[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (146) More threads Create thread

Charleston vs Dyer County
Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 3:02 PM:

Here's a link for those interested in this game. Should be a good game.

http://www.ihigh.com/haddocksports/broad...

Replies

They both only have 1 loss so it should be a battle and if Parham is playing as sloppy as he ha the [ast few games long night for CHS.Maybe he is healthy and will have a stellar game.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 5:18 PM

When do they play?

-- Posted by Ktownballer18 on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:31 PM

Tomorrow night at 830

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 6:41 PM

Dyer County by 20. Hubbs dropping 30 again tomorrow. Go Vols

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 8:10 PM

Is it in C'town?

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:27 PM

At Dyer County

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 9:43 PM

Vols got beat by my Ole Miss Rebels tonight V,B. They need Hubbs.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 10:14 PM

we need hubbs very badly. personally, if i were him, id be regretting my decision a bit, but he seems to be solid with tennessee. should be a good game, and maybe charleston will suprise me, but hubbs has been putting up ridiculous numbers and the supporting cast complements him well.

-- Posted by V,B on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:31 PM

I'll be rooting for you guys Papi. Can't stand the way McCord does business at Dyer County. It is an uphill battle but I think the Jays are a team that is built to pull out the win.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Wed, Jan 9, 2013, at 11:53 PM

Wait are you referring to McCord as in use to coach for central McCord?

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 12:14 AM

CTalum5,

Yes it is McCord formerly from Central.

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 12:27 AM

Did you play for McCord and if so what do you think?

-- Posted by dadscatfood on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 12:28 AM

I'll take C-town in this one.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 7:53 AM

I don't like the way McCord does things either. I can say this though, there is no way Charleston holds Hubbs to under 20. Hubbs is not like any guard Charleston has seen so far this year. Charleston has a chance to win the game but Hubbs will get his with no problem. Dyer County usually has a few players you have to game plan for, but this year, it's all about Hubbs. He really has no help around him like he normally does. I say DC wins in a very close game, 75-69

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:00 AM

Depends on the officiating when you cross that river. With a fair shake, C-town wins. Not sure they'll get that over there though.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:02 AM

That's also true semohoops. Cville plays in Tn every year and trust me when I say this, the officiating is horrible to Mo teams.

Also I done a little digging and there has been two guards to score 20 or more against Charleston this year, both were in the same game. Dayshawn Watkins had 22 and Kevaughn Allen had 23 who both played for North Little Rock.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:07 AM

I agree. It is typically really bad over there. Although I'm not sure what is worse. Tennessee or Illinois. Charleston, Sikeston, NMCC, Notre Dame, Caruthersville all used to compete in the Superman Classic at Massac and all five dropped out because you always got screwed over there. I talked to each and every coach and they all would say the same things. Charleston is back in it of course, so maybe things have changed. I have no interest in ever going back over there to see.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:39 AM

HUBBS is only one kid & one kid can't beat a team. That rule applies to us also.The Jay tradition is good sound defense & I know the goal will be to give Hubbs 32 minutes of pressure.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:40 AM

Plus Mike Hull, if he is feeling it on this night, I can see him draining 30 also. It depends how the Jays move the ball. It's time for Trey Watkins to soar, plus we will really need him to even consider repeating as state champs. Parham is in a slump & they happen to players on every level, but he is the main element the Jays need to roll.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:44 AM

I agree LU. I'm not saying Charleston can't win the game because they can. All I'm saying is that I know how these TN officials are and they won't let Charleston play too aggressive on defense. I see this first hand. If they let Charleston play tough in your face defense, I can compete with Dyer County, if not, it will be tough for the Jays to come out with a win. I'm rooting for Charleston to pull it out tonight. I support all Semo teams when they travel outside of Semo.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:44 AM

Right on cheesehead.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:48 AM

Definitely rooting for the Jays. Represent the SEMO area well!

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:55 AM

Dadscatfood. No I didn't play for him but my older brother did. I played for church. McCord leaving was the best thing for central basketball. My brother was not going to go out for the team if McCord was still there. He left for my brothers senior year and church took over. He said he had no respect from players. They ran the team, and practice. He said that he played favorites like crazy. Didn't care about players outside of the basketball court. Players would talk back, sub themselves in, etc. As you can tell I'm not accord fan at all.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 11:54 AM

I can tell you, McCord is concerned about that Charleston D tonight. He knows they will guard. I watched Dyer County earlier this year and they look to Hubbs constantly, which with his talent, is something most teams would have to do. He will get 25+ tonight but I really think the Jays can win this game. The other players for Dyer Cnty aren't bad, pretty athletic and quick, but Charleston has better team overall. Interesting though to see how much Dyer Cnty presses...the game I watched, they zone pressed full length the entire game. I'd be curious to see if they come out pressing tonight. I've always thought pressing Parham wouldn't be a good idea but with what I have read about his play lately, maybe they will try it.

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 12:03 PM

Not comparing jimmerson to hubbs but jays completely shut him down so im sure farmer has something up his sleeve for mr hubbs. Goodluck jayz!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 1:12 PM

I wouldn't consider 14 points and the team's leading scorer as being "shut down". But thats just me. NMCC just didn't score many points, and neither did Charleston, it was one of their lowest totals of the year. So I would think if the leading scorer was "shut down", then the whole team was "shut down". Which I also don't believe since they played Charleston closer than anyone else this year but North Little Rock.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 1:34 PM

Also part of it was due to foul trouble, he fouled out of the game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 1:35 PM

I was impressed with Jimmerson. He was dogged by 3 different defenders and fought hard. He has no jumper and needs to work on that part of his game.

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 1:55 PM

Charleston get ready for every imaginable dirty trick and tactic under the sun. If Ctown finds a way to win this game tonight against the stacked deck they are going to face, then the doubters will have to reconsider.

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:06 PM

McCORD coaching Dyer enough said go bluejays.

-- Posted by exoball on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:14 PM

Swish, I agree NMCC seems to have no one with a great jumper or one with any consistency, definately one of the things holding them back, that part needs improvement in my opinion. One other note, Jimerson did have 25% of NMCC's points in that game.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:15 PM

Yeah Ill have to respectfully disagree Big Papi. NMCC hasnt played a game since the 29th, even a longer layoff than Charleston had. They did not play a game last week. Also as I stated, Jimerson had 25% of NMCC's points, while he didn't reach his average, I account most of that to the low score and his foul trouble. I also do not think Bogan is anywhere near Bogan's level, I have watched both play since grade school. Like I say, that is just my opinion, and I appreciate the debate with you!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:19 PM

Ill be honest this will be he first time I have ever rooted charleston. Don't like charleston but don't like McCord a whole lot more.

-- Posted by CTalum5 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:19 PM

And I will give Charleston credit, they are a heck of a ball club, and play exceptional defense. You can not, absoluetly can not make mistakes against them. I also like how you can not go lax after you make a basket, or charleston will already be on the other end of the court scoring. That is something I really like about Farmer's coaching style!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:21 PM

Haha I'm sure we will! I see some NMCC-Charleston district finals match-ups those years in my crystal ball haha. Should be fun and exciting. how does charleston's middle school teams look!? Haven't gotten to see them much.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 2:46 PM

Wow I didn't realize that! Thats good of you to coach them and show some interset in them, sounds like they need that. I have coached several of the current middle school kids in New Madrid in little league. I pretty much stop after little league haha, although I'd love to, I do not have the time or resources to coach them in an AAU type environment. I know our 8th grade team went undefeated. They are a really good group. I just hope it's translates over to high school, some of our teams have not done that well. Hopefully they can keep it up, and keep a good head on their shoulders.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 3:07 PM

Oops buck i thought he only had 11pts my bad. I know farmer will put someone in hubbs shorts though!! Papi'll back me on that one!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 3:14 PM

Where is the game? Memphis or Dyersburg? Will it be on the radio tonight?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 4:43 PM

Dyer County. It's in a town called Newbern, Tn.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 4:57 PM

Will it be on the radio tonight?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:13 PM

I put a link at the top where they are broadcasting the video feed tonight.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:17 PM

Isn't the game in Memphis at the Penny Hardaway Hoopfest? I saw it on their web-site.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:21 PM

That's what I had read also just thought I was wrong

-- Posted by TFA on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:24 PM

No. There are games spread out between 3 locations. Charleston plays Dyer County at Dyer County. The better teams play in Memphis over the next 3 days. When I get home ill post schedule of all games.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:24 PM

You're right Cheese. Just double-checked the web-site and the game is at Dyer County High School. Tip time is 8:30 p.m.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:49 PM

Yeah Papi. iPhone is available for broadcast.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:50 PM

Just click the link above and your good to go

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 5:51 PM

Link not working

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:41 PM

Link is working. The game hasn't started yet. Girls game went to OT. They are in the final secs of the Memphis East/Sushine game. It will be live in 15-20 mins

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:42 PM

The feed is now streaming.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:57 PM

Go Charleston!!!

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 8:58 PM

Going to be some tired Bluejays in school tomorrow.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:11 PM

Dyer County leads 20-18 after one quarter. The difference in fouls is already evident.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:17 PM

That's TN for ya Sideline lol

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:20 PM

Dyer County leads Charleston 44-43 at the half. Interesting game so far. It was a game of runs in the second quarter. Hubbs is pretty good.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:34 PM

Not really impressed with Hubbs, so far; at least, not nearly as impressed as the announcers.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:34 PM

DC up 44-43 at halftime. Lots of fouls called. I'm watching the live stream. Not much crowd there which is kind of surprising with such a big matchup and a home game for DC.

http://www.ihigh.com/haddocksports/broad...

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:35 PM

His defense is leaving a lot to be desired birdfan. He seems scared of picking up a foul. However, I've enjoyed watching his offense. I think Charleston could have built a bit of a lead but they seem a little hesitant to shoot early in their possessions when the DC defense has looked lazy.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:36 PM

great game so far. charleston definitely keying on hubbs. should be a great 2nd half

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:37 PM

Hubbs isn't the type of player who is selfish. He's one of them guys that like's to share the ball. Game going as I expected so far.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:37 PM

"Well that's gotta be my favorite name of the night, Delfinko Bogan"-moronic Tennessee commentator

-- Posted by DukePhan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:37 PM

I guess I expected a lot more from an SEC signee. Not to mention, the Jays are using their post men to defend him instead of their ball hawking guards.

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:38 PM

Actually, they are from Kentucky, but I agree with ya.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:39 PM

The commentators are about what you would expect for this sort of thing. The funniest thing is their surprise that Charleston isn't afraid to go straight at Hubbs even though he is the "star" player. Obviously, they don't know about Charleston and their lack of care about who is the star on the other team.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:39 PM

Its sad that us few Charleston fans had to sit in the mist of their rude fans. They even took over the seats behind the Blue Jays. They have no respect for the visiting team. Our gym is small but the visitors do have a designated spot.

-- Posted by silentplayer on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:40 PM

Is the feed stop and go for everyone else, or just me

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:41 PM

The officiating hasn't been that bad so far, IMO. I guess I was just expecting it to be much worse. DC's gotten away w/ extra steps a couple times. And BTW Cheesehead, thanks for the link!

-- Posted by DukePhan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:42 PM

It's been pretty clear and only a little choppy for me tonight ktown.

What has surprised me about Dyer County is how even the scoring has been for them. Multiple guys are in the 8 to 12 point range.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:42 PM

Me too ktown 5150.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:44 PM

The 2-3 zone both teams switched to has completely stifled the scoring that was formerly going on in this game.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:54 PM

Charleston and Dyer County are tied at 61 after three quarters.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:57 PM

Charleston and Dyer County are tied at 61 after three quarters.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:58 PM

Charleston is playing zone? Huh? I thought man to man was the only way to go. No great team would ever play zone! (sarcasm font).

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 9:58 PM

I'm beginning to be impressed by Hubbs...lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:04 PM

He's starting to be more aggressive. I will say this, Charleston has done a very good job on him.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:05 PM

Have you ever seen Charleston give up so many layups?

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:06 PM

I think the commentators will be staying after to get Hubbs' autograph. They can't stop talking about the guy. Comparing him to Dwyane Wade? C'mon now.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:06 PM

he's good but the dwade comparison may be premature lol

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:07 PM

Suddenly, the Bluejays have become the New York Generals in the eyes of the announcers.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:07 PM

These announcers are about to make me throw up in my mouth!! I guess they have never seen anyone dunk a basketball. Geez! It's only 2 points... They are comparing Hubbs to Dewayne Wade. Wow! Talk about hype. Geez! He is a great player, but come on.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:08 PM

sideline...it's the Washington Generals.

-- Posted by Rocket689 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:09 PM

Had a senior moment.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:10 PM

"Choctaw nations rises behind us"-announcers. No one stands.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:15 PM

What's score?

-- Posted by bball79 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:16 PM

Assuming the game isn't close, considering I'm not seeing any score updates?

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:17 PM

Announcers aren't the only homers in the gym. That foul on the dunk was awful. Game is close than the score indicates.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:17 PM

Hubbs got his average as expected. What surprised me was the Guard from DC: Bostic. He had over 20 as well. DC is deeper than most people think.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:17 PM

93-76 DC

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:18 PM

That game would have been much closer with neutral officiating, IMHO.

-- Posted by yah-yah on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:19 PM

Dyer County wins 91-76. Hubbs took over in the fourth quarter.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:19 PM

Good grief. Outscored by 17 in the 4th. That's not gonna cut it...

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:20 PM

They counted that last shot, sideline

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:20 PM

Scratch that. Birdfan has it right. My feed froze and must have missed the last two.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:20 PM

Officiating wasn't that bad as I thought it was going to be. A few bad calls but nothing that cost Charleston the game. I think they knew the camera's was on them tonight so they had to be on their A game lol

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:20 PM

Dang Jays give up 32 pts in the 4th quarter

-- Posted by BIGELW on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:20 PM

Chalk this one up to experience, if an experienced team can do that...lol

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:21 PM

Dyer County outscored Charleston 32-15 in the 4th qtr. Ouch! Farmer won't be happy about that!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:21 PM

When's the last time Charleston gave up more than 30 points in a quarter?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:22 PM

I was surprised by how easily Dyer County broke the Jays's full court press. Hubbs really took over the game in the 4th qtr.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:23 PM

that's a game where if it's played in charleston, i think the bluejays win. great showing by both teams. im excited to see hubbs stay in orange the next year or two

-- Posted by V,B on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:24 PM

Was a good game until DC pulled away in the fourth, I didn't think DC would beat charleston

-- Posted by ktown 5150 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:24 PM

It's a whole different game when you cross that river. Bring DC over to Missouri and you'd see a different result in my opinion.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:29 PM

Having said that, Hubbs is a beast. I've seen him several times and he always impresses me. Legit next next level player. Reminds me some of Larry Hughes when I saw him in high school. Probably not quite the ball handler Hughes was though.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:33 PM

Dyer County shot 32 free throws. Charleston shot 9.

Dc=19-32 chs=5-9

-- Posted by minn13 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:40 PM

That is quite a discrepancy, but I also noticed Charleston shot a lot of 3-pointers and DC drove the paint a lot. Charleston's difficulties containing Hubbs accounted for a lot of them. In addition, a lot of those free throws came late when Ctown was fouling on purpose.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:43 PM

What game were you watching? 18-6 free throws at half! Dyer obviously shot all their free throws late in the game

-- Posted by Harry_Callahan on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:49 PM

The refs made certain dc would win. Neutral site Charleston wins game.

-- Posted by gerardo on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:52 PM

I have no problem with zone. I was sarcastic. I think it was a good strategy by Farmer because of the matchup issue with Hubbs. That post was directed at those that criticize Sikeston for playing zone.

-- Posted by semohoops on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 10:57 PM

Great 3qtrs for my Bluejays, against the best team they've faced so far this season.. Hubbs owned the 4th qtr, and the bostic kid was awesome tonight.. Webster had a good showing tonight(before fouling out), as well as Hull and Carter..Parham looks like he is back in good health.. I expect the guys to get better and be prepared for the long haul..Nothing will be easy..Go Big Blue!!

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 11:00 PM

Charleston girls played a heck of a game 108-89 I think agsist scc lost but they played with 4 girls in overtime because the starters fouled out guess it was a rough foul night for both jays

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 11:23 PM

Will make Charleston better in the end. So will the Superman Classic.

-- Posted by nimbus on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:49 AM

It's funny how when Charleston gets beat it's really hard for some Charleston fans to just give credit where it's due. Dyer county won, they were the better team on that night. How bout a little respect and good sportsmanship?

-- Posted by '95Bulldog on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 6:28 AM

??????

Elaborate; I've seen nothing unsportsmanlike or disrespectful. Sounds as though you are disrespecting Charleston.

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 7:43 AM

Dyer County has a very good team, equally as good as the team from NLR IMO. Hubbs has a very good supporting cast as he had a tremendous amount of support from his guards last night. With that being said, at 61 all through three quarters Charleston hung right with them on their home court. If the jays play as well as they did last night, they will not have any issues the rest of the way out... Great to see Parham back!

-- Posted by gerardo on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 8:38 AM

Congratulations to Dyer County. I hope that this makes the Jays better in March.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:00 PM

GREAT GAME BLUEJAYS!!!!! I LOVE WHEN WE PLAY TOP NOTCH TALENT.

-- Posted by LU BLUETIGERS on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:15 PM

I agree playing tough games makes a team better. When schedules are soft and blow outs occur the team may and I say may take that for granted later. And as for as the zone comment coming from hoops. If a coach wants to have tunnel vision and play one defense that's his choice. I guarantee you that if Fort Z didn't adjust their defense on Ruffin to a box and 1 that game would not have turned out the way it did being close. People act like when u say what's wrong with change you hand cursed them and spit in their face. Only thing that shows any team is that they don't have to adjust a play for a different defense when it's the same. I'm sure Farmer changing to zone was better for him this game because that was working. I'm sure when they meet Sikeston they will probably be in man to man who knows he may even go to a box and 1 since that gave Ruffin a little trouble because their aren't any other legitiment ball handlers for Sikeston besides Ruffin.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:18 PM

Once again stlfan is disgruntled with how Sikeston plays defense.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:30 PM

Way to go Jays!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:34 PM

I just read on ESPN that Hubbs guy has, like, 13 D1 offers.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:34 PM

That's the thing stlfan38, Sikeston does have other defenses they can use. But for the most part they stick with what works. The whole idea is to become great at one defense instead of good to average at several.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:30 PM

not good enough semo....u have to be able to play at least 3-4 defenses perfectly. Only way to be a champion.??? SCC and Ctown have played the same defenses for their team for years and Im sure Lu and Big Papi can and will support that it works. stl has a vision and I think he needs to take it to the court, get a coaching job and live out his beliefs. Good luck to him.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 1:39 PM

Im way beyond disgruntled I could care less what defense they play.SHS plays zone thats their comfort zone and thats their choice.Other area teams have won alot of championships with variety.SHS has won one.I still stick to my point that unless SHS has 10 deep as the did with the 30-0 team it may be awhile before another banner is hung.They are rolling now and have played only two good teams this season.That being CHS and Fort Z.So one could argue they are great but its easy to be great when you are pounding on baby teams who are no competition.Tonight might be the best match for them against a MRH team.We will see. But I can almost say that Frazier will adjust the game according to how the flow of the game is goin. We will see.@semohoops you say for the most part really SHS hasnt played man since(yawning).That long.lol its cool I guess when the Great zone plays out then they will go to the several average.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:20 PM

Why don't you go talk to Coach Holifield and share your expertise?

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:22 PM

Actually most area teams that have won state championships did it with one defense that they mastered. With Charleston, it's man to man. With Scott Central, it was zone. Borgia runs zone and only zone. Vashon was man to man and only man to man. If Sikeston never wins another state title, it won't be because of the defense they are playing or not playing. It will be because they ran into a better, more talented team.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:25 PM

I agree....if u want to get all of your disgruntlement out, speak to the coach. Im sure if he has time from preparing for Maplewood, he would be more than glad to discuss your concerns. My guess is that u will stay hidden in here and continue to downgrade him in a cowardly way.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:28 PM

Rick Pitino says he believes that the element of surprise and changing defenses is the best strategy.

Bobby Knight says you do one thing and execute it to perfection.

It would be tough to win an argument with either one of those guys.

-- Posted by Swish on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:32 PM

I'm just curious what a change in defense would have accomplished the past 7 years. I want to hear an expert's opinion. Here is Sikeston's resume the past 7 plus years.

06 - Finished 23-6 and lost 77-61 to Borgia in the state title game. Played the entire game man to man and box and 1. Nothing was stopping this machine.

07 - Finished 17-9 and lost 67-65 to Notre Dame in district championship. Played entire game man to man. ND went on to take 2nd in the state, losing by 1 point to Ruskin.

08 - Finished 22-4 and lost 57-37 to Notre Dame in district championship. Played entirely man to man and some zone. ND rolled easily to the state title.

09 - Finished 24-4 and lost 50-41 to eventualy state champion Borgia in the quarterfinals. Played mostly zone and a little man. They were hurt worse in the man, so they went back to zone. Borgia went unchallenged the rest of the way.

10 - Finished 21-4 and lost 67-55 to an undefeated nationally ranked Borgia in the quarterfinals. Played entirely zone. Borgia lost in the title game to Kearney, who played....wait for it....zone.

11 - Undefeated state champs. 30-0. Barely even challenged all year. Played zone and only zone the entire season.

12 - Graduated four starters, including three all-staters and still went 23-5, losing to an all-star collection of talent at Imagine Prep by 1 point in the quarterfinals. Played zone all year.

13 - Graduated four starters and so far 13-0 and have played zone for the most part other than a couple possessions of man.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 2:57 PM

Big Papi...now coming from a Charleston person who has mentioned "championships" statement several times....past is all we have to protect today. If u want present, he stated 13-0.

-- Posted by barkleyfan on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 3:43 PM

At the end of the day all that and still 1 ring. I rest my Case. Having a 500 season seems to be all you are trying to prove. If McFerren or Cookson had the teams they would probably have 4 or 5 rings not just one. With that defense that win championships. Rest In Peace with that weak run me down.

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 6:00 PM

I'm at the game Barkley never hiding from a fool

-- Posted by stlfan38 on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 6:07 PM

I'm not disrespecting ctown. I would love to see them win another championship. My point is they got beat by dyer county, yet some of the posters on here state that the refs screwed them. All I am saying is it would be nice to see some of the posters say that they were beaten by a better team on that night. Ctown could probably take 6 of 10 from them, but that night just wasn't there's. Just like tonight's wasn't sikestons against maplewood. They were the better team tonight.

-- Posted by '95Bulldog on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 9:43 PM

Cookson, McFerren, John Wooden. None of them would have won state more than once in that stretch. Sikeston lost to better teams each time. My point is, what defense would you have run in those games stlfan38? I want to hear the expert. Or better yet, quit hiding and help our poor Coach Holifield. He is open minded and will listen to your expert opinion.

-- Posted by semohoops on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 11:12 PM

Big Papi,

Sikeston went 30-0 a couple of years back and they didn't have any 5 star players either. And if it only takes one player to win the game, what's that say about your team? I have great respect for Charleston basketball, I don't want anyone to doubt that. We did lose at home, by 3 I might add. But you can't compare Sikeston's loss to Charleston's loss. Like it was said earlier. It's great to go undefeated, but all that really matters is the state title.

-- Posted by '95Bulldog on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 8:48 AM

Who's questioning ctown's success? Not me! You are already rooting and tooting papi. You always are. I would be proud of a storied program as well, and you should be. I'm proud of Sikeston's team this year. I think the coach has done a heck of a job and the kids work hard for him. You are confusing my statement to be one of bashing ctown. I'm not doing that at all. Come Jan 31st, who cares? If you win, great, if we win, great. We aren't in the same class so we won't even see each other in the tournament. Best of luck to ctown the rest of the year, and if I were them, I wouldn't worry about sikeston too much.

-- Posted by '95Bulldog on Sat, Jan 12, 2013, at 11:38 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.