Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: MBCA/MoSports Pre-Season Boys Basketball State Rankings

Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 2:07 PM:

Not sure how much of this most of us will agree with but I figured it would add another good general discussion forum. No love for SEMO in Class 2.

Class 1

(2013 final record in parenthesis)

1. South Iron (23-6)

2. Scott County Central (16-14)

3. Meadville (29-3)

4. Fair Play (26-4)

5. Stanberry(23-8)

6. Eminence (27-5)

7. Leeton (19-9)

8. Mack's Creek (18-11)

9. Ridgeway (21-5)

10. Glasgow (23-6)

Others receiving votes: Drexel, Pilot Grove, Risco, Community R-6

Class 2

1. West Platte (30-1)

2. Salisbury (30-1)

3. Iberia (28-4)

4. Canton (27-2)

5. Northeast (Cairo) 24-5

6. Father Tolton Catholic (11-14)

7. Gainesville (20-9)

8. Elsberry (17-11)

9. Cole Camp (23-4)

10. Crane (22-6)

Others receiving votes: Oran, Winona, Sacred Heart

Class 3

1. Maplewood (23-5)

2. Strafford (24-5)

3. Liberty (Mountain View) 22-6

4. Hartville (23-5)

5. Charleston (27-4)

6. Higginsville (28-2)

7. Lutheran North (20-12)

8. St. James (24-4)

9. Cuba (24-3)

10. Eugene (19-8)

Others receiving votes: Licking, St. Pius X, John Burroughs, Butler, Clearwater

Class 4

1. Republic (28-4)

2. Sikeston (27-3)

3. Duchesne (22-5)

4. Grandview (15-13)

5. Lafayette (St. Joseph) 24-4

6. Normandy (20-9)

7. Center (22-5)

8. Helias (14-13)

9. Hillcrest (22-6)

10. Park Hill Central (21-7)

Others receiving votes: Liberty North, Borgia

Class 5

1. Hickman (26-3)

2. Blue Springs South (24-3)

3. Chaminade (20-7)

4. Kickapoo (22-7)

5. CBC (20-8)

6. Lee's Summit West (21-5)

7. Webster Groves (20-7)

8. Ladue (21-6)

9. Jackson (19-11)

10. Waynesville (15-13)

Others receiving votes: McCluer North, Willard, Hazelwood Central, Ft. Zumwalt South, Ft. Zumwalt North, Nixa

Replies (30)

• No bernie that's just crazy we will be in there soon

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 2:15 PM
  • I don't follow basketball at all but Helias must play a tough schedule to be 14-13 last year but get ranked number 8 in class 4

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 2:48 PM

Weird that Oran isn't in the top 10 .

-- Posted by SHS BUM 21 on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:09 PM

Well they did lose one of their two best players right? Makes sense Oran drops. Sikeston is high up there. You can make arguments for them being number one or not even in the top ten. Biggest shocker for me is why is MRH at #1.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:27 PM

You could make that same argument against Sikeston being rank also Bunk. They're only returning two starters from last year and lost Class 4 POY V.Ruffin. Although Sikeston is more known as a Class 4 powerhouse the last few seasons. Don't get me wrong, I agree with Sikeston's ranking but not the argument you used as to why Oran isn't ranked when you can say the same for Sikeston. Oran should still be in the top 10 regardless of who they lost. I'll be curious to see how all this plays out in March.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:33 PM

For one I pointed that out saying there are arguments to rank Sikeston #1 AND not in the top ten. Read the full sentence Grand Master Cheese. Point being that you correctky nailed the difference Sikeston has a reputation and it's role players bloomed and impressed at state while Oran's didn't.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:47 PM

Wow! I'm a Grand Master now? Awesome! Haha seriously though, I still think they deserve to be in the top 10 in Class 2 until proven otherwise. Looking over Class 4, who do you think will be Sikeston biggest test this season if they make it out of districts? I'm not to familiar with Class 4 other than the local teams.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:53 PM
  • Oran lost it's top 2 scorers from last year. They also will be very vulnerable in the post this season. Last years success doesn't necessarily give them a top ten ranking.

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:53 PM

It should be like last year Cheese where the winner of District 1 will make the Final Four. I think the KC area should have a strong representative. I'm really not sure what Republic brings back.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:56 PM

I agree it don't but what is the pollsters excuse for having a 9 loss team and a 14 loss team in the top 10? Not really understanding the logic from them. What did they see from those two teams that lost that many games that everyone else seemed to miss.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 3:56 PM

Yeah these aren't the most efficient polls GMC( you should change your handle because grand master cheese is just an awesome name) but for all I know the biggest competition in class 4 is the class 4 district 1 teams. All have major talent and experience so it should be fun. I'm sure we will hear about the KC and STL teams who emerge throughout the season.

By the way I'm not saying that Oran shouldn't be ranked( god knows I bandwagoned them as my class 2 team in that log jam early last year) I just think those are the reasons for their exclusion.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:03 PM

Apparently Tolten has a kid that is either a freshman or sophomore (I think freshman) named Michael Porter (of all names) who is already getting a lot of hype as a future D-1 guy. He's supposed to be really good. In those small classes, a kid like that moves you up the list fast. That's why they are a 14 loss team ranked so high.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:06 PM

I'll be interested to see how good he ends up being. I agree with your logic though Sideline. Look at what Otto Porter did with SCC so there is a base for your logic there.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:09 PM
  • Agreed. I dont think Oran deserves a top 10 ranking right now. However, Let's see how they gel without Moore or Heuring. They may be fun to watch and be a dangerous team capable of making another deep run.

-- Posted by BLARNEY CARNEY on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:11 PM
  • Now you've started it sideline. Everybody will see tolten is a private school and the debate will begin in basketball like it did in football. :).

-- Posted by crackerjack on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:11 PM

Yeah I remember hearing about a different Michael Porter who was gonna be a good player. I just couldn't remember where he was from.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:12 PM

I would love to see how Hickman and Blue Springs South are if Chaminade is ranked 3rd.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 4:39 PM

I think we should @ least be ranked in the top three?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 5:07 PM

Strafford, I think, has defeated us @ State before.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 5:09 PM
  • Every year the pre-season rankings(and regular season for that matter) come out. Every year fans get notice when their team is not ranked. The rankings may be, quite possibly, the most overrated piece of information in the history of high school basketball.

They mean nothing.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 6:24 PM
  • Michael Porter Jr is a 6'6 Freshman guard for Tolton Catholic. His dad is an assistant coach for the Mizzou women's basketball team. He's ranked in the top 10 in the country in his class by just about everyone.

-- Posted by Champ Kind on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 6:32 PM
  • Not neccesarily saying Oran should be in the top ten (even though I think they should), but they should definitely be in the top 10 at least if the other three teams at the final are ranked 1-3 and the pollsters are already recognizing Father Tolton's recruiting efforts from a strong 11-14 campaign a season ago.

I'm glad to see no love for the Semo area in class 2. It makes for an interesting end to the season.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 7:32 PM
  • I agree UC, Oran should be in there. I never have liked the state rankings.. Elsberry is in there and Oran beat them, so Elsberry lost no players?

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 9:06 PM

Wouldn't really call it recruiting with Tolten. That was a decision the family made.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Nov 27, 2013, at 9:49 PM

Class 2 makes me scratch my head as well no Oran,Bernie or Thayer wow those 3 can't even crack the top ten!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Nov 28, 2013, at 12:09 AM
  • Don't get to hot and bothered about Oran not being ranked in the top 10. Last year they didn't even win their own tournment.

-- Posted by jayrod on Thu, Nov 28, 2013, at 8:34 AM
  • Polls are opinons usually won lost records around the first of the year start to take shape and then dictate the state polling more accurately. Still no Oran or Bernie makes me scratch my head....

-- Posted by uno49 on Thu, Nov 28, 2013, at 9:40 AM
  • Sacred heart playing father tolton tomorrow night. Great match sacred heart has 6-3 g Stefan cox. Sr. Talented kid played at la Lumiere in Indiana last year. Top twenty prep school in country. Going against Michael porter of father tolton

-- Posted by Bballjunkie on Mon, Dec 9, 2013, at 8:01 PM
  • Cole camp has already lost two games. Sacred heart beat 3 class 4 schools this past week.

-- Posted by Bballjunkie on Mon, Dec 9, 2013, at 8:19 PM
  • Sacred heart beats father tolton by 17. Stefan cox goes for 26 and 9. Micheal porter 14.

-- Posted by Bballjunkie on Tue, Dec 10, 2013, at 10:52 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: