Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Southern Reynolds coach

Posted by JustAnotherDay on Fri, Mar 27, 2015, at 4:41 PM:

Ellingtons head coach has been let go where will this young team go from here?

Replies (30)

• That can't be basketball related he did a great job with that team.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Fri, Mar 27, 2015, at 7:28 PM
  • That's what I was thinking to bearcat Fan kinda makes you wonder they had a great year to.

-- Posted by JustAnotherDay on Fri, Mar 27, 2015, at 10:18 PM

They have a lot of talent over there probably was some who thought they under achieved!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Mar 27, 2015, at 11:28 PM
  • Could be one of the most attractive openings in Missouri for the next two years, if true.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 12:09 AM
  • The top 3 players are all back. They should win that district the next 2 years.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 5:52 AM
  • Can't say that they underachieved. I know they have received a lot of hype and they do have some good young kids. But you have to be REAL good as a sophomore(s) to win in post season. It almost makes you wonder if the board/administration had unrealistic expectations this year. That's assuming he was let go for this particular reason. They also didn't have great guard play. I do agree that the next two years should be a lot of fun for Ellington.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 3:46 PM
  • Well if they let the coach go because they felt they should have advanced out of the districts. In my opinion which means nothing that's a pretty sad reason.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 4:16 PM
  • May have ticked off the "wrong person(s)." When you play younger kids instead of upperclassmen, no matter talent level, a coach tends to upset people. That's when it is extremely important to have administrative support. I know a coach in SEMO area who got canned for that exact reason - lack of administrative gonads. In fact, I hear principal was leading the charge despite his kid benefitting from younger kids playing. Can't make some people happy no matter what you do or don't do.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 7:15 PM
  • Bearcat Fan-Unfortunately too many people only care about winning and it seems to come at the expense of everything else. However the chickens will always come home to roost in these situations.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Mar 28, 2015, at 8:26 PM
  • History happens when the time is right.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 29, 2015, at 12:30 AM
  • jwhitlock

Do you have Ellington in final four next year if it can beat Bloomfield?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 29, 2015, at 12:55 AM
  • What does Valle Catholic return?

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 29, 2015, at 1:05 AM
  • Granted Notre Dame almost beat Kentucky tonight so you have to play the games regardless of where the talent exists.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Mar 29, 2015, at 1:08 AM
  • What was their final record 21-4? I would say that's winning. To lose to Valle that had all those seniors and your starting soph's and juniors is not a bad loss. Valle did make it to the elite 8 and only lost to Scott County by 8. Valle loses 4 senior starters. The only starter they return is Connor Basler.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sun, Mar 29, 2015, at 5:57 AM
  • 20-5 was the record. I do know the guard play was not good. Next year will be different I believe because there is a guard coming off the bench that should start, should've started this year in my honest opinion. Pretty good all around player. Gonna be fun in Ellington!!!

-- Posted by WhippetFan on Tue, Apr 7, 2015, at 3:53 PM
  • It's always nice to hear from the random fan who never went to practice on how a particular kid should've started. :)

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Apr 7, 2015, at 6:16 PM
  • Whippet fan I'm sure if there was guard that should of started he would of started must be more to the story. If ellington had a decent contributor to dish to Sharp and Morrissey and then establish them and play from there Ellington would of went far in my honest oppnion

-- Posted by JustAnotherDay on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 12:29 AM
  • Senior loyalty is why he didn't start. The coach was loyal to his seniors. Maybe I'm speaking out of context but to me you have to put your best 5 on the court. Because of his senior loyalty that didn't happen. I believe this kid is also a sophomore. And I heard the question many times, "Why isn't this kid starting?" from many different people. I don't have any kids playing but love to watch the games. You see a lot from the stands that maybe even the coaches don't see.

-- Posted by WhippetFan on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 7:54 AM
  • You think you see more than the coach.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 8:21 AM
  • Ellington should be the favorite to win the district the next two years.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 8:29 AM
  • No, WhippetFan. You don't see a lot that a coach might not see just by attending a game. Do you attend practice? What a joke.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 9:18 AM
  • Agreed whitlock, seems to many people feel they see more from the stands! Work-ethic, drive, and determination is a lot of things that get unoticed and are more or likely things that are only seen in practice and over summer workouts.

sounds like the case of coward mouting!

-- Posted by 4ptplay on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 10:46 AM
  • You can't blame the guard play in the district champ game, the post players got the ball plenty enough and then fouled and sent to the line to win that game.

-- Posted by bunthimover on Wed, Apr 8, 2015, at 12:08 PM
  • Anyone know who they hired?

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Thu, Apr 23, 2015, at 2:59 PM

Haven't yet from what I here got a lot of applicants more than expected!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Apr 23, 2015, at 4:31 PM
  • Talking about high expectations. Who ever takes the job will have lots of pressure. First, your replacing a coach that won 20+. Second, it appears people already have them in Columbia next year. If you win district or maybe state, its because you took over a strong program with talent. If you don't win it all, its because your the coach. Its win it all or fail situation.

On the other hand, if you do win it all, then you have become the coach of the decade in Ellington.

-- Posted by TIDAL on Fri, Apr 24, 2015, at 10:15 AM
  • Actually TIDAL, if you won it all at Ellington I'd say you'd be the coach of all ages there.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Fri, Apr 24, 2015, at 10:17 AM
  • Finally, a little debate going on here. It was getting boring. Sounds like any coach will have some talent but stepping into a hornet's nest. No coach can overcome what mommy and daddy say at the supper table.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Fri, Apr 24, 2015, at 10:24 AM
  • According to a buddy of mine who applied, they have hired someone. Just maybe haven't announced it yet. He told me yesterday he called to inquire on status of process.

-- Posted by ToeTheLine on Fri, Apr 24, 2015, at 4:59 PM
  • Any word on where Coach Berry might be going? I thought he did a good job.

-- Posted by Bearcat Fan on Sun, Apr 26, 2015, at 4:50 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: