Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Coach Scott

Posted by Radar99 on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 9:57 AM:

Why would Coach Scott from Jackson post a score for another team? He posted on Twitter that Carbondale beat Charleston in the Superman. How self conscience about your team are you that you have to show another area team lost to the same team worse than you did? Just coach your team and quit worrying about other people's opinions.

Replies (88)

• I sense some jealousy there Walt. Maybe he was just trying to please the curiosity of his followers? Not so sure this was deserving of its own forum but hey, do what ya gotta do.

-- Posted by youarebad on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:23 AM
  • I sense some jealousy there Walt. Maybe he was just trying to please the curiosity of his followers? Not so sure this was deserving of its own forum but hey, do what ya gotta do.

-- Posted by youarebad on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:23 AM

The two silliest forum topics I've seen in a while have been posted today: this one and the forum about girls basketball.

I would imagine many of Coach Scott's followers are his players and he may have posted that to ease the sting of the loss to Carbondale and let his players know they lost to a great team in Carbondale who beat another solid team in Charleston. It's not really a big deal.

Also, what is self concience?

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:24 AM
  • Oops sorry yah-yah. Meant to put self-conscious. Auto correct strikes again. Sorry about that.

-- Posted by Radar99 on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:44 AM
  • Carbondale record is 14-2. I read where media said Carbondale has great coaching and a solid team.

-- Posted by deal on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:53 AM
  • Not sure how I'm jealous since I am not a fan of either side. What I intended to make a point of is you don't see pro/college/or other high school coaches doing that. I dunno I just thought it was odd. Would rather my coach worrying about my team... Not other teams' wins and losses. Sorry if I offended you

-- Posted by Radar99 on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:56 AM

You didn't offend me, personally. I just thought it was an odd topic for a forum.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 11:06 AM
  • Yah i agree that he was just posting it for informational purposes, i dont think he meant to disrespect anyone. Coaches are competitive by nature and are always interested in how other opponents are doing. Now if made some other comments following the report then its another issue but u didnt say if he did or not. He's always seemed to carry himself respectfully at games and i am always impressed with his teams hustle and teamwork, but again i only see him when my dawgz play jax.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 11:13 AM
  • I agree ciri always thought Coach Scott as of having class which is why I was surprised. But I guess this is an example of why social media can be a bad thing...

I took it one way, and he probably meant it another way. I just found it odd to put it on twitter so everyone could see it, instead of just telling his team at practice. Thought it should be an in house matter.

Not sure why yah yah that is so bad to discuss... Guess if I played more soccer I would understand.... Hope you catch the sarcasm! Haha

-- Posted by Radar99 on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 11:50 AM
  • Coach Scott is a class act that doesn't get the respect he deserves. You would never see a post like this about Coach Day at New Madrid

-- Posted by GermX on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 1:07 PM
  • Coach Scott is a class act.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 5:04 PM

Jackson & Carbondale high schools are, at least, 3-4 times the size of Charleston High-was this mentioned? Which is to say they are in larger classifications which are used for competitive reasons...It is nice that bigger schools use CHS as a unit of measurement...flattering...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 5:20 PM
  • Charleston is definitely a measuring stick when it comes to basketball. When someone thinks of basketball and Southeast Missouri the first name that comes to mind is Charleston. No matter how many the students the school has for enrollment Charleaton is still the elite program when it comes to basketball.

-- Posted by Perspective on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 10:01 PM
  • Anyone who questions Coach Scott's commitment to his team and more importantly his school and community simply doesnt know the man. All you need to know is that his efforts during the We Believe you can BstronG week to raise funds for the fight against cancer raised more than $12,000.

Say what you want but that's the kind of person I want coaching my son when the time comes.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 11:33 PM
  • I've always thought he was one of the nicest coaches I've ever interviewed.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 24, 2014, at 11:34 PM
  • Actually, I think that SCC is the measuring stick for SEMO basketball. They have more championships.

-- Posted by T-Roll on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 9:30 AM
  • I wonder if many of the citizens of Jackson and Dexter are related?

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 10:51 AM
  • Just FYI.. Carbondale is ranked #12 in the whole state of Illinois per Maxpreps.com

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 5:36 PM
  • Jackson is 14-2 so far. This week will be a big test for them. Sikeston on Tuesday, notre dame on friday and at Webster groves on Saturday. Good luck Indians!!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Jan 25, 2014, at 11:53 PM
  • Charleston and SCC work real hard to win the last game of the season.

-- Posted by jayrod on Sun, Jan 26, 2014, at 1:53 PM
  • Coach Scott is a good man. Coach Scott is not a great basketball mind. Yes, the Indians are doing well this season , but Coach Scott is not the reason. The Indians are the largest school in the area. They have the tallest team in the history of the school. They have a senior class that has been together for a lot of years and some individuals with good skills. The two teams they have lost to are schools similar in size to the Indians. I believe if the Indians were playing schools their size every game, they would have lost several games by now. Once again, Coach Scott is probably a good man that sets a good example for his boys, but as far as being the kind of coach that can win a game with his coaching prowess, I don't think so.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 9:27 AM
  • Wolfwoman, list your basketball pedigree (high school, college, WNBA? (Haha)), coaching experience, including head coaching experience.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:27 AM
  • I respectfully disagree mrs wolf. Last years team overachieved by going on the road to st loo and beating chaminade. Usually a team overachieves because it is well-coached and cohesive. Just an observation.....

Dont be surprised if ya make final four this year, it could happen.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jan 27, 2014, at 10:35 AM
  • Don't get your panties in a wad Pete. Just my opinion. You can have yours too.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:05 AM
  • There size has nothing to do with it, they've always had size but this year they have a pretty good guard and that's the main reason for their success.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 6:59 AM
  • The size has a lot to do with it. Take away the size and leave them with a pretty good guard, then they aren't nearly as good. I agree the guard makes them better, but the size is certainly a large part of there success. This is the tallest team Jackson has ever had, and their post players have more skills than in previous years. To say size has nothing to do with it is just plain silly.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:09 AM
  • I agree with Bigelw. Jackson always seems to have size but it's their point guard that takes them to the next level this season. They are the best team in the area because of the combination of size and guard play.

-- Posted by Steve Frey on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:15 AM
  • Yes it does have someting to do with it but year in and year out they have size and haven't had a decent guard since Leet was there. You can have all the size in the world but without good guard play size doesn't matter. My son plays at Mac and Jackson has more size than they do but size doesn't matter as much as good guards at any level.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:19 AM
  • Rocketsbro, this is ONE of the biggest teams Jackson has had but don't forget their 2008 team with the 6'11" Aaron Redecker and a 6'8" guy (Mirly) and a 6'6" guy (Goodman) and another 6'6" guy (Grantham) and 6'4" guard in Leet (stud).....well, you get the point lol.

However, the big men on this Jackson team may be the most skilled they've had. And then, of course, the very quick and good guard to go with them.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:54 AM
  • You can never please everybody. If he wins state this year, will it be because his team has size only? I guess Coach Scott doesn't practice, drill, scout, and prepare efficiently to win games, he only relies on the size of starters!

Who would have thought coaching could be so easy!

-- Posted by GermX on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 7:59 AM
  • At least for last night the size vs. speed debate was answered. Sikeston's press had very little effect on Jackson. Our guards did a great job of taking care of the ball and getting good looks for the bigs.

We get another look at a similar situation next Tuesday when Jackson travels to Charleston.

Still a tough stretch for them before that however with a game at ND Friday night and at Webster Groves on Saturday.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 8:31 AM
  • I'm not sure it was answered. One 3 point overtime home win does not put any issues to rest. Jackson has a great team this year, but let's not forget the losses speed has put on size prior to this game (not just Jackson and Sikeston). Also, those factors can never be truly isolated. You can't forget about shooting, ball handling, composure, etc. Jackson is very good, but it's not just their size that trumped speed that led to the victory. I'm sure the debate will continue with both sides being wrong.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 8:48 AM
  • Rocketsbro. I agree with all you said. Some have tried to simplify it to size vs. speed. And that's all I was replying to. It takes all the things you mentioned to be a truly good team and both teams have them. Great game to see last night. Im glad I was there!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 9:04 AM
  • Here's the thing though, Jackson is probably just as fast as Sikeston. There is not a player on Sikeston's team faster than Daume or more athletic than Wendel. People underestimate how athletic Jackson is and perhaps overestimate the speed and quickness of Sikeston.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 9:37 AM
  • The press was a nonfactor last nite other than maybe making jax a little more tired than usual. Jax skilled biggies killed us underneath but how do u defend three guys all five inches taller? Lotsa rebounds were plucked over our heads without being over the back fouls. Even with all that we hung in there and coulda won. Jax is very well coached, the ball rarely hits the ground, great passing and movement on offense.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • Not counting state champion trackster Steven Baker of course, lol.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 9:43 AM
  • Not much was settled last night both teams had 23 FG, SHS had 17 F JHS 15 F. Where size does not matter SHS 11-16 FT JHS 8-19. Where size matters SHS 37 REB JHS 41 REB. Where guards matter SHS 5 TO JHS 13 TO.

-- Posted by SHS59 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:06 AM
  • Wow very surprising rebound numbers, i am mistaken. Seemed like jax was killing us on offensive boards but the numbers say otherwise. Great, great game lasnite.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:10 AM
  • Sikeston only had 5 turnovers, that's impressive. Sikeston is also very well coached. Holified's teams play so hard. That is way they are never out of a game. Sikeston has a good team.

-- Posted by Winner11 on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 10:47 AM
  • Jackson did hurt them on the offensive boards, but Sikeston grabbed a lot of offensive boards themselves.

-- Posted by semohoops on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 11:41 AM
  • Great game and atmosphere. Both teams lived up to their billiing.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Wed, Jan 29, 2014, at 12:02 PM
  • Like I said, if Jackson was playing class 5 schools night after night they would be barely over .500. Webster handled them Sat. and they are the kind of team the Indians need to beat to get to the final 4. Sorry, it'll never happen.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 6:55 AM
  • You can talk about how tall and how fast Jackson's guards are all you want, but you could tell they were wearing out in the last half of the Sikeston game. If your not in shape, your going to be in trouble. If they hadn't been shooting lights out in the first half, they would have lost that game. They had better be shooting the same against Charleston, or hey will lose. Don't know how Websters height was, but sure when they run up against teams with height also, they will be in trouble. There not in shape for a run and gun game.

-- Posted by lastride67 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 9:26 AM
  • Lets be a little mindful that this week they played a high energy game Tuesday. Then played one of their big rivals in another up and down game. Then have to drive to St. Louis and play a good team. Not making excuses but that's a tough week

-- Posted by Radar99 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 3:19 PM
  • To go 2-1 this week is an accomplishment

-- Posted by Radar99 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 3:20 PM
  • Or if they had shot free throws like usual, they'd have beat Sikeston by double digits, right lastride?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 4:14 PM
  • Webster is tough, period. The Floresca kid is easily the best big kid we have seen....one of the best in MO......I think he had 26 points and 12 boards. Not taking anything away from him but both our big kids were in foul trouble early and he picked up his second foul with a couple minutes to go in the fourth quarter. Yes, I'm saying the officials affected our guy's ability to guard him. Same thing happened to us at Carbondale.

Webster also played Rockwood Summit Friday night which should have been a powder puff game and we were in a fist fight with Notre Dame. Reynolds and Daume had the crap beat out of them in the ND game. So much for officials calling hand checks, arm bars and two handed shoves in the back. Daume even got tackled......with no call....I guess because he maintained possession they figured why call a foul. Then we had a two hour bus ride to St. Louis to play a top 10 caliber team.

Yeah we were a bit flat in the Webster game and many mid range jumpers and threes were just short. Reality is if a couple of those shots go in or the officials allow our bigs to compete there is a pretty good chance we win. They didn't and we lost to a darn good team!

We just got to keep working, getting better and hope everyone stays healthy going down the stretch.

-- Posted by runlikeadeere on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 4:20 PM
  • So if the refs would have let us play the way ND played against us, which was awful, we would have won. Makes sense to me. There isn't a single kid on NDs team as tough as Daume and Reynolds. Refs outside of semo are not going to let a football game take place on the basketball court.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 4:56 PM
  • Jackson didnt make the ND game rough. ND had to up their aggressiveness to try to get back in the game. They got very physical, the refs let them and it changed the way the game was played. Proud that Jackson was able to respond and get the win.

It was good to see them able to adjust, but their success isn't based on simply beating people up. It's based on skilled players with good ball and player movement.

That's why it was good to see them able to win a game like that but it did take it's toll on them for Saturday afternoon.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 5:10 PM
  • No...I'm saying our bigs picked up some cheap fouls in both contests (Webster and Carbondale). Their bigs didn't.......As a result, it affected our ability to defend the basket and certainly impacted the game. However, we have to be able to overcome it. Sometimes life's not fair.

I'm all for the officials cleaning up the arms extended stuff. Hand checking, arm barring and holding. Players spend years honing their offensive skills. When the officials allow illegal use of the hands it negates the skill the offensive player has taken the time to acquire. If a player is fouled, put em on the line and reward them for their efforts. They earned the right to go to the charity stripe.

IPs correct. I just meant the physicality of Friday nights game with ND took its toll on Saturday's performance and our ability to overcome adversity. Tuesday nights game with Sikeston was quite physical also. I thought we battled pretty well this week all things considered.

-- Posted by runlikeadeere on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 7:26 PM
  • Well said deere. All in all it was a good week for the Indians.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 7:29 PM
  • I can agree that sikeston can be physical. I know the ND guys and none of them can compete with Jackson's physicality unless your saying they were cheap shots

-- Posted by crackerjack on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 7:37 PM
  • Sikeston physical?? Never! You should of seen the game with Soldan now that was a physical game.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 8:17 PM
  • I dislike cheap fouls called on either team. I want to beat the best players on the team.

-- Posted by deal on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 9:42 PM
  • No cheap shots. Just very physical play on and off the ball. They were doing whatever they could to get back in the game. Good coaching on their part actually. It was a risk they had to take.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 2, 2014, at 9:49 PM
  • Lol @wolfwoman.

Everyone last year said the same thing about beating Chaminade... and well.. the rest is history.

Don't be so sure when in reality we all know you're not.

-- Posted by youarebad on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 12:22 AM
  • Beware of the wolfwoman. She often posts as a supporter of Jackson but is quick to be negative against her so called team. Fair weather fan at best. Bad troll at the worst.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Feb 3, 2014, at 12:58 AM
  • Just my opinion Pride. We'll see who is more accurate at the end of the season. Hoping for the best, but trying to stay grounded.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 8:37 PM
  • Nice try Wolfinsheepsclothing. I never predicted a state championship. I just root for the Indians.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Tue, Feb 4, 2014, at 9:31 PM
  • @wolfwoman.. you have no idea of what your talking about..

-- Posted by footballfan29 on Wed, Feb 5, 2014, at 7:33 AM
  • My guess is that wolf has a dog in this hunt and I agree with some of her comments. We need to play better ball if we want to go anywhere this year.

-- Posted by Native Father on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 1:23 PM
  • Think I'm going to agree with wolf woman just for the heck of it. : )

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 2:09 PM
  • Just because someone critisizes a team that does not mean that they are against that team. When you have talent like Jackson has this year, you just expect more than what they are giving. Somtime it seems they are only playing at the same level with who they are matched up with at the time.

-- Posted by Native Father on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 2:19 PM
  • Jackson is 16-3.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 2:45 PM
  • What? They've lost 3 games? That's just horrible. They should just give up now they will never make it to state.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 3:00 PM
  • Exactly TFA. Im quite sure you Sikeston folks haven't given up on the season because of a couple losses. Could Jackson play better at times? Sure, but I imagine most HS teams could say the same. Go Indians!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 6:12 PM
  • We never give up just like ya shouldn't.

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 7:54 PM
  • Indianpride:

Really!! Really!!!

Your Jackson feathers are getting ruffled.

-- Posted by Ice princess on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 8:12 PM
  • Cool. We have someone new. Welcome Ice princess!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 8:18 PM
  • Oh wait I forgot I don't like Jackson. Give up! Give up! Lol!

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 8:48 PM
  • TFA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Thu, Feb 6, 2014, at 10:08 PM
  • They have a tendency to pass to the same man. They do well against teams of equal or less talent. Highly ranked teams with great coaches will notice this tendency. If they pass to the open man they will be hard to defend. That is trusting your teammates and what real teamwork is all about. I think that is what wolfwoman is trying to say.

-- Posted by deal on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 8:17 AM
  • I think if the Indians can hit the 3 at a high percentage they have a chance to do some damage in the playoffs. If they don't the other bigs will pack it in and we saw what happened at Webster. Wendel and Daume will have to shoot the lights out. Carson King is legit, and plays a good game but doesn't have a high shooting 3pt % either. I think they may go a long way this year, probably as far as last year. Hope this doesn't offend you Pride.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 9:25 AM
  • Well said wolf. Good analysis. Agree with all you said.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 9:39 AM
  • What would a high 3pt % be for high school basketball?

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 9:49 AM
  • 3 pt game would not be using the height advantage. However, if the inside game doesnt work then go for it.

-- Posted by deal on Fri, Feb 7, 2014, at 10:45 AM
  • It's debatable BB but I would say 40% would be great.

-- Posted by wolfwoman on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 12:21 AM
  • Here's comparison: hit "12" shots (2-pointers) out of 20 for 60% = 24 points. hit "8" shots (3-pointers) out of 20 for 40% = 24 points.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 5:25 PM
  • Cool just wandering to see how Bernie shots the 3 as a whole.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 5:31 PM
  • In high school, anything over 30% is pretty good, over 40% from 3 is outstanding. IMO

Jackson is probably shooting in the low to mid 30s as a team. In the games we struggled from the perimeter we didn't get many kick out 3s off dribble penetration or from the posts. We probably shoot 40% when we take good 3s.

In order for Jackson to get very far they are going to need good spacing and to attack the basket hard. We have 2-3 kids that can get to the rim off the dribble and finish or dump it to the post for an easy bucket. We need them attacking. If we settle for 3s, we will get beat.

-- Posted by runlikeadeere on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 9:24 PM
  • From maxpreps Jackson's team shooting percentages.

3 pt. 31%

2 pt. 54%

FT. 73%

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sat, Feb 8, 2014, at 9:33 PM
  • They also average 20.8 assists per game on their 65 points per game. That's a pretty nice number of assists.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 6:37 PM
  • What time is the game Saturday IP? If my son wants to go we will go.

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 8:39 PM
  • TFA. JV starts at 2. The weather finally looks decent this week so hoping it goes well for everyone.

Sounds like your son has been having some good games. Congrats to both of you!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 9:12 PM
  • He doesn't get to play much just happy when he does. Now your making it hard for me to root for charleston

-- Posted by TFA on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 9:51 PM
  • From what I've heard on here he is making the most of his chances and hasn't given up on being a part of the team in the past. Thats the kind of kid and parent I will always root for. Seriously. It's a cool story!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Sun, Feb 9, 2014, at 10:09 PM
  • To answer the 3 point % question. Also from maxpreps.

Of the three players who have taken a significant number three point attempts.

King 35%

Daume 34%

Wendel 35%

All good numbers in high school basketball.

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Feb 10, 2014, at 9:38 PM
  • Another frustrating night of basketball. We have got to do better.

-- Posted by Native Father on Tue, Feb 18, 2014, at 10:32 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: