[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (21) More threads Create thread

Jackson's basketball program
Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 12:56 PM:

Is it just me or does anyone else see a team that could have beat Sikeston last night. I see in almost every Jackson game when they get in the zone and start scoring the rhythm of the game is interrupted by their own coach. Key players seem to be taken out when they are consistently making rebounds and shots. If Jackson takes five to seven passes in a play to set up a shot and the other team sets up in two to four then the other team gets more shot opportunities.

Jacksons football program changes should probably be a model for changes in their basketball program.

It's disappointing when these young men work as hard as they do. The desire to win and talent is there.

Replies

Funny thread to see! I have thought that for quite sometime that Jackson Coach is his own worst enemy!

But in watching last nights game Jackson made too many sloppy mistakes in taking care of the ball. They would close the gap and then have a mental lapse and give everything back that they had just gained.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 1:13 PM

I agree localfan, the turnovers played a huge role along with the poor coaching decisions.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 1:26 PM

I personally just think Sikeston is a better team than Jackson. IMO, Sikeston would beat Jackson 8 out of 10 times they played.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 1:55 PM

I don't think coaching adjustments had anything to do with Jackson loosing the ball game. Jackson needs to focus on their guard play. Sikeston's full court pressure finally took its toll on the Indians guards, who were trying to dribble thru the press instead of passing the ball like they did in the first quarter. Another bit of advice, the entire Jackson team needs to work on conditioning.

-- Posted by Highriser on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:02 PM

Lets just cover all the topics again. Sikeston is awesome and their schedule is too weak, done. ND recruits, done. Cape Central's coach is too mean, done. My kid is the best baseball player ever, done.

Can we please start new threads instead of doing the same old stuff recycled every couple months?

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:14 PM

BLTea4me, how does making more passes before you shoot lead to less shot attempts that a team that goes down and passes less and then shoots? The other team can't shoot while you are passing the ball around. Your team getting less shot attempts would have to be due to you getting out rebounded or turning the ball over, wouldn't it? Or am I missing your point?

-- Posted by netimeneplace on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:17 PM

Every move a coach makes is an adjustment. If you were at the game you could see his adjustments the entire game in the plays that he ran and players he played and ones he yanked after one mistake was made. The teams leader has to take responsibility for his team if they are not conditioned well enough, this happens to be another coaching adjustment.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:23 PM

I have to agree with everything you said BLT. As for conditioning, I heard several were sick this week.

-- Posted by jumpshot on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:36 PM

Kobeyashi I realized I did not make my point very well by saying when you take this much time setting up a play your shot should be one and done and have the right players in position for a rebound if needed, That is not happening. I have the opinion of less ball travel, the opportunity for turnover is minimized with smarter and less passes.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:44 PM

Jackson has to be in shape to compete at a high level. No legs caused 27turnovers. Can't win against Sikeston when you turn it over that much. I saw a much improved Jackson team playing in the 1st qtr lastnite. I was impressed with their composure going up against Sikeston's press early on. They where patient and got some easy looks in the 1st.

Did any of you notice how well those boys played in the 1st?

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:53 PM

Sorry Kobey Jack I meant to ignore your comment and send my reply to netime.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 2:55 PM

BLT you make some good points and probably the A.D. At the school should be taking a closer look to how this program is being run. As I have said before and I stand by it, Jackson you can do better. It could be a long time from now when we have another team with as much potential as this one.

-- Posted by boothillballer on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 3:54 PM

In my experience when faced with the press you have the opportunity to force your opponent to commit fouls by dribbling through the press. They may steal the ball but they have to reach in to do that, nine times out of ten you can draw a foul if you explode through the gap. Once they start fouling they will adjust, that's how an opponent is kept on the defense. They have been bringing the ball down the same way when pressed the entire season. It works sometimes but they have a lot of turnovers. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is just insane.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 4:22 PM

They did play well in the first quarter and then got away from what was working for them.

As for their conditioning yes you could tell they became tired but normally they have been using 8-9 different guys and that has allowed some rest for the others just as Sikeston does. If Sikeston or any other team for that fact used only 5-6 guys they are going to get tired. Jackson mainly ran in 7 guys last night and it got them in the end. Overall a much better effort than I think most expected but still some work to be done.

The team leader for Sikeston did a good job of turning it up on offense and defense. The team leader for Jackson on the other hand plays hard offensively but lacks IMO with his defensive efforts.

BLTae4me;

If you would remember the passing of the PB team with the Hansbrough brothers, they broke presses by passing and the ball, it never touched the floor until it went through the basket on their end. With the way the refs let them play last night, which I felt was ok. They were not going to be succesful dribbling through the press because fouls were not going to be called.

-- Posted by localfan on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 5:34 PM

After reading the SC thread I think Jackson should thank the Good Lord for the coach they have.

Wow, what a mess at SC.

As far as conditioning goes, they indeed have been hit hard by illness recently. Several players have missed a lot of time in practice and I think it is admirable that they were able to put forth the effort that they did. They did indeed wear down and the mental mistakes did cost them their chance at a win.

BLTea4me. To your last point. I have never heard any good coach say that the way to beat the press is by dribbling. That, my friend, is insane.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 5:38 PM

Well noted local.

I would totally agree if they had tried it and it failed. I saw the same play attempt every play though.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 5:43 PM

GotRings. Glad to see your comments came from watching the game. The play you saw in the first quarter was more indicative of what they can do when healthy. They simply ran out of gas from illness taking it's toll.

A lot of credit to Sikeston for forcing that issue as well.

BLT, it sounds to me like you must have listened on the radio.

The press was handled quite well by the guards and their patience.

The large majority of the turnovers came in the halfcourt from sloppy passing by their bigs.

Sikeston did a good job of doubling them and the bigs did a poor job of passing out of the double team.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 5:59 PM

If had listened to it on the radio I would not have started this thread.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 6:22 PM

OK, BLT. Just seems like you don't understand the game too well with your dribble through the press and pass it less and shoot quicker ideas.

My Bad.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 6:30 PM

Sorry coach

I did not mean to strike a nerve coach.

I'll leave the coaching up to you coach.

-- Posted by BLTea4me on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 6:48 PM

That's cool BLT. Gonna start working on those adjustments you suggested and see how it works out.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Wed, Jan 23, 2013, at 6:51 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.