Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Kyle Stroder to play at SEMO

Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, May 1, 2013, at 10:36 PM:

Kyle Stroder has reportedly accepted an invitation to walk-on at SEMO. Kyle Stroder is a senior at Leopold High School. Kyle Stroder was also named the Southeast Missourian player of the year in high school basketball. Congrats to Kyle.

Replies (23)

• In my opinion there are a few reasons someone can complain about Dickey, but the ones that complain he isn't bringing in local talent obviously need to buy a map.

-- Posted by TerryHicks4President on Wed, May 1, 2013, at 10:44 PM
  • Kyle has quite a bit of work to do before he's ready to really compete at semo's level but he has good length for a shooting guard.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Wed, May 1, 2013, at 11:51 PM
  • I don't think he will have to work that hard to play at SEMO level.

-- Posted by swamie on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 6:51 AM
  • He can go in for 4 minutes each half and bomb some 3's.

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 7:08 AM
  • He might not make an impact right off, but eventually he will. I would have rather seen him go play for Bess for a year or two. If he done that he could play for anyone in the OVC I think.

-- Posted by swamie on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 7:19 AM

I feel that this is a mistake for Stroder. I think he would be better served going to a JUCO and playing for two years to develop more. But hope the best for him.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 9:11 AM
  • His decision may be based more on academics than sports... in which case going to SEMO is a better choice.

-- Posted by deadred on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 10:04 AM
  • i don't think he's ready either. Yes, he is an accurate shooter. But his shot is super slow. You can get away with a slow shot against woodland, Kelly, and Delta. But he couldn't get a shot off against a division 1 defense.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 10:31 AM
  • I agree he's not even close to being ready for the D-1 level.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 10:54 AM
  • Lets congratulate the young man and wish him well at SEMO. His work ethic is evidently very high and he should do nothing but mature and improve, hope he make it at SEMO love to see local kids do well. Congrats to Kyle Stroder from the officiating community.

-- Posted by semo ref on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 12:42 PM

Geeze, he's walking on at SEMO. It isn't like he's coming in to play right away nor is SEMO using an athletic scholarship on him this year while he develops and gets coached up. Not every player is going to take the JUCO route. Congrats to Kyle and I hope nothing but the best for him.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 12:46 PM
  • There are many players who aren't ready their first year out of high school. That's why they have this thing called a redshirt. Ever heard of it? Congrats to this young man. If he works hard there is no reason that he can't become a great player in the near future. He's making a great choice if you ask me.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 2:23 PM

I agree 7plus1, but my argument was that he would be better off playing in games and gaining experience than just sitting. I am not knocking him by any means, or his choice, just saying I thought he might be better off playing than sitting.

One thing is for sure that if it doesn't work out work ethic will not be the problem. Good luck Stroder.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 2:40 PM
  • Is it possible the kid realizes he won't get drafted and he just wants to go to school, have fun and maybe play some basketball?

-- Posted by crackerjack on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 5:47 PM

Who said anything about being drafted?

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, May 2, 2013, at 9:17 PM
  • Semo and academics? People go to semo because of poor academics.

-- Posted by caniplay on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 11:52 AM

What is that supposed to mean!?

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 11:54 AM

Boy people just can't simply congratulate someone these days.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 11:57 AM
  • kobe---It was tongue in cheek. Everybody kept saying he needed to go the JUCO route to better his skills. Maybe he just wants to get an education and have fun playing at SEMO with his current skills.

-- Posted by crackerjack on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 12:31 PM
  • He's smart enough to get a free ride why not enjoy himself Congrats for that.

-- Posted by swamie on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 12:47 PM
  • The kid has a ton of work ethic and a body to build. I just feel that his skill level will struggle at semo. Compare what he did in high school, his size, and abilities to that of Tolbert. He's a great kid, one of the nicest people I've met, but he'll struggle.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 1:25 PM
  • Why do you have to go to a junior college to improve your skills? Don't you think that division one players work on their skills and try to improve? Interesting concept to think about. And Cape, he's a completely different player than Tolbert. And yes, he may struggle at first...but who knows? He may never even play a game for Southeast but good grief can we stop talking about how bad he will struggle and how this is such a bad decision for him and just say, "Congratulations, Kyle. Good luck we will be cheering for you and wish you the best." And yes, I realize that most of you said you wish him the best but that's kind of like saying, "with all due respect", followed by something disrespectful.

Go ahead and rip me and tell me how I'm over reacting but I'm proud of these small school players getting a chance to play at the next level. This is an opportunity that many people don't get the chance to experience. And before you start saying it...no, I'm not related to the kid. I've never even met him but stuff like this really fires me up.

-- Posted by 7plus1 on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 6:00 PM
  • Some of you are acting if he's going to college to play basketball only. It would seem to me he's thinking strictly of academics, and basketball is merely a bonus. It would seem obvious he could easily have gone to a JC on scholarship had that been his choice.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Fri, May 3, 2013, at 7:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: