[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (81) More threads Create thread

So much bad news on semoball
Posted by bootheelhooper on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 6:28 PM:

Doniphan suspends their coach. SCC is in turmoil and their best player Banks has supposedly quit. I found out this week that Antavies Drake from Kennett has been suspended from the team. Then today I heard a shocker from a friend in cville that Darrell Monroe is academically ineligible for the year and cville is down to 5 varsity players. It's just a day with a lot of bad news on semoball.

Replies

I agree. I was just thinking the same thing. Such a shame about Darrell. Cville will still compete hard regardless. Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 6:35 PM

Thats a shame about Monroe I was hoping he would end up playing ball at Mizzou, good luck to him.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 6:37 PM

Banks did not quit! He is on the team. Someone besides me needs to give the kid a call and find out why. I know why. He will be suited up tomorrow and playing.....like I said in another post...God willing everything is better.

-- Posted by dog2167 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 6:46 PM

Wow. That is a lot of bad news. Hate to hear it about Monroe; I had heard he was good student. Gonna be tough for Caruthersville the rest of the season without him. Also hate to hear about Drake in Kennett. Always tough to lose your starting point guard. I hope he gets his act together before the season's over.

As for Doniphan's coach, we'll have to see how that plays out.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 6:54 PM

I had heard that Drake was academically ineligible but cannot confirm currently.

-- Posted by Pete Czeria on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 7:14 PM

Pretty sure Drake did not make his grades.

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 7:46 PM

Why was the Doniphan coach suspended?

-- Posted by semo7178 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 7:46 PM

Hooper, you spend a lot of time in beauty shops? Do you feel better about yourself when you dish others' dirty laundry? Shame on you and anyone with the power to delete this thread but doesn't.

-- Posted by Pete Sims on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 7:50 PM

A bit of an over-reaction Pete? None of this is gossip. KFVS reported on the Doniphan situation and the loss of premiere players in the area like Monroe and Drake is also newsworthy.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:07 PM

As long as people don't start attacking the kids personally, I see nothing wrong with it either.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:09 PM

Feel bad for Monroe. The Bernie basketball players say he is a great guy, very respectful on the floor.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:17 PM

Monroe is a great kid on and off the court. I guess he was having some trouble in the classroom. Hopefully he get's all that ironed out for his sake. I'm sure he will be okay and get everything going smoothly again. I will continue to support Darrell and still support my Caruthersville Tigers!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:30 PM

Darrel Monroe has a bright future as far as I am concerned, keep your head up kid.

-- Posted by stlscott on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:41 PM

I am becoming very concerned with the idea that these student /athletes are playing their hearts out for these high school programs here in Southeast Mo., and the student/athletes' academic situations are not being monitored. Did anyone take timeout to talk with these kids about the importance of maintaining their grades? Smh!!

-- Posted by Highriser on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:43 PM

Sad to hear that about Darrell. I absolutely love watching him play. He is a stud on the court. Great respectful kid on and off the court. I hope he gets everything straightened out.

-- Posted by dont worry on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:45 PM

Pete I've seen you put some pretty harsh comments on here. I didn't say a bad word about anybody. I stated facts. It's bad news I'm not happy about any of it. Banks has his own thread the doniphan coach was on the news the other 2 kids have already missed games and none of this is a secret. I agree with cheese I hope these kids get everything together and get back on the team. I didn't say anything bad about anybody it is a sad day for area sports.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:47 PM

Sadly, this has been a problem for a long time. Some people will look the other way as long as a kid can make a jump shot, a touchdown or hit a homerun. In real life nobody cares what you did in high school and some of these kids won't find out until they're well into adulthood, if at all.

-- Posted by Fatboy1972 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:14 PM

Very true Fatboy!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:19 PM

I know for a fact that last year Coach Heeb would have his players come in early to practice and he would make sure they were getting their school work finished before any basketball practice even started. I think all coaches should take that extra step in making sure the kids are competing well in the classroom just as much as they are on the court/field. Kids with such promising futures in sports are denied the ability to go to that next level because the school does not work with them to help them be eligible academically. Darrell is such a good kid with a positive attitude you will not find a player that plays as hard as he does with little to no rest during the game. I just hope that he gets focused on the books and makes that a main priority for the rest of this year and stay focused on getting things right for his senior year.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:08 AM

Beef, without Monroe and looking at Caruthersville's upcoming schedule, I'm not seeing alot of wins for the Tigers. How do you see the rest of the season going? Maybe Cheesehead could comment too.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:17 AM

I don't know Preach, all I can say is that Darrell was the gas that fueled the motor. He is averaging well over 25 points a game and his rebounding hits 15+ just about every game. The other big guy is going to have to get his nose in there and play with some new found intensity. Heard Grant and the Pittman bros were supposedly going to be back but I'll believe that when I see it. They are still going to play to win and I am confident Gooden and Grissom will step up and start getting more rebounds.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:20 AM

Why do these schools have to monitor the kids? How about theses kids monitor themselves and take a little responsibility for their actions in the class room . I get tired of hearing the schools don't do this for a kid or that. Are this kid taken their books home and doin homework are they studying for test? I doubt it . Look everybody know it's not hard to make C in HS all you have to do is make an honest effert if you can't make grades in HS you are not even tryin period .These kid need to man up and take some responsibility for themselves.

-- Posted by sikeston train on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 6:56 AM

wheresthebeef,

You don't have a clue. You just slap about 10 teachers and coaches in the face, who bent over backwards to help. This was a semester grade. Was he working on homework before football practice? or basketball practice? Your not from Caruthersville, but if you were, you would know that are streets are full of highschool athletes that could have went to the next level, but could not get the ACT scores. Who are you hurting by keeping a kid eligible? the kid. At the end of the day, its the student and parents responsibility. If a kid does nothing in the classroom, what do you do? Talk to him and then what when it does not change.

As for one of the kids that you said needs to step up - he didn't make grades either. You watch the games from the stands and have no idea what has went on to help these kids, but get on here as an expert.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 7:30 AM

Heres an idea. Create an Alternative Program and doctor their grades and get parents to request an IEP for their kids. or go to the teachers and ask them to go ahead and pass them. Do whatever it takes to keep that kid eligible, so we can win. Then when the ACT test comes, sneak in there and take it for the athlete so they can go to college and play.

Or just a thought. Allow the kid to learn that he needs to take responsibility so that that kid can do it the right way and go the next level.

Our streets are filled with kids that should have played D1, but didn't. And the Friday night huggers after the game, the cell phone blog coachers, and everybody else are gone and have nothing to do with them.

If a kid is passed through just to play sports, what is left once the sports are over? - not you.

Growing up on a farm, I realize that you can take a horse to water, but can't make the horse drink.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 7:40 AM

That is a big loss for both teams, drake was a very important part of kennetts team, it will hurt their depth against teams like charleston and sikeston , Monroe is probably an even bigger loss for cvill since he is their best player. Hopefully both kids will get things together and have a good future

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 8:20 AM

I wish all the kids the best of luck going foward.. This is a trying time for semo area basketball..The year was filled with so many high expectations.. None the less I still support semo basketball 100%..

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 8:22 AM

Often it takes some calamity to make us live in the present. Then suddenly we wake up and see all the mistakes we have made.

Bill Watterson

-- Posted by Swish on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 8:55 AM

Wow, that's just what I expected to hear from some of u guys, especially( Sikeston train). That is the type of attitude that is prevalent in Sikeston. Speak highly of a kid, when the kid is scoring touchdowns, or leading the team in points per game, and helping to pack the football stadium or Fieldhouse. But, when the kid needs special attention to maintain passing grades, come up with the excuse, "The kid didn't try hard enough." Maybe u should be asking yourself, "Did I do enough to help this student/athlete succeed?" I have witness this same scenario play out in the Sikeston Public School system for the past 25 years.

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:29 AM

Wow, that's just what I expected to hear from some of u guys, especially( Sikeston train). That is the type of attitude that is prevalent in Sikeston. Speak highly of a kid, when the kid is scoring touchdowns, or leading the team in points per game, and helping to pack the football stadium or Fieldhouse. But, when the kid needs special attention to maintain passing grades, come up with the excuse, "The kid didn't try hard enough." Maybe u should be asking yourself, "Did I do enough to help this student/athlete succeed?" I have witness this same scenario play out in the Sikeston Public School system for the past 25 years.

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:29 AM

Sorry about the double post, but maybe u need too really think before offering lame opinions!

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:32 AM

Highriser, enough with the generalities. Things like that happen in every town, not just Sikeston.

You can do everything short of take tests and do homework for some students and it won't matter. I'm not saying this is the case for Monroe or any other specific student named above. I just know for a fact that no matter how many times you bail some kids out of trouble, help them with academics, or try to keep them on the path to success, there are always some that won't listen. A lot of time it comes down to upbringing. What is the attitude of the people who are supposed to be the most important leader to the kid from the time they were brought into this world? Attitude reflects leadership. If the leadership has been terrible since day one, that is tough to overcome.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:37 AM

Haha highriser u act like what u post is fact when in reality it is a lame opinion without much thought!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:57 AM

It is a terrible thing that this has happened, and yes it happens everywhere! Not just in Southeast Missouri.

It is not the job of teachers to spoon feed kids and coddle them through. Some teachers are awesome and bend over backwards to help kids and sometimes that helps them and other times it hurts them.

In reading this thread....the ultimate responsibility falls back on the parents and or family. It is their job to make sure and back up teachers, coaches and so on to make sure that these kids are getting what they need to out of school. In order to make it in the adult world of moving on to the college level.

I hate to hear anything like this when these kids are so talented. They all need to re-evaluate immediately and look forward to bright futures whether it be Division I, II, III or Junior College. There is a place for everyone and light at the end of their tunnels.

I wish all of these individuals good luck and hope they all strive for greatness!!

-- Posted by localfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 10:06 AM

I'm not going to speak on behalf of wheresthebeef but I will say this about him. He has lived in Caruthersville for as long as I've known him, pays taxes in this town and he also has kids in the school system here, so BasketballRim, your way off on that part. I'll let him defend himself on everything else.

My opinion on this is this.

I will agree with you that ultimatly, the responsibililty is on the kid and the parents. I don't know the full details on this particular incident so I can't speak on that. Going to quote someone I spoke to about this and he knows who he is. "Maybe that will be a wake up call for him to realize that he has to keep the priorities straight." As much as I love seeing Darrell on the court and football field, all that should come second to his education. A well rounded education is very important today.

Not everyone who gives an opinion on here thinks they are an expert. I know I'm far from an expert. Just because they aren't teachers or coaches doesn't make their opionion's count any less. Speaking for me, I was born and raised in Cville, went to school here, pay taxes here, supported the Cville sports team since I was a kid, also played sports for Caruthersville when I was in school, I think that entitles me to give an opinion about anything that involves Caruthersville on Semoball.I may not be right some of the time but I never claimed to know it all. I just give an opinion from my perspective. I love my town and my team, win or lose. I will continue to support them, the coaches, the teachers and everything that involves Tiger Pride. I May not agree with everything that involves the school or coaches but I still support Caruthersville as a whole.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 10:26 AM

Preach- I still think we have a chance to win tonight's game. We won't have a dominating presence on the inside so we will have to start shooting better to make up for it. Steve and Jamal are two very good guards so the load will be on them the rest of the way. Steve plays his heart out every game and is a leader on this team. We also have Trammel who is starting to make an impact. Future is still very bright here in Cville. JV is very good as well. As far as the rest of the schedule for this year goes. Without Darrell, some of these games we had a chance to compete in, will prolly not go our way. (Sikeston,Charleston,Meridian) We have a chance to pull out wins in most of the others. Smith will make the required adjustments, get some more players on Varsity and we should be okay.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 10:32 AM

I wish the Tigers the best of luck Cheesehead and Beef. I think beating Hayti tonight without Monroe is going to be very difficult. Just when it seemed like Caruthersville had turned a corner, Coach Smith almost has to start from scratch by moving up some JV kids to varsity and getting them into the swing of things in a hurry. That's a big challenge half-way through the season.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 10:49 AM

I never once said that the teachers should just give them passing grades just because they are stellar athletes. If I were a coach and I checked that one of my STUDENT ATHLETES were about to become ineligible for bad grades I would tell them I will bench you before the semester reports even come out.

I know kids have to give their valiant effort to go along with the teaching, I am not pointing fingers at anyone but if you are sitting their allowing kids to play that you know are not going to be able to play after semester reports come out you should not let them play, practice or even participate until those grades are in check.

I think you are the only one that found my post offensive so I must have hit a nerve. I know all of the kids have the equal opportunity to learn and get an education but for some kids it can be hard to focus on school and sports at the same time, they are students first and any sports related dealings should be a privilege.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:03 AM

U r stating extreme cases yah-yah. I know for a fact that 2 former Sikeston basketball players needed outside assistance to obtain Junior College scholarships, after playing their hearts out for the Sikeston Bulldogs. These kids didn't get any assistance from Coach H. or from the Sikeston Public School system. Nice post localfan!!

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:17 AM

Everyone stop and think for just one second.

PAUSE.....................................

Okay, each schools issue out forms midway through the semester called a Midterm. At that point your halfway though the semester, but their is still time to improve grades. This is the point when coaches have to do an evaluation, with options.

A) Let the kid continue to play say nothing about grades.

B) let the kid play, but emphasise getting back on track.

C) Sit the kid until he gets grades up.

Milking kids for NOW, that's what you see around Southeast Missouri. It looks like if academics is the issue here, the kids weren't doing what they needed to be doing in the classroom nor did the coach use his power to influece the athlet to get his act together.

When have you seen an instution that wants more than to WIN in Southeast Missouri ?

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:32 AM

wheresthebeef

The term at some schools now is seen like this: student ATHLETE.

-- Posted by PoliticalCorrect on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:39 AM

And thus highriser is an expert on all things academic in sikeston, nice post highriser. Always credible when anyone who is anonymous posts "I know for a fact" or "I know someone who blah blah blah". Give us a break and quit ur holier than thou crap. Coach holifield and gibbs are like fathers to many of these kids, i doubt if u have the capacity to comprehend that.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:41 AM

Just maybe Monroe was not failing going into finals. Just maybe the finals are worth 25% of their grade. Just maybe Monroe grades on his finals took him from passing to failing.

Just maybe, you just assume he was allowed to play while the Admin, Teachers, and Coach knew he was going to fail.

Don't just assume.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:43 AM

Highriser, you are incorrect on everything you've posted. Bye bye credibility.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:49 AM

And being an athlete is a privilege and a choice. Its always the coaches or the teachers or the tutors fault in cases like these for people who love to point fingers and are always blame less.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:49 AM

Holifield has driven kids all over the place from Birmingham, AL, to countless trips to St. Louis, Mineral Area, and everywhere in between on his own dime. You have no idea the financial and time sacrifices he has given to all of his players. If a player can't come up with camp money. Who pays? Yep, Holifield. Bottom line, if one of his players couldn't get on at a college, then that college either didn't want them or they didn't have the academics to get in or the player himself wasn't that interested in playing in the first place. It wasn't for lack of trying on the coaches part.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:57 AM

All of this debating mean nothing, he can not play the rest of the year and hopefully he will open his eyes and realize that he is going to have to do better with the books if he want's to do what he loves doing. We are seeing things through two different pairs of glasses and nothing either one of is going to say is going to be what the other one wants to hear. I am not assuming anything I hear directly from one of the players fathers mouth about what goes on within the team. Still at the end of the day the teachers gotta teach and the kids are going to have to want to get the good grades if they want to do what they enjoy doing.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:12 PM

I agree beef but when a poster makes inane accusations based on nonfactual opinion i will call the troll out everytime.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:23 PM

Sounds good to me.

At the end of the day - where was the parent.

The school sends out progress reports in the middle of each quarter. Grades are posted on the web site weekly. Tutor was provided to the student. The student was given 45 minutes at the end of each day to study with a tutor. Phone calls were made to the home. The student was talked to a ton of times and warned.

I blame Coach Smith, Coach Morgan, Administrators, Teachers, and the Tutor - not the Parent or Student.

As for a parent being a reliable source. They know as much as you do as far as a players academics. If its the parent of the student, then read above.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:30 PM

It appears that I may have struck a nerve? I personally know these 2 kids that I was refereeing to, and these are facts.

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:32 PM

Just as long as he gets his grades right by the end of the year so he is able to play football when school starts back in the fall. And hopefully he learned a valueble lesson.

-- Posted by BIGELW on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:32 PM

Yes, nerves get struck when you make false claims. Give me names of these players, which you won't do.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:43 PM

"I blame Coach Smith, Coach Morgan, Administrators, Teachers, and the Tutor - not the Parent or Student."--BasketballRim

BasketballRim, if the facts you stated above in the post from which this quote is taken are accurate, then this statement makes absolutely no sense. If the student in question received this much support from the school, then why is it their fault? Please tell me what I'm missing.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:00 PM

So nobody blames the student? Doesn't anybody think that if a kid knows he has a chance to play D1 ball he would make sure he has good grades. I mean come on guys, these are seniors in high school. Nobody is going to be looking out for them in college. Professors could care less if you're an athlete. People always wonder why Central has kids suspended because of grades all the time and it's because teachers there make EVERYONE earn their grades.

-- Posted by CapeAlum on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:08 PM

Bad news to hear, gotta get it done in the classroom. Grades are always first.

-- Posted by IMADAWG on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:23 PM

Sikestons coaches across the board go above and beyond the call of duty to help their athletes out. Whether it be rides, grade checks, college advancement or any other endeavor they can. Highriser sounds as if this is personal? So be it.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:23 PM

Usually places that have these problems are populated by citizens who always look for someone else to blame. Then these people influence their offspring to do the same. Its a vicious cycle, a cancer to society.

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:26 PM

Preach,

I apologize, I was being sarcastic.

Wheresthebeef,

So these two players knows Monroe's academic history? They told you that the Coach didn't care and didn't do anything to help Monroe? I think you have a man crush on Heeb. Get a job.

-- Posted by BasketballRim on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:02 PM

BasketballRim are you still trying to prove a point when I already said there is no point to be made? I thought in my very last post I said everything that I needed to say. Where in the heck did I mention anything about two players at? You are a Heeb basher and in 3 more years when he has Senath playing championship level ball and keeping his guys on the court you will then have a reason not to like Heeb. Just because he didn't kiss butt and be a yes man he was not wanted at Caruthersville. When your team starts out with 14 varsity players and dwindles down to 7 and you said not only Darrell but another player is out with bad grades that means we have 5 true Varsity level players. I don't think I would be the only one to say that situation is horrible. They should have just given the job to Mont cause he is the one I see getting in those players butts on the court he is the MOTIVATOR on that sideline.

This is no longer debatable on my end I am finished you are the one with sour grapes over something.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:30 PM

I think Senath 8th grade won the SP tournament in 2011. New Madrid and Charleston participate in that tournament.

-- Posted by Swish on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:37 PM

It's nothing personal, my kid earned a scholarship and continues to do well in college. It's the kids that don't have strong family support and educated parents, who need the extra support from our so called educators, counselors, and yes, Coaches!! Some people must feel guilty?

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:37 PM

Nope, no guilt here. I know the truth. You are misinformed Highriser. Again, give me names of players that were "wronged."

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:41 PM

It appears that I may have struck a nerve? I personally know these 2 kids that I was refereeing to, and these are facts.

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:32 PM

BasketballRim....if you would read the name beside Posted by that usually lets you know what person made that comment. I guess that's where you got off track at. I will support these guys no matter who the coach is, that is something that is out of my hands and I am fine with that. Oh and I have a job.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:47 PM

From reading this thread I come to this conclusion.

BasketballRim is a teacher or employeed by the Caruthersville School Sytem somehow or has very close friends affiliated with the school.

When did it become okay to put why Darrell is not eligible? BasketballRim, that is personal property of the school and should NOT be shared with anyone other than teachers, student, or parents. Seems like you can get in trouble for that buddy. Fact of the matter is, someone hit a nerve with you because truth was spoken. Truth hurts!! Caruthersville has had problems within the Administration for years now. This doesn't surprise me one bit. There is a reason why they can't keep GOOD teachers at Caruthersville anymore and it's not the students!!!! Open your eyes.

-- Posted by Semofan25 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:08 PM

"Hoops," I didn't say that the kids were wronged! I stated that for these 2 kids to be excellent athletes. The administrative and coaching staff didn't make enough effort to get these kids into college. Kids who play their heart out for the Sikeston Bulldogs should not have to go to outside sources to obtain information on how to further their academic and athletic careers from other resources. I see other local schools in this area, assisting their kids/athletes obtain scholarships to Div. II, and JUCO colleges. Being a former Sikeston Bulldog student/player, this issue concerns me!

-- Posted by Highriser on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:15 PM

Wow...I can't believe the statements on this thread. Times have really changed over the years.

Coach Holifield goes above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to his players, even after they graduate. I guess if you can't find something to gripe about...you make something up!! Couldn't be more proud to have him as our Coach at Sikeston! Go Bulldogs!

-- Posted by Winner11 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:24 PM

Somebody on here made a great point that if you just try and do your work you will make C's. That is so true about high school! So here is my question. If you have a kid like Darrell who by all accounts is a great kid and very respectful how do you let him have all this missing work? If he had mising work why didn't anybody tell him to stay and get caught up? Because one of two things had to happen here. Either the teachers said just LET HIM FLUNK or Darrell said to the teacher SCREW YOU I'M NOT STAYING. There is no other explanation. Because as we've said if he did all his work he would have passed. So why wasn't it done? Was it because nobody cared to check up on him or was it because Darrell is not the kid everybody says he is? I don't know the answer I'm seriously asking a question here. But if I had to bet on the integrity of the Cville administration or the integrity and respectfulness of Darrell Monroe I'm betting on that kid every single time.

-- Posted by gocvilletigers on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:31 PM

That last sentence says it all!!! Agree with you as well.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:35 PM

You can lead a horse to water, can't make them drink...but you can make them thirsty! Maybe this is a wake-up call for all STUDENT-athletes.

-- Posted by vballmom5 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 4:09 PM

Schools that have had success like Sikeston are going to get exposure. One game last year at a packed quarter final game there were at least four college coaches.. Winning programs at this level usually get exposure.

Do you really think that any college coach is going to sign a player without the endorsement of their high school coach? Every college coach within a two hundred mile radius are familiar with the players from Sikeston, Charleston, SCC, etc. they are usually attracted to winning programs.

Maybe just a disgruntled parent?

Semo hoops, how many Sikeston players have gone to play in college overe the last few years?

-- Posted by Winner11 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 4:13 PM

This could be a plus for Darrell,the kid has a ton of talent.Haven't seen him play bball but have football and it would be a waste to see him not move to the next level.I'm sure he will straighten this up.

-- Posted by hb1025 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 4:20 PM

@gocvilletigers I don't know if this is an answer or not and I'm not talking about your school but let me give u an example that what happened with me. Last year I checked parent portal all the time to check on my sons school work. Some teachers updated it some didnt. He had a problem with missing work I emailed teachers weekly so they had my email addy. Even tho they knew I wanted to know if he had missing work they never emailed me. They felt like my child should be an adult (8 th grade) and do the work. So make a long story short it was the teachers fault and my sons fault. He knew when he was missing work but the teachers fault also because they knew he had a parent that cared and never let me know until sometimes it was too late that being parent portal not being updated.

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 4:26 PM

TFA, I know some teachers don't do a good job updating their records on-line or communicating with parents. But we as parents have to talk directly to our children about their homework and grades and not depend on the school to make us aware of any problems.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 4:38 PM

Trust me I talk directly to my son but I have to check with other sources cause the answer I usually got was I don't know. What I was trying to point out is that the student usually knows when they are missing work also. It's every one responsibility to keep everyone informed. Teachers, parents and student. To play sports now my son knows what is expected of him by me and the school if he doesn't do it then he doesn't play. He has pretty good teachers this year not that I don't email some still but they really help. I'm probably not making much sense it's been a long day. Lol

-- Posted by TFA on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 4:48 PM

Might be a turn around for Kennett. Just as Drake is not able to play, they gained a key guard who would have started playing at the start of the season, but couldn't due to an injury.

Sad news about Monroe too. Good luck.

-- Posted by JH4 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 5:07 PM

You people are delusional if you think a school with as much pride as cville doesn't have coaches that check on their players' grades. You people think these coaches make tens of thousands of dollars off of the players and parlay that into big time college jobs! Both of those are false! Coaches coach because they love kids and sports. Money is secondary. Anyway students have to put in the work and I guarantee people looked out for this student!

-- Posted by hs-sports on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 7:30 PM

Highriser....let me ASSURE you....you have NO CLUE!

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 10:58 PM

You have no idea the time and money out of his own pocket that Holifield has given to his kids.

As for how many have gone to play college ball. Well, all four seniors last year are playing ball in college. All five seniors from 2011 signed and played football or basketball. I want to know the names of these two athletes that didn't have any effort given for them. I guarantee you the story you are getting isn't accurate. If two of them didn't get signed, it wasn't because Holifield didn't try to get them signed. So you can cross that one off the list. It's probably on the colleges not being interested or the kid not being interested. I've known Holifield and his staff to drive several of them to colleges only to get told that they aren't what they were looking for. Or even in some cases, taking a kid to a school, getting offered, and the kid chooses not to go. Not sure how you can put that one on the coaches.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:17 PM

Semohoops these 2 kids are playing for a JUCO college this year, and I personally know that they didn't get any help from Coach Holifield are the Sikeston Administration!!!

-- Posted by Highriser on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 2:51 AM

For somebody that "quit" the team....that guy still dropped 28 points last night in a loss to CTown. How's this possible if the guy quit?

-- Posted by dog2167 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 2:28 PM

Well, as you should know then, Holifield was recuperating from a major surgery and his assistant drove those two for tryouts to Mineral Area College. Corey Tate wasn't interested. Holifield had Dickey Nutt get on the horn and call people he knew to try to get these two placed somewhere. Nobody was ever interested. Finally Holifield was able to get them a tryout at Shawnee and that is where they were signed. And all of this was done when Holifield went through a major surgery. So how again did Holifield not help? You can't MAKE colleges sign players. All you can do is contact them and try to get tryouts for players. I think you are overestimating the power a high school coach has. They don't have the power to force the hand of college coaches.

-- Posted by semohoops on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 2:49 PM

It might be time for Highriser to admit his agenda, since he falls well short of knowing all the facts!

-- Posted by semo7178 on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 3:19 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.