Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: How About Some Rankings

Posted by semo2014 on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:11 PM:

My top 5

1. Notre Dame (they have beaten the best and haven't lost since December).

2. Scott County Central (beat Sikeston).

3. Sikeston (lost to #1 & #2 on my list).

4. NMCC (very hot right now).

5. Poplar Bluff (would have been Central if the could have beat Jackson)

Now I'm interested to see everyone else's so please respond.

Replies (41)

I like your rankings!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:14 PM
  • Thank You

-- Posted by semo2014 on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:17 PM
  • Nice rankings bball2010. I would have to agree!

-- Posted by mandm96 on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:24 PM
  • It's no fun if everyone agrees! :)

-- Posted by Rachel Crader on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:25 PM
  • I know right! haha

-- Posted by semo2014 on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:28 PM

i like alot!! where would u put kennett at bball?? curious

-- Posted by lilbigboy on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:30 PM
  • I'm not very well versed with teams that far south sorry. One team who I would put close to my top 5 is Leolpold though they seem to be getting it done.

-- Posted by semo2014 on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:33 PM

I think kennet is a solid 6.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 10, 2010, at 11:35 PM
  • I disagree LOL.

1. Notre Dame

2. Scott County Central

3. Sikeston

4. Poplar Bluff

5. NMCC

With this being said . . . this may all change again if Dexter beats Notre Dame Saturday, Kennett beats Poplar Bluff Monday and Sikeston beats Notre Dame to win Class 4 District 1. Yes, everything I have listed above could happen. This season indicates no team can stay high in the rankings very long. And history repeats itself my friends.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Feb 11, 2010, at 12:04 AM
  • Hey drawmules...Next Tuesday's game between NMCC and Sikeston could also change these rankings. It may also be for the SEMO Conference title as long as NMCC takes care of Jackson Friday night. That will be a tough one at Jackson but if they take care of business the NMCC/Sikeston game has a little bit of meaning.

-- Posted by coachpanther on Thu, Feb 11, 2010, at 8:21 AM
  • coachpanther

I agree.

-- Posted by drawmules on Thu, Feb 11, 2010, at 10:19 AM
  • i agree except i would flip flop NMCC and PB since we just beat them last week

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Feb 11, 2010, at 11:54 AM
  • Yea now that i think about it Bluff and NMCC should be switched

-- Posted by semo2014 on Thu, Feb 11, 2010, at 3:22 PM
  • I DISAGREE 1 SCC 2 POPLAR BLUFF 3 ND 4 NMCC 5 SIKESTON

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 9:25 PM
  • LOL

What about Cape Central? They beat Poplar Bluff, Notre Dame and Sikeston.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 9:28 PM
  • ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE WITH CAPE IS THEY HAVE SOME BAD BEATS

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 9:40 PM
  • ON ANY GIVEN NITE A TEAM CAN GET BEAT,WITH THAT SAID THERE HAS BEEN ALOT OF THESE TEAMS WINNING OR LOOSING BY SINGLE DIGITS AND THAT MAKES IT REALLY HARD TO PREDICT THESE SEEDINGS BUT I WOULD GO WITH 1 SCC 2POLPAR BLUFF 3 ND 4 COULD BE SIKESTON OR NMCC NEXT WEEK WILL TELL ON THAT 6 CAPE THEY COULD BE HIGHER BUT SOME BAD BEATS EARLIER IN THE SEASON HURTS THEM

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 9:53 PM
  • IM PROUD OF EVERY TEAM IN SOUTH EAST MISSOURI I WANT SEMO TO BE AT STATE AT ALL CLASSES SHOW HOW GOOD WE ARE DOWN HERE

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 9:55 PM
  • WHAT WOULD BE YOUR RANKINGS DRAWMULES

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 9:58 PM
  • drawmules will have new Top 25 rankings later tonight . . . with everything that has happened I think waiting until March 1 to provide new rankings is too long.

Here is what has happened since Feb. 1: Scott County Central beat Sikeston; Cape Central beat Poplar Bluff; Sikeston beat Poplar Bluff; Jackson beat Cape Central; NMCC beat Jackson; Poplar Bluff beat Notre Dame; Caruthersville beat Portageville; Cape Central beat Sikeston; Scott County Central beat NMCC; Notre Dame beat Cape Central.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:02 PM
  • kmasters says Cape Central has some "bad beats" and I agree. But how many of those "bad beats" were early in the year? Any recently? Should some of those "bad beats" be discounted because they were early?

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:04 PM
  • Rankings around midnight. I am waiting on some score reports from other games, specifically the Clearwater / Twin Rivers game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:05 PM
  • IT COULD TROLL BUT I LOOK AT STRENGHT OF SCHEDULE ALSO. AND THIS IS MY PICKS EVERBODY IS GOING TO DISAGREE THATS WHAT MAKES THIS WONDERFUL LAND WE LIVE IN SO SPECIAL.WHAT WOULD BE YOUR PICKS?

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:08 PM
  • troll

I think Cape Central has an outstanding coach and players extremely motivated to play basketball. I wrote earlier this year that they must be doing something right in Cape Central. They made it to the finals of a 16 team tournament as a 6 seed. They also have wins against three of the best teams in the area.

Cape Central is getting the most out of their talent and they deserve a top 5 ranking and they probably deserved a No. 1 seed in their district.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:13 PM
  • I JUST WONDER WHY SCC,LEOPOLD,OR OTHER SMALL SCHOOLS DONT GET THE COVERAGE LIKE THE BIG SCHOOLS AROUND HERE????? AND YES IM ALITLLE BIAS AS BEING A SCC ALUMNI BUT YOU HAVE THE BEST GUARD IN THE AREA AND 1 OF THE BEST BIG MAN IN THE PAINT ON SCC AND YOU DONT SEE HARDLY ANY COVERAGE AND THATS SAD,13 STATE TITLES AND PROLLY NUMBER 14 THIS YEAR.BUT ALL YOU SEE IS COVERAGE ON THE BIG SCHOOLS.IS IT EVERYBODY EXPECTS SCC TO WIN EVERY GAME SO THEY DONT GET IT,UNLESS THEY PLAY SIKESTON,ND, REALLY DIDNT HAVE MUCH WHEN THEY PLAYED NEW MADRID EITHER OR ARE THE REPORTERS ALUMNI OF THESE BIG SCHOOLS AND THEY PICK TO COVER THERE GAMES....

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:20 PM
  • My pick would be that you quit the all caps. Please don't take offense....

drawmules studies this way more than I do. His picks are coming. But Central is interesting to me. They have, as you say, bad losses, but they also have great wins. An advocate of Central could probably put together a pretty good argument that they are improving greatly as the season goes along, and we all know how important it is to be playing well at the end of the year...A win in December is quickly forgotten if there is a loss in March.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:21 PM
  • troll

There is no good way to rank the Top 25 teams without making everyone upset LOL. I am trying to convince myself which team should be ranked above which team. I am having problems.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:25 PM
  • lol sorry bout that i wasnt paying any attention i changed it lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:25 PM
  • it will all change again and again before the season is over lol

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:26 PM
  • clearwater wins 69 to 65 over twin rivers

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:27 PM
  • I know a win is a win and a loss is a loss, and Cape picked up a big win tonight. But, Sikeston flat out shot themselves out of that game. 2/24 from behind the arc and 8/24 from the free throw line. That's not going to get it done no matter what team you play!

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:33 PM
  • hey draw who is your favorite team in each class to make it to state or have the best chances?

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:33 PM
  • class 1 scc class 2 bernie class 3 kennett(this was a hard one) class 4 nd and class 5 poplar bluff i know all wont go but thats my picks lets here everybody elses picks

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:38 PM
  • To me, the great thing is that there are so many teams who can claim credit. Seems very recently that everyone was sure Sikeston would smoke SCC. Doubt many thought Central would beat Sikeston.

So now we have SCC, PB, ND, Sikeston, Central, NMCC...who am I leaving out?? Lots of good teams playing well. Some supported Kennett. Dexter almost got them tonight. And there are others that believe that, given their chance, they could be up there.

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:40 PM
  • kmasters, go ahead and put ...........Class 1---SCC in ALL CAPS. That is a LOCK....

-- Posted by troll on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 10:52 PM
  • and troll yes it was a good win for cape but a lucky one sikeston didnt have their starter will hollifield spelling? playing tonite and he would of scored more than 7 points,

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 11:29 PM
  • kmasters

Predicting the favorites in each class is easier than ranking the teams in Southeast Missouri. I am unsure about Class 3. The other classes are less debateable.

Class 1: Scott County Central

Class 2: Bernie

Class 3: NMCC (the favorite from SEMO); it will be difficult for the SEMO team to get past the state quarterfinal game.

Class 4: Notre Dame; (the favorite from SEMO); most experts feel St. Francis Borgia will advance to state; I haven't watch Borgia play YET.

Class 5: Webster Groves

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 11:30 PM
  • no i said from the area with the best chances,,but i agree with what you got...

-- Posted by kmasters on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 11:34 PM
  • But I really don't know enough about Arcadia Valley to predict Class 3. Maybe Arcadia Valley is the best of the best in Class 3. But I won't sign off on this until I watch them play a game.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Feb 12, 2010, at 11:44 PM
  • All the people in the SEMO area should be very proud of their teams. Playing against each other "WIN or LOSE" is what makes the SEMO teams so good. So for the teams that make it out of the SEMO area good luck I'm sure you will represent our area very well!

-- Posted by DA#1OLDCAT on Sat, Feb 13, 2010, at 12:10 AM
  • This web site has the overall state ranking and a national ranking. www.maxpreps.com I do not know what the ranking is based on.

-- Posted by igobybob on Sat, Feb 13, 2010, at 8:57 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: