Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Twitter Account says Mizzou has offered Fred Thatch

Posted by Larry Doby on Mon, May 4, 2015, at 11:20 AM:

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout 8m8 minutes ago

Sikeston (MO) 2018 SG Fred Thatch @fred_thatch lands #Mizzou offer. Plays w @STLEaglesBBall 15U

Replies (35)

Congrats Fred!!! One of many offers to come.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Mon, May 4, 2015, at 11:55 AM
  • Heard he was dominating the AAU Circuit I wonder will he stay in Sikeston. I know the prep schools are all over him.

-- Posted by therealfan on Mon, May 4, 2015, at 12:08 PM
  • The Thatch's are well-connected in Sikeston and I would be very surprised if he didn't graduate a Bulldog. But congrats to Fred and his family! That's quite an honor for a freshman.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, May 4, 2015, at 5:41 PM

I think it was October last year when I mentioned in a semoball thread that this freshman was extra special and that he'd no doubt play major D1 basketball. I was crucified for even thinking it by many semoball "experts". They said he was too small! Someone mentioned that "no freshman is really ever a varsity impact". LOL I chose to rest my case because I know what I know and now many more know. By the way Mizzou more than likely won't stand a chance. That's why they're trying to make a relationship early. Thatch is Tarheel, Duke, etc level recruit. Best of luck to him!

-- Posted by JustSpeakingTheTruth on Tue, May 5, 2015, at 6:22 PM
  • It would be silly to think he'd have to go off to some prep school to increase his recruitability. Otto Porter and Tyler Hansbrough did just fine staying in SEMO.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Tue, May 5, 2015, at 6:43 PM
  • Well im just honestly speaking whats real. Greg played him as a post last year. Hes only going to hurt him as a player not playing him as a guard. Thats why I feel a prep school would be a better fit for him. Sorry but thats real talk.

-- Posted by therealfan on Tue, May 5, 2015, at 6:57 PM
  • Great for Fred, but let's not get too excited here JustSpeakingTheTruth. Kid has a looong way to go to be playing major D1 basketball. He's going to have to significantly improve his ball handling skills and probably grow 3-4 inches if he's going to play high D1 as a guard.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, May 5, 2015, at 9:47 PM

@FarmBoy06- Watch him do just that....

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Tue, May 5, 2015, at 10:38 PM
  • Well of course you feel a prep school would be better, you're a Charleston fan. That's why all winter long you kept posting for him to come play for the Jays lol.

By the way, Lamont Frazier played center for his whole high school career and he did just fine when he got to Mizzou. Were people clamoring for Frazier to move to a prep school because McFerren kept him in the post?

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 7:41 AM
  • Ok so if i am from Charleston Sikeston is not a good fit for him. With the looks Thatch is getting he needs to play tougher opponent. Sikeston schedule is weak. And semohoops u know it. His AAU schedule as a Freshman is probably tougher than Sikeston Varsity Schedule. Lets keep it real.

-- Posted by therealfan on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 7:57 AM

Thatch is a very impressive freshman. Sure appears to be on the path to becoming an impact guy in college. As you guys know, he's skilled, athletic, and smart. Not that it means a lot, but he's clearly better as a freshman than the recent big-time guard prospects to come out of StL the last few years--Brad Beal, Ben McLemore, and B. J. Young.

The key, of course, is how he continues to develop. In most cases, the sophomore year is telling. Beal made a tremendous leap his sophomore year, and McLemore was also greatly improved. (Young bounced from school to school and his talent didn't become evident until later.)

My guess is we'll know a lot more about Thatch a year from now. But my expectations are high.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 8:31 AM

Here's a little bit from Rivals, discussing last weekend's Jayhawk Invitational. Thatch's 15u StL Eagles blew through the 40-team field with a 7-0 record and an average victory margin of 23 points. (Note: Darius Beane is one of Anthony Beane's sons):

Sticking with the class of 2018 theme, the St. Louis Eagles took home the crown in the 15U division and they have a really nice-looking squad. Their roster features 12 players between the height of 6-foot-3 and 6-foot-6. They are all long armed, athletic and versatile and the odds say that many of them should turn into very good players. Four that stood out were shooting guard Fred Thatch, small forward Karrington Davis, point guard Darius Beane and combo guard Cardell McGee. Well-built and athletic, Thatch is a powerful two guard who had a big freshman season at Sikeston (Mo.) High. Davis is a lanky small forward-type from St. Louis (Mo.) Chaminade who can slash to the rim. Beane is a good sized point guard (6-foot-3) from Carbondale (Ill.) High who has a nice feel while McGee is a 6-foot-3 product of Springfield (Ill.) Lanphier capable of making plays off the dribble.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 9:28 AM
  • Beane is going to be a good player. He's the son of former Sikeston three-sport standout Tina Collins (she is the only SHS girls basketball player to make all-state and she still holds records in track and field).

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 9:35 AM
  • Thatch a tarheel or a dukie don't see that happening. He needs grow at least a couple more inches. The big difference in Beal, Young and Mclemore compaired to Thatch is they all had a postion and they played it year round, Thatch will be playing in the post all season long at Sikeston.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 11:47 AM
  • Tina was a great Athlete and so was her brother Randy Collins. I attended school with both of them. So athleticism runs in the that family. Thatch will be a good player. He will continue to develop and get the exposure he needs playing club ball. No need for him to attend a Prep School. Many Great Athletes have came from Sikeston and the SEMO Area and none of them needed a Prep School to do so.

-- Posted by CoachJ914 on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 11:50 AM
  • Im sure that Fred will be just fine where ever he plays for the Bulldogs.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 12:02 PM
  • Yeah I think Otto and Hansbrough have done just fine attending their home town schools.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 1:22 PM
  • I think there's a misconception that Thatch is strictly a back to the basket guy for the Bulldogs. Yes he played in the post, but later in the year he was more of a point-forward and did more creating and I'm sure he'll be more perimeter oriented going forward in Holifield's system. I guarantee you that ball will be in his hands a lot more next year. But of course it all depends on the personnel of the team. You put players in positions that give you the best chance at winning. I'll say again, there are many examples of guys that played in the post that were college guards. Hersey Hawkins is another example. He's a 6-3 guy that played center for his high school team, went to Bradley and became an All-American and a real good NBA player. Happens all the time. If you're a player, you're a player.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 1:27 PM

When Sikeston played a very good Fort Zumwalt South last year (Sikeston lost in OT, as I recall), Thatch set up outside the paint and handled the ball quite a bit. He saw the floor very well in both games I saw him play.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 2:00 PM
  • Exactly Grub

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 2:06 PM
  • This has nothing to do with Fred, sorry, but hoops u have any clue the dates we are playing at Rib City shootout??

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 2:55 PM
  • I'm not sure yet. Sorry.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, May 6, 2015, at 9:20 PM
  • ST L Post Dispatch reported a couple days ago that Mizzou has also made offers to 3 other freshmen from Missouri. I can't recall any names but all 3 highly touted. Looks like Kim Anderson is really looking down the road and trying to secure the borders.

I don't recall ever hearing of a college coach going after HS freshmen so hard.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 8:08 AM
  • Gotta get in there early when you're the home state school and you're not a blue blood.

-- Posted by The Deuce on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 8:18 AM
  • Good idea on Coach Anderson's part. Mizzou historically has had trouble getting elite D-I prospects from Missouri to play at Mizzou. (Tyler Hansbrough, Otto Porter, Bradley Beal, Larry Hughes etc.)

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 8:42 AM
  • Bogey Man,

Mizzou has also offered, Torrence Watson 6'5 SG(Whitfield HS/STL), Courtney Ramey 6'1 PG(Webster Groves/STL) and Cartier Gordon 6'7 PF(Vianney). Smart for Mizzou to take interest in them early on before the outsiders come knocking and some have already done so ie, Illinois, K-State etc.

-- Posted by CHS2MRH on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 8:55 AM
  • Wouldn't all 4 be nice!! Find a 6'10" post and that sounds like a team!!

Just from a fan perspective, I always enjoyed rooting for Mizzou and St. Louis U. more when they had local talent. I use to admire the Illinois teams with every single player being from Illinois, too. Just easier to take more of an interest when you are rooting for local kids.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 9:57 AM
  • -- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 9:57 AM

Chicago and Peoria make for a pretty good pool of talent....

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 10:15 AM

Bogey,

Pretty thorough recruiting info can be found in Buck Major's recruiting thread in the College Forums section if you're interested.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 12:10 PM
  • How well does Mr. Thatch do in the classroom?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 12:17 PM
  • Hello, this is Fred's sister. There are questions regarding his grades. I tried posting a screenshot but couldn't. Here's his grades: Honors Geometry A, CP English A-, CP Spanish A, CP American History A, CP Physical Science A-, CP Health A, CP Engineering A. GPA 4.223 leaving him in the top 10% of his class...

-- Posted by J Thatch on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 1:23 PM
  • Awesome! Good for him!

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 1:27 PM

Sounds like fred has a sister that has his back loves her brother that's great to see!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 2:48 PM
  • I wasn't expecting that detailed of an answer, but that's good. That will help his basketball future tremendously, if he chooses to go that route.

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 2:55 PM
  • Attagirl, Fred's sister!!!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, May 7, 2015, at 5:22 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: