense against them than Jackson. I think IndianPride is #42's mom.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 12:56 AM
  • Lol half the people in this forum must be new to Semoball forums to not know how well known and respected IndianPride is.

-- Posted by semoballuser on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 1:30 AM
  • IP is definitely not a mom and he does know basketball. I would like to know how many shots that Delta tried and missed. If they scored 27 points against Jackson then why could they only score 3? Everyone was cold or what? Hey IP now I'm thinking this logic could work for football so next year when we are scoreless and ya are beating us bad go explain this to the coach please I hate being humiliated when I leave Jackson during football. 😀😀

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 7:17 AM

Athletics/competition is about match-ups/strengths & weaknesses vs strengths & weaknesses...Ex: The Warriors lost to the Bucks yet beat the Cavs...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 7:53 AM
  • Thank you semoballuser!

And LOL TFA! I will see what I can do with Coach Eckley!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 7:54 AM
  • TFA is exactly right. Jackson has destroyed people in football in the past and continued to score. 67 points is NOT a lot of points for a high school game. I wouldn't press the whole game but I sure as hell would play half court defense. This is high school sports.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 10:40 AM
  • All this could be stopped if they had a rule in basketball like in baseball. In baseball the ten run rule after 5 innings ends the ball game. In basketball once in the second half and a team is up by 40 in the 3rd quarter or 30 in the 4th quarter the game should be ended. People when one team is up by that many points the game is really over. The only thing your doing is feeding the leading teams ego by cheering them on while humiliating the losing team. Adding on to a player stats and coaches ego is not the way basketball games are mean to be played. Stop the game once the outcome of the game is know. Nothing is learned from either side with lopsided wins

-- Posted by bobma2000 on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 12:54 PM
  • Why do teams even press Delta?

-- Posted by Cottontop on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 1:50 PM
  • Thats a great point Cottontop.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 4:17 PM
  • Bobma2000 that has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard in my life.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 4:17 PM
  • Bobma2000 that has to be the dumbest idea I've ever heard in my life.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 4:17 PM
  • Like I have said for years. Split the seeds in half and have 2 tournaments.

Everyone wins this way and you don't have these terrible scores.

-- Posted by rodanderson999@gmail.com on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 4:35 PM
  • red dawg, correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't oran and delta both have been in the bottom 8, thus in the same bracket.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 6:10 PM

Maybe we should have 8 tournaments and award 1st and 2nd place trophies?

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 6:19 PM
  • ^^^^^^^

Hahaha that's great!

-- Posted by Gimme a bag of corn on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 6:24 PM

So Ozzy, you're not a fan of the baseball rule?

-- Posted by Jolly Dump on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 6:51 PM
  • A basketball game will end its called a clock, a baseball game could go on for days!

-- Posted by HOLYCOWMAN on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 7:35 PM
  • I agree. Time will eventually run out in a basketball game. Baseball games can drag on for 3 hours. So the run rule is applicable in that sport.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 7:41 PM

Technically, I do not believe anything was done wrong. Pretty sure it is each team's job to stop the other team, instead of one team having to stop themselves to help out the other team. I also like the comment made earlier about how the kids at the end of the bench that play when the game is out of hand, have just as much right to compete and play hard as the starters did. What's the purpose of putting bench players in who never get to play if they can't actually play? If you're gonna make them stand around to not embarass the other team, you might as well have left the starters in.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 9:11 PM
  • ozzy&harriet Apparently you've never been on the losing end of a game when you're down by 40 with a whole quarter to play. Nobody or no team wants to be the Washington Senator while the Harlem Globetrotters run around showboating for their parents at the price of humiliating the losing team. OK if you don't want to end the game then lower the 4th quarter to 4 minutes instead of 8 minutes or 3 minutes if the score is larger The game is over.

-- Posted by bobma2000 on Tue, Dec 29, 2015, at 9:54 PM
  • Didn't the Globetrotters beat the Generals while the Yankees beat the Senators?

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 2:57 AM
  • In the 4th qtr with a running clock it seems like 4 minutes.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 7:39 AM
  • 4 minutes feels like eternity when your losing by 40+ points and the other team still has their starters in the game.....ala Bell City when David Heeb was their coach. I still hate that douche!

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 8:30 AM
  • I did not see the game, but there are ways to allow the boys to play and still not be an embarrassment. I believe everyone would agree the problem was not with the 67 points scored, but with the 3 points scored. Some of the previous posts states that they should play the same way because the bench needs playing time...that is a pile of crap...they only have a very small bench and they see plenty of playing time. Second, one can play hard defense, but still give the other team a chance to score. Now that I have said that, Oran normally is very well coached but in this case, I don't believe what was done was right. And for the football comparisons, one does not continue to blitz and run special packages when they are up 49-0...if they do, they are wrong!

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 9:10 AM

Oran played Delta one week before the Christmas Tournament and the score was 75-27. Delta played Jackson in the opening round of the Christmas Tournament and the score was 82-27. Delta opened their season against SCC and the score was 84-18, 61-29 against Meadow Heights. I guess my point is, Delta is not a high scoring team, but they normally do score a few points. If you watched the Oran/Delta game, you would know that there were plenty of opportunities for them to shoot the ball and attempt to score but they didn't. The SEMO Womens basketball team was there cheering them on, urging them to shoot the ball, yet they never did. Come on people, you have to at least put the ball in the air in order to have any chance of scoring points. This is definitely a coaching problem, but not with the Oran coach or the coach of any other team that only allows 3 points to a team that never shoots the ball.

-- Posted by OranFan on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 10:16 AM
  • Bobma2000-I have been on the losing side of things plenty of times. Each time that occurred I was instructed to work harder, suck it up and get better. It's people like you who want to baby our kids because they might get humiliated that actually are responsible for the softness in our society today. A little humiliation every now and then can sometimes lead to motivation which can lead to improvement,

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 1:52 PM
  • Oran has nothing to be ashamed of. Pay no attention to these Democrats on here who are running their mouths. Keep up the good work and keep playing hard.

-- Posted by butkus on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 4:16 PM
  • I don't think it was fair for Chaffee to slow the game down against Oran. Oran likes to run but Chaffee took too much time with their possession and took Oran out of their game. The higher seed should be allowed to set the tempo they want and the opponent must play to that tempo. This made for a boring game and I feel cheated. My feelings are hurt too. Shame on Chaffee.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 5:12 PM
  • I'm sorry but that's funny. Oran just needed to steal the ball and put it back up to their speed. People try to slow a lot of these fast teams down but they always seem to make the game go back to the up tempo.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Dec 30, 2015, at 5:45 PM
  • "Oran has nothing to be ashamed of. Pay no attention to these Democrats on here who are running their mouths." Excellent quote from a guy who goes by butkus. That's because he knows butkus and has to get political because he feels so lonely living in his parent's basement. It must be difficult and lonely thinking you're the coolest person on the forums.

-- Posted by exzalmanian on Thu, Dec 31, 2015, at 12:36 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: