Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: For discussion purposes...

Posted by Hightops on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 11:36 AM:

Ok heres the scenario. Your the coach of a small 2A school. You lose all your varsity palyers to graduation. There is no talent in the Junior or Sophomore classes, actually maybe only 7 players total. Last year you had a very good JV team, but they were all freshmen. Now do you keep these freshmen ( sophomores next year ) as Freshman they won alot of games. Do you keep them on the JV and potentially have the best JV in the area, or move them up to varsity? They wont be able to win alot of games as Varsity, but they could win about all of them as JV. Is it advantagious for these Sophomores to play up ? Understand now there will not be any upper classmen even start . So its all Jv players.

Replies (13)

• Move them up! Who cares if they are a great JV in Class 2 Prepare them for the future. District banners is what we shoot for.

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 12:38 PM
  • I'd say let them play varsity. By the time they're seniors, hopefully the experience will translate to a winning season.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 12:41 PM
  • Play the best players on Varsity regardless of grade level.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 12:43 PM
  • Varsity and it's not a debate.

-- Posted by ThayerPops on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 12:51 PM

Agree, I'd let them move up to Varsity. Caruthersville has had it's fair share of freshman and soph's that played varsity over the last 4-5 years. Nothing makes you more prepared than experience itself, so it should benefit the team in the long term.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 2:10 PM
  • Move them up! Experience experience experience!

-- Posted by Fear The Beard on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 2:51 PM
  • If the freshmen will make your team better then most definitely move them up. They can do what they can now and hopefully improve through experience making your team potentially dominant their junior and senior years.

-- Posted by semo501 on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 5:26 PM
  • J.V. has no final four, or state champs, or district titles. Move them up if they are that good they will win their fair share of games as Sophomores.

-- Posted by Real Sports Analyst on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 6:32 PM
  • Varsity is more important than junior varsity.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 7:18 PM
  • It's Class 2. They did away with the "A" designations about 10 years ago. Some one should tell the administration at Scott County Central also. All of their many banners still say "Class 1A". This is not the first time I have mentioned this and it won't be the last I'm sure. Maybe I'm overly sensitive.

-- Posted by joefrank78 on Fri, May 31, 2013, at 9:51 PM
  • Class 1 or class 5 , you need to put your best on the field . Sikeston made that mistake last year (2012) with a 12-12 record. Just think if he had put all of the talent he had this year on the field a year earlier and got the experience.

I've always said if you have a sophomore with as much talent as a senior , you play the sophomore. Give him the confidence you think he deserves.

Too many coaches try to be true to their seniors, when they need to focus on development.

Coach Gibbs (Sikeston Football) is the perfect coach and record shows it, play your talent not your seniors or because of daddy's name. He doesn't care who you are he will put the best team on the field.

-- Posted by PManning_is$$$$$ on Sat, Jun 1, 2013, at 2:49 PM
  • Good JV teams only get coaches fired.

-- Posted by Swish on Sat, Jun 1, 2013, at 3:08 PM
  • DEPENDING ONT HE PLAYERS I WOULD MOVE SOME UP AND KEEP SOME ON JV. ALL OF THEM MAY NOT BE READY MENTALLY FOR THE JUMP. I WOULD EVALUATE EACH PERSON AND THE NEEDS I HAVE ON VARSITY. IT WOULD ALSO DEPEND ON THE SYSTEM THAT IS IN PLACE.

-- Posted by CoachJ914 on Sat, Jun 1, 2013, at 3:27 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: