Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: girls highschool basketball 2014-2015

Posted by courtobserver on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 9:29 PM:

tomorrow, nov. 3 starts girls high school basketball practice. any thoughts as to who might be a contender. a lot of teams lost a lot of talent, but some were much improved at the rib city games this summer. I know the bearcats will be very young and short handed. this will definitely be a rebuilding year for them. notre dame, and Saxony will be their usual, but Sikeston will be much improved.

Replies (65)

• Saxony Lutheran will be the best girls team in Semo this year. Dexter will be good, just very young.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Nov 2, 2014, at 9:49 PM
  • Park Hills Central will win the Class 3 state title this year.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Mon, Nov 3, 2014, at 1:16 AM

Boy thats bold dustin win it all they are good i agree with you on that but that's alot of faith to say they will win it all!PMF i think you have nailed it with saxony after thier trip to the final four last year they should be hungry to get a better result up there this year!

-- Posted by porchswing on Mon, Nov 3, 2014, at 9:55 AM
  • Dexter will be young but pretty good by year end. Notre Dame lost 8 seniors so they will be young as well. Jackson could be pretty good. Small schools look out for Neelyville and Naylor. Game of the year will be Park Hills vs Saxony in state sectional game in March.

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Mon, Nov 3, 2014, at 1:22 PM
  • Agreed, with the group of Juniors that saxony has they will be tough to beat. And yes, while Dexter lost a lot of talent in the last two years, they have a group of freshmen coming in that will develop well. Actually a few different schools have quality freshmen coming in this year so it will be a fun season to watch. Especially when the surprise teams start coming out of the woodwork.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Nov 4, 2014, at 2:37 AM
  • Actually, I think Park Hills and Saxony will be quarterfinals if I am not mistaken.

-- Posted by Only facts on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 1:29 PM
  • I see we have a new entry to the girls Farmington tournament. Saxony will be there this year. They should be the overwhelming favorite.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:24 PM
  • Who else is in the Farmington tournament, court observer?

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 9:28 PM
  • Farmington, Dexter, Jackson, Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau), Saxony Lutheran, Notre Dame (St. Louis) are for sure in the 50th Annual Farmington Invitational Tournament. DeSoto dropped out and is hosting its own tournament the same week. The other two teams that were in the tournament last year were Miller Career Academy and Roosevelt, but can't find any of their schedules posted anywhere. Saxony may have taken DeSoto's spot.

-- Posted by The Legend on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 10:12 PM
  • Let's just hope they get to play the tournament this year. Last year it was snowed out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Nov 11, 2014, at 10:29 PM
  • That's a pretty impressive line up for girls hoops in this area, gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. Sure Saxony is the favorite, but we all know how that goes.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 2:33 AM
  • MSHSAA schedule for miller career does not show their regular home and away games, but does have them listed as being in the Farmington tournament for 12-1-14. So that only leaves one more team.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Wed, Nov 12, 2014, at 9:17 AM
  • Saxony will be good. Watch out for Jackson also! Seeding's for Farmington tournament had them tied for first place seed. Saxony ends up with the number one seed on a coin flip. Both teams have a strong Junior class, returning with lots of experience...several girls from both are playing varsity ball since their Freshman year. In addition, Jackson has added a strong Sophomore class to the mix with many coming off a undefeated JV season from last year.

-- Posted by pappy1281 on Fri, Nov 14, 2014, at 1:01 PM
  • Hard to argue with a team that plays strong against a high level schedule like Jackson. Again, gonna be a good year for girls BBall, and that tournament lineup is an unbelievable way to get it started.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Sat, Nov 15, 2014, at 3:02 PM
  • I think the lady bearcats have one junior that will not return to the squad this year due to interest in other sports. she was probably one of the most athletic and one of the best defenders in the semo area. this is going to hurt, will have to be replaced by underclassmen.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 12:25 AM

courtobserver,I hate to hear that hope it wasn't one of the big three but sounds like it is that will hurt!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 1:09 PM
  • porchswing, you're right. they have another junior coming back that didn't play last year, and some quality freshmen. they should be clicking by mid-season. it's really going to be a rebuilding year I think.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Sun, Nov 16, 2014, at 5:57 PM
  • PHC better win the state. They pulled a lot of strings to get into the smaller classification and their meddlesome parents are certainly expecting a state championship. It will be the coach's fault if they don't.

-- Posted by rediar on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:30 PM
  • Courtobserver, just wondering what neck of the woods you are from. You seem to have a pretty good grasp of girls basketball in the semo area. Do you have any idea who plays in the Christmas tournament at the Show Me Center this year? Wonder what teams are there?

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 1:53 PM
  • Dexter Native, my stomping ground is a little south of the cape area. However, I can give you last years line up: Notre Dame Cape, Saxony, Jackson, Sikeston, Perryville, Meadow Hts., Scott City, and Cape Central. Notre Dame sneaked by Saxony with a 5 point victory I believe. Haven't seen anything yet to confirm this years entries.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 2:40 PM
  • Thanks for the info. Should be a pretty good tournament at Farmington this time. I don't see too many lop sided scores, should be pretty competitive.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 4:17 PM
  • I have heard that the Cape Central girls have a lot of potential on this years team. they are pretty young however, along with dexter and jackson

-- Posted by semoball00 on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 7:38 PM
  • So who do you all have coming out of the area districts this year?

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Mon, Nov 17, 2014, at 11:29 PM
  • Jamboree Thursday at Jackson event center...should be good to see. Jackson, N.D. (Cape), and North County on display. Jackson should have a good showing. N.D. is not "supposed" to be that strong, but......???, and North County has a really good player back from last year. Jackson "should" be the team to beat...lot's of experience...3 seniors, 4 juniors (all jrs. with 2 years of varsity under their belts), and good sophomores added to the mix.

-- Posted by pappy1281 on Wed, Nov 19, 2014, at 1:44 PM
  • Silly rediar. yes PHC pulled a lot of strings to drop down a class. LOL. They submitted their numbers to MSHSAA and dropped to class 3. They went from one of the smallest class 4 schools to one of the largest class 3. It also happened around 6 years ago. You must really be clueless as to how that process works. Now PHC won't get to beat schools that are twice their size, they will get to beat people that are their size. It really kills North County people to get beat by PHC in most sports, I guess.

-- Posted by Only facts on Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 11:39 AM
  • You mean PHC will get to beat schools smaller than them, since they are now one of the largest Class 3 teams.

-- Posted by Bogey Man on Mon, Nov 24, 2014, at 9:53 AM
  • Anyone catch the Jamboree in Jackson? How did the Jackson team look up against Notre Dame? Can either of these teams beat Saxony?

-- Posted by Basketball Follower on Mon, Nov 24, 2014, at 10:45 AM
  • I see where Saxony got a 20 point win to start the season. I would say Sikeston didn't do to bad for a first game AT Saxony. Did Notre Dame beat Jackson in the jamboree and if so what happened there? How did they both fare against North County?

-- Posted by courtobserver on Thu, Nov 27, 2014, at 6:24 PM
  • Jackson handled ND and North County fairly easy at Jamboree. Havent seen Saxony so don't know about those matchups.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Nov 27, 2014, at 9:19 PM
  • Did Dexter lose their opening game in the Farmington tournament? Who did they play?

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 1:07 AM
  • Dexter has not played their opening game yet. Their first game will be Wednesday night at 7:30. Why did you assume Dexter lost their first game, clever user?

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 1:24 AM
  • I saw the upcoming games for that tournament in the Poplar Bluff paper and it had their game listed under a "Fifth Place Bracket" so I didn't know what to think. Must be a typo. Thanks for the info and good luck up there Wednesday!!

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 4:23 AM
  • the Farmington tournament is a round robin because of only 7 teams. dexter is a number 3 scheduled to play number 6 notre dame cape. Wednesday night 7:30 is correct, then thur. night 7:30 against number 2 Jackson. the winner of that round robin between Jackson, N.D. and dexter will probably get to face Saxony.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 8:36 AM
  • I gotcha! Thank you very much

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 6:42 PM
  • anyone know what happened at Farmington tournament tonight---Tuesday.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 9:06 PM
  • Jackson over ND 63-22!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 9:15 PM
  • How about the lady dawg classic in Van Buren?

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 9:20 PM
  • Neelyville over Ellington

Twin Rivers over Alton

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Tue, Dec 2, 2014, at 9:33 PM
  • Farmington Tournament: Dexter-82 Cape ND-51

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Wed, Dec 3, 2014, at 9:28 PM
  • Prediction time???....Jackson vs. Dexter and Saxony vs. Miller Academy (at Farmington Tournament)

I'm taking Jackson and Miller Academy

-- Posted by pappy1281 on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 1:34 PM
  • I'm giving Jackson the edge for experience, and I'm predicting Saxony.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 2:35 PM
  • Wow before these past two games i wonder whens the last time, if ever, ND dawgettes got turboed two games in a row.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 3:00 PM
  • Yeah, graduation decimated them from last year's standards. 8 seniors gone?

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 3:04 PM
  • Dexter Lady Bearcats were down 11 in the 4th quarter and ended the game on a huge run to comeback and beat Jackson by 9.

-- Posted by impax21 on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 8:30 PM
  • Dexter will take on Saxony in the championship tomorrow night.

-- Posted by impax21 on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 8:31 PM
  • Jackson is a good experienced team with speed and quickness and excellent shooters from all over the court, but they couldn't slow down Mckuin, then Reynolds iced it in 4th with free throw.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Thu, Dec 4, 2014, at 11:10 PM
  • did anyone think the 90.3 lady bearcat announcers did a little to much belittling of players and coaches last night, or did I take it wrong. the lady bearcats are young and still searching for a team identity and what individual roles are. they just need playing time. I know many mistakes were made by all, and this game could have been won easily, but things happen. just asking.

-- Posted by lbearcatfan on Sat, Dec 13, 2014, at 9:53 AM
  • Anyone know the score of the Greenville Chaffee game last night?

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Tue, Dec 16, 2014, at 7:28 AM
  • No game last night between Chaffee and Greenville girls. They don't play this year.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Tue, Dec 16, 2014, at 8:34 AM
  • lbearcatfan, I am one of those announcers on 90.3 FM and if we came off as being too negative it was certainly not meant to be that way. Two of the three of us have girls playing so we want it to go well! I appreciate the input and we will try to improve.

-- Posted by bearcatsports on Tue, Dec 16, 2014, at 9:32 AM
  • any thoughts on the Saxony-lady bearcats rematch tomorrow night at Saxony.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 10:48 AM
  • Be hard to beat Saxony on their home floor. They are tough anyway, but are really tough up there.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 3:21 PM
  • So who are the Top 5 girls teams in SEMO? Here is how would rank them: 1. Saxony Lutheran 2. Park Hills Central 3. Neelyville 4. Dexter 5. Naylor.

Who else should be considered for spots 6-10?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 6:50 PM

Sikeston

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 7:20 PM
  • I'd probably put Sikeston in the top 5 somewhere. I'd bet on them winning their district and maybe even a game after that.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 7:31 PM
  • Do you think Sikeston can beat Dexter to win districts? I agree the Lady Bulldogs are much improved but I'm not sure they can beat Dexter.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 7:41 PM

They play the last game of the regular season so we won't know how they match up until then. But, Sikeston will be 2 seed at worst and I would imagine they'll face off for the DC. One think in the Bulldogs favor is that districts are in Sikeston.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 7:50 PM
  • 1. Saxony

2. Neelyville

3. Dexter

4. PHC

5. Naylor

Lexi Morris of Clearwater is avg. 30.4, state's best,has 2833 career points. With OFC next week, Van Buren, Naylor, and districts left. Hope she busts 3,000.

-- Posted by country-dude on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 8:04 PM
  • PHC has already beaten Neelyville and Dexter.

-- Posted by hardwork on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 8:44 PM

Neelyville lost to PB tonight.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 8:44 PM
  • Dexter beat St. James who beat Park Hills who beat Neelyville and so on and so on. Depends on how you are playing at the end of the year.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 8:51 PM
  • Ok so we'll rank Sikeston #6. Then who? Clearwater? Greenville? Twin Rivers? Kelly? Charleston? Doniphan? Or some other team? Jackson maybe?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 8:54 PM
  • Jackson has already beaten Sikeston once I believe by double digits. They would be ranked up there too.

-- Posted by Dexter Native on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 9:13 PM
  • That whole OFC conference has been beating each other up all year. Charleston has a great record but hasn't played more than a handful of good teams. Morris is practically a one man team so if you hold her to around 20 they are very beatable. Greenville is having a pretty good year with the guard play they have been getting and Twin Rivers is either really good, or shoot themselves in the foot. I haven't seen Jackson play but they seem to be a pretty decent team year in and out.

-- Posted by Clever User Name on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 9:17 PM
  • the 2nd time the bearcats and neelyville played they were beaten by a 3 point buzzer beater from half court at end of first half. they lost that game by 2 pts. I truly thought the lady bearcats were a 15 point better team that night because of point blank shot opportunities that were missed. they had park hills down by 3 at half at park hills, but height and experience took over in 2nd half and dexter was down by 7 to 9 before having to start fouling. they still have to get much better defensively.

-- Posted by courtobserver on Mon, Feb 2, 2015, at 9:58 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: