Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Rivalries

Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 3:53 PM:

Best Rivalry in SEMO?

Replies (86)

Wow, that is a tough one. None used to get as nasty as the Hayti-Caruthersville rivalry back in the day. I am sure there are alot more out there with their own stories behind them. I know how much you guys like Portageville.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 3:59 PM

If this season is any indication, it is Sikeston-Charleston considering the way it transcends across all sports.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:04 PM

The Hayti - Caruthersville rivalry is always a good one.. NMCC and Portageville gets good as well as NMCC vs Sikeston

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:12 PM
  • NMCC and Sikeston? You guys win one game in the past eight years and now it's a rivalry? Not sure about that...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:22 PM

Yeah, NMCC is probably fourth at best on Sikeston's list behind Charleston, Notre Dame, and Cape Central. Kinda like Jackson or Poplar Bluff. Just another conference member.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:27 PM

Definitely CHS vs SHS. I mean those two teams have the most history and are the top two teams in SEMO the past few years or so.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:28 PM
  • More recently Bernie-Holcomb since they've been playing 3-4 times per year. Most recent game wasn't close but they've played several overtime games the past couple seasons. Looks like they could meet again in district semifinals.

-- Posted by bjrosener on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:33 PM
  • Charleston and New Madrid date back a pretty good ways.

Sikeston and Notre Dame is a pretty good one also.

-- Posted by dont worry on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 4:48 PM
  • A little bit testy after a loss, aren't we rocketsbro? Just because it's not competitive every year doesn't mean it can't be a rivalry. Cubs-Cardinals? Kansas-Mizzou?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 5:00 PM
  • it's sikeston charleston

cape Jackson

Chaffee Scott city

Notre dame sikeston

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 5:06 PM
  • During the 90s and 2000s, the Sikeston/NMCC rivalry applied more so in football than basketball.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 5:07 PM
  • Farm, I'm not testy at all. It's just not something most Sikeston fans consider a rivalry. I guess when you win as much as Sikeston has in that past few years, everyone considers you a rival...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:04 PM
  • I think the biggest rival for Bernie has to be Dexter. They're not in the same class, so it doesn't matter come districts. But, Dexter is the team Bernie most hates to lose to during the regular season.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:08 PM

I mean as a Sikeston fan it seems like we get more than are fair share of intensity on the road so I guess that means its a rivalry. Here is I how I would rank them as a former football player and bleacher bum.

1) Charleston( both sports we all just don't like each other do we?)

2) Notre Dame( basketball and baseball game always looked forward to these games as a bum)

3) Cape Central( this is across any sport there is just a lot of disdain on both sides and not a lot of friendly rivalry see you next you kind of spirit)

4) SCC( basketball exclusive and this is the rivalry with school in your backyard)

5) New Madrid( this will flare up every now and then. These two teams never seem to catch each other when they are both up, but hopefully that will change)

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:14 PM

Sikeston winning is definately not the reason everyone wants to beat sikeston haha.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:23 PM
  • I didn't say a think about State Championships. I said winning, and we've done a lot of that in the past few years. Go ahead and hate. As Kat Williams says, everybody needs a few haters.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:23 PM
  • Lol I'll second that Buck. There's a reason teams in the Bootheel like beating Clarkton, and it's not because they're world beaters.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:30 PM
  • Bootheel, don't be a fool. In the past ten years, your program has exactly the same number of state championships as Sikeston. Watch yourself or you will end up looking like a has been...

And Buck, no matter the reason, teams want to beat Sikeston and storm the court when they do. That says more about Sikeston's program than anything. Nice "statement" win last night. Charleston awaits...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:37 PM
  • Clarkton-Gideon is pretty big.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:39 PM
  • Uh oh, we got another one of those on here living in the past...

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 6:56 PM

Because sikeston is one of the best around, of course they have the bull's eye on their back.. same could be said with NMCC in the early 2000s and Charleston earlier than that.. when I mentioned the Sikeston - NMCC rivalry I didn't mention it just because New Madrid won. This was a rivalry even when NMCC and Sikeston were both having down years.. no matter if it's good or bad years for either team, that game is always hyped by students and fans alike

-- Posted by EagleAgent00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 7:18 PM
  • My birthday was Monday. I barely gotta present either. :(

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 7:18 PM
  • There's a lot of rivalries on here but I'm thinking fans not teams.

-- Posted by TFA on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 7:18 PM
  • A Monday? At work? It was just lovely lol.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 7:20 PM

Hypocrisy - Big Papi calling someone a 'hater'.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 7:44 PM
  • Agreed DAR Sports. If Holcomb and Bernie meet in the semis, it will be the 8th time in two years. Right now Bernie has won 4, and Holcomb has won 3. Up until the last two meetings (Holcomb won at Bloomfield by double digits, and Bernie won at home by double digits), every contest has been a nailbiter. I expect the same in districts this year.

-- Posted by No sir on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 8:05 PM
  • I'm not sure this is "on topic," but I'm going to say it. I apologize to the author of this thread...

I guess this is to those that keep "hating" on Sikeston's ONE state title. Well...you have to win one before two, two before three, etc. All the haters said "you can't talk until you win one"...now Sikeston did and still it's not good enough. I look at it sort of like Phil Mickelson does (a professional golfer for those that don't know). A reporter asked him once about how his career compared to Tiger Woods' career. Tiger has 14 major championships (kinda like state titles for our discussion) and Phil now has 4 (I think). Phil responded with the appropriate number of titles for each and then went on to say that Jack Nicklaus is THE standard (with 18 majors) and Tiger is trying to overtake him. Phil said (not verbatim) "I could win 5 more majors and I would still be 5 behind Tiger" and he would still get questions about comparing him to Tiger. What he was saying is kind of like Sikeston....the Dogs could win the next 7 state titles and we would still be behind Charleston and SCC. What I am trying to point out is that Sikeston's "history" has to start somewhere and hopefully it is starting now. Will we ever get to SCC or Charleston's number? I don't know...only time will tell. I sure hope so though! Go Dogs!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:34 PM
  • All I have to say is if you dont think Cape-Jackson is the biggest in the area, then you have not experienced a football or basketball game between the two. The Cape-Jackson football game had a crowd of about 4500-5000. Thats bigger than anything else in the area.

-- Posted by Native Father on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:37 PM

Basically history is mostly irrelevant to the current state of things? I'm shocked : 0

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:38 PM
  • Jackson won a state title in 1934! They have the same as some and more than others.

No real point here just wanted to let everyone know!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:47 PM

Hey thats great for Jackson maybe they can dust that puppy off and bring it with them on road games to show it off.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:54 PM
  • Thread was about rivalries, was it not?

If I remember right Jackson beat Cape in football and basketball this season.

-- Posted by Native Father on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:01 PM
  • Same may be said for Sikeston in 79 years.

Hope that is not the case but you never know!

Seriously, I wish the KIDS from Sikeston and all of SEMO the best in the postseason!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:01 PM

I didn't mean my post as an insult I didn't actually know you guys had won one.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:08 PM
  • Agreed! And I believe SEMO will be well represented throughout all the classes. Hopefully Jackson/Bluff win districts and maybe knock off their second round opponent to bring some dignity to the big schools around here

-- Posted by semo501 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:08 PM
  • Brother Please! Maybe next year we can set next to one another and talk smack during the game, Now that would be fun!

-- Posted by Native Father on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:13 PM
  • Bunk, Thank You.

And seriously, I do wish the best for all of SEMO.

It's great to see how well represented we have been over the years!

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:13 PM
  • Wouldn't do any good to sit next to me. I'm too busy yelling at the refs. :-)

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:14 PM
  • Best rivalry in SEMO?

1. Sikeston v. Charleston

2. Cape Central v. Jackson

3. Sikeston v. Notre Dame

4. The Rocket Brothers v. The World

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:16 PM
  • FYI, the Rocket Brothers are 97-4 over the past few years against The World.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:17 PM
  • Lilman, If you were talking to me about next year that sounds good.

-- Posted by JacksonTF-1000 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:18 PM
  • Yeah, but those four hurt something fierce I bet.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:21 PM
  • Ha! Thanks for the love StatChecker00!! 97-4 isn't too bad is it?

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:22 PM
  • They left a big mark, Stat!! Big mark!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:23 PM
  • Nah. Three of them I was out because of work. The other one Rocket689 was playing with a bad hangnail. We lost that one in quadruple overtime. We didn't expect to win those.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:24 PM
  • No excuses rocketsbro. Not expecting to win doesn't sound like a member of Team Rocket to me. Hangnail or not. Step ya game up bruh!

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:34 PM
  • Heck, I didn't even tell you about the games we won going away while blindfolded and wearing shackles.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:37 PM

Rocketsbro, you put the dash in the wrong spot again. He meant 9-74 StatChecker. Just helping to clear up the statistics.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification, Rick Astley. Lol

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:50 PM
  • Sideline, don't hate because you didn't make the team.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:50 PM
  • ^^LOL!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:53 PM

I still don't understand how I am like Rick Astley. Just because you all had some gradiose mental image of me in your head before you met me that I surpassed by such a high level doesn't mean I'm all that different than I am on here. And rocketsbro, I can't help that you two had a panic attack over how much I would overshadow you and decided to blackball me because of it.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:54 PM
  • Oh you definitely didn't surpass it.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:57 PM
  • No sideline, it was because my progeny was ineligible.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:57 PM
  • I heard tryouts for Team Rocket weren't that intense. All you needed was a signature from any member of the undefeated 30-0 team, a lifesize poster of assistant coach James and a pair of those shackles rocketsbro was bragging about earlier (for reasons unknown to anybody) and you're in.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:58 PM
  • And no black balling going on... No weak links on our team!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:58 PM

If there are no weak links, why are you on the team?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 10:59 PM
  • Stat, you are cracking me up!! Please tell me that I know you!!

I have the life size poster of B-Boy in a prominent place in the Bulldog Room in my basement.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:00 PM
  • Because! Because I am THE MAN!!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:01 PM

I heard to make THE Rocket team, you had to be able to accurately throw quarters. Any truth to that!? Sorry, I had to guys haha had to put in my two cents worth, dang I did it again!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:32 PM
  • No way. I make it rain benjamins.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:34 PM

Yall keeping saying Team Rocket and the 8 year old in me goes straight to 1998 and Pokemon. So find a better name or you guys will be forever known as bad guys.

-- Posted by Bunk on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:39 PM

I'm sitting with you from now on at games! Save me a seat in Dexter. Franklin was my all time fav president!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:44 PM
  • What do they teach you down there? Franklin wasn't a President.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:45 PM

Sarcasm haha! Mostly how to count. 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 11:50 PM
  • Exactly, Buck!! That's what I kept asking folks from NM County...what comes after 1 and before 3? LOL

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 6:47 AM
  • I think it is so funny how fans of a "championship team" that is "10 deep" can come up w/ so many excuses 2 why they got beat by "just another 3A team on their schedule.". Ive heard everything from poor officiating, phantom fouls by scorekeeper, Jimerson getting help from refs w/ no fouls called on him all the way 2 wooden bleachers. Obviously the game didnt mean anything to sikeston. Just another 3A team on schedule. Called adversity. Championship teams overcome it. Ruffin was out 2 qtrs or qtr & 1/2 somethn like that, Hull out rest of season. Havent heard Charleston fans cry about it. Others step up. Obviously this is not directed @ the sikeston players or coaches cuz im pretty sure they get it. Its for those few crybaby fans on these forums, twitter, facebook, etc that dont. As a whole i think sikeston has a great group of fans along w/ an excellent team. Just a few bad apples n every bushel i guess.

-- Posted by Nodoginfight18 on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 8:32 AM
  • just whot is the skcarsam yo speek of BockMajor? and racket679, just why are yous couninting on here Bucko? everone nows that 3 comes after 1 there Bucko. i thinks you mite have a screw lose. whot do yous guys do for a living job?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 8:37 AM

Sikeston/Charleston definitely. I say this based on 1 thing... They've played each other in both Football and Basketball literally forever. There are even pre-game traditions!

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 8:49 AM
  • you shure bout that secetagntman? there are lot of shchools that play in foosball and bsketball every year Bucko. just whot are pee-game traidions?

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 9:01 AM
  • I always like the amount of police at a Sikeston Charleston game thats a rivalry

-- Posted by Redhawks on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 12:40 PM
  • I don't think anyone can argue with the Sikeston/Charleston rivalry. Even when one team dominates the other team in one sport, as Sikeston has done in football in the past and Charleston has done in basketball in the past, it's a big game. But I think Sikeston/Cape could pass Sikeston/ND as a big rivalry since they play each other in football and basketball. It may never be as big as Cape/ND or Cape/Jackson but being in the same district in the two main high school sports, it may be one of the better rivalries in the area. I may have missed it in this forum but I was wondering who is Poplar Bluffs main rival?

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 12:54 PM

Yap, I do think so. Yes, it's true that many schools around here play basketball and football against one another, but the intensity of the Sikeston/Charleston games are on a different level. Sikeson tries to do to Charleston on the gridiron, what Charleston does (over the course of history mind you) to Sikeston on the hardwood.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a group of Sikeston/Charleston folks who jog from Siketon to Charleston, Charleston to Sikeston depending on who the home team is for the football game. Not to mention the tradition of metal detectors and a "fan blacklist" when these two teams get together...

I'm went to neither of these high schools, nor do I root for either of them.. so I don't have a dog in the fight. Just an observation on growing up here. If you have a better one bearcat, let us know.. nothing but open ears here.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 1:16 PM

Sikeston ND will always be a special rivalry if just because of the 2007 season and them being two of the top 5-7 teams in the state. The winner of that district final knew they were pretty much marching to the finals in CoMo and then Abe friggin Diernberger hit that miracle shot and my high school sports dreams were crushed for the first time. Yeah that is something neither program can ever forget.

-- Posted by Bunk on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 1:37 PM
  • well sense you axed seretagentman i will tell you whot i now. i thinks the the just i dexter versus bornie matup is the best i know. thes too towns are close in proieximenty and there you go Bucko. muchs better thean sikek,mston and chleston.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 2:00 PM

Well, you may have a valid argument there, I wouldn't know. I'm sure it's intense so I'll just have to take your word for it. I'll do what I can to make that game next year, maybe I can see for myself.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 2:06 PM
  • that woulde be goode sacetagenmen. heck you could even ride with me Bucko. wher you lives at? bornie plays skieston tomoorw night at bornie, wanna hitch a ride Bucko? or maybee i can get a ride frum you.

-- Posted by bearcat1forall on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 2:27 PM
  • Some other very heated rivalries are Dexter vs. Poplar Bluff, Risco vs. Clarkton, and Charleston vs. East Prairie.

It's also interesting how some rivalries run their course. When I was in high school at Kelly in the 1980's, our big rivals were Notre Dame and Scott Central. Now Kelly and Notre Dame don't even play each other in basketball and the Hawks haven't been able to challenge SCC in forever.

One other big rivalry back in my day that was actually stopped was Charleston vs. Cairo. There were so many problems (like fights) they quit playing each other in any sports. The same thing happened for a few years between Charleston and EP before they resumed playing.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 10:56 PM

A former Charleston Superintendent placed a nail in his coffin by attempting to put a stop to the Charleston-Sikeston rivalry. He wasn't around much longer after that.

Remember the commercial that said, "don't mess with Mother Nature"? Well, you don't mess with the Charleston-Sikeston rivalry, either!!

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 6:36 AM

The ND/Sikeston rivalry at its best had all the right elements. Most importantly, being in the same district just takes things to a whole new level. On top of that, both teams were highly ranked with legitimate chances at a title. Oh, and don't forget the rivalry within the rivalry - Willen vs Porter. I'm tellin' ya, ND/Sikeston in the mid-late 2000s was the perfect storm. Any fan would be lucky to witness a matchup like that play out over the years.

-- Posted by Captain Awesome on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 7:01 AM

Awesome, you bring up a good point. There are long-term rivalries, like Sikeston/Charleston, Dexter/Bernie, Cape/Jackson, Clarkton/Gideon and there are also short-term rivalries like Sikeston/ND mid-2000's, NMCC/Charleston mid-late 90's, PB/Charleston during Hansbrough years. Rivalries tend to come and go, are very exciting and generate a lot of press. Both are good for the schools and players alike.

Which one is better than the other all depends on who you ask.

-- Posted by secretagentman on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 9:42 AM

While some rivalries "come and go", the Charleston-Sikeston rivalry started at the turn of the last century and has continued to this day; and, I expect it to continue well into the future. Doesn't matter what the two teams' records are, it is a bitter rivalry and both schools and communities get hyped for this game.

As you've seen on this board, much "hate" is spewed when it comes to this rivalry. There are Bluejay faithfuls and Bulldog faithfuls that actually "hate" the other school, similar to that of the Kansas-Missouri border war rivalry.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 10:42 AM
  • It's hard to beat the Bernie/Dexter rivalry. It goes way, way back. It's a different atmosphere when those two teams play. You can throw the records out the window. It's on when they play. Also, the Clarkton/Risco and Clarkton/Gideon rivalries are great. I always want to attend the Clarkton/Risco game, but rarely can. You're liable to see anything at those games.

-- Posted by paulm on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 1:24 PM
  • It's hard to beat the Bernie/Dexter rivalry. It goes way, way back. It's a different atmosphere when those two teams play. You can throw the records out the window. It's on when they play. Also, the Clarkton/Risco and Clarkton/Gideon rivalries are great. I always want to attend the Clarkton/Risco game, but rarely can. You're liable to see anything at those games.

-- Posted by paulm on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 1:24 PM

I guess if we peel below the top layer of the rivalry between the teams, what other factors play into a great rivalry? What effect can a team's fan base have? What other factors come into play? In some cases, a misunderstanding between two towns in years gone by may help keep those rivalries alive, even though the real reason behind the rivalry may not even be known!

-- Posted by secretagentman on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 1:33 PM

Folks seem to have forgotten that it's only a rivalry if both teams are winning; a lot of these listed rivalries have been dominated by one team for so long that the match-ups shouldn't even be considered rivalries.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Fri, Feb 15, 2013, at 1:40 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: