Semoball

High School Basketball Forum: Key Games (Jan. 2-5)

Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 7:53 PM:

Many teams are still on Christmas break and won't play again until next week, but we still have some marquee match-ups this week following the Christmas tournaments. On Saturday, the annual Tiger Shoot-Out will be played which matches some of the best teams in SEMO against St. Louis area teams. As always, I try to highlight the games that feature some of the best teams in SEMO, key conference/district games, or big rivalries.

Unless otherwise noted, all games begin at 6:00 p.m. Feel free to post predictions, scores, analysis, or other games you feel are key ones.

Wednesday, Jan. 2:

1. Oak Ridge at Scott City (re-match of the consolation championship of the SeMO X-Mas Tourney).

2. Fredericktown at Notre Dame.

Thursday, Jan. 3:

1. Bernie at Advance.

Friday, Jan. 4:

1. Portageville at Caruthersville.

2. Chaffee at Scott City.

3. Risco at Leopold.

4. Oran at Saxony-Lutheran.

5. Twin Rivers at Doniphan.

6. Campbell at Holcomb.

7. South Pemiscot at North Pemiscot.

Saturday, Jan. 5 (Tiger Shoot-Out at Cape Central High School):

1. Notre Dame vs. Miller Career Academy, 12:00 p.m.

2. Sikeston vs. Parkway South, 1:30 p.m.

3. Jackson vs. Lutheran South, 3:00 p.m.

4. Cape Central vs. Hazelwood South, 4:30 p.m.

Replies (136)

• Another key game to add to Saturday's line-up is the championship game of the Winter Warrior Classic between St. Vincent and Valle Catholic. Game time is 3:30 p.m. at Valle. Due to the snow-fall, the tournament finals were delayed until then.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 7:59 PM
  • One correction in the Tiger Shoot-Out. Cape plays Hazelwood West, not South. Sorry about that.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 8:24 PM

A couple of games of some interest Eminence at Alton and vanburen at south iron on friday!

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 9:46 PM
  • Eminence at Alton will be a good one, but Van Buren will get hammered by South Iron. VB did not impress me at the BCT going 0-2 as the #11 seed. I was expecting more of a showing from them in the consolation bracket considering their good record coming in.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 9:53 PM

Ok,I have only seen van buren once in the current river challenge and they handled clarkton easy i thought they had a good record.

-- Posted by porchswing on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:07 PM
  • Van Buren and Clarkton are two teams with decent records who have benefited from weak schedules. So far neither one has a quality win and they tend to get blown out when they meet a good team.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Tue, Jan 1, 2013, at 10:24 PM

Preach i seen where you were asking bill about phc they did win that tourney they beat farmington in the finals and farmington was playing pretty well had won 4 in a row including beating cape central coming into that tourney.PHC beat south iron in overtime and south iron had 3 starters foul out at the last 3 possesions of regulation.PHC has won 8 in a row record i believe is 10-4!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:09 AM
  • Thanks for the update porchswing. Looks like the Rebels are really on a roll!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:44 AM
  • Park hills has got one kid Drew Scaggs that can do it all.He can flat out play. They lost both games i watched but he did his part.

-- Posted by dickie v on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 1:57 PM

Is Drew related to Tanner Skaggs at all?? Played RB/DB and return KOs a couple years ago for PHC. Saw alot of the back of his 27 running away one year lol.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 2:32 PM
  • Bill, what do you know about Fredericktown? I know they were the #10 seed in the X-mas Tourney up there. In districts last year, they had a 6'8" kid who was a pretty good post player, but he may have graduated. Do they have much of a shot at ND tonight?

Also, how many of you think SC can even the score with OR tonight in their re-matach? Or will OR stick it to the Rams once again?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 2:59 PM
  • I saw the Skaggs kid a couple of years ago before his junior year when he played for BJ Smith in the Wolfpack program he looked like he was going to be a really solid player with goood size and skills to match.

-- Posted by objective fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 4:59 PM

I dont know much about them, what I know is that last year they had a pretty tall kid who I think that would still be there and his size alone would make them something, they still have there two guards who are quick as lightning but really lacking in size. This is all assuming that they all came back out. Right now last I saw they were 6-3 with only having 1 home game so they may have a good run in them if they can do well in some home games.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 5:17 PM

I got some more info, the lost to central in the tournament in overtime, which must have been the best game they played all year, won out the rest of the tournament. Before they had a couple of close games with Perryville which they won and Bismark, which they lost. Neither team overly impressive, they do however play Notre Dame tonight so that might be a rough one, but a good measuring stick at any rate

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 5:23 PM
  • Thanks again Bill! Good info!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 5:43 PM

Caruthersville will have a hard time beating any team with any kind of depth this year. Smith wants to run a full court press all game and only has 2 bench guys that he swaps in and out that being Gooden and Woods. I do not know of any 5 man rotation that can run a full court press the whole game and expect to be worth anything late in the game. We have given up so many easy buckets this year after teams have broken the press, way more than we have scored from turnovers off of those presses. We just need to really work on man to man in the half and our zone has gotten better than it was earlier in the year. I have so much belief in this team they are a very dangerous team if they can find the right mix of defensive looks throughout the game.

-- Posted by wheresthebeef on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 7:57 PM

Does anybody know the score on ND Fredericktown!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:09 PM

or the score of Oak Ridge and Scott City?

-- Posted by SportsMediaInformant on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:11 PM

Scott City 65 Oak Ridge 40, game at SC. Good win coming off of the Cmas Tournament loss for SC

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:41 PM

And ND put the thumpin I was expecting 77-32 on the Ftown BlackCats

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:53 PM

Thanks billshakespeare for those both of those scores surprise me just a bit not the winners but by how much!

-- Posted by porchswing on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 8:59 PM
  • I agree porchswing.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 9:35 PM

I was surprised with the SC score, but I figured the ND guard play and quickness would keep FredMo in check. We play ND next Tuesday at their place and their matchup and very hands on 2-3 usually gives us fits but Ive seen better zone ball movement out of this group than in previous years which gives me hope. We got a little size which will wont hurt us. We just cant get in a track meet. Then got Oran Friday so next week will be the week we see what SV's got. Especially with Oran being a Class 2 team as well.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 10:03 PM
  • Two big tests coming up for St. Vincent's for sure, Bill. Good luck Saturday against Valle. Hope the Indians can bring home the championship in the Winter Warriors Classic.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 10:16 PM

Thanks Much Preach, Theyre gonna give it everything they have. Im glad we are getting to at least a little relevance in the area, as small as it may be!

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 10:35 PM
  • Bill, is St. Vincent in the same district with Oran and Advance?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 10:46 PM

No were in District 4 with Crystal City, Crossroads Prep(Last Years Champ), Barat Academy(May be closed?), Elsberry, New Haven, Valle and then us.

Top 4 seeds could be in any order: SV, Valle, New Haven, Crossroads. With Elsberry being a wild card.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 10:57 PM

Crossroads: 7-1 No Dist. Opp.

St. Vincent: 7-1 2 Wins CC

Valle Catholic: 5-2 1 Win CC

New Haven: 6-4 No Dist. Opp.

Crystal City: 5-6 2 Losses to SV. 1 Loss VC.

Elsberry: 6-5 No Dist. Opp.

Barat: 2-3 No Dist. Opp.

Kingston: 2-7 No Dist. Opp.

Judging from record only this is where our district sits right now(Obviously Saturday will tell alot), SV, Valle, and Crystal usually get *some benefit of the doubt schedule wise because we play some tougher teams, and perhaps stlscott could shed more light on some of the teams from up there I only research their records.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:16 PM
  • Preach one thing I don't think you consider when you make these rankings is where a team is at in their season. Take Clarkton for example. They play about 3-4 Sophs in their varsity lineup. They are very talented but raw and they have a new coach. So that's why they might play good one night and not so good the next. They might stay that way all year or they might blow Risco out at the end I the year. Another team like that in my opinion is South Pem. They have 2-3 new players a second year coach plus some Sophs they're trying to work in at the varsity level. Compare them to a team like Holcomb who plays 6-7 seniors and a junior that all have years of experience under the same coach and I'm not saying South Pem will beat them but I think you have to consider these things when you make a statement like Clarkton gets blown out by good teams. Basketball season is very long and I can remember years where Dexter had great teams at Christmas only to lose at the end of the year. There are a handful of talented teams to keep an eye on like South Pem, Ckarkton, Portageville, and a few others that will get better as the year goes along. There are a few others headed in the other direction and right now I would put Caruthersville and SCC on that list.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Wed, Jan 2, 2013, at 11:39 PM

Im very stumped as to what rankings and list you're talking about, but it might just be too late for me.

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 12:00 AM
  • Bill, I'm a little stumped as well as to what rankings and list bootheelhooper is talking about as well. On my "Key Games" threads, I feature the games that in my opinion feature match-ups between the premiere teams in the area, key conference/district games, big rivalries, or tournament championships. The week Clarkton plays Risco, I will be sure to list it because its such a big rivalry and conference game. But because its just my opinion, I always invite other posters to comment on any other game they wish to add to my list. That goes for bootheelhooper too.

Maybe he's talking about my discussion with Sideline on rankings on his thread? Not sure. But I stand by my statement that when Clarkton plays a good team, they tend to get blown out. Notice that bootheelhooper did not dispute that. That may be due in part to a young team and new coach, but my observation is also based on recent history too. That's nothing against Clarkton. I wish the Reindeer nothing but the best.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 3:22 PM

I think the Reindeer could really start to show some signs of improvement in coming weeks. They have probably missed quite a few practices and not been as focused on basketball the previous few weeks due to the busy Chirstmas season.

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 3:37 PM
  • Rankings was a bad word to use my fault. I just think some teams are trending up and others are trending down. So when trying to pick who might win or lose games I try to think about that. I think there are a handful of teams where what you see is what you get. Holcomb, Bernie, Oran, Risco, and Hayti would be in that group for me. I don't see any of them getting a whole lot better this year. They'll make some small improvements and they're all very solid teams. Clarkton, South Pem, NMCC, and Kennett are all teams that could really get better over the next month. I just think those are teams to keep an eye on. Caruthersville, SCC, Portageville, and Notre Dame are all teams that could go either way. They're all right on the bubble of being very good or having major chemistry problems and going in the crapper. Charleston and Sikeston are the two teams that if they improve watch out because they are already very good. I really expect both teams to keep improving by the way. Sorry Preach I was just going off on a tangent and taking the discussion in another direction!

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 4:55 PM
  • Any update on Bernie/advance score

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 7:52 PM
  • Bernie 40 adv 29 half

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:05 PM
  • Any final score on Bernie game

-- Posted by yaeger on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:39 PM
  • Any update on advance Bernie game?

-- Posted by JohnTucker14 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:46 PM
  • No problem bootheelhooper. I don't actually disagree with your analysis all that much. I appreciate your POV.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:49 PM
  • Wow bermie by 3 final. Below hit 3 foul shoots with 4 tenths left im game. Bernie in bound ball and sam turner with a full court shot to win.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:57 PM

What a finish at Advance. Tie game with .4 left. Bernie scores on a 3/4 court desperation shot.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:58 PM
  • Bernie 69 Advance 66 final

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 8:59 PM

Please tell me someone got a video and will post to YouTube.

-- Posted by sideline starter on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:02 PM
  • Sounds like a great game! Wish I could've seen it! What a win for Bernie and what a bummer for Advance! Two teams that could very well see each other again in the playoffs.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:03 PM

Sportscenter!

-- Posted by BuckMajor on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:09 PM
  • Bernie I'm sure clinches top seed for the Stoddard County tournament upcoming. Good chance they'll see each other there.

-- Posted by DexterResident1976 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:26 PM
  • Seriously, does anyone have a video of this?? Could be ESPN material. Congrats on the amazing win by Bernie!

-- Posted by semo501 on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 9:36 PM

Bernie won but you can not legally catch turn dribble and shoot in .4 no way i saw it and the ref's should have never of counted that bucket!

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:14 PM
  • DR1976 you're exactly right, Bernie and Advance are clearly the best two teams in the SCAA and will almost surely meet again in the championship game of the conference tourney.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:14 PM
  • Bernie must improve on free throws. If we hit our free throws, this game and many others are not within 10 ponits. Thats part of the game though.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:25 PM
  • I thought there had to be .7 seconds left of the clock to legally catch and shoot the ball? I would have been infuriated if I was Advance's coach. Needless to say, I should have went to this one.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:38 PM
  • I thought there had to be .7 seconds left of the clock to legally catch and shoot the ball? I would have been infuriated if I was Advance's coach. Needless to say, I should have went to this one.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:38 PM
  • I saw the shot as well. First of all, I'm pretty sure he did not dribble at all. He had to bring it down a little though. I didn't hear the buzzer go off until it left his hand so it was good. Whether or not the clock keeper started the clock on time, I don't know. No one thought he would even attempt a shot, much less make it. It took everyone by surprise. I've never seen anything like that!

-- Posted by paulm on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:39 PM

You might be right paulm i thought he dribbled from where i was sitting he dedinitly took the ball down i thought he put it on the floor too.Whether he dribbled or not the shot should not have counted i don't have a dog in this fight but you can not catch and turn maybe dribble and shoot in .4 you barely have time legally to tip one in.

-- Posted by porchswing on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 10:48 PM
  • Not sure but i believe NBA says 3 tenths u must tip anything over that can be a quick shot.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Thu, Jan 3, 2013, at 11:03 PM
  • Pretty sure there must be at least 0.3 seconds to attempt a shot.

-- Posted by Skeet on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 1:33 AM

Sideline, I watched it on the webcast network. The camera stopped on the player as he flung it and you only see some crowd reaction. Hopefully one of the team videographers got it and will be willing/able to post it.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 8:08 AM
  • The rule states that a shot can be attempted with 0.4 seconds or more. 0.3 or less must be tipped in.

-- Posted by sm0723 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 8:46 AM
  • If that's the rule then everyone got it right. There were definately .4 seconds on the clock and he definately got it off before the horn sounded. Good job by the officials.

-- Posted by paulm on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:55 AM
  • Good job Bernie mules that was a win i was'nt sure of BIG WIN MULES.

-- Posted by dickie v on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 2:02 PM
  • In girls basketball there are two key games coming up on Saturday. Locally, the finals of the Delta New Year's Tournament has #1 Saxony Lutheran vs. #2 Woodland at 4 p.m. at Delta. Both teams have only one loss on the season. The consolation game is at 1 p.m. and the third place game is at 2:30 p.m.

Out of the area, the Dexter Lady Bearcats will play Webster Groves at the Prepcasts Elite Girls Shoot-Out V. Tip time is 1 p.m. at DeSmet High School in St. Louis. This will be Dexter's biggest test of the season, so good luck Lady Bearcats!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 4:37 PM
  • -- Posted by BBfanatic on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 5:35 PM
  • Anybody at the Chaffee-Scott City game?

-- Posted by pmstewert420 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 7:23 PM

Caruthersville leads Portageville at half 42-28. Monroe with 18

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 7:55 PM

@the half Oran leads Saxony 35-26.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 8:07 PM

Cville wins 80-64

-- Posted by Cheesehead. on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 8:38 PM

Oran defeats Saxony 68-50.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:13 PM
  • Clarkton defeated Malden 68-57

-- Posted by kdjones on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:14 PM
  • any score on the Risco/Leopold game

-- Posted by kdjones on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:20 PM
  • Leopold won big

-- Posted by boxout30 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:22 PM
  • 87-39

-- Posted by boxout30 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:23 PM
  • wow!!@!!!

-- Posted by kdjones on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:24 PM
  • Dexter 64, Woodland 23. By far the best game Dexter has played, esp. in terms of effort and defense. Hope it carries over next week against Bloomfield and Bernie!

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:27 PM
  • Twin rivers beat doniphan by 6 or 7.

-- Posted by Lloydchristmas on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:29 PM

Leopold over Risco in the battle of small gyms.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:30 PM
  • How'd Jack Lake do for Saxony?

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:38 PM

Richland defeats Bell City 83-55. Richard Forshee had 35 points and 22 rebounds.

-- Posted by catfish_162001 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:49 PM
  • Hey Preach, I know Miller career academy was Dexter girls biggest test SO FAR? Is WG better than MCA? Also, I figure Republic to be their biggest test of all season as they are currently 2nd in class 4. Do you think Dexter can play within 10 of either team? I am also curious to see what St. francois county central and Carbondale brings.

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 9:58 PM
  • Semolian, they way the Lady Bearcats are playing right now, I fully expect them to beat Webster Groves tomorrow. MCA did give Dexter their only loss of the season and WG is comparable to them. WG gave Incarnate Word a pretty good game. As far as Republic goes, I know nothing about them, but our girls should be able to play within 10 points of just about anyone.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:02 PM
  • Senath-Hornersville boys defeat Southlan 97-31.

Holcomb boys beat Campbell 60-35.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:03 PM

Preach you were right final South Iron 74-44 over vanburen does anyone know alton Eminence score!

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:19 PM
  • Nice win for Clarkton and Coach B.

-- Posted by CoachMathis44 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:31 PM
  • I appreciate the updates from everyone tonight. Scott City over Chaffee in OT 73-67. Also Bloomfield defeated East Prairie 54-42. Crystal City avenged an earlier loss to St. Vincent 62-41.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:32 PM

Dog2167: he did a good job I thought. He changed some.shots and blocked a few. He can score down low and had a nice break away dunk. I think he hurt his team by trying to score from beyond the arc. just my opinion.

-- Posted by Larry Doby on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:37 PM
  • Preach, are you gonna make the trip tomorrow to watch the Dexter girls play?

-- Posted by semolian on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 10:57 PM

Sorry late getting back into town, we just struggled tonight, never seen so many balls slip through hands, and just missed shot after shot. Bad night, get after it tomorrow again

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:00 PM
  • Alton 66, Eminence 63

-- Posted by richierich on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:05 PM
  • Thanks Larry! I hear he's doing good things at Saxony. I wondered how'd he do against a good team in Oran

-- Posted by dog2167 on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:13 PM

Thank you richierich preach was right again sounds like a good one.

-- Posted by porchswing on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:15 PM
  • Semolian, I'll be at the Park Hills Invitational tomorrow watching my boys wrestle for Dexter.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:42 PM
  • Naylor 59-54 over Neelyville

-- Posted by Kidrayray on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:43 PM
  • Alton Eminence game was pretty good, but officiating was no doubt an issue.

-- Posted by Areaguy on Fri, Jan 4, 2013, at 11:49 PM
  • Preach good call on Van Buren. Maybe a tad overrated. Like I said all week Clarkton is a team to watch. That is a huge win over Malden. Clarkton can be a force in Class 1 and in my opinion they are the dark horse team to make a run at Columbia. The only team with as much talent and athletic ability is Leopold. Can the deer put it together? Tonight is just one game. Wait and see but they're a team to watch. Cville also had a nice win over a struggling Pville squad. Pville and SCC are probably the two biggest letdown teams in the area right now. Cville needed a win to get on the right track especially with some tough games in front of them. The biggest shocker was Leopold blowing out Risco. Right now you have to say Leopold is the favorite to make it to state in Class 1.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 1:29 AM
  • South Iron is making a statement in Class 1. One has to admire the magnificent work the coaching staff at South Iron has done over last decade.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 3:02 AM
  • Clarkton is a basketball school with a basketball coach this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 3:05 AM

you are an idiot. Clarkton is terrible. so is malden.

-- Posted by nimbus on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 4:02 AM
  • nimbus, what school do you support and how good of a basketball player were you when you were in high school? I ask these questions because you are so disrespectful to other people's opinion, so you must have been the best, perhaps an NBA player.

-- Posted by kdjones on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 6:47 AM
  • Clarkton beat Malden who beat south pem who beat caruthersville who beat Portageville. So I guess all those teams are terrible? Why get on here and rip high school kids? Clarkton has about 3-4 Sophs making big contributions and they have a new coach. This is a young team!!! Are they good enough to beat sikeston or charleston? Not even close! But only 2 teams are good enough sikeston and charleston and that is sikeston and charleston. The rest of the "terrible" teams will just have to slug it out haha.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 9:20 AM

Didn't Clarkton get turboed by Risco? Wasn't this shortly after Dustin Ward called them a "perennial power" of the Tri-County Conference?

-- Posted by sideline starter on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 9:32 AM
  • That is correct sideline.

-- Posted by dont worry on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:21 AM
  • He's crude but right. Clarkton has about as much chance beating SCC and Leopold as Risco did in last night's 48 pt. drubbing.

-- Posted by gostlrams on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:27 AM

I don't think leopold is the favorite to make it to state in class 1 they have to be able to beat Eminence and South Iron haven't been able to beat those in the last 2 years.Is there a chance they will this year yes but i have to wait and see them get it done both of those teams are better than they were last year.

-- Posted by porchswing on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:33 AM
  • @ preach dexter played woodland that's why they played good I don't expect that to be the case against Bloomfield and they don't have a chance against Bernie @ Bernie

-- Posted by yaeger on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 11:59 AM
  • I like Bernie's chances, but Dexter always has a chance against Bernie. A lot more motivation for both teams during those games . . .

-- Posted by bluemules89 on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 12:30 PM
  • sideline starter

Clarkton is headed toward the top of the conference. When you take Holcomb and Campbell out of it after this season they are likely to consistently be a threat to win the conference.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 12:54 PM
  • No guarantee Scott County Central will even get to the championship of its district tournament.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 12:55 PM
  • Talking about Clarkton and being young, I think the young Delta C-7 is right up there with them. I've watched both teams and Delta can give you a run for your money, they need to sure up some ball handling but honestly neither team will be dominate, its a flip of the coin!

-- Posted by bigeyes on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 3:44 PM

SV up 21-17 after 1. Valle has 9 point off of free throws from "fouls"

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 4:13 PM
  • Im sorry Dustin but there isnt any good teams in the bootheel this year.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 4:44 PM

St Vincent beat Valle on a last second put back 63-61. Valle had to shoot at least 75% from 3, it was impressive. An exciting game

-- Posted by BillShakespeare on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 5:18 PM
  • Stlscott

I would think multiple Class 2 teams in the Bootheel are as good as any Class 2 team in Missouri.

I think Class 1 overall is very weak in the southeast Missouri region with the exception of Leopold.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 5:30 PM
  • I agree with Dustin and I said this earlier. There are 2 "good teams" in SEMO right now and that would be charleton and sikeston. That is if we're going by state title chances. However I would say there are at least 10 other teams in the SEMO area with a shot at winning a district and maybe getting to state. Oran, Advance, Hayti, Bernie, Holcomb, South Pem, Portageville, Leopold, South Iron, and Eminence all have a chance in class 1 and 2. I think NMCC, Caruthersville, Kennett, ND, and Cape all have decent teams that jut happen to be class 3 and 4 where they're going to run into sikeston and charleston. So it all depends on what you call "good" I guess. Do you have to win state to be good? I don't think so but I agree with stl that there isn't a really good or great team in te bootheel this year mainly because Cville and Kennett haven't been as good as advertised and the class 2 schools are all good but not great in my opinion.

-- Posted by bootheelhooper on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 6:04 PM
  • Dexter Lady Bearcats defeated Webster Groves 65-61. Great win for our girls.

Yeager, you'd think from your answer to my post on the Dexter boys that I'd declared them SCAA champs or something. All I said was it was their best game so far, esp. in terms of effort and defense. Yes it was against Woodland, but the effort and defensive intensity was still there.

Stlscott, I love ya man, but you make way too many overgeneralizations that come back and bite you in the keister! And saying there are no good teams in the bootheel is one of them. In Class 2, Bernie and Holcomb are outstanding and Hayti is improving. Oran and Advance, while not in the bootheel, are in SEMO, and are also very good. I fully expect one of those five teams to be in Columbia this season with a chance to win it all.

In Class 4, Kennett is also very good with a chance to be special, esp. if they can fix a few defensive problems. Sadly, they are in the same district with Sikeston.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sat, Jan 5, 2013, at 9:14 PM
  • Teams with a center and a point guard will traditionally perform the best in the playoffs. Some Class 2 schools in the Bootheel have that formula. It's hard to say what other regions of the state have to offer. The Springfield area seems to produce contenders to win state titles in almost every sport over the last five years. Just an observation.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:41 AM
  • One might also present an argument Oran has the right elements to make a deep playoff run.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 2:52 AM
  • There are a handful of solid teams in semo and 2 good ones but I dont put any of those teams in the bootheel.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 3:08 AM
  • stlscott

I see nothing that indicates the Class 2 teams in the Missouri Bootheel are not capable of competing with Advance or Oran. Last season Hayti was more than 20 points better than Oran in the state quarterfinal.

The Class 2 teams don't have to play Charleston or Sikeston to get to the state final four and they probably won't care if they could beat Sikeston or Charleston if they get that far.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 3:25 AM
  • I'm not convinced any of the Class 1 teams in the north or south could beat Holcomb, Bernie, or Hayti.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 3:26 AM
  • But we will find out soon enough. The stage is set for a Friday night showdown when Scott County Central visits Holcomb on Feb. 1.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 4:25 AM
  • Go to bed Dustin.

-- Posted by Uncle Charlie on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:01 AM
  • The problem Dustin is SCC nor Holcomb is any good.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:20 AM
  • Dustin don't pay attention to stlscott he knows nothing about the game. Holcomb is very solid and SCC not bad ether.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 7:40 AM
  • Stlscott, now I'm calling your hand on Holcomb. Give me some solid reasons why you say they are no good or else quit making these overgeneralizations.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:37 AM
  • I don't know; I haven't seen Leopold play, but when you have 6'5", 6'5", 6'5" and a 6'6". I would say you should be able to compete with just about any class 1 or 2 team. As a famous HOF coach once said, "You can't teach height"

-- Posted by KnowNothing on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:49 AM
  • Ill be honest I havent seen Holcomb play live, but I have seen tape, and I just dont see it, and as far as Scott county goes I've seen them play live a few times and they just aren't very good period, and Im a SCC honk, not this year guys.

-- Posted by stlscott on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:22 PM
  • stlscott:

Holcomb IMO is a good class 2 team that can make it to state play. 2 reasons, they play good defense and Massey. You have to slow Massey way down to beat them.

-- Posted by BBfanatic on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 12:57 PM
  • Yeah, I hate to say it, but SCC just isn't very good this year. They'll be lucky to even make it out of districts. Realistically they could get knocked out in the district semi's.

-- Posted by FarmBoy06 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 3:18 PM

I would not count scc out until they are put out i know they are down but they beat advance once lost to them in buzzer beater the other time.Then advance beat leopold by 14 i know they lost to oakridge who leopold trounced but it just goes to show you any given game if the talent is fairly close!

-- Posted by porchswing on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 4:20 PM
  • If you have a center you have a chance in the playoffs. It will open up your perimeter shooters and get your opponent's defenders in foul trouble.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 5:32 PM
  • I will add Holcomb's defense has made three above average offenses struggle for long stretches in games this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 5:36 PM
  • Yah preach I'll be rootin hard for ur dexter girls this year. Are they ever gonna be able to beat miller career? Hopefully this year! I dont see em having any probs with nd in districts or farmington in next round. But miller is a worry!!

-- Posted by cirithungol17 on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:10 PM
  • Thanks cirithingol17, we appreciate the support. I don't think we have to worry about Miller Career until the final four this season. I think Incarnate Word will likely handle them for us though. As for Notre Dame, they have a solid team and you can never look past them. I know Coach Allen won't let that happen.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:42 PM
  • Also, stlscott, I'm not letting you off that easy on Holcomb. Watching one game isn't enough to form a conclusive opinion, because any team can have an off night. Watch their game against Kennett in the BCT championship on-line and tell me what you think then. Holcomb has the experience, guards, shooting, FT%, post-play, defense, and coaching to make alot of noise this year. What more do they need to be a good team?

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 8:52 PM
  • Preacher man fan Incarnate word might win state. They are for reel. But I wish the lady bearcats goodluck.

-- Posted by dickie v on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:15 PM
  • Dickie V, I agree with you that Incarnate Word is the best girls team in the state right now. USA Today had them ranked #10 nationally not long ago according to stlscott.

-- Posted by Preacher Man Fan on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 9:47 PM
  • One has to like the Dexter girls chances of finishing in the Top 3 in Class 4 this season.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:04 PM
  • One has to wonder how anyone could accurately rank the Top 10 teams in the nation in high school basketball.

-- Posted by Dustin Ward on Sun, Jan 6, 2013, at 11:08 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: