Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Key Games (Week of Jan. 25)

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 12:53 AM:

In the aftermath of one of the worst WWE Royal Rumble PPV's in recent history, I sit down to bring you the latest edition of "Key Games"! The Royal Rumble match itself was terrible with an entirely predictable win by Roman Reigns and no appearance by Sting. The only good things about it were an incredible triple-threat match for the World Heavyweight Championship, Bray Wyatt's performance in the Rumble, and an appearance by the Rock at the end.

With that off my chest, we now return to this week's slate of "Key Games." The marquee match-up this week is Poplar Bluff at Cape Central on Friday night. Two of the best teams in our area with some of the best players squaring off in a crucial SEMO Conference battle. Chris Stocks will lead his Mules to the Jungle to face Andre Statum's and Al Young's Tigers. That should truly be a great game!

A close second is Hayti at Scott County Central on Tuesday night. Two up-tempo teams facing off and the match-up between Hayti's Indaquel Presbury and SCC's Jeffrey Porter will be one to see! In addition, Jackson travels to Pacific (my old home town) to battle the #7 ranked team in Class 4. Which tribe of Indians will prevail and who will get scalped?

We should also call attention to Meadow Heights taking on state-ranked South Iron in a big road test. South Iron is currently ranked #4 in Class 1. Meadow Heights is having one of its best seasons in recent memory, but it will be a tall order for the Panthers to knock off South Iron.

There are two conference tournaments this week. The Stoddard County Activities Assoc. Conference Tournament (SCAA) tips off Monday night at Bloomfield. Bernie is the top seed, followed by Woodland, then Dexter, then Advance at #4. But the league has so much parity that any of the top six seeds could win it all.

On Tuesday night, the Big Springs Conference Tournament (BSCT) begins at Couch High School. It only features 2 teams in our coverage area (Ellington and Van Buren), but we will keep an eye on it just the same. Winona (ranked #10 in Class 1) is the #1 seed, Southern Reyolds\Ellington is #2, Couch is #3, and Eminence is #4.

Sikeston travels to O'Fallon, MO, to play in the Fort Zumwalt North Invitational Tournament (FZNT). The Bulldogs are the #3 seed and will begin play Tuesday night. We will track all three of these tournaments as the week progresses.

In addition to our usual run-down of conference and district games and big rivalries, an added wrinkle to "Key Games" beginning this week is to highlight games between teams ranked in our "Slam Dunk Top 10." The second edition, written by our old friend BuckMajor, should be out soon. We have several games this week between our Top 10 teams. Numbers in parentheses represent their current rank in the Slam Dunk Top 10. In addition to aforementioned battles between Poplar Bluff vs. Cape Central and Hayti vs. SCC, our 9th ranked team, Park Hills Central (also ranked #6 in Class 3) travels down to Notre Dame to take on the Bulldogs.

Let me again thank everyone who took the time to read and post last week! "Key Games" remains one of the most popular weekly threads on Semoball and that wouldn't be possible without you. We had 335 posts as of this writing and I hope we can break that mark this week!

I'm also appreciative of my Semoball partner BuckMajor for using "Key Games" for his weekly Pick'Em thread. That is a great game and I urge you to check it out and get involved!

As always feel free to post scores, updates, corrections, predictions, debate outcomes, etc. But most importantly, go out and see some of these "Key Games"! Unless otherwise notes, all games begin at 6 p.m.

Monday, January 26:

1. #1 (8) Bernie vs. #8 Richland, SCAA Rd. 1, 6:30 p.m.

2. #3 Dexter vs. #6 Puxico, SCAA Rd. 1, 8 p.m.

3. Portageville at Gideon.

4. East Carter County at Greenville.

5. Risco at East Prairie.

Tuesday, January 27:

1. #2 Woodland vs. #7 Bell City, SCAA Rd. 1, 6:30 p.m.

2. #4 Advance vs. #5 Bloomfield, SCAA Rd. 1, 8 p.m.

3. #3 Sikeston vs. #6 Troy, FZNT Rd. 1, 7 p.m.

4. #2 Ellington (Southern Reynolds) vs. #7 Van Buren, BSCT Rd. 1, 4 p.m.

5. (10) Hayti at (6) SCC.

6. (4) Jackson at Pacific.

7. (9) Park Hills Central at (3) Notre Dame.

8. (1) NMCC at South Pemiscot.

9. (7) Charleston at Caruthersville.

10. Perryville at (5) Cape Central.

11. Senath-Hornersville at Campbell.

12. Clarkton at Kennett.

13. Risco at Gideon.

14. Holcomb at Malden.

Thursday, Jan. 29:

1. Caruthersville at South Pemiscot.

2. Senath-Hornersville at Marmaduke, AR.

Friday, January 30:

1. (2) Poplar Bluff at (5) Cape Central.

2. (7) Charleston at Kennett.

3. (10) Hayti at East Prairie.

4. Clarkton at Portageville.

5. Perryville at Scott City.

6. Gideon at Cooter.

7. Senath-Hornersville at Delta C-7.

8. East Carter County at Twin Rivers.

9. Doniphan at Malden.

10. Meadow Heights at South Iron.

11. Neelyville at South Pemiscot.

12. SCAA 3rd Place and Championship Games, TBA.

13. FZNT 3rd Place and Championship Games, TBA.

Saturday, Jan. 31:

1. Perryville vs. St. Vincent, Perry Park Center, 3:30 p.m.

2. BSCT 3rd Place and Championship Games, TBA.

Replies (304)

• Poplar Bluff also plays St.Charles this Saturday. So that's two teams ranked in the top 10 of class 4. Should be a good test for Bluff in both games.

-- Posted by runnerguy on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 7:28 AM
  • should be a very good game to watch, Poplar Bluff vs. St. Charles. BTW Bluff is Class 5 not Class 4.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 7:48 AM
  • Preach, you may want to consider Notre Dame vs. Jackson, on Friday night. Rematch of the Christmas tourney finals and should be a very good game between two fine teams.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 7:54 AM
  • Runner guy, I didn't know about Bluff's game on Sat. It isn't listed on their Semoball schedule but that will be another great game for them.

Semo Ref, according to Cape's schedule on Semoball, the ND game is next Tuesday. Is that not correct?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 8:41 AM
  • Preach, Notre Dame vs. Jackson not Cape on Friday. ND vs Cape is next Tuesday.

-- Posted by semo ref on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:03 AM

Great batch of games this week!Appreciate all that you do preach! I look forward to this thread every week!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:22 AM
  • Wow! How could I have missed that game?! Good catch Semo Ref! Thanks!

Add this game to Friday's List of Key Games:

14. (3) Notre Dame at (4) Jackson.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:30 AM
  • I believe this friday Valle Catholic goes to Father Tolten. Tolten is ranked number one in class 3

-- Posted by ESPN05 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:35 AM

Wow Tolten is very very tough this year.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:44 AM

Can't wait to get down to Bloomfield. One of the perks of being media is the hospitality room haha. Them good ole folks down in Bloomfield that are in charge of their hospitality room know how to put one together! Their food is the best out of all the hospitality rooms I have ever been to! Besides my wife's kitchen of course ;) haha!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:48 AM
  • Semo ref I know bluff is class 5. I was pointing out that bluff has two games against two top 10 teams from class 4.

-- Posted by runnerguy on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:07 AM
  • ckaer23 just whot is a holsplitality room Bucko? i needs some splaining bout it bub.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:09 AM

Hospitality room is the room where the media and coaches and game officials and staff get Togo and eat food in a room for free. Very yummy in Bloomfield. I believe that the home economics class is the ones that prepare it. Correct me if I'm wrong but who ever puts it together, hats off to you!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:24 AM
  • I forgot to check Valle's schedule ESPN05. Thanks for posting that game. That's another one to add to the list!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:29 AM

I believe Michael Porter Jr. that plays for Tolten moved up to #2 in the nation in his class in the latest ESPN rankings. See what a couple viral highlight dunks will do for you haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:45 AM
  • Thanks for the kind words cker23! I hope to see you at Bloomfield this week.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 12:27 PM

Oh I will be there this week haha. Not going to miss this tourney!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 12:47 PM
  • The following games can be seen live this week on YHC-TV and SemoSportsZone.com:

1. Tuesday: Risco at Gideon, 7:30 p.m.

2. Thursday: St. James at Dexter (girls), 7:30 p.m.

3. Friday: SCAA JV 3rd Place Game, 4 p.m.; SCAA JV Championship, 5:30 p.m.; SCAA Varsity 3rd Place Game, 7 p.m.; SCAA Varsity Championship, 8:30 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 12:52 PM
  • I'm probably the only one on here that doesn't know but the Michael Porter jr you're talking about is he any relation to the Porters I've known in this area??

-- Posted by Duxzone on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 2:18 PM

No he isn't any relation. I had wondered the same thing earlier this year haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 2:31 PM
  • Thanks buckMajor , I just haven't been on here that much and was just wondering so thanks again!!

-- Posted by Duxzone on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 3:29 PM

No problem!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 3:47 PM
  • PFM - The SCAA tournament times on Friday should be as follows:

JV 3rd Place - 4:00

Varsity 3rd Place - 5:30

JV Championship - 7:00

Varsity Championship - 8:30

-- Posted by robbincrosby on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 4:57 PM
  • Thanks for the correction, robbincrosby.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 5:31 PM
  • Bernie leads Richland 17-10 after 1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 6:41 PM
  • Bernie leads Richland 17-10 after 1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 6:44 PM

Nice. Not to bad.

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 7:00 PM

Bernie score?

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 8:09 PM
  • Bernie 77-51 just a tad more than the 12 you predicted

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 8:33 PM
  • Dexter 57, Puxico 34. Best defensive game Dexter has played all year for the Bearcats. They held Puxico to 7 first half points.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:42 PM

Haha yeah. I actually said 12 plus. Which means 12 or more lol!

-- Posted by cker23 on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:55 PM
  • Other Scores From Monday:

1. East Carter County 85, Greenville 59.

2. Scott City 70, Leopold 25.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 9:55 PM
  • Some pretty good games this evening at the SCAA in Bloomfield.

Bernie JV took the first game against Puxico.

Observations:

- Bernie has an excellent group of 6 Freshman and 2 Sophomores that play well as a group.

- The freshman group of Brown, Pippns, Hobgood, Littelton, Comstock, Dillinger are possibly one of the best freshman groups I've seen in Stoddard County.

- Puxico has a very bright future with several players that I can see developing into top SCAA players in the next several years. Dalton King and Levi Woods are nice nice players as Freshman.

Then Bernie took their game against Richland.

A few observations:

- If Richland limited their turnovers this is a much closer game. They shot some nice outside shots and scored inside on Bernie. And looked better than the score reflects. Mr Ellenburg as as usual played some nice ball. Sparks and Vernon as usual form an excellent outside tandem with great ball handling. Forwards Gavin Smith and Trammell are excellent players in the system that Bernie is running.

Final Game of the night Dexter wins vs Puxico:

Observations:

- Dexter plays a nice physical defensive game, especially inside. Watching the post area you can see they are not afraid of the officials calling fouls on their physical post play do to having a deeper team than most all of the teams they play in this tournament. Lots and lots of shoving/pushing that generally pushes the envelope of what is allowed in the post area. They have several sizable inside players that appear suited for playing offensive line.

- Puxico had tons of shots in the lane, at the rim, and open shots that just didn't fall. They were extremely extremely cold tonight.

- Puxico has some excellent inside players with size in Tucker, Luttrell, and Burch.

- Poor ball handling and unforced turnovers would have made this a much closer game.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:24 PM
  • -- Posted by Best Buddies on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:24 PM

If there was so much pushing and shoving, and physical play in the post; how was Puxico able to get all of those wide open, at the rim, easy shots?...Do you really dislike Dexter that much?

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:35 PM
  • -- Posted by Best Buddies on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:24 PM

And how does poor ball handling and unforced turnovers make for a CLOSER game?

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:37 PM
  • Lots of unforced turnovers and poor ball handling in this game. Take that out of the equation and you have a much closer game. Pretty simple. Puxico additionally had a ton of shots in close that just didn't fall. I would love to go over the shot chart in this game. Just wasn't their night tonight.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:47 PM
  • That's not what you said earlier, but thanks for clearing that up.

What is your definition of a deep team?

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 10:56 PM
  • Dexter only goes about 7 or 8 players deep.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:01 PM
  • I would say 7 at best...

-- Posted by BonScott on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:06 PM
  • True, seven guys get the majority of the PT, but depending on the game and the foul situation, Addison Moore comes off the bench to give the team some quality minutes like he did tonight.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:09 PM
  • I think the word excellent may be a bit overused when describing tonight's play at the SCAA tournament.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:11 PM
  • I actually think Dexter is has a lot of players that play good physical defense in the post area and on the ball. Overall the 8 players or so that they use are pretty effective on the court. They can also match up with anyone in this tournament inside on defense physically. And Mr Jarrell is a pretty good player.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Mon, Jan 26, 2015, at 11:47 PM

If woodland knocks off Bell City tonight, I would like to see just how physical the post gets when woodland matches up with Dexter.

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 4:40 AM

Does any one know the scores of P-ville Gideon or Risco East Prarie from last night?

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:00 AM

East Prairie 77, Risco 53

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:11 AM

Gideon defeated Portageville 55-52. Don't know about the other one, but I can try and find out.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:11 AM

And there you go haha!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:12 AM

Thanks Guys much appreciated!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:53 AM
  • Tonight's game between NMCC and South Pemiscot is at New Madrid not South Pem as I incorrectly listed it above. Sorry about that!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 11:30 AM
  • Bernie 77, Richland 51

Dexter 57, Puxico 34

Gideon 55, Portageville 52

East Prairie 77, Risco 53

-- Posted by bleachermania on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 11:39 AM
  • Cker23,

Your going to see it. They are pretty physical on people in the lane, post area, and it doesn't matter if the player doesn't have the ball yet. It is basically up to the officials to call stuff that goes beyond what is allowed. Players will play as physical as the officials let them. I have seen some things, such as thrown elbows that I know get under the skin of any player. Last night a player tossed the ball off one of Puxico's players faces after a foul was called at mid court and no T was called. It was simply ignored.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 12:28 PM
  • I don't ordinarily agree with Best Buddies. But I have to concur with his assessment regarding the ball being thrown at the Puxico player. I don't understand had a tech was not called there. It appeared that the official did his best to convince everyone that he did not see what happened, even though it was clear he did.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 12:58 PM
  • just whot you cryn bout best butty? whot just is this pyshical pay yuou talkin bout Bucko? why have to tklk bout the bearcats like that bub? why pixico payer not throw ball bac k to the dxexter payer then bub? i be ther and not see that Bucko and eat at hopistality room also has a sandwitch and some soda pop.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 1:07 PM
  • Hey bearcat1forall I looked for you at the game last night to nuu you some "poopcorn and soder" but I couldn't find you. I never thought to look in the hospitality room for you!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 2:17 PM
  • These are the reasons everyone in the SCAA cheers against Dexter, of course unless you are from Dexter.

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 2:21 PM
  • Buy you some that is. Now I'm even starting to sound like bearcat!

And the Dexter player was very lucky not to have gotten a technical foul call called on him.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 2:23 PM
  • Devildog you took it too far. That's not what I'm saying. Any kid from ANY school can lose their cool. As far as I'm concerned it has nothing to do with the kid or school. I was just surprised the official didn't call anything on it. But maybe the officials didn't see it after all.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 2:29 PM

bearcat always finds a way to access the free food apparently haha ;)

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 2:34 PM

bearcat1forall in his real life might be a Ivy League graduate i am starting to think!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 3:37 PM
  • These are the reasons everyone in the SCAA cheers against Dexter, of course unless you are from Dexter.

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 2:21 PM

No. It's because Dexter is the biggest school. I like to call it the NY Yankee syndrome.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 3:40 PM
  • I will have to sneak down to the hospitality room and get some free food.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 4:27 PM
  • I I call it like I see it. You call it like you see it.

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 5:19 PM

Bump

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 6:28 PM

Woodland and Bell City tied at 10 after 1

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 6:55 PM
  • Woodland up 31-30 over Bell City at halftime.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:08 PM
  • Was just driving back south from STL and listened to an interview with the coach from ND on KFMO. They asked him why they played such small schools?? Lmao!! There's like 30 kids difference you morons! Haha!! Wouldn't expect anything less from that group of arrogant **** ants!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:13 PM
  • I I call it like I see it. You call it like you see it.

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 5:19 PM

So you NEVER see players from other teams do similar things?...Interesting.

-- Posted by BonScott on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:15 PM

NMCC JV defeats South Pemiscot 76-62.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:16 PM

Portageville JV defeats North Pem 43-20

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:17 PM
  • Sooo...the coach was asked a question, and it makes the school, coach, and team arrogant? Not sure I follow you there Fruit Loop.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:25 PM
  • Sikeston boys lead Troy Buchanan 16-10 at the end of the first quarter in the Fort Zumwalt North Tournament.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:28 PM
  • Second-seeded Woodland leads seventh-seeded Bell City 44-42 at the end of the third quarter in the SCAA Conference Tournament.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:29 PM
  • Sikeston score was 26-10 after the first quarter.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:31 PM
  • Yes I was about to correct my typo, thank you FarmBoy06.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:35 PM
  • Saw on Twitter that Coach Hollifield is going for win number 300 tonight.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:36 PM
  • Jackson leads Pacific 34-14 at halftime.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:39 PM
  • Hayti JV defeats SCC 67-24

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:40 PM

bearcat1forall = Thug Life (if you don't get the joke, YouTube it)

-- Posted by secretagentman on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:41 PM
  • I heard that cville jv beat charleston tonight. Cville will be one of the best teams in two years.

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:43 PM
  • You realize how many freshman/underclassmen that Charleston plays up?

-- Posted by Areaguy on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:45 PM
  • Kelly boys lead Saxony Lutheran 20-7 at the end of the first.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:46 PM
  • Notre Dame leads Park Hills 16-9 after one. Quinn with 13.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:46 PM
  • Sikeston up 35-22 at halftime over Troy Buchanan.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:47 PM
  • Woodland defeats Bell City 65-62.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:51 PM
  • *65-52. Ugh.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:52 PM

NMCC leads South Pemiscot 21-13 after 1.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:54 PM
  • Not the school Farmboy...the people doing the interviewing trying to stir up crap!

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:56 PM
  • I obviously didn't hear the interview in context, but that doesn't really sound like something insulting to me.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 7:58 PM
  • You have a good point but in two years Cville will be loaded in football and basketball and baseball. Kennett will also be very good in these sports as well

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:01 PM
  • If you knew the ones doing the interviewing you would know! Lol! Really sounded like they tried to encite Unterienner by asking the question.

-- Posted by Fruit Hoops on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:01 PM

NMCC now up 33-20 in the 2nd

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:01 PM

37-20

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:02 PM
  • Does anybody have a cville charleston score and a new Madrid south pem score

-- Posted by Kennett fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:03 PM
  • Hey Legend. Any comments about the officiating tonite? Sometimes rooting for a team makes it look different. I'm talking but Woodland @Bell City. Was not at the game but 3 people that were mentioned the referee's. Thanks

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:04 PM
  • Notre Dame leads Park Hills Central 37-25 at half. Quinn with 24 points.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:05 PM

Cville JV won 54-48. Never trailed. Varsity isn't fairing so well down 47-29 at the half. Future looks good for Cville in the next couple years. Charleston always reloads, even on supposed down years.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:06 PM

NMCC leads South Pem 43-25 at the half.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:08 PM
  • SCC 18, Hayti 9 after 1

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:09 PM
  • Sikeston leads Troy 50-42 after 3.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:11 PM

SCC leads Hayti 18-9 after 1

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:12 PM
  • Sikeston leading 50-45. Might end up with an exciting finish.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:13 PM
  • Kennett 51 Clarkton 37 at half.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:15 PM
  • Gideon defeated Risco 61-47.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:18 PM
  • Im sure the Bell City fans were not happy with officiating. Case in point Woodland-Bloomfield game last Fri nite. BHS fans were complaining about fouls but it was Bloomfield shooting double bonus in first half and both teams in double bonus with about 4 minutes left in game. Tonite WHS up 2 end of 3rd end up winning by 13!?!?!? Im sure BC fans are looking for any reason or excuse

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:19 PM

NMCC up 51-25 in the third. Playing good D tonight

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:20 PM
  • Sikeston leading Troy by 11 with 4:02 left in the game.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:21 PM

Nmcc up 56-28

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:24 PM

Bloomfield leads Advance 11-6

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:25 PM
  • Sikeston up 10 with about a minute left in the game. They'll get the win against Troy.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:28 PM

SCC leads Hayti 39-23

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:28 PM
  • Notre Dame leads Park Hills Central 57-34 after three. Quinn with a new career high 32 points. School record is 45. I'm guessing that won't happen with a 23 point lead.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:31 PM

Scc up 42-23 at the half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:32 PM

NMCC leads South Pem 62-34 after 3.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:33 PM
  • senath 33-28 over campbell at half. Campbell playing hard!

-- Posted by BFan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:33 PM

Portageville defeats North Pem 64-37

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:34 PM
  • Sikeston won 70-59

-- Posted by TFA on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:37 PM

NMCC up 72-37 with 2 minutes left

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:40 PM

Bloomfield leads Advance 23-20 at half

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:42 PM
  • I didn't see anything wrong with the Woodland-BC officiating tonight. I believe the Woodland fans were the ones upset. Thanks semoball68.

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:42 PM

NMCC defeats South Pemiscot 76-39. Great statement win!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:43 PM
  • The reason Bell City lost is because they are young and cracked under pressure. They quit attacking the basket and turned the ball over in the 4th quarter.

-- Posted by Devildog76 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:45 PM

In a very "un-key" game Oran 56, Oak Ridge 27.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:47 PM
  • Notre Dame defeats Park Hills Central 78-48 for their 12th straight. Quinn finished with 40 points.

ND could make a big statement in the next couple weeks as they'll face Jackson, Bernie, Poplar Bluff, and Cape on the road.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:48 PM
  • Oh Larry, don't be modest.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 8:49 PM

Bloomfield up 34-32 after 3

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:03 PM

Advance has taken their first lead in the 4Q

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:05 PM

SCC defeats Hayti 77-41. Kinda thought it would be closer than that.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:06 PM

Bloomfield regains a 40-36 lead

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:08 PM

Congrats to coach Holifield on his 300th win.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:09 PM

40-39 Bloomfield, 3:20 left

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:11 PM
  • Other Finals From Tuesday:

1. Jackson 65, Pacific 44.

2. Portageville 64, North Pemiscot 37.

3. South Iron 80, Fredericktown 32.

4. Ste. Genevieve 75, St. Vincent 42.

5. Greenville 74, Naylor 48.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:14 PM

Charleston won the varsity game 89-72. Great effort by the Tigers tonight. They're improving with each game. I know losing by 17 isn't something to brag about but since early in the season, this team is starting to play tons better.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:14 PM

Bloomfield up 42-41 with 30 secs left. Advance ball

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:18 PM

AND Advance hits fadeaway jumper with 6 secs left and take the lead! BF ball and a timeout

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:20 PM
  • What a game. Heck of a finish.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:21 PM

ANNNNND Peyton Bell hits a 3 with 0.8 seconds on the board. Bloomfield defeats Advance 45-43.

Shoutout to Ben Striker for the play by plays

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:21 PM
  • Scott County Central 77, Hayti 41. I have to say I expected Hayti to give SCC a better game than that.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:25 PM
  • Zalma 84, Meadow Heights 77. That's another good win for Zalma as MH is have a pretty good season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:31 PM
  • Cape Central 74, Perryville 55. That's a big district win for Cape.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:37 PM
  • A big shout-out to my buddy Peyton Bell on the game-winning shot!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:38 PM
  • Two very good games tonight.

Bell City played hard, and had great effort.

Bloomfield / Advance was very exciting. Bloomfield slowed things down a bit and I think that made a difference, kept the score low. Hope Thursdays games can match these.

-- Posted by Hightops on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 9:57 PM
  • Kelly 64, Saxony Lutheran 51. Glad to see my alma mater winning some games and heading in the right direction.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:13 PM

The Dexter- Woodland game will be a good one!

-- Posted by cker23 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:30 PM
  • Gideon 61, Risco 47

Portageville 64, North Pemiscot 37

New Madrid 77, South Pemiscot 39

Scott County Central 77, Hayti 41

Delta C-7 92, Southland 27

Charleston 89, Caruthersville 72

-- Posted by bleachermania on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:31 PM
  • glad to see Kelly win some games also. Seems like Coach Garnett is doing a nice job.

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Tue, Jan 27, 2015, at 10:40 PM
  • Senath Hornersville 83, Campbell 66

Kennett 92, Clarkton 65

-- Posted by bleachermania on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 6:24 AM
  • Who is the coach at Kelly, would that be Ryan Garnett?

-- Posted by EC243 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 8:46 AM
  • Yes it is.

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 9:04 AM

I just want to say, Bell City did a great job last night against woodland. Cj Hadley had them cubs ready to play. I also want to say how good I thought Garrett Reynolds done last night. Bell City had rotating defenders on him the entire night and held him scoreless in the first half. Same thing in the second half but Garrett fought through and had no easy shots the whole night and still managed to score 14. If anyone was there last night, they would say the same thing.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 10:13 AM
  • What are your thoughts on playing dexter, should be a good game

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 10:20 AM

Yes it should be a very good game Yaeger. Dexter has very much improved since the first time these 2 teams met. Woodland defeated Dexter by 20 on Dexter's homecoming. I look for Dexter to come back with a mind set of revenge. Jarrell had a monster game against Woodland scoring 29 but Beel also had a monster game against Dexter along with Reynolds. Beel had 33 and Reynolds had 27 that game. It should be a very good match up!

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 10:30 AM
  • Interesting match up.

Woodland should be hungry. They have not had many legitimate opportunities to win the county championship like they do this year.

Dexter is playing better and their kids are also hungry. They are playing with something to prove.

It's going to be a good game.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 10:33 AM

I agree!

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 10:34 AM
  • Dexter has really stepped up its defense and is getting balanced scoring, so I look for a much closer game than the first time the two teams played.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:13 AM
  • cker I think you got games mixed up Reynolds had 31 and Beel 21 in Dexter game. Beel had 33 and Reynolds 27 in the Charleston game at Semo Christ. Tourney. Not being hateful just wanted to clarify that.

-- Posted by Semoball68 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:18 AM

How has crowds been at Bloomfield?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:19 AM
  • Really good crowds on Monday night.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:32 AM
  • i look for u lat nite peacher man fan an just and i jou you w i could not find you Bucko. just whot you wearin bub? bes sody poop and popcorn i has all year. gots to see couch corns win game at 3 pont line and boomfield wins.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:43 AM
  • Couch Corns could shoot it in the 90's and 2015!!!

-- Posted by oldschool3 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:53 AM

Yes, my apologies sir haha

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 11:54 AM
  • Sorry bearcat I wasn't there last night! I will definitely be there on Friday night, so I will look you up then Bucko!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 12:14 PM
  • i not bee there fiday nite peacher man fan gone be flewing to east cost for bunisess Bucko. just you bee there morrow nite bub? i mite go butt have get pucked for the trip bub. whot you wearin cuker23 on the fm stnation you nouncing on Bucko?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 12:36 PM
  • Sorry again bearcat but I don't think I'll be there Thursday either.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 2:49 PM
  • I fully expect the Woodland vs the Yankees to be a pretty good game. Looking at both teams it appears that Woodland has more basketball players. The Yankees are more of a physical team playing with some football players springled in with a couple basketball players. Which creates a physical team. One thing is apparent from watching the Yankees, they move the ball around very fast while passing and have benefited from a number of the offensive sets that where obviously brought to the team from one of the coaches. It's clearly visible when watching the game. Why this hasn't translated to more wins against schools more their size is surprising. But unfortunately they struggle against schools more their size. It's really not much of an accomplishment to beat up on schools that have about 1/6th or less of a student body of possible players to pull from. It's expected and as a former player I would expect to beat smaller schools when I played and we did. A true accomplishment is beating schools that are larger than you that you are obviously not expected to beat.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 3:32 PM
  • Is this a great, funny post thinly disguised as being serious? Is there really a team called the Yankees that I've never heard of? Are there any horse socks? Is anyone listening to me?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 3:55 PM
  • -- Posted by Best Buddies on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 3:32 PM

Lol Best Buddies!! I love sarcasm. That was good. I'm glad to see it still bothers you that Dexter beat Bernie. But try not to let it effect your family life...cheers!🍻

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 4:38 PM
  • Best Buddies, when you were "playing" at that bigger school, did you whine and complain about the physical play in the post?

-- Posted by BonScott on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 4:44 PM
  • Sikeston leads 18-11 over Hazelwood East after one.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 6:11 PM
  • Sikeston leading Hazelwood East 32-23 at half time.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 6:30 PM

Idk bearcat lol my wardrobe changes quite frequently haha I guess what ever is not in the dirty clothes hamper haha. Last night I was wearing a blue shirt.

-- Posted by cker23 on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 6:43 PM

Sikeston wins 66-54 to improve to 10-7.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 7:16 PM

Thatch had 25 and apparently Frank Haith was in the house to check him out.

Blissett finished with 19.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Jan 28, 2015, at 7:21 PM

Bump

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 8:38 AM
  • cucker23 just whot you have on wearin 2nite Bucko? i mite shoud be there bub. can u splain how i get on rado with you bub? i mite wont to talk bout game if my uncle billy take me to game. u thinks u can git me poopcorn and sodie pop bub?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:29 AM

hahahah bearcat, I don't know if I can get you on the radio but I can definitely buy you poopcorn and sodie pop bub! My father and I do the games but ill be wearing a dark gray t-shirt haha. We will be set up on the stage. We will cover the woodland-dexter game but will be watching the Bernie game bucko!

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:43 AM
  • just com on now cucker23 i coul be famouas one day Bucko. i be wear supraman shirt with jeans and air jodans bub. uncl billy wear basball hat an over hauls. him truck boke down last nite3 and he gunna fick it today bub.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 12:15 PM
  • Senath plays Marmaduke, AR today

-- Posted by MHS08 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 12:50 PM

Bearcat.... lol you kill me... almost literally. While reading that, I was eating a pulled pork sandwich. Extreme laughter generally starts by one inhaling deeply. As I inhaled, I inhaled a half sandwich down my throat.lol so for a good half minute I was choking in laughter lol.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 1:17 PM
  • Tonight's Key Games:

1. Caruthersville at South Pemiscot.

2. Senath-Hornersville at Marmaduke, AR.

3. #1 Bernie vs. #5 Bloomfield, SCAA Semi-Finals, 7 p.m.

4. #2 Woodland vs. #3 Dexter, SCAA Semi-Finals, 8:30 p.m.

5. #2 Southern Reynolds/Ellington vs. #6 Alton, BSCT Semi-Finals, 8:30 p.m.

6. St. James at Dexter (girls), 6 p.m. (This game will be broadcast live on YHC-TV and SemoSportsZone.com).

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 2:00 PM
  • I will be seated on stage tonight taking in the games at the SCAA with my media pass. I look forward to eating some of that great food. If your looking for me, I'll be there and you can't miss me.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 2:44 PM
  • Best Buddies, please give the cover up a rest!

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 2:55 PM

Best buddies, I know you will be there for the Bernie game but will you be sticking around for the dexter-Woodland game?

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 4:01 PM
  • I definitely want to see the Woodland vs Dexter game. It is going to be a very very good game. I absolutely like watching Mr Reynolds game. He is fun to watch.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 4:12 PM
  • Reynolds vs. Jarrell will a great match-up. I think a big key will be if Kronk and Pollack can shut down Beel like they have Vandiver and Ellenberg.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 4:31 PM
  • Excellent match ups tonight guys.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 4:43 PM
  • cker23, what channel do you broadcast the game on?

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 5:08 PM

104.1 FM KMHM sir.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 5:55 PM
  • Thanks

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 5:57 PM

Not a problem!

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 7:10 PM

20-18 Bernie over Bloomfield at the half

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 7:17 PM
  • Bernie 41 Bloomfield 40 29 seconds

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 7:59 PM
  • Bernie wins 44-40

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 8:03 PM
  • Dustin's home boys just got beat!!! No threes tonight for Dustin to take photos off! Lol

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 8:10 PM
  • What's happ in the Dexter vs Woodland game?

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:21 PM

51-50 Dexter with about 4 min to play last I heard

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:27 PM

Woodland takes 54-53 lead with 2 minutes left

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:30 PM

Woodland up 58-55, 50 secs, Dexter bal

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:34 PM
  • tie game 58 with 29 seconds left

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:34 PM
  • Overtime

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:35 PM

OT!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:37 PM
  • South Pem beats Caruthersville 92-86 in overtime.

-- Posted by Shank on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:37 PM
  • Dexter 62 - 59 1:55 left

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:41 PM
  • Dexter 66 - 62 1:03 left

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:48 PM
  • Dexter 68-62 36sec left

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:51 PM
  • Dexter wins 71 - 65

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:54 PM
  • Great win for Coach Dowdy and the Bearcats!!

-- Posted by REDDIRT DOG on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:54 PM
  • I predicted a Bernie/Dexter final....

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 9:55 PM
  • Senath beats Marmaduke 75-71

Victor- 36 points

Kyle-19

Jessey- 17

-- Posted by MHS08 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:00 PM
  • Big win for the Bearcats! I think they scored all their points in OT from the charity stripe.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:13 PM
  • It was a great night for Dexter basketball overall. The JV and Varsity both advanced to the championship and the girls upset St. James, the #1 team in Class 3!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:17 PM
  • On paper Woodland has a much better team than Dexter. Their big men are extemely skilled in basketball and can score inside and outside. Reynolds is additionally one of the best players I have saw play. The kid dives all over the floor for balls and can draw offensive fouls on other players at will. Which is a true sign of a great player that has special talent. I have to also give him credit. One of the players from Yankees was saying things to him after he took a charge that were pretty out of line. Mr Reynolds was standing at half court waiting for the refs to come back across the court so he could inbound the ball. The player was saying he sucked something and repeated it a number of times. It was clearly heard and said. I would like to commend Mr Reynolds for not responding to it or acknowledging it was said by the player. He shows the true sportsmanship of a great player and someone that is above that kind of garbage. Hats off buddy! As for the player, your coach needs to be informed of your garbage.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:26 PM
  • Why don't you tell him then Best Buddies?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:47 PM
  • Other Finals From Thursday:

1. Meadow Heights 71, Kingston 47.

2. Valle Catholic 64, Valley (Caledonia) 34.

3. Dexter 74, St. James 63 (girls).

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:53 PM
  • -- Posted by Best Buddies on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 10:26 PM

More sarcasm from the guy that never got off the bench. I bet your blood pressure really spiked tonight Best Buddies. How physical did it get in the post? Did those "football" players run roughshod on Woodland and the refs turned a blind eye?...lol

Pretty good win for the Yankees...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:09 PM
  • It wouldnt matter if the coach or every teacher seen their (dexter) kids act crazy or yell or Cuss at other players they would be praised for it

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:10 PM

Hats off to Dexter tonight. Woodland has some miscues turn overs in the first half. Dexter did a good job capitalizing on that. Dexter shot the ball well from the free throw and three point line as well. I think if the ball had been fed to Beel down low more tonight he could of doubled his point total. Jarrell finished with 26. Reynolds and Beel with 20 and McCormick with 15. Reynolds ankle is fine. Just tweaked it a little bit. He will be ready to go tomorrow night. Kid is tough. I did witness some talk that was uncalled for on Dexters part on a inbounds play under the woodland basket. I will not mention it because I am a Christian man. Needless to say, it happens in a tense game.

-- Posted by cker23 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:17 PM
  • Is that better or worse than the Bernie TEACHER who slapped a Dexter student in the face at this very tournament?...I'm just curious...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:17 PM
  • Mulesfan77, this is the same Dexter school system that suspended two coaches and several football players for a tobacco violation last season, right?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:17 PM
  • Dexter also suspended two kids for two weeks from attending any basketball games because they ripped down a paper sign at Bernie. What did Bernie do to the cheerleaders who made some gestures toward the Dexter crowd? Is this what happens when Dexter wins? You people who are obviously jealous for whatever reason and take away from the fact that the bearcats won a basketball game. Pretty sad. Congrats to the bearcats for knocking off a talented Woodland team.

-- Posted by okachaw on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:25 PM
  • Hands down the worst sportsmanship I have seen in years

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:25 PM

Huge win for the lady bearcats!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:28 PM
  • Cker23,

I agree with a lot of what you said. It was a great game. Dexter plays very good defense and capitalized on a number of turnovers. It appeared Woodland struggled a bit in the back court on the traps that were thrown at them. I additionally think the skill and talent inside could have been utilized a bit more. Beel, McCormick, and Gramlisch are extremely talented and create match up issues for any team. Really a nice basketball team to watch.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:29 PM
  • Blah blah blah guess when the refs are walking around with little green hanging out of their pocket it's no big deal we know where it comes from lol seen lopsided games away from playing bernie

Bernie deserved to lose against dexter last time they played prolly their 2nd worse game of the year that night first was bell city But anyway who would be jealous of a 3A school beating a 2A school lol that's how it is suppose to be

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:32 PM
  • Mulesfan77

Thanks for confirming your idiocy.

-- Posted by okachaw on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:36 PM
  • -- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:32 PM

Comments like that will make you lose all credibility real quick...

Don't be a hater mulesfan. "Size" envy will eat you up from the inside. It won't make your spouse happy either...:)

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:36 PM
  • Mulesfan77, you have to be joking. Dexter is paying off the officials? Really? Then why aren't we undefeated?

Given your "arguments" Bernie should never beat Dexter and Dexter should win the SCAA every year, shouldn't they? But clearly that hasn't happened, so your "arguments" go out the window.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:38 PM
  • Lol :) just wanted to ruffle some bearcat supporters before the game.

:) calm down gentlemen I wasn't being serious about the green :p

I hope it is a great game tomorrow night and they let them play and leave it all on the floor.

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:41 PM
  • I just see how some of you all get bent out of shape really easily and what the heck is it about a teacher slapping a student? Figured I would see that on the news somewhere

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:43 PM
  • Dexter is class 4. There is no "A" designation anymore. Best buddies, did you happen to be at the first game a few weeks ago when Woodland played at Dexter to see the wonderful sportsmanship exhibited in that game?

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:45 PM
  • My bad Class 4 VS Class 2

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:49 PM
  • mulesfan, I'm not bent out of shape. It's high school basketball for God sake. Plus I don't have a horse in the race...I just can't stand irrational comments from people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. Leave it on the floor with the kids...

-- Posted by BonScott on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:50 PM
  • Got to admit guys, the big man Gabe Jackson for Dexter ate Bernie alive on the inside in that JV game tonight. They had absolutely no answer. They had a nice strategy of clogging the lane with basically a 2-1-2 that worked in the 1st half. But they fell apart after halftime. Dexter threw the back court traps at them and the turnovers poured in.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Thu, Jan 29, 2015, at 11:54 PM
  • everyone always sees things through rose colored glasses when it come to their team. Every team has kids that do things that they wish they would not have and every school has a dumb dumb fan every now and then. Adults usually act way worse than the kids. We all have a story or two about how badly we thought someone acted. Nobody is exempt from this.

Dexter people have a chip on their shoulder because they feel unfairly attacked by bernie folk. . Bernie folks think the Dexter folk think they are better than bernie folk. boo freaking hoo. If more adults acted the way they were supposed to a lot of this would be resolved.

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:00 AM
  • Bonscott i agree with just about everything you say but it's pretty obvious you're a bearcat fan. Good luck to the cats tomorrow night

-- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:03 AM
  • Was good games tonight. I thought Bernie just took the game from Bloomfield. Hustle plays. Good defense and just a "will be win attitude". Bloomfield's very young. I was impressed with them. Dexter plays good defense. Dexter took care of the ball, hit some shots, lay-ups and hit their free-throws. Woodland is very talented. What I noticed more than anything about Woodland, they can't dribble left-handed especially when sped up. They are dribbling up the left side right-handed. They lost the ball several times. Reynolds can sometimes but not other guards. Their big kids are just good. Fun games. Got to see several great friends.#livetoseeanothergame

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:04 AM
  • Did anyone else see the excellent man defense Devin Tramell played on Noah Vandiver! That was an unbelievable great matchup. I've been telling people all year. Noah Vandiver is just to fast when coming off screens as he slashes to the basket to guard in a zone. An absolute genious on BB's part to identify that and match him up with and outstanding defensive player that can move his feet. That and the contributon from Alex Whitehead tonight hitting those threes.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:04 AM
  • -- Posted by ozzyandharriet on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:00 AM

Good points....And like I said, I have no horse in the race. I'm just a basketball fan that's been around awhile.

-- Posted by BonScott on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:07 AM
  • I think all of the Bernie people are mad because Dexter has Jordan McGowan on their sideline!

-- Posted by Ron Burgundy on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:31 AM
  • Me too BonScott. Still getting around.. No horse here either. If Dexter plays like tonight, I think they win. Bernie's defense will really have to step up to win this game.

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:42 AM
  • Who?

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:43 AM
  • I guess since Dexter can't beat Bernie, they had to hire someone from Bernie to learn their trade secretes of how to win basketball games. Lol!!!

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:47 AM
  • This is true best buddies :) lol

-- Posted by mulesfan77 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 7:09 AM
  • Best Buddies, evidently you and mulesfan77 both suffer from short term memory loss. Or maybe you just subconsciously blocked the memory out? Remember that team that beat Bernie on your Homecoming a couple of weeks ago? That was Dexter.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:08 AM

Lol should be another night of good games! Can't wait!

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:23 AM
  • who's playing tonight besides PB and Cape?

-- Posted by NYKTyler7 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:27 AM
  • NYKTyler7, check the list of the games at the top of this thread.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:56 AM

Charleston plays at Kennett

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:06 AM
  • SCAA Tournament Finals Tonight at Bloomfield:

1. JV 3rd Place Game: #3 Bernie vs. #5 Advance, 4 p.m.

2. Varsity 3rd Place Game: #2 Woodland vs. #5 Bloomfield, 5:30 p.m.

3. JV Championship: #1 Bloomfield vs. #2 Dexter, 7 p.m.

4. Varsity Championship: #1 Bernie vs. #3 Dexter, 8:30 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:09 AM
  • FZNT Championship: #1 Fort Zumwalt North vs. #3 Sikeston, 7:30 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:10 AM
  • Notre Dame at Jackson is another huge game tonight.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:13 AM
  • Well the SCAA tournament has lived up to its billing. Every game has been entertaining. Last night I thought all the teams fought hard. Congrats to all the teams on Playing hard, and reminding me why I love High School basketball.

I hate to see it end tonight, theres just something about a packed house at Bloomfield during tournaments. Great atmosphere.

-- Posted by Hightops on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:03 PM
  • It's been a great tournament. I've watched many Bernie/Dexter county tournament championship games in that old gym. Looking forward to another one tonight.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:15 PM
  • Valle Catholic travels to Father Tolten to play the top ranked team in Class 2.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:48 PM
  • South Pemiscot 92, Caruthersville 86 OT

Dexter 71, Woodland 65 OT

Bernie 44, Bloomfield 40

Senath Hornersville 75, Marmaduke, Ar 71

-- Posted by bleachermania on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:51 PM

Hey Preach I believe Tolten is top ranked in Class 3.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:53 PM

I'm interested to see how that Valle game goes.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:54 PM

What is Woodland's record now?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 12:58 PM
  • It's always fun to watch games at Bloomfield. I like watching the SEMO games at Sikeston also. By the way, Tolton Catholic will destroy Valle Catholic. Not in the same league.

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 1:01 PM

Woodland is 14-6

-- Posted by cker23 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 1:04 PM
  • Thanks for the correction Buck. That's what I get for going off my memory! Lol.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 1:18 PM
  • I was at Dexter vs Woodland last nite and have a few observations. Woodland guards have to play better. I counted 9 turnovers in 13 possessions for Woodland during the second quarter. Dexter played a descent trap but not that great! I also believe that Woodland should have pounded the ball down low much much more. Their strengths was not utilized. Really not suckin on sour grapes but hard to win a game when opposing team shoots 32 free throws to your eight. Woodland was also called for 10 more fouls. Good game Dexter but personally thought the better team lost.

-- Posted by woodland alumni 1979 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 2:21 PM
  • That's why Woodland can't match-up with NMCC,and all SEMO teams. Way too much ball pressure.

-- Posted by country-dude on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 3:02 PM
  • Woodland Alumni,

I tend to agree with your assessment. I was also at the game last night, and just knew Nutt would call a time-out with about 14 seconds left to set up a play to get the ball to their big man in close to the goal. Dexter could not have stopped him had they done that. However, that did not happen and Dexter won. On paper, Dexter should have lost the game. As far as the fouls go, Woodland had to foul quite a bit to try and get the ball back. They were trying to lengthen the game in hopes that Dexter would miss freethrows. Dexter didn't miss..... A very entertaining couple of games last night. Hope tonight is as good.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 3:13 PM
  • Woodland 19, Bloomfield 12. End of 1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 5:49 PM
  • In the JV 3rd place game, Bernie defeated advance 68-50.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 5:54 PM
  • Woodland 37, Bloomfield 32 at halftime.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 6:04 PM
  • Bloomfield takes the lead 41-39. 3 minutes to play 3rd qtr.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 6:22 PM
  • Bloomfield over Woodland 58-56.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 6:56 PM
  • A huge call at the end of the game helped decide the game. Beel went up for a three and was fouled. The ref said he was fouled before the shot so instead of 3 FTs, Beel shot one and one. Had it gone the other way Beel would've had the chance to tie the game. Another thriller at the SCAA!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 7:04 PM
  • In the JV championship Bloomfield over Dexter 43-39.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 8:43 PM
  • Kennett trailing Charleston 79 - 76, 27 sec left

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:04 PM
  • Charleston wins 82-76

-- Posted by attitude and effort on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:06 PM
  • Bernie 6, Dexter 2 after 1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:12 PM
  • At halftime Bernie leads Dexter 15-11.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:30 PM
  • 15 to 11??? Question. Great defense or horrible offense?

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:39 PM
  • pitiful offense

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:48 PM
  • Cooter 62 Gideon 68, Got punched in the mouth tonight, Gideon hit big shots and were physical all night.

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 9:50 PM
  • Gideon 68, Cooter 62

Portageville 68, Clarkton 65

Bernie 52, Dexter 45

Charleston 82, Kennett 76

Neelyville 52, South Pemiscot 49

Senath Hornersville 81, Delta C-7 74 OT

-- Posted by bleachermania on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:29 PM
  • Hats off to Bernie tonight. They outplayed Dexter in every phase of the game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:51 PM
  • Jackson - notre dame score

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 10:54 PM
  • Jackson 68. ND 51.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:14 PM
  • Scores From Friday Night:

1. #3 Sikeston 66, #1 Fort Zumwalt North 55 (FZNT Championship).

2. Cape Central 71, Poplar Bluff 66.

3. Park Hills Central 75, North County 56.

4. Jackson 68, Notre Dame 48.

5. Perryville 69, Scott City 61.

6. Portageville 68, Clarkton 65.

7. Senath-Hornersville 81, Delta C-7 74 (OT).

8. Gideon 68, Cooter 62.

9. Charleston 82, Kennett 76.

10. Clearwater 65, Greenville 61.

11. Farmington 62, Potosi 42.

12. Father Tolton 68, Valle Catholic 41.

13. Kelly 65, Oak Ridge 33.

14. Marquand-Zion 69, Zalma 57.

15. Neelyville 54, South Pemiscot 49.

16. Oran 73, Leopold 43.

17. Saxony Lutheran 54, Jefferson (Festus) 41.

18. Scott County Central 92, Chaffee 20.

19. Ste. Genevieve 86, Fredericktown 34.

20. Twin Rivers 75, East Carter County 57.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:19 PM
  • Saturday's Schedule:

1. BSCT 3rd Place Game, #4 Eminence vs. #6 Alton, 4:30 p.m., Couch High School.

2. BSCT Championship: #1 Winona vs. #2 Southern Reynolds (Ellington), 7:30 p.m., Couch High School.

3. Perryville vs. St. Vincent, Perry Park Center, 3:30 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:44 PM

PMF.That BSCT championship game should be a good one you have state ranked Winona at 15-1 vs Southern Reynolds who is 15-3!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:52 PM
  • Just want to say congratulations to the Bernie Mules on a great achievement, they won the Holcomb tournament, the BCT, and the SCAA tournament all in the same season for the first time in school history.

-- Posted by yaeger on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:54 PM
  • I agree Porchswing. Are you going to that game?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 30, 2015, at 11:55 PM
  • Congratulations to all the teams that competed in the SCAA. Absolutely spectacular games this evening.

-- Posted by Mike Cox on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 12:03 AM

Don't know yet i am going to try! Yaeger congradulations as well to Bernie very well done!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 12:03 AM
  • Poplar Bluff 67 St. Charles 59. Huge bounce back win by the Mules. Stocks had 20+ in the game.

-- Posted by Steve Frey on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 7:32 PM
  • Big time win for the Mules. Kind of glad they lost last night lol..Stocks took over in that game 24 pts and passed 1000 pts for his career

-- Posted by mk3 on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 7:57 PM
  • Ellington 61 Winona 59 ot.

-- Posted by WBB on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 10:02 PM

WBB,Tough one tonight good game though i have to say smith was a load tonight i had him for 30!Southern Reynolds is a pretty good team this year.I wish you guys the best of luck the rest of the way!15-2 is still a very good record alot of people would take that!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 11:07 PM
  • Thanks Porchswing ,I Really think this was good 4 us tonite.I am really surprised we kept it that close the way we shot tonite frm the outside. Ellington is a great team tho they had something to do with are poor shooting tonite

-- Posted by WBB on Sat, Jan 31, 2015, at 11:15 PM
  • The shots was not falling for Winona. Some question calls. The refs were tight in the first half and let them play the second half. Charging fouls was blocking fouls and blocking fouls was charges on both teams. Very hard game for players to adopt to. The Ellington player dribbled the ball off his foot in the closing seconds. It was 10 feet in front me. Should've been Winona's ball. 3 -5 seconds and one 13 seconds wasn't called. Would it have changed things? Your guess is as good as mine. It was exciting game and a big win. Congrats to Ellington....

-- Posted by country-dude on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 1:03 AM
  • Also gotta add the fact The ellington bigs could not guard jake smith without a ref bailing him out shot a bunch of free throws and should have fouled out with the block but called a charge on Chilton. Overall a really good game this Ellington team ain't going to be a joke in the next two years.

-- Posted by JustAnotherDay on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 6:08 AM
  • Country dude,

Just out of curiosity, do you know the guarding rules that apply to block/charge plays? I find it hard to believe that the officials missed every single one of those plays as you described, although that could've been the case as well. I ask because the rules supporting those types of plays are some of the most misunderstood in the game of basketball.

-- Posted by Skeet on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 9:13 AM
  • I dnt kno about calls that would hav made the difference, all I kno is we didn't play well enuff to win an they did.When ur best outside shooter goes 2 for 10 frm behind the arc ur not goin to win many games, he jus had a bad nite.We will get to revenge our loss n a couple weeks

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 10:17 AM
  • Anybody know how the young man from Charleston is that hit his head in the JV game? Hope he is doing fine. The jays are always fun to watch but I hope I never see anyone hit the floor that hard again.

-- Posted by Crippled Crossover on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 2:00 PM
  • On Saturday, Perryville defeated St. Vincent 55-35 in a big rivalry game.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 3:08 PM
  • Skeet,

Players had established position for a charge. It was a blocking foul. Players was moving, was called a charge. They got a few right on both teams. Both teams had to deal with it, but might have changed the game around if it was called better. This is the hardest call in B-Ball in my opinion. When Smith was called for a charge (a block, the player was clearly moving) for his 4th foul early in the 4th, it changed the way he had to play from there on. Winona couldn't hit the ocean with a beach ball from 3 point line all night. Now, they don't go inside to Smith as much afraid of picking up his 5th. He wasn't calling for the ball like he had done in the previous 3 Qts. Poor shooting or good defense?? Some people was criticizing refs at SCAA and don't disagree. Thought this was worse and not favoring any team. Inconsistent.. Maybe they had a bad night or hadn't worked together much. Don't have any dogs in the fight. Just a fan. I love watching a game and you don't even notice the refs are out there.

-- Posted by country-dude on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 3:09 PM
  • 6th Annual Coaches vs. Cancer Shootout at Charleston:

1. Carbondale (IL) 53, Poplar Bluff 41.

2. Clearwater 60, Scott City 20.

3. Dexter 88, Charleston 66.

4. Greenville 57, New Madrid County Central 42.

5. Woodland 60, East Prairie 28.

These schools, teams, and girls deserve a special shout-out. All proceeds from the shoot-out went to cancer research.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 3:13 PM
  • country-dude,porchswing.How does winona an ellington compare to the class2 teams they mite run up against if each wins their district tourn?

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 9:48 PM

WBB,IMO Winona would match up very well with everybody except SCC and would be even with Bernie!Although saying that SCC is not so good that on a given night Winona could beat them only because of Smith Daniel for scc canot handle Smith in the paint but Winona has to find a way to score more from the others because SCC has Porter and he would be a match up nightmare for Winona!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 10:45 PM
  • Thanks porchswing,i jus didn't kno if the other teams where a lot better than us or not.Thats by far the worst shooting performance I hav seen out of us all year,hopefully it wont happen again

-- Posted by WBB on Sun, Feb 1, 2015, at 11:17 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: