[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (45) More threads Create thread

JV teams
Posted by semolian on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:58 PM:

I know the main thing that seems to matter is Varsity ball, but I was curious if anyone knows what some of the area teams have coming up in a couple years. I hear Bernie is supposed to be good for a while and Sikeston is always stacked but does anyone know of any teams that may surprise in a couple years?

Replies

Clarkton Holcomb and C7 from what I seen are good and got good 8th graders coming

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 10:49 PM

Dexter's JV is pretty solid. When our freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors, we're finally going to be competitive in the SEMO Conference.

Also, NMCC has a great JV. They play for the Malden JV tournament championship tomorrow.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:07 PM

Dexter was one of the worst JV teams in the JV tourney at ND at the beginning of the year.

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:25 AM

Notre Dame JV is the best in the area. Nobody even challenges them.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:27 AM

Let's just say they've improved alot Kobeyashi. One of our best JV players missed that tourney with a concussion.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:28 AM

Also, Bernie and Caruthersville have really good JV squads too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 12:29 AM

I've heard SCC has a good JV coming up, I've also heard Bloomfield's JV and 8th grade are pretty good too

-- Posted by semolian on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 4:59 PM

Who won the Malden JV tourney today? Bernie or NMCC?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 5:05 PM

Bernie

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 5:08 PM

Yeah I saw that one coming. NMCC only had 6 players that were able to play in the tournament. We have 11 on JV. And they've already played 4 games this week, some of them varsity and JV, so parts of 6 games. One of our best JV players grandma's pasted away, and the funeral was today.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 5:13 PM

Who won the ND tourney this year? I think ND was in the finals. I believe they beat Sikeston, who ended up winning the 3rd place trophy.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 5:19 PM

NMCC played well with the players they had there. They held Bernie to 4 points in the second quarter. It was a good thing for Bernie that they had a good lead in the 1st quarter. On a side note, Bernie has played the last two games without Brandon Sparks who suffered a concussion in the Caruthersville game. The other players have filled in nicely, but they are a better team with Brandon available to play. Even missing some key players, both teams looked good today.

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 5:25 PM

Thanks for the update bluemules. Sounds like an exciting game! Hope sparks recovers well.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 5:41 PM

ND beat Bluff in the ND Tourney in the finals. Bluff beat Sikeston in the semifinals. Sikeston took third, beating Jackson I believe?

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 6:05 PM

Dial of the Bernie - NMCC game was 47-42

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 6:31 PM

Charleston is terrible; after next year, Charleston is going to have some mediocre years in varsity a action

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 7:01 PM

Charleston will be ok I think next year with Bogan, Bogan and Webster but a step or 2 back from this year. Then after that, could be some problems. Their middle school teams not impressive but it also seems that they always have guys step up. We will see. I keep hearing that Farmer is thinking of stepping away. I have no idea. May just be rumor. New Madrid will be favorite to win that district in the coming few years probably. Good young talent. Have to say, great way to compete last night Cville. Nice to see kids compete hard.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 7:49 PM

That's what I said....."after next year"

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 7:52 PM

Danny has a few years to go before he can retire, but that doesn't mean he won't step away and just be the AD

-- Posted by birdfan on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 7:54 PM

Oh. Yes u did. Then I agree with you, after next year. It amazes me though, how they keep pumping out quality players. And I think they will win next matchup with Sikeston. Can't wait for that one.

-- Posted by bball79 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 11:02 PM

Caruthersville has one of the best junior varsity teams in the south.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 2:43 AM

I look for Bloomfield to become a powerhouse in the SCAA in the near future.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 2:47 AM

Dustin its interesting that you said that. I was thinking the same thing when I read these post. I watch alot of SCAA basketball, being from the area.Bloomfields JV if im not mistaken are all Freshmen except maybe 1 or 2 Sophomores. Im not sure of their record bbut I have seen them 5 or 6 times, and theY compete hard, I have only seen them lose one game, and that was with their best player setting out most of the game with fouls. They have in my opinion the most talented Freshman I have seen in awhile. Noah vandiver is absolutely a joy to watch. He is one of those athletes that makes things look easy. They also have a talented point guard. He can handle the ball as well as anyone ive seen. They may have a couple weaknesses though. They are small, except for Vandiver. And another issue, their varsity loses about everybody. Im assuming these Sophomores will have to play up next year. So they may be 2 years away, but keep your eyes open for Noah Vandiver. Bloomfield doesnt get much media coverage if any. But this kid is the real deal....

-- Posted by Hightops on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 9:55 AM

Park Hills central also has a talented group of freshman and sophomores. Could be a force in the future

-- Posted by hardwork on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 10:03 AM

Poplar Bluff is got to be in the conversation they have some nice young talent!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 1:19 PM

I watched advance beat scc don't know if it was a fluke or not.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 1:21 PM

I agree hardwork if that buchanon kid continues to progress he will be a beast playing as much varisity as he is as a freshman!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 1:27 PM

PHC also had another freshman starting named proffer until he broke his hand

-- Posted by hardwork on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 1:51 PM

Oran has a decent team this year but I honestly think next year they'll be better especially with this year's group of Seniors in the area graduating. The group of Seniors next year went 19-0 their sophomore year at the JV level.

By the way, that was with Ressel starting every game on varsity.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 1:57 PM

Saxony's JV is 11-3 right now or close to it at least. Their varisty is really struggling but they will compete again in the near future.

-- Posted by grizzfan93 on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 6:03 PM

I understand that David Heeb is really high on his JV in Senath-Hornersville. I haven't seen them play myself, but David is a pretty good judge of talent!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 7:14 PM

Bernie's Jv is 12-1 only losing to Cville so far. This Sophomore group with the varsity Jr's went 22-1 last year only losing a thriller to Sikeston. Next year will be awesome in Bernie as that group works very well together...

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 7:16 PM

Cville lost their big guy on JV, Malik Monroe. He played Varsity against Hayti. They should still be pretty good even after losing him. Our guards are VERY good and could play Varsity now but Steve and Jamal are our guards on Varsity. Look for them to move up next year though.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sun, Jan 13, 2013, at 10:42 PM

Cheese, I know me and you haven't had much interaction on here but as always I keep up with every thread posted and I must say I hate to see what you and your Tigers are going through right now. There's so much talent within that team that is going to waste. I can only imagine how you feel at this point. Best wishes on a better future as the talent is there but I'm not so sure this will happen without a coaching change.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 1:05 AM

Malik played three quarters JV against Hayti. How do you know JV has lost Malik?

Once again, acting as if you know whats going on. I heard Grant was going to be starting in the big man role, but since you post regular on here, you are the expert and have all the inside information.

Cville JV has only lost two games this year and beat Bernie.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:02 AM

Thanks Unc. It's real hard to see these kids struggle like this, on and off the court. They are great kids and they want to succeed. I'm not sure what happened between last year and this year, but hopefully whatever it is, get's fixed.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:05 AM

Malik started against Hayti if I remember correctly BasketballRim. He still may play JV but if I were a betting man, he'd be on Varsity before to long. What's your beef with every Cville poster on here? No one claims to know it all or know everything about Caruthersville. Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder. I'll be at the game tonight, feel free to come say hi!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:11 AM

Jeremy Grant? The same kid that quit for over a month is now going to start? Did I miss something?

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:27 AM

So after reading this thread so far, it looks like the Top 5 JV teams are: 1. Notre Dame 2. Poplar Bluff 3. Caruthersville 4. Bernie 5. NMCC. Is that a fair assessment?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:37 AM

My point exactly gocvilletigers lol... Who would have thought lol..

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:06 AM

To get back on topic. I thought Sikeston had a very good JV? Have they struggled this year?

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:39 AM

gocvilletigersKIM,

You assume that Jeremy quit. Just maybe it was a mutual decision between the coach and Jeremy for the best interest of the player at the time - with plans of rejoining the team once a personal matter got better. Yes, you miss something! Save gas and move to Senath.

I'm a cummunity member that keeps these kids off the streets. Don't knock Jeremy for quiting. Theres much more to the story. For once, a coach put the kid before winning basketball.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:42 AM

Sikeston's JV is not dominating like they have been in the past but still pretty decent. They lost their point guard for the season when he injured his knee last fall which really hurt the team. They are 7-2, with a close loss to Poplar Bluff in the ND Tourney and losing by 20 to Notre Dame. Wins against Farmington, Blytheville, Dexter, Perryville, Fredericktown, Maplewood, Jackson.

-- Posted by semohoops on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:56 AM

Thanks for the info hoops

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 12:00 PM

BasketballRim, I for one appreciate the work you do with at-risk kids. If you and Coach Smith have helped the young man in question get his act together, that too is to be applauded.

Your posts, however, leave something to be desired. First, you NEVER use a poster's real name. To "out" someone will get you kicked off Semoball by the moderator. Second, skip the sarcasm and just stick to the facts. If you must disagree, do so without being disagreeable.

Just a word to the wise and the otherwise.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 3:36 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.