[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (36) More threads Create thread

Official Sideline Starter Top Ten--01/27/13
Posted by sideline starter on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:12 PM:

Good Sunday evening and welcome to another edition of the virtual sports bar for all of SEMO basketball, the Sideline Starter Top Ten. It was a week of great matchups around the area from big schools to small schools as we continue through the grind of mid-season. Without wait, let's head into the rankings:

1) Sikeston-The Bulldogs (17-1) are facing their largest obstacle in the way of going wire-to-wire this season in the poll with Charleston on the docket this week. In final preparations, Sikeston took down a game Jackson squad Tuesday night followed by Caruthersville Friday. While the game everyone has been waiting for happens Thursday night, there is a trap game on the schedule lurking the night after as the Bulldogs will be matched up with the surging Poplar Bluff Mules. Sikeston can take an overwhelming command of the top ten if they come out unscathed this week but can also lose not only the top spot but perhaps the second as well if things don't go right. It will be interesting to watch. (Last week: 1)

2) Charleston-On Thursday night, it will have been 55 days since the Bluejays (18-2) took what was at the time a semi-surprising loss in the finals of the SEMO Conference Championship. Since then, they have been on the warpath taking out almost everything thrown their way. No team other than Tennessee heavy Dyer County has been able to play even within ten points of Charleston. They have won the Cape Christmas tournament as well as the Superman Classic at Massac County. This week, they can notch another achievement under their belt if they can get their revenge on Sikeston. The Jays have a tuneup against Jackson Tuesday before their main event with Sikeston Thursday. (Last week: 2)

3) Poplar Bluff-The Mules (13-3) made a successful defense of the three spot this week with wins over Farmington and Cape Central, the latter of which on Homecoming for the Tigers. This week, Poplar Bluff has the opportunity to take the next step and become an "elite" team in SEMO. The Mules play at New Madrid on Tuesday before getting a crack at Sikeston on Friday at home. (Last week: 3)

4) New Madrid County Central-The legend of Willie Jimerson continued for the Eagles (9-6) Friday night as the super sophomore put up a career high 41 points against rival Portageville in a winning effort. After a horrendous start to the season, New Madrid has won eight of their last ten games and is primed for a marquee matchup against Poplar Bluff on Tuesday night. They wrap up the week with a game at Twin Rivers Friday night. (Last week: 5)

5) Jackson-The Indians (12-8) were primed to maintain their spot in the rankings this week after playing Sikeston to a close game Tuesday night. Things went downhill Friday though as the Notre Dame Bulldogs walked into Jackson's Homecoming and spoiled the celebration. The Indians seemed like a team building some momentum at the right time but have now dropped three of their last four. Things don't get any easier Tuesday night when the Charleston Bluejays take aim. The Indians will then head up to Farmington on Friday. (Last week: 4)

6) Cape Central-The Tigers (10-7) lost an exciting game to Poplar Bluff Friday night but are still in a decent position as the regular season begins winding down. Coach Drew Church wants to see his team eliminate turnovers in upcoming games as he believes that is the number one issue keeping this team from getting over the hump. They will be tested in that department Tuesday night when the pressure defense of the Notre Dame Bulldogs looks to frustrate the Tigers and knock them down the top ten. (Last week: 6)

7) Holcomb-The Hornets (17-3) have now won thirteen consecutive games and last tasted defeat in December. After weeks of getting the job done against teams they were overly favored to defeat, Holcomb is now staring at an old rival in Bernie who they will play for the seventh time in the last two seasons. The Mules are coming off a dominating week at the SCAA Conference tournament and can potentially lay claim to a top ten spot if they can get by the Hornets. Meanwhile, Holcomb can gain a stranglehold on the small schools with an undefeated week as they also play Scott County Central on Friday. (Last week: 7)

8) Kennett-Everyone gets a pass every now and again and the Indians (11-7) get a pass for their 0-2 week for playing without junior standout Kevonte Mitchell. Kennett will need their leader back soon as they play in the Bootheel Conference tournament this week. Around this time a year ago, Hayti upset the Indians in the finals as they built momentum on their way to a third place finish in Class 2. Those Indians as well as Portageville, South Pemiscot, Caruthersville and others look to take down Kennett this week to start their own late season runs. However, the Indians remain the favorite to win the conference tournament one more time before leaving for the SEMO Conference so long as Mitchell returns. (Last week: 8)

9) Leopold-The Wildcats (17-2) continued to rack up the wins with perhaps their best one of the season Friday night as they downed red-hot Oran even after losing quality big man Joe Elfrink to a broken hand. Leopold has to be considered the favorite at this point to represent Southeast Missouri in the Final Four for Class 1 with a great core of players. (Last week: T-10)

10) Oran-Just as the Eagles (17-3) move up the board, someone comes in to ice down the hot shooting team. Oran is still in a strong position heading into the homestretch of the regular season. Winning their district is not a certainty in any way though as Advance still lurks as well as a Chaffee team who looks to be getting better and better as the season goes on. With games remaining against the aforementioned teams as well as one more matchup with Scott County Central, it will be interesting to keep up with the Eagles through the rest of the season. (Last week: 9)

Every week, it feels like the upcoming slate of games will finally clear up and solidify the rankings of SEMO basketball. And every week, games happen (like Notre Dame over Jackson for example) that throw everything into flux once again. This week is full of heavyweight fights from the main event of Sikeston-Charleston to Holcomb-Bernie, Poplar Bluff-New Madrid, Notre Dame-Cape Central and many more and I will be back next Sunday once again to parcel through all of it and sort things out. As always, I want to thank everyone who gives the top ten a read and throughly appreciate all the feedback. I hope everyone has a happy and healthy week. I'll be back next Sunday.

Replies

A great list and column again Sideline. I think I would've given Bernie the #10 spot this week over Oran as the Mules were just dominant in winning the SCAA Tournament last week. Also, Jackson is doing the same thing they did last year and doing a fast fade at the end of the season. If they loose both their games this week, I would seriously question if they deserve a Top 10 spot.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:51 PM

Good list again this week Sideline! I totally agree with your last paragraph haha. Just when you think they are set, someone like Notre Dame comes in a messes it all up! This will be a great week of basketball for sure! These rankings could look totally different next Sunday. It could truly be a situation where the spot after everyone's rankings, that lists their last weeks spot, could be different for everyone. I can't wait! Appreciate the work you do to put this together!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:57 PM

Oran's been more consistent than Bernie has even though Bernie had a better week. Part of that can be placed on the lack of injuries for Oran but I've been more impressed with them over the course of the season. Obviously, Bernie can make a reservation in the top ten if they can defeat Holcomb this week.

In regards to Jackson, I don't think we can just start writing them off already. Are they inconsistent? Yes. However, it would be tough to penalize them for losing to Charleston. If they blow it against Farmington though, obviously they will drop. I don't know if they will drop out because they had been on quite a run until this week and are still a pretty good team. I'd be highly surprised if Farmington beat them.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 12:01 AM

I mite be more afraid of the dawgz-pb game fri nite than the thurs game cuz pb is hot and the emotions'll be skyhigh vs the jays. It is good to see pb having success, they have turned it around this year.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 12:46 AM

Bump.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 2:33 PM

Agree with all of the rankings if Bernie wants in their gonna have to take out a really good team like Holcomb just like Leopold did with Oran.

-- Posted by Bunk on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 2:36 PM

Bernie has a chance to do that this week. I can't wait for the PB-NMCC rematch game!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 2:38 PM

You guys should also consider strength of schedule Holcomb has probably one of the weakest around Bernie's upcoming games include Holcomb notre dame Hayti sikeston just to name a few. Holcomb has been playing risco delta c7 south land senath etc

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 2:57 PM

Holcomb is on the longest winning streak in the area though. They haven't lost since before the Christmas tournament. It is tough to penalize them over that period of time.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 3:03 PM

I understand that but Bernie has beat Holcomb twin rivers twice south pem portageville and advance twice Holcomb did beat Bernie in bct but they were without baker the dexter game did hurt but turner didn't play that game either or against caruthersville I just hope Bernie wins tommorrow cause I am tired of hearing about how good Holcomb is

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 3:09 PM

It's Ok yeager, all that matters is 4 games at the end of the season anyway! Go Mules!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 3:30 PM

7 games, BBfanatic, starting with the district tournament. Lose and go home. Win and keep playing.

-- Posted by gianthook on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:07 PM

All of this talk about "but Bernie didn't have Baker" is getting old. What about the first time they played when Bernie had everybody? Holcomb played the entire game without a starter, most of the 4th quarter without 2 of their 3 bigs, and almost all of the overtime period with none of the 3 post players. In the overtime, Holcomb only had 1 starter on the floor, and Bernie still struggled to put them away as Holcomb had 2 shots at the end to win. It's a toss-up every time they play. You don't read Holcomb fans on here complaining about that one time Bernie beat them this year.

Good luck to both teams this week. Should be a fun game to watch.

-- Posted by double43 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:30 PM

Neutral ground would be nice for the Holcomb Bernie game. It also would be nice if both teams had all the players well so there wouldn't be any excuses.

-- Posted by Chog65 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:31 PM

You are correct BBfanatic hopefully thier tough schedule prepares them well cause I sure liked what I saw last week

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:33 PM

I agree it is pointless to keep rehashing the players that were missing from games months after they were played. However, you did see Holcomb fans on here pointing out who Holcomb was missing when Bernie beat them earlier in the year and still do for that matter - just like the Bernie fans can't let the second game go.

I still believe that most Bernie fans believe that games versus Holcomb could go either way. And for Bernie to play without David Baker the entire game would be comparable to Holcomb playing without Jamie Massey for the entire game. When either one is not on the floor, the rest of the team has to make up a big number of points. However, a good team has to adjust, and I believe both Bernie and Holcomb are good teams. You don't hear either team making excuses for the losses.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:43 PM

Amen to double43. Bernie is good this year and most every year. Baker is really good. Win tomorrow night at home in Bernie and then crow. In the game Holcomb lost they had 1 starter out the whole game, usually only play 7 deep, 1 starter out with a bleeding head the 2nd half and 2 other starters for most of the 4th quarter and OT. This left 2 kids on the floor in the 4th and OT that rarely play. Nobody complained then when Holcomb took the loss. Leave it on the floor tomorrow night and good luck to both teams Hopefully everybody plays leaving no room for all of this. Oh yeah, good chance to play again in the District.

-- Posted by MoArk on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:45 PM

I agree, Chog65. I hope both teams are at full strength tomorrow when Bernie and Holcomb play.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 4:46 PM

I can see what all the fuss is about Holcomb is now its that this is thier first and only year to go anywhere in basketball I know that is going to make a lot of people mad but it's true

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:27 PM

That comment is not helpful, yaeger. Don't complain about a lack of respect (real or perceived) shown to your team and then disrespect another team that is fairly equal to your team. While they didn't make it out of districts, Holcomb went further than we did last year.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:38 PM

Come on now yaeger!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 5:47 PM

Sorry I shouldn't have posted that just frustrated at certain posts not just thread other ones too

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 6:30 PM

Does anyone know if Reeves is playing tomorrow night?

-- Posted by jpaawhite on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 6:41 PM

double43, I am not a Bernie fan but I have to admit there's a big difference between having kids in foul trouble and a kid who can't even dress because he's hurt. You can't get into foul trouble unless you play. So that arguement doesn't hold any water when stood next to a situation where a kid could not even dress. And you can't deny that Bernie would miss Baker much worse that Holcomb would miss whoever it was they were missing in the game you referenced. In fact, i wonder if that kid has been a starter the entire year? I'm not trying to say Bernie is better than Holcomb because right now I say Holcomb is the better team. But there is a difference in the 2 issues being discussed.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 7:38 PM

They are two separate issues, but neither team got to play at full strength when they lost. Bernie barely beat Holcomb in overtime when Holcomb only had 1 starter on the floor (Reeves). Bernie didn't have Baker. What I'm saying is enough with the excuses. They were 2-2 against each other last year. Some on here tend to believe that the only way Bernie can lose is if they're missing somebody. Success has gone to their heads I guess.

-- Posted by double43 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:11 PM

Whatever double43, you obviously dont know Bernie fans or players at all.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:22 PM

Hopefully both teams will be healthy tommorrow but the most important game I believe will be played in February at Bloomfield cause I believe these two will meet in the finals of districts and I say that because I have seen all the teams in that district play and I think these two are the best

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:26 PM

Sometimes I think we forget that the players on Holcomb and Bernie teams are children. The players on both teams put in hours and hours of work to play on these teams. Not every student can accomplish what these boys do daily. Because of the level of skill these students display many more people come to see the games. Both teams have the right to feel pride for their hard working team! I hope they play with courage, endurance, and confidence in themselves! May they compete without harm coming to either side!

-- Posted by maryavance on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:50 PM

I seldom ever post on here, mainly get on to look at scores and look at the top ten lists, as well as check for the state rankings. With that being said, Yaeger is really starting to rub me the wrong way over the course of this year. C'mon man that last comment is absurd. For one, they haven't had a losing season in the past for years. For two, Seth McBroom has laid the groundwork for success in year to come. Three, I recall holcomb eliminating Bernie from districts last year. Basically all I'm getting at is you really need to start showing some class and learn how to accept defeat, all I ever see you post is how Bernie "coulda woulda shoulda", and if they do then you blow It up like something special. How about trying and giving credit when credit is due, instead of spatting off at the mouth and making excuses. With that being said, I respect Bernie basketball, Bernie fans, and brad botsch especially. They have one heck of a program in Bernie, a model for how all programs should be in my opinion. In no way do I think holcomb is a better team than Bernie, this year or last. As many have already stated on here when they play each other it's pretty well a toss up. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe they have split 6 games over the past two years? And correct me if I'm wrong again, but I don't believe any of them have been blowouts. So I'm going to stress this one more time, give Credit where it is due, and quit being so arrogant with your comments.

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:50 PM

hornets2010 let me just say we also have respect for coach McBroom and the Holcomb fans and players as well. We welcome you and the Hornets to Bernie tommorow night and may the best team on that night win.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:15 PM

I do give credit to Holcomb and I did apologize I may come off as arrogant but I'm far from it just passionate for the game and whether or not Bernie wins in playoffs I always support our semo teams in any sport. My intentions were never to offend anyone and I will refrain from making future comments. Once again I'm sorry for my statement

-- Posted by yaeger on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:19 PM

Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately I don't get off work until 6 and have over an hour drive from work (caruthersville) it isn't too likely ill make it. I'm going to do my best though, my grandma who lives in Bernie ( and is a huge Jamey Massey fan.haha) just informed me if I can't make it she is going to go alone because she can't get anyone else to go. Really don't want that to happen...

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:23 PM

Apology accepted! Nothing wrong with being passionate about the game and your school, that's partly why I don't post much. I from time to time tend to be very biased. You folks from Bernie have a lot to be proud of, the work botsch and them kids have put in over the past decade is quite commendable and respectable. Heck I practically grew up there, moving away in junior high. Trust me any game Bernie plays other than tomorrow night i am pulling for em!

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:29 PM

Both teams have a lot to be proud of and leave it on the floor every time they play. The coaches and players work incredibly hard. We fans just need to be able to tip our caps when the games don't go our way.

-- Posted by double43 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:45 PM

Is the game at Bernie or at Holcomb ?

-- Posted by bullsfan on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:47 PM

Bernie, talk about home court advantage! Always a packed house and extremely loud. Incredible atmosphere. Sure hope I can make it

-- Posted by hornets2010 on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 9:54 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.