Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Predicted Outcome of C4D1 boys and girls

Posted by LayBay16 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 12:39 PM:

Who do you think will win the Class 4 District 1 boys and girls tournament?? With scores

Replies (102)

• Boys - Sikeston over ND

Cape, ND, and Sikeston are all playing well right now. If Sikeston can get by Cape (I think they can), I don't have a lot of confidence in ND to show up in such a big game in a hostile environment. For example, how they performed AT Sikeston and AT Jackson this year. I'm not saying I expect a 20+ point game again, but I would have a tough time picking against Sikeston on their home court.

Girls - Dexter over Sikeston

Dexter has history on their side, not to mention they just beat the Lady Dogs on their home court a few days ago. I think Dexter has the experience in big games and will win with a slightly bigger margin than last time.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:10 PM
  • For the boys, I am going with Notre Dame. Over the course of the season, they have been the most consistent team in the district. Cape Central and Sikeston are certainly capable of winning it all and the Red Dogs do have home court working in their favor. But in the end, I think Notre Dame takes home the title.

For the girls, I agree with FarmBoy06 that Dexter will win another district championship. Sikeston has improved tremendously, but Dexter beat them at home last week and I think they will do so again.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:16 PM
  • Curious Preach, what are your thoughts on the likely Cape-Sikeston matchup?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:18 PM
  • For the boys I agree with FarmBoy06. Sikeston Boys may not have the best record, but they know how to show up and play when they need to.

For the girls I wouldn't put it past Sikeston at all. Their girls have improved greatly this year. They play as a team, and their defense could out run Dexter. Last Thursday Sikeston missed opportunities to hit big shots, but also hit some big ones. I don't see them letting another opportunity like that slide. I feel like Dexter is already looking past Sikeston to Sectionals, and if they do I believe Sikeston will take advantage of that

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:29 PM
  • Farm, Cape certainly seems to have Sikeston's number this year, but can they beat the Bulldogs three times in a row at the Field House? That seems like a tall order, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if Sikeston wins. But I'm still picking the Tigers. In the first two games between them, Sikeston just hasn't been able to guard Al Young and I think he will be the difference again in Game 3. My pick is Cape over Sikeston in a close game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:31 PM
  • I certainly don't think Dexter is looking past anyone. Coach Allen and his teams have been in some very competitive games over the past several years and always seem to bring it during districts. Considering the last meeting was a whopping 5 points, I'd say it'd be more than foolish to overlook that team.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:34 PM
  • Agreed FarmBoy06. Coach Allen doesn't overlook anyone.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:37 PM
  • Your right I agree with that I take that back. I believe that both teams are going to come out ready to go. Either way it goes I believe it will be a close game.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:40 PM
  • I think you're right on that one pk. Should be a fun night of basketball, whenever it is. I'm afraid it may not be Friday...

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:42 PM
  • I agree with that, but I really hope we are wrong about at least that.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 1:45 PM

I'll take a stab at this one (Even though I'm really not sure, and I'm excited for this district, going to try and make a few games).

Boys: It's hard to beat Sikeston 3 times, and it's at the field house, so I say Sikeston over Cape. I say Notre Dame wins to set up a Sikeston/Notre Dame final. In the final I'm going to ride the bluedogs. They are hot right now, and I think they stay hot all the way to state.

Girls: I'm going to go with Dexter. They are well coached, I don't think they will overlook Sikeston, and I think they can beat them again in another close one.

Please weather let these games happen on schedule!!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 2:20 PM
  • Capes had our number last three games, im hopin im wrong but i see catholics over bengals in title game.

Cats over dawgettes in girls game

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 3:42 PM
  • Farmboy- I pick Sikeston as well, but I'm not sure about your reasoning. Are ND's wins at Bluff, at Charleston, and a win vs Jackson at the Christmas tournament not tough wins on the road, or "hostile" environments? I know they beat NMCC too, but not sure where it was, but think it was on the road too. Buck can help me.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 10:12 PM

Yes you are correct, Notre Dame beat NMCC at NMCC.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 10:19 PM
  • Not like Sikeston or Jackson. Both of those are pretty big rival schools, big Friday night crowds, etc. Jackson was essentially a neutral court, Charleston not a rival (and I think a weeknight, low-hype game). PB is a little better, I think it was homecoming or senior night or something...but still, not the rivalry and history of a SHS-ND or Jackson-ND.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 10:20 PM

NMCC/ND was also on a week night.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 10:26 PM

And for NMCC a weak night lol

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 10:27 PM
  • watched notre dame girls play Perryville tonight, I know Perryville isn't that strong this year, but I would say n.d. put together one of their best 4 quarters of the year. they looked tough. Sikeston better not overlook them.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Mon, Mar 2, 2015, at 11:41 PM
  • So the Christmas tournament doesn't count farm?

-- Posted by Radar99 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 6:30 AM
  • As I said, that's basically a neutral court. It was a good win, no doubt, but that's not the point at all.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 7:41 AM
  • I think Sikeston boys and Sikeston girls will both win. Sikeston girls team always get underestimated , I personally believe that they will beat Dexter. It's gonna be a close game for them but I believe they are gonna come out with the win , breaking history again .

-- Posted by sbulldog on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 8:14 AM
  • I'm going to go with NO on the underestimated claim. Lack of performance doesn't earn you much in the way of folks picking you to win. This year they have a good team, and they'll make it a good game in districts. I'm picking the team who just beat them last week on the same court, and who has experience in big games.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 8:40 AM
  • I can't imagine Sikeston's girls OVERLOOKING Dexter. That's actually kind of comical. Wouldn't it be more accurate to say they overlooked Notre Dame to get to Dexter?

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 8:47 AM
  • Sikeston girls finished their season 19-5. They beat both Norte dame & Jackson this year , so I don't agree with you on the lack of performance part. Sikeston girls also finished 5-1 in conference . All I know is both teams are gonna give it their all & it's gonna be a good game .

-- Posted by sbulldog on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 9:29 AM
  • I can see a scenario where Dexter beating Sikeston last week works against them. Yes Dexter has played a tough schedule but they are real young. IF Sikeston comes out and plays well on their home floor they will win. What will Sikeston do in a big game? But let's not also forget that Dexter only has 2 girls that have played in big games. It's going to be all new to the rest of those girls who are freshman and jv players from last year.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 9:47 AM
  • They have performed THIS year, yes. But when you insinuate people are underestimating Sikeston, that's a bit ridiculous. They are seeded second to a team who just beat them on the same court. Call me crazy, but that's just being logical to pick Dexter again.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 9:56 AM
  • I'm still going for Sikeston girls for the win. It would be very comical for either team to look over one another. I just have that good feeling about Sikeston girls this year.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:05 AM
  • Each year and each team is it's own. What happened in previous year ONLY matters if Sikeston's girls mentally don't believe they can beat Dexter. As far as Dexter goes they start 2 girls who were in junior high last year so I doubt they completely understand exactly what's at stake(not uncommon for Freshman). However, If McKuin and Reynolds are great leaders(which they may very well be), they may be able to overcome their youth.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:13 AM
  • what's comical is them overlooking their games tonight. Both of them.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:15 AM
  • I don't think they are overlooking their games tonight just because some people are talking on Semoball.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:16 AM
  • Greatly agreed if the mentality is not there on either team that team will get sent home. Past years are gone. The team that plays with no fear,and the mentality that they will win will be the team that does. Both teams are capable of winning. Sikeston girls have definitely got the talent and ability to win, as I hope they do. but Dexter also does. I think overall it will be a battle of mentality.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:21 AM
  • I agree with ozzyandharriet I don't think any team is looking of any games especially Sikeston. They have got knocked out in the Semifinals of districts by Notre Dame 4 of the past 5 years, so it would be foolish to look over them now. Notre Dame has improved since the last time they played Sikeston, and Sikeston knows that.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:26 AM
  • I agree with farmboy06 , ozzyandharriet and pkball16

-- Posted by sbulldog on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 10:39 AM
  • Reddawgette game tonite vs catholicettes is no gimme game, them bluedawgette young 'uns are startn to gel after losin a boatloada srs last year. I expect a close battle tonite!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:03 AM
  • wot u talkin bot bucko?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:05 AM
  • Sikeston Boys and Girls will win the District Title the boys with Thatch and Blissett playing well and the girls with Peet, bonner, and Mitchell outstanding play

-- Posted by GloUp34 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:09 AM
  • Sikeston Boys and Girls will win the District Title the boys with Thatch and Blissett playing well and the girls with Peet, bonner, and Mitchell outstanding play

-- Posted by GloUp34 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:09 AM
  • For what it's worth....here's my two cents. I believe Coach Holifield will make some slight adjustments in the defense to TRY to keep Al Young from getting easy baskets at the cup. I also believe Coach Holifield will do a few things to try and get Fred open. Cape Central (namely Hagerty) did a good job of frustrating Fred the last meeting. But, to me, the key to Sikeston beating Cape is knocking down some shots. Just a few... Cape has basically allowed the Dogs to shoot from the perimeter uncontested. That has been at Coach Church's urging. If the Dogs knock down a few shots and get a little confidence....look out. The floodgates may open... If they don't, it could be the same outcome. I believe the Dogs are playing better than they have all year, except for a game or two. I like their chances at home against Cape.

If the Dogs beat Cape, I like their chances...at home...in a district title tilt with ND. If I were an ND fan, I think would be rooting for Cape to win since they have had their way with Cape two different times this year with 20 point wins.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:15 AM
  • Regarding the girls... I like the Dogs in a thriller over Dexter. The Dogs had their chance late to make several key baskets in their first meeting with Dexter. Down 51-50, Sikeston stole and inbounds pass and then turned it over immediately. I think those types of things get cleaned up. I also think the Dogs ball pressure will be ramped up even more and it will be too much for the Bearcats overcome.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:18 AM
  • One last thought... I think Sikeston will exorcise some demons tonight by beating ND in district. As someone mentioned earlier, ND has been a thorn in the side of the Lady Dogs. I think their win tonight will propel them to a district title.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:20 AM
  • It's hard for me to pick against Sikeston against ND tonight...considering the result during the regular season, and how ND has gotten roughed up a few times this year. I think it will be a better game than last time, ND seems to be playing better. But it will still probably be an SHS win.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:23 AM
  • That's what I like to hear Rocket689. Sikestons girls pressure has been what hurt their opponents this year. They are good at forcing turnovers. If Sikeston takes care of Mckuin and Reyonlds I think Dexter will have a hard time scoring. If Sikeston can produce point off of dexters turnovers then they should win. Sikeston is great at forcing live ball turnovers, but not the best at scoring off of them. If they can do that then they should do great.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 11:29 AM
  • points to consider on Sikeston-dexter possible rematch. Point 1: Freshman garrison put up 22, while mckuin put up 19, and had 6 or more points taken away by some very, very questionable calls. from the games I have seen, she is the bread and butter, even though she might not be high scorer ever night. she sees the floor well and hits the open man making every player on the floor better. Point 2: will Sikeston again get 40% of their scoring from the foul line with clock stopped. Point 3: will other ace freshman-Thurman spend 75% of her time on bench with 4 fouls early, probably not. Point 4: the quantity and quality of Sikeston bench players is BIG in their favor. Point 5: speed, quickness, and aggressiveness is in Sikestons favor. So just play the game.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 1:09 PM
  • This season is all about parity. That's why it's my belief that if Notre Dame plays Cape in the final, Cape will beat them. If they match up against Sikeston, I think Notre Dame will finally break their district title drought. Here's my (long) reasoning:

This would be the 4th time these teams played this year. Cape won the SEMO Conference Consolation game by 2 or 3, but then ND followed with blowout wins in the Christmas Tournament and again a few weeks ago. I think the way they played in the last two matchups will give Cape a big chip on the shoulder with something to prove while Notre Dame won't be as up.

If the championship is an ND-Sikeston matchup, I love the Blue Dogs' chances. ND played their worst game of the season when they played the first time (also didn't have Ressel) and won't forget that performance. Also, this ND team is different from previous years in that Sikeston's homecourt won't only be a non-factor, they will thrive in this environment. They have performed great on the big stage this year.

And more than that, it's almost poetic that they have to win against Sikeston in Sikeston to finally get over this district hump. Most of these kids grew up watching the Willens and Porters go at it with ND winning districts 3 out of 4 years from '05-'08. But since then, we followed it with 4 straight championship losses to Sikeston that included two years where we were a equal or slightly better team ('10 and '12), and in 2011 when we almost pulled off a miracle until Will Holifield hit 100 three pointers erasing our 4th quarter lead. (You're welcome for providing some great memories, Sikeston people.)

Anyway, my point in all this is ND is a senior heavy team and they know what this rivalry and circumstance means. I would expect them to come out, embrace the environment, and play their very best basketball. Sikeston is Sikeston which means they're always good, but I don't think this year's team can stay with ND if they play their best. They're still a year away and will be scary next year.

Either way, whichever of the three teams is champion on Friday night will walk to the quarterfinal round. I'm out of state now, but it looks like Westminster is the only team between the district winner and Columbia. Good luck to my Bulldogs, hope everyone who gets to attend gets to see a great tournament.

-- Posted by V,B on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 8:09 PM
  • I'll go with ND over Central. The Tigers have Sikeston's number but I don't see them beating ND in the final. Also, I could see the winner going all the way to Mizzou Arena for a title shot.

-- Posted by Saderfan on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 8:41 PM
  • It's either going to be Sikeston, Cape or Notre Dame. That's my prediction cause I really don't have a clue. Too close to call for me. But Im hoping if it's not us it will be Notre Dame.

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Mar 3, 2015, at 8:54 PM
  • Wow the ND dawgettes get my vote for most improved team since start of season. They played very well tonite and the game wasnt decided til the last 2 minutes. Congrats to reddawgettes they kept scrappin and finally pulled it out at end. We are gonna hafta play extremely well to beat Dexter fri nite, it oughtta be a great game!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:11 AM
  • I would like to get my "2 cents worth" in this discussion everyone (including ND coach) is crying about ND girls being young. The facts say something different. SHS has 11 Soph. & Jr.'s, ND has 10 Soph. and Jr.'s.

A Soph. (Tyeshia Mitchell) scored 23 points for SHS including 15 of the last 19 points scored by SHS.

ND failed to score in the last 3 min. because this same Soph. created turnovers leading to points scored for SHS.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 8:10 AM
  • Sorry, Sikeston isn't the focus of every discussion, we'll try to do better next time.

Nobody is "crying" about anything, other than you about those posts. Notre Dame lost a ton of seniors last year, and it showed big time this season as they had some big blowout losses.

You won...who cares???

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 8:31 AM
  • If you are saying no one is crying please reread the article about the game, the ND coach says 3 times "we're young and we're still young.

Also "almost" every post attributes the loss to being a young team. Your last post indicates that the "blowout losses" were due to having a young team.

As to your snide remark about SHS being the "focus of every discussion" look back at the comments on this thread and tell me if ND is not the focus.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 8:58 AM

SHS59 - Will you please explain more thoroughly how pointing out youth and inexperience equates to crying?

Also, will you please explain why what you're doing in your posts should NOT be considered crying?

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 9:11 AM
  • If you are not well equipped enough to realize that explaining losses on factors (such as being young) that are equal, you will never understand.

As to my crying I have NOT made one excuse for SHS losses or wins based on the fact that both SHS teams ARE young.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 9:36 AM
  • Ima huge reddawg fan as you all know. The difference is that most of sikes young 'uns started or played considerable mins last year. None of bluedawgz young 'uns played much if any last year on a sr laden team. Obviously the bluedawgz were way more inexperienced comn into this year, maybe "young" was an over used term. But they sure looked like a whole different team compared to earlier in year. Way better ball movement, shooting, and ballhandling. A season of experience will do that to a team of young 'uns!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 9:45 AM
  • I have not seen either team play, my only knowledge is from comments on this website. And the only team using being "young" is ND.

Since I am a big SHS boys team fan we have never used being "young" as an excuse for losing games, even though we lost 8 of 10 starters from last year.

"You play with who ya' got".

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 9:55 AM
  • I was beginning to be worried that we could go a whole Class 4 District 1 thread without dishing out insults and ignorance. Had me really concerned that the Semoball we all know and love was dead. But lo and behold SHS59 came along to save the day! Thank you sir or madam. I congratulate your Sikeston Women's Basketball Team on becoming another casualty to the Dexter Dynasty. Welcome to the club! I hope you can be more of a man than ND's coach and not cry when you get smoked Friday.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:09 AM
  • Just a bunch of excuses cirithungol. ND sucks and we're all just trying to blame something other than that. SHS59 already explained it, no need to debate any further.

And yeah, that was kind of my point SHS59. ND was the focus, and I know how some Sikeston folks just can't stand when it's not all eyes on them. Whether they deserve the attention or not.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:13 AM

SHS59 - Apparently I am indeed "not well equipped enough" so please continue working with your intellectual inferiors. In regards to last night's game, how is youth/inexperience being used to explain - translation: excuse - ND's loss? In other words, how does reflecting on the makeup of a team constitute crying?

Thanks for being so humble and patient with unequipped dullards like me.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:16 AM

SHS59....I say this in jest, but since when does a basketball team have 10 starters?

-- Posted by birdfan on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:17 AM
  • ^^^BOOM

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:18 AM
  • if dexter loses fri. night could be because they are young. 2 freshmen, 1 sophomore, 2 juniors.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:29 AM
  • With 10 starters I can see why Sikeston has been so hard to beat!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:33 AM
  • Again you seem not to understand, we had 10 players who started at different times depending on situations. This year we have probably had more than 10, I haven't counted.

Captain please read the ND coach response in the article.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 10:48 AM

SHS59 - I've read the article. I'm still looking for the crying that you are - ahem - not crying about. There IS a Peters quote about ND showing inexperience at the end. That seems like a fair assessment to me, but hey, what do I know? I'm unequipped, after all.

By the way, since you brought up the article, I'm sure you also read this section:

"Sikeston's an incredibly good team and Matt's done a wonderful job," Peters said. "At the beginning of the season I believed I called this. He's got a chance to take this."

Geez, somebody call the wambulance already.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:07 AM
  • Wambulance bahaha! Also i think when a coach uses the young and inexperienced phrase she is trying to build confidence in her team. Yes the girls obviously read the articles and the coach knows they are down when they lose. Coach just wants em to know they will play better and better once they gain experience and confidence. ND certainly looked that way lasnite compared to their first fieldhouse contest. A humble, yet wise beyond my years, opinion.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:17 AM
  • The quote you are using comes after saying "we are Young" 3 times. And prior to your saying inexperienced I have not seen that used but 1 time before now on this thread by ciri who happens to also be a SHS fan.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:22 AM
  • ^^^ All this complaining (and at this point, semantics) coming from someone who's team WON THE FREAKING GAME.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:24 AM

Wow. So now there's protocol for the order in which a coach should make certain statements following a district tournament loss? Got it.

Ciri - I get what you're saying. Makes sense.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:27 AM
  • I agree with Captain Awesome!!!! I'm a HUGE Sikeston fan, but I don't think Coach Peters is whining. Her team is young and inexperienced. It all comes down to ND came out and played an EXTREMELY well game compared to how they played at the beginning of the year due to the experience they've gained. I also think it was an EXTREMELY down night for Sikeston. And they were lucky to come out with the win. If they play like they did last night on Friday night it will be a LONG night. But if they play the ball they can it will be a good game.

-- Posted by LayBay16 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:29 AM
  • I am not complaining about the order in which the coach made her statement I am saying nobody has been saying inexperienced they have all said YOUNG.

By the way FarmBoy06, I would hate to have been in your shoes after last nights loss.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:44 AM
  • I'll admit, I'm scratching my head on that one...

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 11:48 AM

I've seen Sikeston twice (against Fort Zumwalt South and Fort Zumwalt North) and ND once (against De Smet). Based just on these games, I'd probably make Sikeston a slight favorite. Sikeston has an edge in quickness, although I don't think this Sikeston team is quite as athletic as some earlier editions. My guess is that they will force enough turnovers to tilt the game in their favor. ND had a few issues with De Smet's pressure late in the game and nearly let the win get away. (De Smet's Stipanovich missed a free throw with about 2 seconds left that would have likely won the game in regulation.)

My take was that ND has more shooters than Sikeston, who relied heavily on Dyes and Thatch when I saw them. My guess is that ND will focus its defense on Thatch. Dyes is going to have to hit some shots.

As folks on this board know, Sikeston plays with unsurpassed sustained defensive intensity. (No team I've seen in StL matches it.) Of course, ND is will aware of what it's facing and will be as prepared as any team could be. ND was very tough-minded vs. De Smet for most of the game. They kept it together the first several minutes when it appeared De Smet was going to run them out of the building. Poythress was big-time. ND just kept grinding and gradually built a big lead before giving it all back in regulation in

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:40 PM
  • It didn't matter how young or inexperienced these girls teams are, it sure was a fun game to watch. Both teams left it all on the floor. I think the whole difference was Sikeston keeping fresh players on the court and you could see ND was sucking air and bending over. Great game to watch and sure finals when ever played will be the same.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:43 PM
  • Unfortunately theres a team called cape central in the way of that matchup. Bengals have been our daddy the past two years.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:45 PM

(Here's the rest of my post. Didn't show up for some reason.)

ND just kept grinding and gradually built a big lead before giving it all back in regulation in the last few minutes. Lapses like that will be very costly against Sikeston.

Both teams really battled on the boards. Hard to say who has the edge there.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:46 PM

SHS59 - If you don't think that 'young' and 'inexperienced' are interchangeable within the context of the analysis, then we're just not looking at things from the same perspective. And that's okay.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:55 PM
  • lastride67, absolutely. Very fun game. And I think you're right on the energy left at the end of the game. For one, I think Sikeston has better depth (although there was a noticeable drop-off in platoons last night at least), and ND had to expend so much energy just to get the game close again that they were gassed by the last 2 or 3 minutes.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 12:55 PM

So is it fair to say that guard play is of the utmost importance for both teams in a potential ND/Sikeston 'ship?

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 1:01 PM
  • I think Ciri hit the nail on the head. Sikeston has to beat Cape Central first, something they haven't been able to do the last three match-ups, the last two at the Field House. All of this talk of a championship game with ND is therefore premature. I'm sure Coach Holifield is only focused on the Tigers right now.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 1:24 PM
  • Yes cap'n ur correct, in the ND-sikes game in Dec nd had no one to bring the ball up court vs the press. They were throwing balls all over the place and rarely ran a halfcourt offense that nite. They went on to win like 19 outta twenty games after that so perhaps they have fixed their guard issues. And as mentioned Ressle didnt play against us that nite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 2:13 PM

I've got to think Ressel makes a difference. That said, there's just no way to predict these games. Tops-ups all around; nothing will surprise me.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 3:53 PM
  • The winner of the three will visit Zou land in two weeks.

Book it

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 4:10 PM
  • Hard to say with as wacky as the rankings were this year, but Westminster could put up a challenge in the quarterfinals.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 4:12 PM
  • I think as good as Westminsters record is, if u check their sched its pretty lame. I guarantee u Nd, cape and sikes have been thru much tougher wars than Minster. Of course Cape stumbled last year vs an inferior Farmington squad so upsets happen. The C4D1 champ should be favored by several buckets in the elite 8 game.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 4:21 PM

Agreed, Farm. I keep hearing "cakewalk" in reference to the District 1 winner's path to Como, but Westminster is a concern. They might prove me wrong, of course, but you can't write teams off at that point of the tourney.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Wed, Mar 4, 2015, at 4:23 PM
  • Interesting...Lafayette, the #1 ranked team in Class 4, lost in the district semi-final.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 10:37 AM

Ummm wowzers.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 10:50 AM
  • Noteworthy, although I'm not sure how relevant based on how bad this year's polls seem to have been.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 10:54 AM
  • Cape beats sikeston by 7 and then beats ND by 4

-- Posted by bench warmer on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 1:04 PM
  • Radio station the C-town vs NMCC games is on?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 1:43 PM

ND. Sikeston. District final. As it should be.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 9:59 PM
  • Anyone know when the finals are?

-- Posted by Sims,V on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 11:11 PM

Tomorrow night. Sikeston/Dexter girls at 6 followed by ND/Sikeston boys.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 11:15 PM
  • Right on Captain appreciate that my man.

-- Posted by Sims,V on Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 11:24 PM
  • I can't wait for tonight at the field house. The lady bearcats reign will end as the lady dogs pressure defense will be to much and the momentum will carry over for the boy red dogs and nd will have no answer for thatch.

-- Posted by Doc Brown on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 9:33 AM
  • Or...Dexter beats Sikeston again and Notre Dame extends their winning streak. I like that better.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 9:49 AM
  • Farmboy where's your wife? She needs to wash your mouth out with soap.

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 10:03 AM
  • Dont get on Mrs T's bad side Mr Farmer, i been there and it aint pretty jus sayin...

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 10:30 AM
  • Lol, we don't want to do that then.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 10:36 AM
  • Ya are funny

-- Posted by TFA on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 10:44 AM
  • Looks like you called it, Farmboy!

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 9:40 PM
  • Oo, I don't want to go there lol. That was just my wishful thinking. I picked right on the girls side but I fully expected Sikeston to pull it off on the boys side. Tough to beat them on their home court.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 9:46 PM
  • I congratulate coach Schonhoff and his program. There isn't a girls coach in the area that wouldn't like to have what he has done at Sikeston. They may have come up a few points short in the district, but they have much to look forward to from that program. That is a good bunch of girls.

-- Posted by lbearcatfan on Mon, Mar 9, 2015, at 8:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: