Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston Fans...

Posted by V,B on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 11:52 PM:

Got a chance to catch my Bulldogs finally steal one against you guys. Like always, there is nothing like a Notre Dame-Sikeston game. As glad as I am about the win, I was blown away watching Fred Thatch. If that kid grows in size and his game, he has a D-1 future. I never saw Mike Porter as a freshman, but I can't imagine him being much better than that. Could be wrong and that's what I wanted to ask you guys. How would you compare Thatch as a freshman to Porter as a freshman? I'm definitely glad we pulled this game out because I think it'll because I don't think anybody will challenge you guys in the district until Thatch graduates.

Replies (53)

Not a Sikeston fan and don't know their teams as well as they do, but based on what I've seen, I give the edge to Thatch. Can't go wrong either way; Porter is an all-time great and Thatch will be when it's all said and done.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 7:12 AM
  • In my fairly knowledgable Sikeston opinion, Fred is a much better ball handler and shooter than Michael was at this point in his career. Michael was a much better back-to-the-basket post player than Fred, but Fred is developing that. If Fred stays healthy he will be our all-time leading scorer.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 9:17 AM
  • semohoops and I had this discussion on here this season I believe. He made a good point that while they were both outstanding players, Michael had more offensive support his freshman year whereas Fred is the number 1 scoring option. So all other factors being equal, that would give Fred the edge as far as strictly career scoring goes. As Rocket said, there shouldn't be any reason Fred does not end up as Sikeston's all time leading scorer.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 11:01 AM
  • I watch the Thatch kid last night and his basketball IQ is off the chart. And the way he carry himself on the court is just amazing. The entire time he was out there he was constantly trying to motivate his team. I over heard his dad talking to him after the game and he told him use this lost as a building block to get better. Its just rewarding to have a player like him in Southeast Mo. Congrad to The Bulldogs they just a great game good luck representing Southeast Mo district 4.

-- Posted by therealfan on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 1:05 PM
  • That's a great point.. Fred was the main scoring option this year. However, our cupboard runneth over with talent coming back and coming up. We SHOULD be "hell on wheels" next year and the upcoming years, but there is a lot of time between now and then.

We will be better by subtraction too...ND loses 10 or 11 seniors, Jackson loses a D1 player, Cape loses a D1 player, so does Charleston.... We should be better just by that fact.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 1:05 PM
  • Even more impressive, about Fred, is that he is a straight A student and is an extremely polite young man. He is a terrific ambassador for the game...and, more importantly, for Sikeston basketball and our town.

As a matter of fact, all of our boys represent our town and school very well.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 1:14 PM
  • I am very proud of our Sikeston team. We are always very disciplined and it shows compared to all the other teams we play. That is something to be very proud of! We will get them next year!

-- Posted by Sikeston fan on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 1:30 PM

Sikeston should be very well put together next year as Rocket said. However, we said the same thing last year and then minus 6 players later, we're a different team but that's beside the point. My point being that things happen; kids move, grades might not be met, kids decide they don't have the love for the game necessary to compete, or they choose a path where they act up and force the hand to be removed. None of that matters now though, Sikeston battled through adversity all year and continuously someone stepped in and filled a spot. Coach Holifield did an excellent job this year despite what the record shows. I'm just proud of the way they played and kept up on each other and despite losing numerous games kept plugging away. This experience can only better Sikeston for the future. Best of luck to all the SEMO teams in CoMo, and on their quest to CoMo.

-- Posted by bulldog21forever on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 4:40 PM
  • It's always so tough to tell. Sikeston loses some valuable seniors (3 starters I think?), but have some very experienced players coming back and will bring up some talent from JV (obviously). Notre Dame loses a ton to graduation but has a JV that I believe only lost 1 game this season. It's just hard to tell from one year to the next how things will shake out unless a school returns 4-5 starters. JV players don't always translate to successful varsity players, chemistry changes when you have a new lineup, etc. Looking forward to some good years down the road in Class 4 District 1...it never ceases to be competitive, even when you think you can count teams out.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 4:56 PM
  • Dean you are exactly right. Charleston not only played an amazing game against NMCC but it gave great insight on what the future holds for the bluejays. Not sure how long Coach Farmer wants to continue but he won't be without talent thats for sure. Sikeston will be yet again another force in Southeast Missouri. Yes you lose Corbin who was a great leader and person on and off the court but then here comes another ''prospect'' in Kevin Jones. How much can he translate to the varsity level if at all as a freshman? He for sure has the hype surrounding him and the confidence level for the competition. As long as Thatch is around, Sikeston will never be an easy opponent. Rocket is right, just based off graduation, you would have to think Sikeston is the early favorite of the district next season. You just never know how things will work out. Great job by Coach Holifield this season. The boys came a long way. The way they won against Cape in districts really showed how hard these boys have worked over the course of the season. Can't wait for next year. Go Dogs.

-- Posted by Doc Brown on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 5:51 PM
  • I've been watching Sikeston basketball for the last 15 years.

Comparing Michael and Fred Thatch is probably unfair to both of them, as their circumstances differ with the times, but if you wish ~

Michael was a very smooth Freshman. He was a great post player from the get-go with an array of post moves. He was almost automatic inside the paint. He was that Freshman that you knew wasn't going to try to do to much even if you wanted him to try. He was efficient as a can be.

Fred is a bit more "Raw", in my opinion. If he continues to grow and get stronger ~ He has potential that's through the roof. He is going to have to figure out his game. Is his offensive game inside or outside? That running-floater in the lane that he loves cant be his only move going forward. His future can be very bright, but potential means absolutely nothing.

As far as the Porters go ~ Corey Porter was every bit as good of a high school player as Michael. People that saw the 32-0 team realize that.

-- Posted by PocketAces on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 6:08 PM
  • Why would he have to choose between inside or outside? Why couldn't he do both? And anyone that watches him knows that he has more weapons than a running floater.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 6:34 PM
  • Because not every player is effective from the perimeter and under the basket?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 6:42 PM
  • It's not that he's going to have to chose anything. He's just going to have to find that balance.

He's only a Freshman. Your not even scratching the surface yet.

I'm not saying he needs to limit himself. He just needs to find what works best for him. He did a great job this year and he has three years ahead of him. Should be interesting

-- Posted by PocketAces on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 7:00 PM

I cant say all players where In that's roll Sikeston fan. I saw SHS boys playing hard but the one kid was lucky he didn't get tossed. He had some dirty plays pushing one of the ND guys head to the floor. Emotions do run high but I think he got carried away. It was a good game all in all.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 10:50 PM
  • I wouldn't write off Jackson just yet. There is a lot of young talent in the pipeline. Again we will have great size and the skill level is there as well. We will be young but good next year!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Mar 8, 2015, at 11:31 PM
  • Indianpride unless the main young one changes his attitude I feel that super talented group won't meet their potential.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 12:19 AM
  • Walt. I agree for sure. I will leave it at that for now.

But I will say I have full confidence in Coach Scott to correct that situation.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 12:56 AM
  • Let me restate my position...I apologize for not stating it clearly. I don't think those teams will be BAD. However, after losing 10 seniors for ND, D1 player for Jackson and other seniors, D1 player for Charleston, all starters for NMCC, several seniors for PB... I think each team will be a little inexperienced at spots...like Sikeston was this year. That has to hurt them...in my opinion. Sikeston had 3 started with virtually no varsity experience this year. I think that hurt us in some games. Just my opinion...

I NEVER count out ND or Charleston. I think Cape and NMCC COULD struggle next year. Jackson has a good JV...but like someone said...JV doesn't always translate to a good varsity.

I was just trying to say that Sikeston will now have some much needed experience...

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 1:35 PM
  • I agree Rocket. We will have more experience next year. The boys just got put in places this year had very little varsity experience and they did a heck of a job.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 2:39 PM

NMCC's Javarcus Word is a sophomore starter, but yes, NMCC will lose quite a bit of talent. I believe this team has the best record in school history with the leading scorer in school history, so to not have a worse year next year would take a record effort. But we have several JV players and younger guys who I am anxious with to take center stage!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 2:47 PM
  • I didn't get to see what you have coming up Buck since Ya were too scared to play us so u guys made it snow so much. 😀😀😀😀

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 2:51 PM

hahaha I think it was ya'll that called the snow lol!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 3:09 PM
  • Buck...NMCC best record was in 2002.. 28-4..2nd place finish in state. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 4:46 PM
  • NMCC (2002) 4 loses were to Carbondale , PBluff, Vashon and MICDS (country day).

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 4:52 PM
  • That's correct. They were 28-4 that year. Best record ever. This year, no matter what happens at state, is their 2nd best record ever.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 5:06 PM
  • NMCC will have a good trio to build around with Word, Jenkins, and Farr next year. They won't be as strong as this year, but with heavy graduation across the board for most everybody, they can still compete most nights and will still be the favorite in their district next year. I just don't see many challengers.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 5:12 PM

Sorry, I knew the loses but for some reason wasn't thinking they had that many wins that year. But I did know if I was wrong it would be corrected within a matter of minutes haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 5:13 PM

I agree semohoops, that will be a good core group. It should be a fun year, and I see other teams in C3D1 dropping down as well, so your right we could still be the favorite.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 5:14 PM
  • Looking on to next yr I think Chris Farr will emerge as one of the premier players in semo..lots of good basketball skills and scoring ability..

-- Posted by indian73 on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 6:59 PM

Chris definitely wins the most improved player award in my book. He's been fun to watch. Great coachable smart kid.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 7:08 PM
  • I want to keep this short so I don't step on too many toes.

I am from Sikeston and I want to hear nothing but great things about our athletes succeeding in the future. I mean this from within the program and personal success.

Fred Thatch is a better ball handler and shooter than Mike Porter was as a freshman.

But the better player is Michael Porter every day of the week, as a freshman. I hate debating this because I don't want to sound like I'm downing Thatch. I truly am a fan and I want him to surpass the records and everything else that Michael Porter accomplished.

I've watched Thatch play numerous times. He does not like the post. Idk if it is something with AAU ball or what but I can tell with his style he would rather do his damage with penetration and midrange jump shots. Exact opposite of Mike Porters freshman year.

Mike Porters game was get inside and get a bucket, and that's why he is the better player.

I watched the Sikeston-ND district championship a few nights ago. Obviously ND hit their open three point attempts. But I thought defensively Sikeston got killed on the inside where many of NDs buckets seemed effortless. Not really Thatchs fault, can't guard everyone. But on the offensive end, why can't Thatch go brawl inside. Corbin Blissett got 5-10 great looks but unfortunately for him, he had a horrible free-throw shooting night which worked in NDs favor. It's up to the Sikeston coaches to make adjustments according to how the game flows. I like to think if that was Thatch getting those good looks inside, he will easily score and knock down free-throws when he needed to. He is bigger,stronger, and more skilled than Blissett, right? Splitting two and three defenders for a floater is a great tool to have in your belt. But it's not one that will consistently get W's when you are the teams best player. For all I know, that may be the position that coaches think he will better help the team to be able to win. I do disagree though.

Mike Porters freshman year doesn't end in a 2nd place finish if he doesn't play the post, simply. I'm not discussing what skills he did or didn't have, I'm telling you because he played the position he did to allow his team an opportunity to win state.

To end, Michael Porter the freshman post player was better than Fred Thatch the guard.

-- Posted by 24/7 champ on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 8:19 PM
  • They are two vastly different players. Michael was 6'3" or maybe 6'4" and long and still growing as a freshman. Fred is a 6-2 guard who was forced to play in the post due to team necessity.

Michael was on a loaded team with another all-stater in Julian Beard along with a group of experienced seniors in Kash Bratcher, Rod Moore, Cortne Beasley as well as Isaac Porter, who was 2nd team all-state the year before at SCC and Ray Rodgers who had varsity experience. Michael was an AWESOME freshman, one of the best you'll ever see, but he didn't have to carry the load every single night. He was on a team with a ton of scorers and ball handlers. Just a really, really good and deep team.

With Fred, you're talking about a freshman who was the unquestioned team leader and had to carry this inexperienced team on his back. He scored in double figures in 27 of 27 games and had 16 double-doubles and led Sikeston in every single statistical category, including charges drawn. And this all the while garnering double and triple teams throughout the season. Michael never got that kind of defensive attention as a freshman. You ask why Fred can't go brawl inside, well there's a lot of traffic in there. He had to move around a lot just to get the ball and Sikeston didn't have the consistent shooting or the scoring options to relieve that pressure inside. You're also talking about a 14 or 15 year old kid against 17 and 18 year olds for Notre Dame who completely surrounded him and were physical with him and completely concentrated their defense on stopping him according to their coach. But despite all the attention Fred got all season, he still produced night in and night out and exceeded EVERYBODY'S expectations before the season, including mine. He not only had the greatest season ever by a Sikeston freshman, but one of the great seasons by a Sikeston player period.

As for Corbyn, I didn't see very many open looks at all. He didn't have 5 to 10 great looks. He put his head down and plowed inside and forced the action and took hard fouls all night long and was sent to the free throw line 16 times. Corbyn and Fred both did all they could do and left their hearts out there on that court. Notre Dame was the better team. You tip you hat to them and wish them luck in the playoffs. Personally I think they have a shot at winning it all.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 9:00 AM
  • I'm a bit concerned about ND. Bauwens seems to be experiencing some back pain and Ressel, who was injured during the Sikeston game, is out with a torn ACL.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 10:14 AM
  • Bauwens will play. Losing Ressel hurts with his shooting ability and ball handling. But ND will have no problem with Potosi regardless. Westminster, who knows, but I like ND's chances.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 10:23 AM
  • Very knowledgable information semohoops. Mike Porter did play with a lot of talent. Heck, the coaches actually started him in a JV tourney at the start of his freshman year, they were DEEP.

That age reference seems irrelevant. I'm sure MP as a freshman played against older kids night in and night out as Fred had to this year.

I also watched the Cape-Sikeston semifinal. I seen Thatch and Blissett handle Andre Statham, physically. I honestly thought they would beat ND with a similar physical approach. But what is true is ND was the better team.

Corbyn Blissett is a talented player, I know him personally and I like his game. I didn't really refer to him having "open looks", he made solid moves at the basket and was getting fouled. If he has a better free-throw shooting night, I would have said keep giving him the ball. Regardless, I think Thatch is better with that type of game. Honestly, walking in the gym that night I was looking forward to Thatch doing what Corbin Blissett was trying to do inside. Not taking anything away from the job ND has done this year, I've watched them play more than Sikeston. I knew this group was special when they beat Jackson at the Christmas tournament, awesome game.

I'm sorry if I have a cruel view on the game of basketball but let me say this. People have different perceptions of being great. Half the reason I consider individuals to be great is because of championships. When I think of Sikeston basketball, I don't necessarily want to hear about stats and points and how old he or she was. I want to know what there record is, did they win the conference, did they win districts, and the most important did they make a trip to state. Yeah, it is tough for a freshman to carry their team to a championship. Isn't that what you sign up for? To do everything you can to make sure your team wins?

Fred Thatch has a lot more to accomplish in this regard. Because this is how I view the game. It would be nice if the game was viewed from a stat line. But Michael Jordan isn't Michael Jordan without Six NBA championships. Some people don't think winning is important but I do, not knocking Thatch or any of the Sikeston players or coaches. They improved the whole season. But the reality of it is that they were really so close, 3 to 4 possessions close if I had to judge it like that. So I can't act as if Sikeston wasn't talented enough to make a trip to state.

I hope Thatch has a drive in him that wants to be a winner. I hope he knows it isn't enough to have X amount of double doubles or X amount of scoring records. Sikeston locals praise him very much for these things.

I dreamed of being a champion when I was kid, nothing more nothing less. Good luck to the Notre Dame Bulldogs, bring one home for Southeast!!

Sikeston had plenty of weapons to get the job done,

-- Posted by 24/7 champ on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 10:34 AM
  • Oh there is no doubt that championships are the standard. There may not be more beloved players in Sikeston history than Corey Porter, Will Holifield, Darryl Howard and Janiel Hatchett. Were they the best Sikeston players ever? Of course not. But they were the core of the best team ever and beloved because of that. None of their stats jumped off the page because it was the most balanced team ever. But I can also assure you that there is not one player in the Sikeston program that is driven to win and succeed than Fred Thatch. He is as driven as any player I've seen and works extremely hard on his craft. Now can he keep that hunger moving forward? That remains to be seen, but I think he will.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 11:59 AM
  • Lets not forget about Terry Jamison as a big part of that team, even though he was a junior.

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 1:34 PM
  • Absolutely

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 10, 2015, at 1:43 PM
  • Sickening .

-- Posted by m33d on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 1:41 AM

A few stats for you.

Fred Thatch ends his Freshman season with an even 500 points scored on the year.

Michael Porter scored 413 points during his Freshman year.

So....Thatch is on schedule to score 2000 points in his career.

Michael Porter has the most points scored in Sikeston Bulldog History at 1994.

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 9:00 AM
  • How many all-staters did Thatch play with his freshman year? Okay, now think of all the things that both of the players accomplished in their freshman years. Honestly thats irrelevant because I know who is the better player.

500 points 2nd place districts

417 points 2nd place at state

Both players were leading scorers

I've already noticed that my stats-don't-matter reference has flew over everyone's head. So I will disregard the championship thing as long as he gets 2000 points since scoring more points makes you the better player, right.

Rather than to reply to any more of the comparisons, whoever disagrees should research Herm Edwards and the question, "Why do we play the game?"

I don't want to see Thatch end his high school career with 2000 points. I want him to end it with 1, 2, or 3 championships like MP didn't get to do. It bugs me because I know people that are in his ear telling him what he did this year was impressive and astonishing, and I agree! But to some degree, we have to back off. As upset as I am about the comparison, I more upset that this couldn't wait until his junior or senior year before we talk about something like this.

-- Posted by 24/7 champ on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 10:43 AM
  • How many of the posters remember Fred Towns?

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 11:35 AM
  • Prep school next year for Thatch?

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 11:53 AM
  • As I said, Fred is more concerned with winning than stats. You seem to think that fans talking about his statistics also reflect his way of thinking. All Fred is interested in doing is improving as a player and more importantly, WINNING. Nobody is more devastated after losses than Fred, even if he was a stat-stuffer in the process. It didn't matter because the team lost. He is the ultimate team guy.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 11:59 AM
  • I'm sure Notre Dame will have one of those "althletic scholarships" that I always hear about available, considering all those seniors they lose.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 12:01 PM

SHS59....I'm one of the senior citizens on here and I remember Fred Towns. Back in those days, a 6'4" post player was a big post player; Towns, to be a big guy, was as smoothe as silk. Only got to see him a few times but he made quite the impression on me each time I did see him. If I remember correctly, Sikeston played in the Bloomfield Christmas Tournament back then.

As good as those types of players were back in the day, they'd be just another above average player by today's standards. Today's "stars" are well beyond yesteday's "stars" in terms of abilities. However, yesterday's "stars" were much more fundamentally sound than today's "stars".

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 12:32 PM
  • Nah Farmboy. Thatch isn't up to the quality of one of ND's "athletic scholarships." Neither was O. Porter, M. Porter, B. Hansbrough, or T. Hansbrough.... We only offer the best! [sarcasm font]

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 1:09 PM
  • Funny, there were some pretty strong rumors around the message boards that Michael Porter was headed to ND at one point. Also Otto.

And Coach Holifield was headed to SEMO as an assistant.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 1:16 PM
  • Wasn't referring to ND. STL area more like it.

-- Posted by uncommon_sense on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 5:04 PM
  • No I know, uncommon. We're just trying to entertain ourselves.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 5:38 PM

Ill jump in here. It helps to have a great player but one player doesn't win a championship. When Mike P came with his brothers it was the talk of the town SHS will win state..... but SHS ended up not winning state in his years. Then you take a team that really had no single star player per say and you get a championship with C Porter,J Hatchett,D Howard,T Jamison,W Holifield as the starters and Ruffin Coleman Mcgee coming off the bench. That being said Fred T will not win a championship alone.SHS will no doubt have a better showing then the start of this season but it will not be a single players effort by no means.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Mar 11, 2015, at 6:23 PM
  • Wait till next year when Kevin Jones comes up! If you think Thatch is good, wait till you see this kid!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Thu, Mar 12, 2015, at 12:08 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: