Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: VERY UNOFFICIAL Small School Power Rankings for 1/27/13

Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 6:30 PM:

I'm sorry I'm just getting to this now. I had a some what busy day for being Sunday. Anyways, I don't think I'll be taking much opposition from you "bootheelers" after this week's rankings. Enjoy and debate.

1. Holcomb

2. Bernie

3. Leopold

4. Oran

5. Advance

6. Hayti

7. Portageville

8. South Pemiscot

9. Chaffee

10. Oak Ridge

Bubble: St. Vincent, SCC, Bloomfield

Replies (34)

• 5 out of 10 including top 2 from 1 district. Makes for an interesting tournament and tough ending for teams that could win many other districts.

-- Posted by MoArk on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 7:09 PM
  • Bernie vs Holcomb Tuesday night at Bernie should be one heck of a game Bernie will have baker this time

-- Posted by yaeger on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 7:19 PM

Uncle you don't have to apologize for being late we are just happy you take the time out of your schedule to do this nice work!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 7:56 PM
  • @porchswing, first off thank you!

It just so happens my slowest day of the week (like everyone else's) is Sunday. Since it's the first day of the week also it makes this a lot easier to accomplish on a weekly basis.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:11 PM
  • Why no respect for Leopold?...Leopold's only losses took place in the Show-me center and have won the rest. They beat Oran at Oran and you move them to #3. I thought Oran was above #3 last week....Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. I have yet to see Bernie and Holcomb, but I would have a hard time thinking they were better...especially Bernie. Just my thoughts!

-- Posted by stlcardsfan on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:16 PM
  • No real disagreement Unc. Don't forget about Risco though. They had a bad loss to Senath in OT last week, but the Tigers are still the favorite to win Class 1, District 1.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 8:50 PM
  • Holcomb and Bernie are better than leopold in my opinion but leopold has the best chance at a state title compared to any other team in southeast Missouri in my opinion.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:00 PM
  • @slcardsfan, you make a great point. The reason Holcomb and Bernie are above Leopold is the strength of schedule each play / quality wins and Bernie had a bigger win over Advance for a conference championship than Leopold winning with under 50 points against Oran IMO. I look for Leopold to move up a spot next week with either Holcomb or Bernie losing to each other however.

@PMF, it was a toss-up between Risco, Bloomfield, and even Puxico. I went with Bloomfield since Risco is coming into the week with a bad loss to Senath.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:24 PM
  • Haven't seen Holcomb or Bernie. With that being said, I believe the Rankings look pretty good.

Leopold is the best small school team I've seen.

Oran and Advance follow closely.

Hayti and Portageville often have solid athletes and they're dangerous in Districts.

-- Posted by UFO on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 9:29 PM
  • Bloomfield is class 3 aren't they?

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:15 PM

They dropped down to class 2 this year I think. Not 100% sure, but I know they are no longer in NM's district like last year.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:21 PM
  • Bloomfield is now in class 2. The district 1 tournament is being held in Bloomfield.

-- Posted by tmm224 on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:32 PM
  • they are a pretty decent sized school.. I would they're one of the bigger class 2 teams

-- Posted by Thot McGee on Sun, Jan 27, 2013, at 11:48 PM
  • Bloomfield is now in the district with Holcomb, Bernie, Hayti, South Pem, Portageville, etc. that's a tough district tournament bracket.

-- Posted by deletable on Mon, Jan 28, 2013, at 8:13 AM
  • That's one tough District!

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 8:19 AM
  • The one/two seed should get farily easy first round. the rest battle from the start.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 8:32 AM
  • Bernie 60 Holcomb 38.

Sounds like Bernie may be our new #1 small school team.

Maybe:

1) Bernie

2) Leopold

3) Oran

4) Advance

5) ?

-- Posted by UFO on Tue, Jan 29, 2013, at 10:03 PM
  • With both Kennett and Caruthersville struggling heading into the Bootheel conference tournament, I could easily see Portageville or Hayti winning it. If that happens either of those teams would be a solid top 5.

-- Posted by paulbd on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 6:05 AM
  • I went to Bernie and Holcomb game last night and Bernies strength of schedule was the difference! Bernie is a better team than Holcomb because the teams they play against! Just an outsiders view!!

-- Posted by Eagle97 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:30 AM
  • Eagle97,

Good Point. Teams that get tested more often usually respond better.

Portageville and Hayti are both dangerous teams. Either are capable of making deep runs.

Bernie, Leopold, Oran and Advance have all played strong competition. I believe they're all well tested.

-- Posted by UFO on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 8:59 AM
  • That has been my argument all along Holcomb plays a very weak schedule while Bernie has class 3 and 4 teams during regular season and Holcomb plays strictly class1-2 I l ow they play scc Friday but I bet it's because everyone knew they would be down this year

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:02 AM
  • It takes both A.D.'s to agree to put each other in their schedule for the next year, do you think SCC would've agreed to play Holcomb when Otto was there? Why would they waste their time playing Holcomb, taking away from a chance to play Class 4 & 5 teams. SCC being down this year may have been a reason they needed to look for less dominate schools to compete against.

By dominate schools, I was referring to schools that are year in and year out powerhouses.

-- Posted by deletable on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 9:39 AM
  • Play the Bernie holcomb games somewhere other then at Bernie and it will be 5 against 5 not 5 against 8

-- Posted by Chog65 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:09 PM
  • Wow - and everyone was playing nice for a while there. I guess even without players missing, there is still room for excuses.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:29 PM
  • That was a dumb, ignorant post. I am a Holcomb fan and truthfully, don't feel the referee's had anything to do with last night's game. Bernie outplayed Holcomb and beat them at every facet in the second half. No excuses, Bernie just flat out beat Holcomb last night.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:30 PM
  • Cho all I can say is wow seriously did you watch the same game I did

-- Posted by yaeger on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:39 PM
  • smo723 - I hope you and the other Holcomb fans on here didn't take my post to be directed at anyone else that posted about the game. I appreciate that most of those commenting said basically the same thing you did. I would like to think most Bernie fans would respond the same way if the roles were reversed.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:41 PM
  • See how little it takes to get people stirred up! Bernie did a fine job. Holcomb lost. :)

-- Posted by Chog65 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:44 PM
  • Blue, I have the utmost respect for the program Bernie has. Chog is a troll that just causes an uproar out of pure amusement. I was referring to Chog with my post and understand what you meant Blue.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:52 PM
  • Good deal. I re-read my post and wasn't sure how it came across. Holcomb has played us tough over the last few years. We in Bernie have a lot of respect for Holcomb as well. Good luck to Holcomb during the rest of the season - unless, of course, we meet again in districts.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:56 PM
  • I love when Bernie is underestimated and it wouldnt bother me if they were left at the bottom of all these rankings. that way you can sneak in like a Chetah and hopefully get the prize, lol. No comment Chog!

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 12:57 PM
  • I don't have green hair or bugged out eyes. Is that what you are talking about? Haha

-- Posted by Chog65 on Wed, Jan 30, 2013, at 1:02 PM
  • I'm sure ole Chog is correct.

The referee's are most likely the reason Holcomb got blown out by 24 points.

We're all sure it had nothing to do with Bernie playing a better game...

-- Posted by UFO on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 9:38 AM
  • What time is Leopold's game at Oak Ridge tonight in the MVC tour. finals?

-- Posted by deervalley on Thu, Jan 31, 2013, at 12:18 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: