Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Sikeston Bulldog Sports

Posted by EagleAgent00 on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 9:44 AM:

Everyone knows that sikeston is a little bit cocky but with their football team going 13-1 with a state final four appearance and their basketball team being 10-1 and 2x SEMO Conference Tourney champs, why wouldn't they be??? Any thought???

Replies (23)

• Sikeston fans(a few) may be a little cocky but don't put their coaches and players in that boat. Anyone that knows their programs understands they don't coach or play with a cocky attitude. Confidence is a different matter though, success breeds confidence.

-- Posted by semo ref on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 9:50 AM

Wow, I was thinking the same thing this morning about how great of a year the sports programs (the ones I follow) at Sikeston are having. I don't want to jinx them tho, we still have the rest of the basketball season to play and I really want the track and field team to win another district title and make atleast a top 5 showing this year at state. That will be tough as we don't have the human grasshopper Cal Lane this year.

-- Posted by sbulldog4life on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 10:45 AM
  • Sikeston probably has the best JV team I have seen this season. This could be an indication a dynasty is developing at Sikeston. I wouldn't be surprised if Sikeston wins the SEMO Conference Tournament again next season.

-- Posted by drawmules on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 12:55 PM
  • I have heard that Sikeston has only 1 loss from the 7th grade through the varsity. 10-0 7th,11-0 8th,9-0 9th,10-0 JV, and 10-1 varsity. If this is true then things look very good for Sikeston the next several years. Coaching, hard work, and talent pay off.

-- Posted by semo ref on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 2:48 PM
  • semo ref....the record is absolutely true. Actually, I think we are now 51-1.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 3:31 PM
  • Rocket....

We are now 52-1 after the 9th grade won last night.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 4:25 PM
  • Sikeston basketball will be scary in the next 3 years. I think the boys will finish strong. Look out for the Track team to repeat, and the baseball team is looking tough as well this year.

However, there are a few fans that think Sikeston sports is at the top of the world. Ignore those fans.

-- Posted by kingjames on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 5:35 PM
  • Just don't lump all Sikeston fans into a big pile of stupid. Some of us laugh and roll our eyes at those fans at games, too.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 5:48 PM
  • For anyone who is interested, I can fill you in on Sikeston track and field for this upcoming season: It is true that Sikeston will definitely miss Cal Lane. You can't just snap your finger and replace the 26 points he scored at the state meet last year. However, a top five finish is definitely possible, and, if some things work out, it wouldn't be completely out of the question for Sikeston to repeat. Sikeston returns the bulk of their 4x100 and 4x200 teams from last season that placed 6th and 3rd respectively. In fact, the graduating seniors will likely be replaced with even faster athletes, so look for these 2 relays to perform even better next year. Ishmael Johnson returns. Ishmael placed in the open 400 last year, and should move up a few spots this year, garnering a few more points. With Cal Lane gone, look for Tre Lewis and Daryl Howard to step up in the long and triple jump and perhaps score. Tanner Bryant returns and should be a factor in both the 110 and 300 meter hurdles. He is also a good pole vaulter, but inconsistent. If he can vault up to his ability in the key meets, he could very well place in that event as well. Tyler Combs, who missed qualifying for state by 6 inches in the discus last year, should improve and be a potential point scorer at the state meet this season. To me, the biggest wild card is Eli Jackson. Eli did not run track last year. If he decides to run this year - and rumor has it that he will - look for him to score in the long jump and add even more speed to the sprint relays. Another name worth mentioning is James Watson. James is a sophomore, but he is lightning fast. It will be ineresting to see what he can do at the varsity level. In summary, we should do very well in the sprint relays, long jump, triple jump and the open 400; we should look for improvement and more scoring in the hurdle events and the discus, and if things work out right, we may be able to field an impressive 4x400 team as well.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Fri, Jan 15, 2010, at 8:55 PM
  • Pretty sure Eli isn't doing track.

-- Posted by kingjames on Sat, Jan 16, 2010, at 5:07 PM
  • That's too bad. Eli scored in the long jump at state each year he ran. His points will be missed.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sat, Jan 16, 2010, at 5:34 PM
  • Pretty sure Eli is doing track and the word is Wiggins is as well. Info from one of the track coaches.

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Sat, Jan 16, 2010, at 8:08 PM
  • It would be interesting to see Wiggins run track. As far as I know, he never has before. It's hard for me to project an event for him. Having never run track, it would be very difficult for him to perfect the technique required for most of the field events, and I know he doesn't have tremendous sprinting speed - at least the track team already possesses several athletes who are faster. I could see him as yet another in Sikeston's vast stable of jumpers. Sikeston won the state title last year largely thanks to tremendous success in the triple jump and long jump. Perhaps the quartet of Tre Lewis, Daryl Howard, Eli Jackson and Wiggins could keep it going in the jumping events.

-- Posted by Cully Bryant on Sat, Jan 16, 2010, at 8:25 PM
  • Well Eli has told me that he probably isn't doing track. You may be surprised to see what he does instead. However, they will be fine.

-- Posted by kingjames on Sat, Jan 16, 2010, at 9:32 PM
  • Does anyone have any thoughts about sikestons game this past Friday against Scott city? Was that score really necessary!?!? I personally believe that that is poor immature coaching skills. Any opinions?

-- Posted by Greeneagles on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 12:39 PM
  • Well, I guess Coach Holifield could've made you happy if he had only played his starters one quarter. My opinion is you need to get over it. When a good team plays a bad team, you're going to have some lopsided scores. Sikeston is one of the top teams in the area, and Scott City is at or near the bottom.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 1:52 PM
  • What would you want him to do? He pressed the 1st quarter and that was it. The rest of the game they were in a 2-3. He rotated the starters in and out frequently and the JV played the entire 4th.

-- Posted by sportsfanatic on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 2:01 PM
  • I believe Coach Holifield did all he could do to try and NOT make the score even worse. 13 kids for Sikeston in the scoring column in that game. I think that should show you that he didn't purposely pour it on.

-- Posted by mandm96 on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 2:19 PM
  • That game could have been alot worse. FarmBoy06 said it best with maybe only Kelly being worse. It's a shame Scott City has fallen so far, they had some really good teams a few years ago. I know Sikeston plays Kelly in a week or two and I was wondering how do you coach your team when one is really good and the other is not so that score does'nt get out of hand.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • That game could have been alot worse. FarmBoy06 said it best with maybe only Kelly being worse. It's a shame Scott City has fallen so far, they had some really good teams a few years ago. I know Sikeston plays Kelly in a week or two and I was wondering how do you coach your team when one is really good and the other is not so that score does'nt get out of hand.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 3:39 PM
  • The problem is Sikeston's JV is better than a lot of the starting lineups in the area. When you go to their bench players for a 4th quarter slow down, they are really good players. Sikeston's JV would have easily beaten Scott City's starting line up. We all know that sometimes bringing the bench players into a game, when they are hungry to play, can lead to more scoring than if you leave the starters in with the orders to stall. I can't blame Sikeston's staff or kids one bit. They want to play and when they get to, it's like feeding time for hungry animals. Most people and other coaches know that Sikeston always tries to maintain a high standard of sportsmanship.

-- Posted by JuniorBulldog on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 3:58 PM
  • SIkeston's JV is SICK. Wait till next year or in 2 years. That team will be tough.

-- Posted by kingjames on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 4:23 PM
  • I agree with Junior Bulldg. Sikeston has really good bench players and they should continue to play hard during the fourth quarter.

LOL I love the descriptive words you used to describe Sikeston. "They want to play and when they get to, it's like feeding time for hungry animals."

Hey Crader I think you might want to sign Junior Bulldog up to write articles.

-- Posted by drawmules on Sun, Jan 17, 2010, at 4:28 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: