High School Basketball Forum: Happy Festivus: Basketball Grievances

Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 1:18 PM:

Happy December 23rd Festivus everyone! As the year draws to a close, I thought why not have a little fun and air out the grievances we have with this basketball season and sports in general. A recap of this past year. A good area for everyone to air all of their complaints and not on other threads. I will start with a few of mine own and the more popular ones on Semoball haha.

Here we go:

1. Why can't private schools and public schools play in different leagues.

2. The SEMO Conference tournament being played at the beginning of the year, at one location every year, without all SEMO Conference tournament members, and without the winner of the tournament deciding who wins the SEMO conference.

3. No food or drink in Caruthersville's gym (I mean seriously, who does that!?)

4. The debate on the number of "Legendary Coaches" throughout our area (I'm putting the over/under at 6)

5. The fact that NMCC isn't in a Christmas Tournament.

6. We need more Scott City basketball talk on Semoball. It's just not the same without it.

7. The way Mark Alnutt handled his press conference.

8. The fact that SCC nevers seems to have down year.

So what else you got folks!?

Replies (27)

• #1: N.O. (no opinion)

#2: most conferences have separate "regular season" and "conference tournament" champions.

#3: I agree; sodas in plastic bottles with caps should not be an issue. With regard to food (popcorn, etc.), cleanup should not be that large an issue, as long as fans are restricted from walking onto floor.

#4: Clarify.... coaches now active, past, or both?

#5: N.O. (see #1)

#6: Disagree

#7: N.O.

#8: Good point!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 2:33 PM

Haha those were just examples of ones people had brought up in the last few months. I was just seeing if anyone had any others, just for fun lol. It's a play on the festivus holiday haha

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 3:14 PM

1) Festivus is making a strong push this year because I had never heard of it in the history of ever until last Friday. Sideline, the Rocket Brothers, and myself commenced are usual meetings of how to control semoball and brainwash the masses( I wasn't supposed to tell them was I?) and the Rockets informed me of it and now I have heard it at least twice in my office, on ESPN, on regular radio, on another blog I frequent, and now here. WHY HAS THIS MAKE BELIEVE HOLIDAY BEEN PURPOSELY HIDDEN FROM MY KNOWING?!?!?!

2) The general spite for winning teams(especially ones that have been dominate)

3) DW's trolling on the baseball discussions. At first it helped spark them anew but now it suffocates them.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 3:59 PM

As Frank Castanza would say, "I have a lot of problems with you people" (not really, but it's such a great line):

1. Coaches need to provide a lot more of those great quotes to the media like Ronnie Cookson and Lennies McFerren always did.

2. Local sports is too quiet lately. Isn't it about time for another coaching scandal somewhere?

3. Beloved semoball/SemoSportsWeb instigator "Daddy" needs to post more often.

4. Notre Dame, just start a football team already, will ya?

5. Tom Matukewicz, you realize what you're stepping into?

-- Posted by jamiehall on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 3:59 PM

Oh and I forgot the stupid handcheck rule it's stupid

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 4:00 PM
  • Bunk, you must be young pup if you're not familiar with Seinfeld and Festivus.

As for your power to brainwash the masses on Semoball, you and the others are too late! I have beaten you to the punch per robbincrosby.

Finally, jamiehall, I am afraid we won't be hearing anymore from The Daddy as he has evidently taken a coaching job at Ste. Gen and had a gag order imposed on him.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 4:45 PM

Yeah Preach has us all brainwashed hahaha! too funny.

Oh and a lot of schools not sending their cheerleaders to away games. Like whats the point in having them!? Thats one of the only advantages you have at an away game, cheerleaders to pep up your fan base and the players in the away environment. I understand some of the reasons behind it, just don't like it.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 4:48 PM

Yeah I'm relatively young Preach so when Seinfeld was in it's prime it was beyond me but I have been catching up on it occasionally when the reruns are on or when I got some downtime and I can on demand them but I have yet to see Festivus yet.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 4:55 PM
  • People griping about other teams schedule.

-- Posted by TFA on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 5:00 PM

I might as well join in on the fun.

1. Explain to me a legit reason why there is no food or drinks allowed in the gym? Please don't say it's to big of a mess after the game. That's why they hire janitors!

2.Bandwagon fans! I've noticed here lately there are posters who post a lot when their team wins, but when they start to lose, they disappear. Be a true fan, win or lose.

3.Who cares if ND or Valle recruits! Unless you're a Class 1 football team, it really shouldn't matter to you at all.

4.People are becoming overly sensitive on these boards now days.

5.DW with his crazy comments from time to time. Saying Delta C-7 will have a historic year was just plain silly. You're full of facts man, but leave the predictions to the experts on here lol.

6.I hate that Caruthersville has a bye week in football. Hopefully that changes next year.

7.Seems the sporting world is leaning towards favoring the offense. Whether it's football or basketball, on all levels of these two sports, rules are making it tough for defenses all around.

I could post plenty more but that's plenty for this year.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 9:27 PM
  • As an obvious cult of one, my small pet peeve is the continual misuse of the Class 1A, 2A, 3A, etc. designation by some of our most notable posters. Many years ago it was changed to Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, etc.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 9:57 PM
  • Flopping! No matter the sport. Cant stand it!

-- Posted by IndianPride on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 10:47 PM

Amen Indian Pride!!

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 11:07 PM
  • joefrank78, I've been waiting as well for folks to quit using 1A, 2A, etc.! Might as well still be using Class S, M, and L!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 11:17 PM

1 and done rule in NCAA basketball

15 cheerleaders blocking the view of games for many

Over zealous PA announcers giving every starter generic nicknames

No shot clock in high school basketball

Below average/burnt popcorn in many area gymnasium concession stands

2 dollar sodies in same concession stands

Worn out old lines to refs from coaches and fans...ie "been doing it all night" "look at the fouls" (referring to team foul count on scoreboard) "both ends"

lack of school spirit and community following in many area basketball schools/towns

not enough teams with nicknames on the back of their warm up shirts like the 80's and 90's Scott County Central Teams

music selection that is played at 90% of gyms during breaks in action

the player and cheerleader arm in arm circle with all of them yelling AH AH AH and rotating in a circle with one guy in the middle acting like Drew Bress

and last but not least, not enough mascots patrolling the gyms with a student inside sweating their brains out!

Happy Festivus

-- Posted by 6+4+3=2 on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 11:40 PM

Amen to the cheerleaders blocking the view of basketball games Double Play. I'm telling you if you were see me at the ND game last Friday you would have thought I was dodging gunfire trying to catch the game around the small army of cheerleaders Sikeston brings to games in case the building hits fatally low levels of pep. 7 will suffice folks not the whole 25 girl team.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Dec 23, 2013, at 11:47 PM

I say amen to the high school shot clock (I think something like 45 secs would suffice) and to the 2 dollar sodas! Even 2 dollar waters here lately! This is America people, not the South Sudan, we shouldn't have $2 bottles of water.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 2:17 AM
  • Hearing my friends here in Dexter complaining about how hard their schedule is, when playing schools our size. Then getting offended when someone says you should beat the small schools in your conference. Double standard. And them dropping out of Semo conf tournament because they can't compete. But act cocky when they beat a little class 1 or 2 school.

-- Posted by Hightops on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 7:01 AM

That Sideline guy hasn't been posting enough this year. Thrown the entire Semoball world out of wack.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 7:40 AM
  • Well said Hightops.You know as a Bernie fan i could'nt say that without hurting some Dexter faithfuls feelings. But we all know the season all boils down to beating Bernie. giggle giggle. Merry xmas everyone.

-- Posted by uno49 on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 8:21 AM
  • Note nought flare ups on semoball this year! I miss the days of old when certain posters would flame out and get suspended or kicked off. Where are the "I can beat you at horse" challenges? Where have the threats of physical violence gone? In the spirit of Festivus, could we please have a good ole fashioned feats of strength?

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 8:43 AM
  • I would also like to point out that Rocket689 got pile drived last night.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 8:45 AM
  • I would like to point out that I was ALLOWING you to pin me so we could end the Festivus activities when your not-so-successful attempt at a pile driver was a miserable failure.

But anywho...I would like Mr. Ward to increase his overall sports knowledge before posting. Not everyone is a legendary coach (sorry of this has been said before).

And....6+4+3=2 IS NOT 15. And....the = sign at the end does not add 2 to the previous numbers. That actually means "sum" or "total." It actually is how a double play in baseball (or softball for Dustin) is recorded in a scorebook. I know Dustin is busy with girls volleyball, but you really have to get out more.

I'll air more grievances as they hit (kind of like a turd pain). Ha!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 10:15 AM

New grievance: working on Christmas Eve when 90% of the population is not working or making attempts to preoccupy your time as a costumer. All I can do is file and check semoball.

-- Posted by Bunk on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 1:47 PM
  • My only greivence is that high school basketball doesn't have a shot clock. The only thing worse than stall ball, is the rule that everybody gets a trophy.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Tue, Dec 24, 2013, at 3:21 PM
  • Holy cow if there was a shot clock in high school basketball some of the teams would get beat by a 100 or more.

-- Posted by uno49 on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 6:53 PM

I should clarify a Missouri high school basketball shot clock. Because some states have a shot clock in high school bball.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Jan 1, 2014, at 7:01 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: