[semoball.com] Login | Register
Post reply Read replies (94) More threads Create thread

Superman Classic
Posted by Swish on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 7:20 PM:

Has it been seeded?

Replies

Here are the seeds for the Superman Classic

http://mchs.massac.org/superman-classic-...

StLScott, what do you know about Madison IL?

-- Posted by Swish on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:37 PM

Looks like we are headed for a clash with Madison IL. If Charleston wins I am sure Scott will have a very reasonable explanation for how charleston is not on the level of Sikeston, Maplewood or Madison Prep.

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Jan 10, 2013, at 1:49 PM

So other than Madison, does anybody know anthing about the other teams in this tourney?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Fri, Jan 11, 2013, at 12:11 PM

Is this going to be broadcast online?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 7:22 PM

Big papi "according to Scott Madison Prep is unbeatable", well they havent been beaten chief, and Im 100% sure youve never seen them play so please, be quiet, thanks.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 7:29 PM

And swish Charleston isnt on any of those 3 teams level, IMO, and for the record if I dont think Charleston is that good, it doesnt mean I have something against Charleston, grow up Papi.

-- Posted by stlscott on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 7:31 PM

Does anybody have an update on tonight's games?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 8:26 PM

Charleston defeated Century 86-43; saw a picture taken of all five starters on the bench in the middle of the game and the stands looked as though there weren't 50 in attendance.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:40 PM

Pretty sad birdfan. Who does Charleston play Friday night in the semi-finals? Which team over there do you think can challenge the Jays?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:45 PM

The winner of Madison IL and Meridian IL, the 4 and 5 seeds. Carbondale has a pretty good team; I believe they're the 2 seed with Massac County as the 3 seed.

-- Posted by birdfan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:47 PM

Do you know who won the game between Meridian and Madison?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 9:52 PM

StlScott reminds me of a mosports poster from several years ago. None of the se Missouri teams were ever as good as the St. Louis teams. Funny though, by my count the Missouri bootheel has AT Least 39 state basketball championships between New Madrid, Portageville, Sikeston, Charleston, ND,Poplar Bluff, and Bell City. Am I leaving anyone out? He is a little troll who gets off on aggravating SE Missouri basketball fans. The numbers speak for themselves. Southeast Missouri has the best basketball in the state.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:04 PM

Don't forget about SCC's 15 -- the MOST in Missouri history.

-- Posted by StatChecker00 on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:05 PM

StlScott reminds me of a mosports poster from several years ago. None of the se Missouri teams were ever as good as the St. Louis teams. Funny though, by my count the Missouri bootheel has AT Least 39 state basketball championships between New Madrid, Portageville, Sikeston, Charleston, ND,Poplar Bluff, and Bell City. Am I leaving anyone out? He is a little troll who gets off on aggravating SE Missouri basketball fans. The numbers speak for themselves. Southeast Missouri has the best basketball in the state.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:06 PM

I included them in the 39 but forgot to list them

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:07 PM

How far back are we going!? Cause I believe southeast Missouri has more than that.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:14 PM

Madison, il won 70-60 over meridian.

-- Posted by gerardo on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 10:37 PM

Bluejay fan see post toward bottom of sideline's top ten

-- Posted by Swish on Mon, Jan 14, 2013, at 11:26 PM

@ Gerado. Madison won 71-63 tonite. Meridian beat Madison staurday 62-59

-- Posted by bballfan71 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 3:11 AM

I forgot Puxico. How many state titles did they win?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 5:53 AM

"Well they haven't been beaten chief" ---stlscott. That may be true, but I remember a 2007 Malden team that was 27-0 and ranked #1 all season long and when they met Ctown in sectionals, the Jays beat them by 40-50 on their way to their 10th state title.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 6:01 AM

thx for correction bballfan... got my info off of STLToday last night.

-- Posted by gerardo on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:44 AM

No Problem Gerardo. They always screw up scores when someone other that a st. louis team plays a team up there.i notice they dont have the score from saturday when meridian beat Madison. pretty sure they do the same for SE missori teams as well.

-- Posted by bballfan71 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:55 AM

do the same to SE missouri teams making everyone futher south than st.louis look bad

-- Posted by bballfan71 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 10:58 AM

I agree. I don't have much use for the Post Dispatch...

-- Posted by gerardo on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 11:21 AM

Actually Malden was 27-2 that year and never ranked No. 1 and Charleston beat them by 21, 80-59. Just to clarify the facts. But a great game by the Jays that night against a talented Malden team that in my opinion may have been the 2nd best team in the state. I thought they were far better than Bowling Green and Pembroke Hill, who Charleston played in the finals.

-- Posted by semohoops on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 11:31 AM

i remember when Unlv was defeated in finall four by duke, but whats that have to do with anything bluejay fanatic, Charleston needs to let go of the past.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 11:56 AM

Once a tradition is built, you don't let go of it, stlscott. The tradition is what sustains the program at its perennial high level; let it go and the program will slide. Not to mention, you ought to know that.

-- Posted by birdfan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 12:30 PM

stlscott, you say Madison is so good and that Charleston cant beat them, but meridian beat them and Charleston beat meridian by what, 40?? Now I know you cant ever say well they beat them by 40 so they will beat the other team by 50, but if youre telling me that if meridian beat Madison and that Charleston has no chance of beating Madison well I believe my chosen one, that there is something wrong with you hillbilly..

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 12:57 PM

It is I...

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:03 PM

I think that Cape Girardeau won a state title in 1980 but I am unsure? I am thinking that Puxico was the first team from the area to win a state title way back in the day but I am unsure of that also.

What about the ladies? I believe SCC, Notre Dame, Jackson, NMCC, PB, Charleston, Perryville, Doniphan, Delta (and maybe a few more) have been to the final four a few times? I know that the SCC women have won titles.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:08 PM

Im from mounds and i will say that Madison will not beat Charleston.Meridian could have gotten the win yesterday but got in deep foul trouble.they was up 8 on madison near the end of the 3rd.saturday Meridian held a double digit lead half of the game.

-- Posted by bballfan71 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:11 PM

Not saying Madison isnt a good team because they are and have a multiple state champioships to show for it

-- Posted by bballfan71 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:13 PM

Good luck to our Bluejays.. I don't see Madison,IL. beating my Jays..Meridian isn't a good basketball team IMO.. I witnessed the beating they took @ the hands of Charleston last month.. Madison could very well be a victim of a blowout.. What you think Lil Scott?.

-- Posted by GotRingsDoU? on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:27 PM

How is Parham's injury? Isn't it or was it his hamstring/leg?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 1:44 PM

First team from SEMO to win a state basketball title was Fruitland in 1932 (Class B). Jackson won it in '34 when there were no classes--just one title, and Zalma took Class B in 1940. Those were all the SEMO titles before Puxico's legendary '51 and '52 teams.

I have tried to keep track of the SEMO titles from '74 through the present. ('74 is the year the state went to the numerical classification system.) Using the U of MO Extension Division's definition of SEMO, which includes 16 counties--Iron, Madison, Perry as the northern border and all the counties directly south of them--I came up with 55 boys basketball titles for SEMO. That's 33% of the number contested. During that period, the SEMO area had around 11% of the schools in the state.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 2:08 PM

Good work, unclegrubworm. I could only research back to Puxico. What about the women or does your research include both?

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 2:17 PM

That's only for the boys. Haven't done it for the girls. Wouldn't be very impressive, I don't think.

SCC's girls have 7, Perryville has one ('86), and ND won one in '02. I think that's it.

By the way, I'm pretty sure SCC's boys have 16 instead of 15.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 3:00 PM

Unc, I'm pretty sure Poplar Bluff has won a couple of girls state titles.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 3:05 PM

This is a different Madison. Madison Prep is not in the Superman Classic - that is Madison IL which I believe is in East St. Louis. But according to Big Papi Madison took Madison Prep to the wire.

Tradition means nothing to the Celtics, Lakers, Cardinals, and Yankees. Scott, how could so many people have it so wrong??? Maybe you are the one who needs to let go of something??????

But seriously, most of you are just not on the same level as Scott. You saw all of his predictions last year - how wrong could a person be? But staying with his logic he has let go of his past, his TRADITION it has no relevancy or effect on his current expertise.

This is sooooo fun and easy.

-- Posted by Swish on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 4:08 PM

stlScott...If you will look to the right, you will see what tradition looks like. I have lived in Charleston for eight years. During that time, I have watched our young men win two state championships; however. I am proud of the tradition that Charleston has built in high school basketball and I understand what it means not only to our school but to our community. Next to SCC, Charleston owns the most state titles of any team in the state. When you start running down the Bluejays, you are walking on the "fighting side" (showing my age here) of most Bluejay fans. We love our Bluejays and if you cut one of us---we bleed blue. WMRH or Madison. It doesn't matter to us who we face because our young men will leave nothing in the locker room because THEY know what it means to wear BLUEJAYS across their chests. Win or lose we love our boys.

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 4:25 PM

I know Matthews won a state basketball title in 1968.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 5:22 PM

Malden won state in 1984--with jenkins, pugh and ison

-- Posted by waveman on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:05 PM

I think North Pemiscot won in 1980 class 1-- I am not 100% but i think I am right on that

-- Posted by waveman on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:06 PM

Dont forget Portageville

-- Posted by waveman on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:07 PM

Malden won in 1985 beating Lutheran North 88-67 and North Pemiscot won in 1981 beating Willow Springs 51-49.

-- Posted by rocketsbro on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:28 PM

Matthews did win in '68. I didn't try to list every title. I could do that, I suppose.

Malden won 3A in '85. I saw that one. Malden definitely would have had a shot at beating Vashon, the 4A champ. Two best in the state that year might have been Malden and McKinley, whom Malden beat in the quarterfinals in a rim-rocking contest that people still talk about.

North Pem took 2A in '81.

Preacher Man Fan, the Bluff never won the girls title. Lost to Eureka in the 2000 4A final after winning the semi in dramatic fashion. PB also has two 3rd place finishes and three 4ths.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:30 PM

Should mention one other thing. I was wondering about this when I posted earlier and just found the info.

John S. Cobb School of Cape won the MNIAA state tournament in Class B in '39, '40, and '53.

Wheatley in Poplar Bluff won the first Class B title in '37 and successfully defended it in '38.

MSHSAA removed the color barrier in '52-'53. Last MNIAA tournament was in '55.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 7:56 PM

Hayti 1983

-- Posted by gianthook on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:00 PM

Sorry I was a year off it looks like but i knew they won

-- Posted by waveman on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:18 PM

Carbondale 59 Tilghman 55

Massac over Calloway Co in forfeit

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:37 PM

Missouri Championship history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mis...

-- Posted by nimbus on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:43 PM

Heading back home from Farmington, and all I was saying was we know what Charleston has done, if anyone desrves to gloat it is SCC, and you never see that, I know how many championships youve won, everyone does but it doesnt really matter today is what I am saying.

-- Posted by stlscott on Tue, Jan 15, 2013, at 8:49 PM

Why forfeit the game?calloway.. they must knew it's set for massac to beat them anyway..lol..lbvs

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:38 AM

I believe Calloway County cancelled because of bad weather. I was in Murray yesterday and it got bad, too bad to put kids on bus.

-- Posted by semo ref on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 9:54 AM

You are made to forfeit if its unsafe to put kids on a bus due to weather? Surely even those in charge of Superman wouldnt stoop that low...

-- Posted by gerardo on Wed, Jan 16, 2013, at 12:06 PM

Oh yea they will.. anything to get Massac into the next round or the championship game..I really don't like this tournament, but its a fine learning lesson on how to keep ur composure when the calls are not going ur way..

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:55 AM

If you go to Massac only thing you can count on is getting screwed!

-- Posted by Kobeyashi on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 8:54 AM

I wish sikeston would have signed up, so we could have 2 of the best teams in the semo conference in it..I hope our Jays bring home that Championship trophy..the refs was trying to keep Massac in the game vs the Jays last year, but the jays where to Hot to handle to Cold to hold, we had Tucker on the wing and he had control...Cassel & Jamal 2...but this is the present, so step it up Jays and take control before refs decide the outcome of the game..Watkins got a technical call last year and was suspended for a game for no reason..I got the flim and still. Didn't catch that one

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 11:49 AM

uncle- I'm sure you remember that Mckinley was a big time favorite leading into that game because of Monroe Douglass and Roland Gray who both played at SLU. Problem is, nobody up that way knew anything about a couple of guys Malden had by the name of Ray Pugh and Robert Ison.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 11:57 AM

I'd forgotten about Trey Watkins being called for that phantom flagrant foul. That was a call for the ages!!

-- Posted by birdfan on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 1:59 PM

Several years ago I was in attendance of a game at the Superman between Massas County and Paducah Tilghman. Tilghman lost and the fans felt the game was not called well. There had to be 100 water bottles thrown onto the floor. I can't remember who Massac had but I believe Tilghman was loaded with Brett Jones, Orlandus Hill and others.

-- Posted by jwhitlock on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 2:13 PM

I miss big Papi

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 3:07 PM

jwhitlock,

I think most people in StL expected McKinley to roll. As you say, the Goldbugs were very good-- the defending state champs with two great players, and in the pre-internet days the knowledge of outstate teams was limited. And I'm pretty sure Malden had nearly lost in the sectional or district final to NMCC, which probably made some StL folks think they weren't that good. (I ran into a stranger at a track meet at Lafayette High School a couple of years ago who gave me the play-by-play of the last moments of the NMCC-Malden game. I think he had played for NMCC and still had not gotten over it.)

I didn't see the Malden-McKinley quarterfinal but talked to one of the refs years later. He said he had never reffed a high school game like it. Said it was played above the rim at both ends.

-- Posted by unclegrubworm on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 3:10 PM

They gave Trey Watkins that technical, bc he's Caucasian, and it wouldn't look so bad giving it to him instead of a African American on Charleston..they wanted Massac 2 shoot 4 free throws and get the ball back, hoping that would change the momentum of the game for Massac advantage ..smh..if anyone would like a copy of that championship game I can make copies

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 4:17 PM

I remember that game or I was around when games like that took place. From what I can remember, back then, it seems like the teams from STL. or K.C. were supermen! The women also (remember the Lee's Summitt teams?).

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:53 PM

...I can remember K.C. Paseo and Anthony Peeler, etc.

-- Posted by STRAIGHTOUTTACHARLESTON on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 6:54 PM

Since we were talking about state titles (and someone mentioned Cape)...yes Cape won in '80, along with SCC and Charleston. 3 state champions in the SEMO Christmas tourney.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 9:41 PM

North Pem and SCC were both borderline Class 2 that year. One or 2 students either way and SEMO could of had 4/4

-- Posted by Swish on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 10:12 PM

Consolation Games

Meridian 89 Century 50 F

Calloway Co 66 Tilghman 63 F OT

-- Posted by nimbus on Thu, Jan 17, 2013, at 11:42 PM

Anyone have an update on the Charleston-Madison game?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 6:51 PM

Charleston 37

Madison 29

Halftime

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:13 PM

Charleston 60

Madison 45

After 3

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:24 PM

Charleston 84

Madison 62

Final

-- Posted by birdfan on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:43 PM

Charleston wins 84-62

-- Posted by silentplayer on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:45 PM

JAYS 84.

MADISON. 62

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Fri, Jan 18, 2013, at 7:46 PM

Massac Co over Carbondale 63-55

-- Posted by nimbus on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 1:52 AM

Thoughts on the charleston. Massac co game tonight?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:23 PM

What time is the game?

-- Posted by Johnny "Drama" on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 2:56 PM

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 4:17 PM

Can't find the Jays game on the radio. Can I get an update?

-- Posted by bluejay_fan_natic20 on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 8:06 PM

34-23 Charleston with 2:40 left till half.

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 8:42 PM

42-26 Charleston at half

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 8:47 PM

Birdfan, if your at the game Monday night, look me up. Would love to meet ya. That goes for anyone from Charleston coming to the game.

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:02 PM

52-42 Charleston start of the 4th

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:14 PM

56-46 with 4:39 left. Charleston leads.

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:20 PM

62-48 with 3:00 left

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:23 PM

64-50 2:20 left

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:24 PM

70-52 Charleston - Final

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:31 PM

Hull was named MVP of the tournament

-- Posted by mmorse on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 9:33 PM

Way to go Blue Jays!!!!

-- Posted by silentplayer on Sat, Jan 19, 2013, at 11:06 PM

Bigpapi...did u see those Jays lastnight?!! Champions indeed ... If the Jays play like this on the 31st, we're gonna win!! The team and the coaching has found the rotation that is needs, in certain situations in the game..We know if we need hard nose defense with speed , you put in the Bogan Brothers.. They give gaurds trouble!!! Massac was a pretty decent team aswell, but they jays applied pressure that they may have not seen since last year..LOL ..Back 2 Back :) for those who don't know, its kinda hard to go over to Massac and come back with that Trophy ... Way to take a risk Jay & everyone who drove to watch the game, bc Deer was everywhere on the back roads

-- Posted by theotherside23 on Sun, Jan 20, 2013, at 7:14 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration. If you already have an account , enter your username and password below. Otherwise, click here to register.

Username:

Password:  (Forgot your password?)

Your comments:
Please be respectful of others and try to stay on topic.